Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Bolt Wins Jamaica Fairwell - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Bolt Wins Jamaica Fairwell (457 Views)

Inside Anthony Joshua’s Luxury £2,000 Per Night Villa In Jamaica / Usain Bolt Wins First Professional Football Match / Usain Bolt's Feet Causes Commotion On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bolt Wins Jamaica Fairwell by Aldebaran(m): 8:11pm On Jun 11, 2017
Usain Bolt overcame a rare bout of nerves and a slow start to produce a winning farewell in front of his home fans in Jamaica.

The sprint great, winner of eight Olympic gold medals, will retire from competitive athletics after the World Championships in London in August.

The 30-year-old's final race in Kingston, at a meeting featuring most of the world's leading athletes, attracted a crowd of more than 30,000, including the island's Prime Minister Andrew Holness and IAAF president Sebastian Coe.

Bolt was slowly out of the blocks but quickly took command of the race and crossed the line in 10.03 seconds before making an emotional victory lap in front of his adoring fans.

"I don't think I've ever been that nervous running a 100m. I think that was possibly one of my worst races. My execution was poor, my start was poor as always. I think in the last bit I lost it a little," Bolt said.

"But I didn't expect anything spectacular. [It was] my first race since January when I ran a 150m and some relays in Australia so I just wanted to stay injury free, put on a show for the crowd and shown them I'm thankful for the support over the years.

"Just the atmosphere and the people, the support they came out and give me tonight, it was really nerve-racking. I never expected this, I knew it was going to be big, the stadium was ram packed so thank you guys for coming out and supporting me."

Mo Farah was also in action at the Racers Grand Prix event, winning the 3,000m in a time of seven minutes, 41.20 seconds ahead of Australian Patrick Tiernan and Jamaica's Kemoy Campbell.

South African star Wayde van Niekerk continued his fine form with a world's best run of 19.84 seconds - also a national record - in winning the 200m.

But there was a shock defeat for 800m great David Rudisha, who ran his fastest time of the season so far but was caught and passed by Kenyan team-mate Willy Tarbei, who won the race in one minute, 44.86 seconds.

http://www.skysports.com/more-sports/athletics/news/29175/10911887/usain-bolt-wins-emotional-final-race-in-jamaica

(1) (Reply)

Alli And Kane Worth More Than Messi And Ronaldo - CIES / Official : Davy Klassen Joins Everton From Ajax For A Reported Fee Of €27m / TRANSFER NEWS: The 40 Stars Who Could Be Free Transfer Next Season.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.