Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,888 members, 7,817,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Is Yabatech Now A University? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Yabatech Now A University? (28075 Views)

Mass Riot Going On In Yabatech Now. School Gates Shut! / Is Yabatech Now A Degree Awarding Institution? / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Yabatech Now A University? by trakos(m): 9:02pm On Feb 01, 2007
please,i will like to know what is going on about YABATECH case.is it now a university?if yes,i will like to know their mode of admission this year.is it going to be FORM or through poly jamb again.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by Memunah(f): 4:25pm On Feb 04, 2007
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by LanreDaMan(m): 5:08pm On Feb 04, 2007
I know a lot of my people in Yaba tech will crucify me for sayinng this but what the Hec

I think the F.g should concentrate more on developing the already existing university facilities rather than "UPGRADE" Polyechnics to universities.
Beleive me this is setting up a Precedence where all Polytechnics will clamour to be upgraded
The Solution is to harmonise all degrees so that HND will  not seen HND as lower when compared with  a Bachelors degree

And by the way what happens to past graduates do they still retain their HND or Get UPGRADED to a Bachelor status
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by Seun(m): 5:11pm On Feb 04, 2007
Beleive me this is setting up a Precedence where all Polytechnics will clamour to be upgraded
And what's wrong with that?

The Solution is to harmonise all degrees so that HND will not seen HND as lower when compared with a Bachelors degree
How do you "harmonize" them without giving them the same name?
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by uyobabe(f): 5:15pm On Feb 04, 2007
Yeah Yabayech in now a University because my brother goes there and he told me grin
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by Memunah(f): 5:15pm On Feb 04, 2007
You are right lanre but do u know its a good effort in upgrading the college to a Uni,but i would ve prefer the discrimination btw HND and BSC holders scrapped beta dat way

for the past graduates am not really sure of dat but it seems they will only be oppourtuned to go for deir masters directly instead of doing the Pgd stuff
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by ikaleguy(m): 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2007
YabaTech's upgrade to a university is long overdue,I was a student of the school and graduated in 2000 so it's a welcome development.to reflect this new status i think the school authority should do something about the space maybe they school relocate some departments to another area
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by fatliar(m): 2:02am On Feb 05, 2007
greatest yabite great we are d best
ya ko tee u r on your own oyo dats our slang
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by Naijabimbo(f): 5:12am On Feb 05, 2007
that's a retarded question, how can a polytechnic certificate be upgraded to a unversity degre just because the school's now upgraded to a university, where the hell is yabatech
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by ishmael(m): 8:02am On Feb 05, 2007
Yes, YabaTech and Kaduna Polytechnic have been converted to universities. At present they are still under NBTE which means they are still running their programs as polytechnics. I believe the university thing will take effect in 2007/2008 session.

The conversion is rubbish. Why won't FG empower polytechnics to run Bachelors and Master Degree programs rather than converting polytechnics to universities?? Even Ghana to has empowered their polytechnics to start running BTech degree programs just to remove the disparity between HND and Degree certificates. Colleges and universities in Uk and US run Diploma, Bachelor, Masters and PHd programs; why can't Nigeria do same rather than abolishing the polytechnic system which they claimed was set up to produce Technicians and Technologist for technological development. Must everybody go to a school called UNIVERSITY?? Why the emphasis on university and university certificate rather than skills and knowledge?? It's a bad development i must confess; and i can bet it with anybody that Nigerian government will regret this act of abolishing polytechnics in nigeria.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by trakos(m): 11:27am On Feb 06, 2007
it is a very good decision to convert polytechnics into universities.but my question has not been answered fully.yabatech is not in 2007/2008 jamb ume brochure except in education courses.for people who want to do engineering or other courses,are they going to sell FORMS?
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by ishmael(m): 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2007
A friend of mine got his BEng and MEng from Imperial College London before coming down to do his NYSC in Nigeria. Can't Nigerian Colleges of Technology and Polytechnics award Degrees like them there in the UK?? Can't YabaTech still remain a college of Technology and award BTech and MTech Degrees?? Can't our Institute of Management & Technology (IMT) Enugu be like the prestigious Massachusette Institute of Technology (MIT) in the United States where Bachelors, Masters and PhD Degrees are awarded??
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by tunmininu(f): 1:12pm On Feb 06, 2007
yes o,my school is now a university.this is a good development.At least,we would be treated like our other B.SC graduates.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by ayotunde: 4:10pm On Feb 07, 2007
There is no need to argue or debate on the conversion again.The schools worth the conversion considering their contributions and training in the society.
I am writing as one of the apostles that fought for this upgrade/conversion in 1993 in YABATECH,also as an HND and BSc holder.
Dear friends,let me put it to you that if Polytechnics are given the power to award degree,it will not solve any problem of discrimination becos if they present their degree alongside with a university degree holder,Trust Nigerians,discrimination will still set in.
To this end,i think there shouldnt be any hocus pocus abt the conversion.If possible lets scrap all polytechnics becos the purpose for which it was established has been forfeited,
Dont be surprised that not all poly graduates are dull and not all university graduates are brilliant.
Pls lets welcome the conversion idea becos we have to move ahead and avoid buring talents in the Polytechnic.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by ayotunde: 4:24pm On Feb 07, 2007
The old students certificate can not be upgraded becos it was issued in the capacity of a polytechnic.I think the interested old students will have to apply for a two years programme.Athough,preference may be given to their ex student.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by somebody(f): 9:25pm On Feb 13, 2007
ishmael:

A friend of mine got his BEng and MEng from Imperial College London before coming down to do his NYSC in Nigeria. Can't Nigerian Colleges of Technology and Polytechnics award Degrees like them there in the UK?? Can't YabaTech still remain a college of Technology and award BTech and MTech Degrees?? Can't our Institute of Management & Technology (IMT) Enugu be like the prestigious Massachusette Institute of Technology (MIT) in the United States where Bachelors, Masters and PhD Degrees are awarded??

Your friend got only an MEng from Imperial College, he did not get both.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by Blow(m): 11:45am On Feb 18, 2007
Yabatech been upgraded or converted (whatever u call it) to a University is a good development. It eliminates the discrimination or distinction problem.
And also creates more degree(Bachelors and Masters) awarding institution for the country.

We are following in the footsteps of countries like UK and US ( they dont have polytechnics).
All the polytechnics in UK became full fledged Universities awarding degress in 1992.
Some of the tertiary institutions are refferred to as Colleges or institutes of technology but they are still seen as Universities like the Imperial College, MIT.
"The UK government recognised that the difference between Polytechnics and universities had become irrelevant and confusing"
And the same situation is what we have in Nigeria now.
Though the polytechnic systems still work in some countries like France, Switzerland etc.

In addition to this conversion we need to improve the standards and facilities in the institutions (Yabatech is far better than most Universities in Nigeria anyway).
Check out for more info
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic#Institutes_of_technology_versus_polytechnics"
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by ishmael(m): 11:56am On Jun 19, 2008
YabaTech is still a college of Technology just like the polytechnics.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by Awelika: 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2009
when is yabatech's screening test comin out. and how do i apply
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by Memunah(f): 11:05am On Aug 22, 2009
The school is in its second semester,so adverts for post pce should be out,just try to visit the school once in a while for information
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by 8bit: 4:27pm On Jan 25, 2011
i will like to know if it is on the schools listed on the UTME website.
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by DrAbana(m): 4:44pm On Jan 25, 2011
All you need to do is to call me, i m a senior lecturer, i help students in admission, just call me now for admission help b4 its too late
Re: Is Yabatech Now A University? by boomer4lov(m): 6:15pm On Sep 09, 2011
Dr Abana how can i get your number? i really need to get admission into yabatech. You can reach m direct with mail boomer4love@yahoo.ca

(1) (Reply)

Proposed Maduka University Now 85% Completed (Pictures) / Shortage Of Dead Bodies Not Helping Anatomy Study In Nigeria – Prof. Ajao / Debate : Is Educating Female Child A Waste Of Resources?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.