Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,489 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True (26176 Views)

Don't Let These Food Myths Hold You Back! They're Not True! / Times Are Really Hard For Most People / 15 Diet And Nutrition Myths That Are Totally False (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Revolva(m): 1:56pm On May 18, 2018
You’ve no doubt heard many tales about food and nutrition: which foods to avoid and which to gorge on, which are carcinogenic and which cause acne. But not all should be taken at face value! i share some of the most common food myths,

Microwaving food kills nutrients

Nutrient loss in food is actually caused by heat and the amount of time you’re cooking the food. Microwaving uses less heat than conventional cooking methods and is often a lot quicker, so this method actually helps keep nutrient loss to a minimum.

You should drink eight glasses of water every day

This advice has been around for years, without any substance. However, it has been found that drinking eight glasses of water each day is not a medical recommendation, nor is there any scientific health benefits behind the advice. Simply be your own judge on your water intake.

A glass of wine every day is good for your health

Although wine – especially red wine – contains antioxidants that protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer, daily consumption of alcohol can damage the liver. For women, it increases the risk of breast cancer because alcohol disrupts the body’s ability to absorb folic acid, a B-vitamin with anti-cancer properties.

Eating calories at night cause weight gain

The time of day that you eat does not affect your body’s ability to digest foods. It’s not so much about when you eat but rather how much and what. Late night eating is commonly linked to stress. On top of that, eating high-calorie, high-fat snacks late at night makes it harder to sleep, and ultimately leads to overeating the next day.

Carbohydrates make you fat

You must have been told severally to avoid carbohydrates because they can make you add weight. Don’t’ fall for this. Carbohydrates are a really important part of a balanced diet. In fact, all fruits, vegetables, bread, grains, and sugars contain carbohydrates, and our bodies need them to function. Different carbohydrates have different nutritional values, and there are plenty of healthy options to choose to ensure you’re getting a range of other benefits.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/05/common-food-myths-really-not-true/

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:58pm On May 18, 2018
Just be careful in all you eat....
If you keep following articles like this, you will end up not eating ANYTHING again!!
Too much of everything is bad...

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by ColdSun: 2:35pm On May 18, 2018
The keto-zombies may not like the carb part

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by pxjosh(m): 10:54pm On May 24, 2018
post=67854444:
I dey expect spoil from this thread

**Modified**

Trully na spoil him write and this was moved to front page.. all of the points are invalid. As they are not myths.

Always read before you comment undecided
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by loadedvibes: 10:55pm On May 24, 2018
I dey expect spoil from this thread

**Modified**

Trully na spoil him write and this was moved to front page.. all of the points are invalid. As they are not myths.

And if this was sourced from vanguard I just feel pity for naija.. Dullard Every where just like their presido..

1 Like

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by BlackHatNaija: 10:55pm On May 24, 2018
The time of day that you eat does not affect your body’s ability to digest foods... that's debatable.

Eating late has never been helpful. BTW, how does it digest when you are about going to bed and would not be doing any form of work or exercise that could aid the digestion process.

15 Likes

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 24, 2018
shocked
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by fiercehillz(m): 10:55pm On May 24, 2018
Nice write up...but some of your points are not myths

1 Like

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Vicintonsh(m): 10:56pm On May 24, 2018
.some never even see the food chop

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by oshe11: 10:56pm On May 24, 2018
Go back to EBA and other traditional food that whites want you to leave so you can patronise their products........

No wonder men die young these days compared to our fore fathers

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by amakabel: 10:56pm On May 24, 2018
we don hear o
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by thinkdip(m): 10:56pm On May 24, 2018
grin

2 Likes

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Badboiz(m): 10:57pm On May 24, 2018
How about too much microwave kills nutrients and maybe causes cancer cos of the UV or something.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.medicaldaily.com/microwaves-are-bad-you-5-reasons-why-microwave-oven-cooking-harming-your-health-250145%3Famp%3D1

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by opsynea2j(m): 10:58pm On May 24, 2018
Eating mango and garri used to be very poisonous back then..

Why not now?

6 Likes

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Adasun(m): 10:58pm On May 24, 2018
Eating 2 much does not make u fat
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Yewandequeen(f): 11:00pm On May 24, 2018
grin grin grin
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Ojuororun(m): 11:00pm On May 24, 2018
Which type of wine o? 8 glasses of wine and 1 glass of water daily. abi?

1 Like

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by thinkdip(m): 11:00pm On May 24, 2018
Revolva:
You’ve no doubt heard many tales about food and nutrition: which foods to avoid and which to gorge on, which are carcinogenic and which cause acne. But not all should be taken at face value! i share some of the most common food myths,

Microwaving food kills nutrients

Nutrient loss in food is actually caused by heat and the amount of time you’re cooking the food. Microwaving uses less heat than conventional cooking methods and is often a lot quicker, so this method actually helps keep nutrient loss to a minimum.

You should drink eight glasses of water every day

This advice has been around for years, without any substance. However, it has been found that drinking eight glasses of water each day is not a medical recommendation, nor is there any scientific health benefits behind the advice. Simply be your own judge on your water intake.

A glass of wine every day is good for your health

Although wine – especially red wine – contains antioxidants that protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer, daily consumption of alcohol can damage the liver. For women, it increases the risk of breast cancer because alcohol disrupts the body’s ability to absorb folic acid, a B-vitamin with anti-cancer properties.

The time of day that you eat does not affect your body’s ability to digest foods. It’s not so much about when you eat but rather how much and what. Late night eating is commonly linked to stress. On top of that, eating high-calorie, high-fat snacks late at night makes it harder to sleep, and ultimately leads to overeating the next day.

Carbohydrates make you fat

You must have been told severally to avoid carbohydrates because they can make you add weight. Don’t’ fall for this. Carbohydrates are a really important part of a balanced diet. In fact, all fruits, vegetables, bread, grains, and sugars contain carbohydrates, and our bodies need them to function. Different carbohydrates have different nutritional values, and there are plenty of healthy options to choose to ensure you’re getting a range of other benefits.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/05/common-food-myths-really-not-true/
RABBISH

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by sunnyb5(m): 11:00pm On May 24, 2018
wota int8k z guud 4 d bodi, elps in dig3stn

1 Like

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by loadedvibes: 11:00pm On May 24, 2018
Lol.. Bros you dull sha wetin be Carbs and Carbohydrate?
thinkdip:
Bros where you hear say vegetables contains carbohydrates.
You are wrong sir, vegetables don't contain carbs.
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Gangster1ms: 11:01pm On May 24, 2018
Nice one Op. Tell them.
I aways knew those right from time. So many educated and uneducated olodo roaming around.

1 Like

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by pxjosh(m): 11:01pm On May 24, 2018
Badboiz:
How about too much microwave kills nutrients and maybe causes cancer cos of the UV or something.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.medicaldaily.com/microwaves-are-bad-you-5-reasons-why-microwave-oven-cooking-harming-your-health-250145%3Famp%3D1
I don't think microwaves use uv, but infared rays.
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by SoapQueen(f): 11:02pm On May 24, 2018
Eating fat to burn fat- Ketoacidosis.

Eating snail will make one slow.

Eating ewedu will make the cervix slippery
during labor.

Ingesting Cannabidiol oil will make you 'high '.

Watermelon is better for diabetics than pineapple, because it has less sugar. Lies.
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 24, 2018
Next time you want to transmit rubbish, tell us on what ground you're transmitting.

1 Like

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Badboiz(m): 11:03pm On May 24, 2018
pxjosh:
I don't think microwaves use uv, but infared rays.

I am really not sure though but the link I posted listed some of the dangers microwaves poses to health
Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Offpoint: 11:03pm On May 24, 2018
I eat anything, anytime and anywhere, wherever there's an availability of food... I eat with no hesitation. I don't give a rat azz about all the don't eat this and don't eat that crapz... I fit eat Fufu at 2am.

11 Likes

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 24, 2018
Bullshit.
Do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that, don't eat this, eat that.

All wouldn't stop u from meeting your creator at the hour.

Enjoy your life brothers n sisters... Don't let any man tell u what to do.
Do what ever makes u Hally until the hour comes.
Be more like Fela anikulapo kuti.

1 Like

Re: Common Food Myths That Are Really Not True by smartolala(m): 11:03pm On May 24, 2018
To be candid. .everything should not be taken in excess

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help Plz; What Is The Fruit "Dibino" In Hausa Called In English? / Blackberry Bread For Sale In Lagos (PHOTO) / Yay!!! I Made A Delicious Okazi Soup Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.