Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

4 Big Myths About Making Your Own Dog Food - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 4 Big Myths About Making Your Own Dog Food (477 Views)

Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True / 6 Myths About Hangovers Dispelled. / 6 Myths About Healthy Eating You Shouldn’t Believe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

4 Big Myths About Making Your Own Dog Food by leslimark(m): 3:54am On Jun 14, 2017
Making your own dog food is something every dog owner should know how to do. It's been clinically proven that simply by not feeding your dog commercial food, you can extend the life of your canine pal by 8 years on the average - this includes large dogs. The reason is that the food you are feeding your dog, yes even "top shelf" dog foods, contain preservatives, poisons that have been banned from human foods for causing cancer and in most cases, other cats and dogs.

That last sentence give you a little pause? Don't be shocked, many cities quietly have "arrangements" with pet food companies to process the dead animals from both shelters as well as zoos. The City of Los Angeles alone sends two tons of euthanized dogs and cats to local pet food processing facilities. These animals were put down using phenobarbital, that phenobarbital from these animals is also present in the food your dog eats and has been linked to kidney failure.

Those are compelling reasons alone to consider making your own pet food however many people are resistant to the idea. There are four big myths that keep people from making their own dog food and now you're going to learn the truth.

Myth #1 Making your own dog food is not complete nutrition for your dog.

This is most people's main concern and it's so easy to give your dog complete nutrition. Pet food companies have everyone so snowed with their advertisements that this or that food is the only 100% nutritionally complete dog food. When in actuality you can create nutritionally superior foods yourself. There are hundreds upon hundreds of recipes and you can add a dash of flax oil, canine nutritional supplement drops or other needed nutrient to make every meal really complete and there are no additives, preservatives or poisons to harm your dog - just good food because you made it yourself.

Myth #2 Making your own dog food is smelly and will stink up your kitchen.

This was my own personal reason for not making my own dog food. I am a vegetarian and I know that a vegetarian diet isn't optimum nutrition for my dogs but I thought the smell of meat would gag me. Initially you might think your kitchen will smell like a giant can of dog food but that's not the case at all. I decided the health of my dogs meant more than my nose and I was surprised to find that making your own dog food doesn't stink in the slightest. You can use raw or cooked meat in most dog food recipes (your choice) and there is little to no odor and the scents you do occasionally get when you're putting together your own dog food recipes are just delicious. One summer day when I was making a Veggie Loaf for my dogs my neighbor popped on my porch and asked what the delicious smell was and the look on his face was priceless when I told him I was making dog food!

Myth #3 Making your own dog food is expensive.

This is a huge myth that keeps people from making their own dog food. Actually you save a ton of money by making your own dog food. Since you use almost all fresh ingredients and fresh produce is far cheaper than anything that has been processed, you're saving money right there and I find with most recipes I can make a week's worth of food for my two dogs for roughly what a day's feeding would cost with commercial dog food. Plus, I have the complete satisfaction of knowing exactly what my dogs are eating.

Myth #4 Making your own dog food takes up too much time.

The first few times you make your dog food it can take a little longer because you're learning a new technique. However, I can make a week's worth of dog food for my pooches in about an hour from start to finish. I put individual servings into freezer bags and put those individual servings into one large freezer bag marked "Dog Food". This part is important because before I did it this way - my family mistakenly pulled out food meant for the dogs thinking it was something yummy to thaw out for themselves for a quickie meal.

And there you have it, your excuses are gone. If you're ready to increase the energy, vitality and lifespan of your canine companions, learn to make your own dog food. It's easy, affordable and there are tons of recipes for both dog food and healthy dog treats. You won't spend a lot of time in the kitchen, but you will get years longer with your dog.

(1) (Reply)

3 Reasons Why You Need To Lose Weight / Experts Laud Effectiveness Of Chivita 100% Breakfast Campaign / Honey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.