Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,350 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. (13099 Views)

Hannah Reuben Wins Silver Medal At The 2019 African Wrestling / Nigeria U-15 Wins Silver At African Youth Games, Loses 3-1 To Morocco In Final / Wrestling: Nigeria’s Adekuoroye Wins Silver At World Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by madjune(m): 12:46pm On Jun 15, 2017
Days of dancing boxing.

I remember watching this fight too with my older siblings.
We all felt Peter was robbed but now I know better.
He missed lots of punching shots to that guys head cos he was dancing around and swinging his hands.

This style changed when Tyson came on board.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Ishilove: 2:05pm On Jun 15, 2017
Adamsdelrio:
1984? And the OP watched it live with his father? The OP is not our mate at all. Good morning sir, Mr Naptu2.... cheesy
As in ehn cheesy
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by chngebeginwthme: 2:41pm On Jun 15, 2017
decatalyst:

You are to call op "UNCLE" and seek his advise on politics and every bit of the economy.

We can deductively say that Op is one of the reasons this country dey as e be grin

Wow not fortunate to have seen the fight then but atleast i know my right hand from my left in 1984.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by enomakos(m): 5:33pm On Jun 15, 2017
johnie:

Thanks for the mention.

Joe Lasisi still insists that his loss to Virgil Hill in their world title clash is the US was because the fight was staged in there and he received no support from the Nigerian government.

According to him, the only other Nigerian apart from his training crew at the fight was a journalist.

As a matter of fact, one interesting thing he said in an interview years later is that he was offered American citizenship just before the fight.

According to him, if he had taken up the offer he would have won the bout.

He turned down the offer according to him, because he would have seemed ungrateful to Nigeria.

Isn't it interesting that just a few years later, our athletes began switching nationality without batting eyelids.

Francis Obikwelu and Glory Anozie readily come to mind.
to be frank if I was Joe I will have grab that citizenship opportunity and fight in America colour
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by enomakos(m): 5:41pm On Jun 15, 2017
ShySteady:
And his younger brother has been in Jos, Plateau State swallowing the family glory and raising shoulders.

At every opportunity to open his mouth, what you hear irritatingly is "don't you know my brother?"

#smh
which of his brother? tony?

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by AlphaTaikun: 9:46pm On Aug 28, 2022
naptu2:
Los Angeles 1984 Olympics

What a throwback! I watched this fight live with my dad in 1984 and we felt that Konyegwachi should have won. It was very close, but I felt that Taylor won the first round, while Konyegwachi won the second and third rounds. This should have been Nigeria's first Olympic gold medal. (I thought that Taylor won because he had the home advantage).

In my opinion, Konyegwachie was more mobile and landed more punches (he injured Taylor above the eye), while Taylor landed the heavier punches (I believe that he was looking for a knockout) and was too static.

I've been searching for this clip for a long time because I wanted to confirm that I was right in 1984. I still think that Konyegwachi should have won, but it now appears closer than I thought it was in the heat of the moment in 1984. What do you think?

Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games Boxing 57kg Final
Meldrick Taylor (USA) v Peter Konyegwachie (NGR)
This is so surreal. 38 years gone by since we first saw this boxing match live from Los Angeles. We were all rooting for Peter Konyegwachi then... He fought bravely and got that olympic silver medal. Just like yesterday.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Atletico Madrid Bigger Threat Than Real Madrid" - Barca Coach Ernesto Valverde / Danny Drinkwater Receives 20-Month Driving Ban For Drink-driving / Arsenal Thrashed Chelsea 5-0 To Top Premiership League Table

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.