Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,516 members, 7,819,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work (15131 Views)

I Regret Ever Reading Political And Administrative Studies At The UNIPORT. / UNICAL Students Confronted With "Nigerian Youth Are Lazy" Question In Exam / Ten Tips That Will Boast Your Exam Preparation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by atop1(m): 3:22am On Jun 13, 2017
Let’s face the fact, reading is not an easy task. Especially, when you are just starting out. In fact most of us only read when exam is close or whenever we have a presentation. But what if you find a way to make reading interesting, what if there is a magic wand you can wave that get your hand and mind stick to reading and you just can’t wait to have that book in front of you. Yes, this is possible and the tips I will be sharing with you will help you do just that. These tips will work for even the laziest man in the world.
Let’s get to the point
1. Change your believe
Reading is fun.
Here we go. You probably looked surprised. Because you have had bad experience reading, and here I am telling you it is not only easy but fun.
Most reading problems we have today are based on the perception that reading is hard. It is if you believe it is. You’ve seen reading as a stressful, time consuming work that require you to sacrifice all your happiness and deprive you of having fun. No, reading does not have to be that way. In fact you have to start having fun while you read. Which is why a change of believe is very important if you are going to be lazy at reading and still catch some fun.

2. Less hour means more productivity
Break your reading into small sessions. Long continuous hours of reading is a bad habit you must stop. Research have shown that: for human being, the optimum level of assimilation while reading comes within the first 30minutes of reading. Your level of assimilation reduces as time passes. Not only the level of assimilation, but also the energy and the enthusiasm also decreases as time passes.
Instead of reading for long continuous hours, that does good to no one, what you should do is to split your reading into sessions and then having short break between these sessions. Go have some fun during this short breaks. Play football, watch movie, talk to a friend or eat.
3. Read to forget
Most of us make the mistake of trying to get every detail in a book at once. It takes time to assimilate 100% of the content in a book. Which is why you should cultivate the habit of repeated reading, read again and again. The only time you get scared is when you think you will not remember what you have read and you think that moment can be a waste of your time. The secret is to read to forget. If you read to forget then you will never forget and you will never be afraid of not learning anything from what you have read.
4. Know yourself
Knowing yourself require knowing when you are best fit to read. Knowing when your brain assimilate best, and under what condition. Are you a silence loving reading type or a noise loving reading guru? For me it has always been in the morning and at night when everywhere is more silent.
So you have to read yourself first to detect what part of the day and what condition you assimilate best. A good way to do this is to test your reading assimilation skills (RAS) under several conditions during the period of one week. And rate your performance under each condition on a scale of 1 to 5. At the end of the week you should have a good look of when you are best fit to read.

5. Never use a Reading Timetable
Some of us have form the habit of forming a reading timetable, some will even hang it on their room wall to boast to friends, this is something I will advise you to quit. The only time table you should have is when to read, not what to read. Because when you have a timetable of what to read, you will be putting yourself under the pressure of having to read a particular course, whether you feel like reading it or not. What you want to do is to pick what interest you at a particular time and just read that. You might be thinking, how will I be able to cover my course work if I keep reading the same book? But the truth is, your interest will always change, the same way your taste constantly change for the type of food you want to eat.
6. A quick scanning please
Scanning is one you might be familiar with. It is simply flipping through the pages of your selected book and reading the headings and sub- heading. Lot of people will neglect scanning before reading and guess what happen when they do, they waste a lot of their precious time reading irrelevant things that are not in line with their set objective, then they come out bragging about reading for X hours most of which was used reading irrelevant topics. This could be helpful to some extent but if you are like me, you want to get the most important detail in the book because probably you are working on a deadline. A good scanning habit can you save time.
7. Be Adventurous
Reading is all about time and place. A good way to add some fun to reading is by being adventurous while you read. Being adventurous require you to move from one place to another. You might want to leave your desk to sitting under a tree or inside a car. This will save you from boredom that might result if you read on a single spot every time
8. Take a Break, catch some fun
Taking a break will help you replenish the reduced enthusiasm and energy. While taking your break, you have to set the number of hours you will use for your break. Mind you, what you do during these breaks is very important and this will determine your level of enthusiasm. So you should engage yourself in exercise that get you excited enough that will make your brain feel relaxed. Some of the things you can do are: have a conversation with a friend, go see some sites that interest you, engage in some mind relaxing activities, eat some snacks, watch a short movie or watch small part of a long movie, if you can resist the temptation. Under no circumstance should you use more than your budgeted time.
I will confess to you that I myself get caught in the act of using more time for break, it is normal and you can still survive with this but a good way not to overdo it is to always remember your set goals and what that means to you.

9. Learn the art of repeated reading
As a student or employee, you have deadline to meet, test or exams to write or a presentation to give. Reading close to deadline will cause you stress, a lot of it, and will also put fear in you. As much as you can avoid reading close to deadline as you will always want to get every details at once which is very bad for assimilation.
When I was in my second year in the University, there was a lot for me to cover at short period of time. So I realized this very early and I started reading before the school even resume properly for the session, this helped me alot and save me from the exam tension that most student get by reading close to the exam as I have read and re-read those books I was supposed to read.
Each time you re-read a text, you get new details that you were unable to identify the previous time you read. You also get to retain the details you have gotten from your previous reading and this will serve as an assertion to what you are reading as you might have gotten the meaning wrong from the first time you read.

What are your lazy reading tips? Share them in the comment box below
Source:http://blog.offkrent.com/?p=32

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Nobody: 5:02am On Jun 13, 2017
ok na

1 Like

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Nobody: 5:05am On Jun 13, 2017
Really helpful... Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Aminu212: 6:52am On Jun 13, 2017
nice
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Johnnyakins: 7:01am On Jun 13, 2017
Aiit
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by SeniorZato(m): 7:07am On Jun 13, 2017
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Onyinye15(f): 7:08am On Jun 13, 2017
Good

1 Like

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Mopelawlar(f): 7:10am On Jun 13, 2017
Dat N0 1,4,7 n 8 re d key points
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Amosjaj(m): 7:10am On Jun 13, 2017
H
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Stanleyville(m): 7:11am On Jun 13, 2017
Lazy students would love this post!!

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Xsem(m): 7:12am On Jun 13, 2017
You really need a time table.Why?
If someone is to adhere to your advice of reading what interests him more rather than what ought to be read or studied, the individual in question would be lagging behind in that particular course that he had neglected due to lack of interest. Time table helps you to me more coordinated,you know when to do what and at what time.Time table will help you ensconce a particular subject to the time when you feel it will be more convenient for you to read and understand it properly.
There is nothing like interest changing,even if it does it seldom happens. I would advise my students to make use of time table always.
When I was in secondary school,i had a friend who was lagging behind in all his subjects,this was because he continued to read mathematics only at the expense of other subjects.So he was always gaunt and looked worried all the time.I ask him what the problem was and he told me everything. I just solved his whole problem by drafting out a time table for him. Up till today he is still grateful for that.

10 Likes

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Nobody: 7:17am On Jun 13, 2017
cool
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by eezeribe(m): 7:18am On Jun 13, 2017
In summary... If you want to hide something from a black man,put it in a book.
This post is a testament of that.
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by rockboyfly: 7:29am On Jun 13, 2017
Sweet, beautiful, wise, wisdom, insight, knowledge, understandin sold for a token. I wish my generation go with these ones then it will be one the ways 2 ve a new "Nigeria" better than we ve had since 1960 till date.
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by chiefolododo(m): 7:30am On Jun 13, 2017
Good
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by rfnextar8(m): 7:33am On Jun 13, 2017
good
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by BeastOfAfrica(m): 7:41am On Jun 13, 2017
The reading time table part...
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Nobody: 7:41am On Jun 13, 2017
OK now I have exams on Wednesday. lemme try this today, and see how my tomorrow exam will be
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 13, 2017
Reading for long hours is not so disadvantageous because there is only a decrease in brain efficiency.Preparing earlier for exams is the best.

Also improving ones vocabulary helps.Reading alot is often defined as the secret of intelligence in some people.Do what works for you as the op said.

1 Like

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by temmypotter(m): 7:46am On Jun 13, 2017
I really don't think a lot of these reading tips apply to Science courses especially mathematics and physics, when you've got people like Einstein, Lorentz, Schrödinger and all those sadists who wouldn't stop publishing papers after papers accompanied with complex mathematics! the idea is read, jack, cram, crash jack, over night jack, over day jack, study, meditate sef and hope to God you don't forget in the exam hall. speaking of which mine is in two days.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by yrex01(m): 7:50am On Jun 13, 2017
Stanleyville:
Lazy students would love this post!!
na ur LAZY

1 Like

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by mickywonder: 7:54am On Jun 13, 2017
never seen any effective method of Reading other thank these
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by BeastOfAfrica(m): 7:55am On Jun 13, 2017
Evaberry:
OK now I have exams on Wednesday. lemme try this today, and see how my tomorrow exam will be

I laugh at you in Swahili
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by eustacey: 7:57am On Jun 13, 2017
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by twentyk(m): 8:28am On Jun 13, 2017
the best is to know urself.....as for me as long as im calm and dont have anything on my mind plus "a not very silent place....i like to hear murmur....cant read where is dead silent.....i read in the open i like to see things move past,occasionally wave at someone,find small trouble and go back to my books......know thy self......
some people love silence and library.....i cant
i know a girl who read with earpiece on.....i cant cuz i go just dey rap dey go
some people its midnight,some afternoon,some morning......me anytime im calm
oh and one last one for me...i dont force read....if sleep come asap i sleep....cuz anything i read while surpressing sleep is for the gods....
i have this crazy confidence with text and exam though....if i no sabi am,person beside me go sabi

2 Likes

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by hollowpot15684(m): 8:29am On Jun 13, 2017
productivity hacks on nairaland always make sense..

thanks for sharing this. Though i already implement some of this hacks, I'm able to upgrade my knowledge too.

1 Like

Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by twentyk(m): 8:30am On Jun 13, 2017
the best is to know urself.....as for me as long as im calm and dont have anything on my mind plus "a not very silent place....i like to hear murmur....cant read where its dead silent.....i read in the open i like to see things move past,occasionally wave at someone,find small trouble here and there and go back to my books......know thy self......
some people love silence and library.....i cant
i know a girl who read with earpiece on.....i cant cuz i go just dey rap dey go
some people its midnight,some afternoon,some morning......me anytime im calm
oh and one last one for me...i dont force read....if sleep come asap i sleep....cuz anything i read while surpressing sleep is for the gods....
i have this crazy confidence with text and exam though....if i no sabi am,person beside me go sabi and if nor sabi person for back go sabi or for front....
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by enigmatic741: 8:38am On Jun 13, 2017
Really Helpful..God bless you..
Re: 9 Lazy Reading Tips That Work by jworos(m): 8:44am On Jun 13, 2017
Evaberry:
Lol,me too got exams on Wednesday, I like reading and forgetting. After reading ask me any question you will never get am answer, but when it's time everything will just start pouring out.
I love reading and listening to music wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Most Amazing Mummy Discoveries Around The World(Photos) / Apply For Free Tuition In Sweden Without Toefl,ielts / Out-of-school Children Across States In Nigeria (ages 6–15)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.