Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,579 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired (33325 Views)

I Didn't Negotiate My Salary Well / JOBS TIPS: Read How To Negotiate “salary” During An Interview / How To Negotiate Salary During Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by oluwaskulboy(m): 8:57am On Feb 13, 2017
In the realm of recruitment, the salary is one of the most fundamental elements that eventually decides the outcome of the hiring process.
For the employer, it determines whether a candidate will be hired or not and for the prospective employee, it plays a vital role in whether the job offer will be accepted or turned down.

Interestingly, salary negotiation is usually considered a part of the interview process.
Salary negotiation is the process whereby an employer and potential employee discuss and reach an agreement on how much will be paid for the services, knowledge, experience and skills the potential employee will be bringing to the company.

This process often begins with an offer from the employer, which is usually met by either a request to review or acceptance from the potential employee.

In some situations, the offer from the employer comes with a deadline for consideration of the offer. In cases like this, the salary negotiation happens over a specified period of time; at the end of which the offer from the hiring company is either accepted or turned down.
The salary negotiation, when successful; that is, if the potential employee accepts the offer, is followed by an employment offer from the employer.

Meanwhile, you should bear in mind that besides the salary itself, every item within the salary structure is negotiable and these include hours of work tied to the salary, designation, severance pay, the benefits package, policy on public holidays and much more.

Salary negotiations are very important for both the employer and the potential employee because if not well anchored, the aftermath plays out in the form of disgruntled employees or an overpaid employee who doesn’t deserve what he earns in the estimation of the employer.
Such an employee would, therefore, be considered ineligible for any form of increase in compensation over a given period of time.

Below are 10 tips that put you in a stronger position to negotiate for a higher salary.

Anticipate hard questions
Understand the difference between Gross Salary and Net Salary
Make a request for offer review
Strengthen your negotiation with research
Don’t constitute a nuisance
Re-emphasize your availability and interest
Approach it as a business deal
Practice as much as you can
Who are you negotiating with?
Bring something impressive to the table

Source: http://www.careerloaded.com.ng/2017/02/handle-salary-negotiation.html

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by ghettowriter(m): 10:30am On Feb 13, 2017
Were art thy
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by BlueRayDick: 12:22pm On Feb 13, 2017
I hear u. All these oyinbo articles u people are trying to practise in Nigeria setting will keep more people jobless. Shey its those employers that already have a pay structure for different category of staff that will want u to negotiate salary or those that already made up their mind not pay pass a certain figure, that u want to negotiate with?

Except u are an expatriate or coming in with wealth of experience, then forget about it.

E wee not work.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by voicelez: 12:34pm On Feb 13, 2017
After the negotiation they just keep owing you for months... entrepreneur is the only way forward. Your salary bargains with your hardwork

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by passyhansome(m): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
Na your Papa company, meanwhile except you have an outstanding result and your Resume is top notch, be ready to settle for anything they bring to the table

3 Likes

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Olateef(m): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
My girlfriend broke up with me. She thinks that I'm childish. So, I calmed down. Took a deep breath. Went to her house. Rang the doorbell and then ran away..

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by veekid(m): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2017

make i bookmark this

2 Likes

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by shevchenko(m): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
Very useless write up
It doesn't help a job candidate .Just another way to generate traffic

Who u epp?

7 Likes

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by chordrylateral(m): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2017
Am coming back to read it ooo. Let me check other news first

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by bemnickenzie: 12:36pm On Feb 13, 2017
Ok na
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by jamalnation(m): 12:36pm On Feb 13, 2017
Noted
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Dhayor001(m): 12:36pm On Feb 13, 2017
From experience, this only works well when you have a job already and you are moving to another organization.

First time job seeker and you are yarning beans? No worries.... you go jam your CV for bus stop when you buy akara and pomo.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by BrightEye(m): 12:36pm On Feb 13, 2017
uhmn
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by holybabayo(m): 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
This look like a copy paste article. Explain the main point better. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
In Nigeria, salary negotiations are not applicable to very big coys especially if the job is for graduate trainee. You take whatever you get...except if you're referring to those little 'one man' businesses.
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
grin grin grin grin

I hear
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by jeeqaa7(m): 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
I will try it wen I get a job
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by figure007(m): 12:38pm On Feb 13, 2017
Have made mistakes about this salary issues at an interview before and would have gotten the job but all the same I thank God saa... One thing you should do is have it at the back of your mind the salary range you want ..before going for the interview you should have a salary quotation at the back of your mind ...so don't waste time poundering on it when being asked
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by ayusco85(m): 12:39pm On Feb 13, 2017
BlueRayDick:
I hear u. All these oyinbo articles u people are trying to practise in Nigeria setting will keep more people jobless. Shey its those employers that already have a pay structure for different category of staff that will want u to negotiate salary or those that already make up their mind not pay pass above a certain figure, that u want to negotiate with?

Except u are an expatriate or coming in with wealth of experience, then forget about it.

E wee not work.

Preach it hombre

2 Likes

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by mu2sa2: 12:40pm On Feb 13, 2017
BlueRayDick:
I hear u. All these oyinbo articles u people are trying to practise in Nigeria setting will keep more people jobless. Shey its those employers that already have a pay structure for different category of staff that will want u to negotiate salary or those that already make up their mind not pay pass above a certain figure, that u want to negotiate with?

E wee not work.
GBAM.

1 Like

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by nabegibeg: 12:43pm On Feb 13, 2017
Story story story
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Spidermon: 12:45pm On Feb 13, 2017
Most job offers are "take it or leave it"

60k jobs ooo

Let govt properly encourage farming. We can feed Africa and forget oil sef
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Vickiweezy(m): 12:48pm On Feb 13, 2017
tongue
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by johhnnie(m): 12:50pm On Feb 13, 2017
Olateef:
My girlfriend broke up with me. She thinks that I'm childish. So, I calmed down. Took a deep breath. Went to her house. Rang the doorbell and then ran away..

You are so hillarious! You made my day!!!
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2017
BlueRayDick:

E wee not work.

You dey mind op, wen be say like 50,000 people are just waiting for you to make a foolish move make them corner your employment... Be negotiating salary.
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by citee(m): 12:55pm On Feb 13, 2017
oluwaskulboy:

Source: http://www.careerloaded.com.ng/2017/02/handle-salary-negotiation.html

Op i can tell you for free as someone who is deeply involved in hiring staff that unless the company needs you(your unique talent) more than you need the company , you cannot dictate what your salary will be. Some organizations have a salary band for certain positions and more often than not you will be accommodated within that bracket. With the current state of things in the country, you will often find someone who is as qualified if not better qualified and who is willing to accept the salary you think is too small for you.

1 Like

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by nmreports: 12:56pm On Feb 13, 2017
Cool.
You can also read thos for a different perspective.
This has worked for my blog followers.

How To Negotiate Your Salary:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/11/how-to-negotiate-your-salary-with-new.html
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by bizhop01: 1:01pm On Feb 13, 2017
Oga Johnny you Just dey Come to nija? welcome, nija dong wear bum shot since....

1 Like

Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by Seun4FastLoans(f): 1:10pm On Feb 13, 2017
Okay
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by TinaAnita(f): 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2017
Is it not when you manage to find a job that the issue of salary comes up? I beg next post pls!
Re: This Is How You Negotiate Salary When You Are About To Be Hired by jinxet2000: 2:08pm On Feb 13, 2017
Often times, the wiser way is to find your way in first then work hard to become the best and then you can renegotiate your salary, then you are indispensable. Otherwise, the recruiter will tell you that they will get back to you and you will wait till ancient and modern. Next you call to know what is going on, they will tell you that the position has been filled. I am not saying that you should not negotiate but know when you are pushing beyond boundaries.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some Tough Interview Questions And Their Answers / Ideas About PZ Cussons Aptitude Test / NGC Unltd:real Or Fake?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.