Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Urgent: Need Help On Law As A Career - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Urgent: Need Help On Law As A Career (871 Views)

How Lucrative Is Pharmacy As A Career? / Why You Should Pick A Career And Study In Harvard University / Studying Law As A Second Degree. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Urgent: Need Help On Law As A Career by Cmeo(m): 2:11am On Jan 23, 2010
I am presently a student of HND 2 Business Admin about to graduate soon and also own a registered corporate business consultancy office (engaging in some services) but I have always develop an interest in studying and practising law and in making my office/business a conglomerate that offers multi-services legal services. To this effect, I am planning of writing the up coming UTME exam and go for law degree in the next admission (as I dont want to take direct entry and dont want to waste time) but I would like to be cleared on the questions below:

1. Are there any law or ethics that stops a practising lawyer from having a business consultancy office/ offices as part or aside of his/her chamber?
2. I dont have a good exact verbal and  written quotation skills (most especially off-hand) but I could explain a thing in my own understandable term.
    I  would like to know if studying and practising of law needs exact verbal and written quotation skills or would allow my own understandable term
3. I hope ethics of law doesnt stop a practising lawyer from holding an important executive or board post in a company

Thank you for your time. Serious contributions only please.
Re: Urgent: Need Help On Law As A Career by BIGLAW2(m): 4:42pm On Jan 25, 2010
I can give you some valuable tips about your questions A lawyer can have a bussiness or consultancy office if he's not involed in litigation practice. This explains why you see some lawyers who do not practice but have great bussiness concerns. Hence, don't be surprised to discover that some big enterpreneurs and celebrities are lawyers but not into practice.Tosin Martins[D musician]. RMD, Funke Akindele,Femi Adebayo are all lawyers with bussiness concerns. Another option will be to set up this bussiness to be managed by some one on your behalf while you retain controlling shares through the company name. This is what d likes of Wale Babalakin are doing. You can also practice law for a while before delving into bussiness or politics as is the example with the likes of Fashola, Udo Udoma,Ajumogobia and co. Note that the fact that you are a lawyer does not mean you must practice LAW. There are lawyers who have been working in the bank all their lives,some have been in corporate practice as company secretarye.t.c.It's all a matter of choice. Talking about verbal or written quotation,there are instances when you'll have to cite the law or quote the constitution verbatim{i mean word for word} but there are also instances when you are free to say things in your own way although it must be in simple correct english. I do hope sincerely that you'll find all these helpful, however if you still need further clarification,send me a mail-harbayourmi@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Is Recruiting: I Can Help You. / Electrical Wiring Diagram Interpretation / Need For A Mechanical Engineer In Port-harcourt To Partner With.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.