Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League (6250 Views)

Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 / The End Of Hitv - Multichoice/dstv Wins Back Epl Coverage Rights In Nigeria / Hitv Bans Unauthorized Public Viewing Of Premier League & Other Matches. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by 9ja4eva: 8:40am On Mar 17, 2007
Serves him right.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by inoo(m): 11:09am On Mar 17, 2007
Seun:

DSTV Boss Arrested For UEFA Broadcast!.

I hv been vindicated by dis development that dis S/Africans will stop at nothin to kill and scuttle our dreams to be as great

nd 2 thk dey can do what cannot be conceived in south africa here is appauling
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by 9ja4eva: 5:17am On Mar 18, 2007
Abi oh.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by 4Play(m): 9:55am On Mar 20, 2007
Is HITV broadcasting beyond Lagos?

I suppose those living in other parts of Nigeria will have to wait for some years to start watching Premiership football again
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by 9ja4eva: 4:57am On Mar 21, 2007
They should have plans for that already.I was told they will also broadcast our league live for dose in Europe to c too so dey shld have coverage den.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by LoverBwoy(m): 11:20pm On Mar 21, 2007
Who owns HIV anyway? probably Frank self-servicer jnr and some other big shot in govt

Are they waiting for the new football season to start broadcasting?

Are you even sure if 3000 is all you need for their service you guys better read the small prints

remember Sky is free and subscriptions starts from £7.50

I hv been vindicated by this development that this S/Africans will stop at nothin to kill and scuttle our dreams to be as great

oh pls, most nigerian companies cant operate without govt help-most of them are owned by officials anyways that why they never venture beyond nigeria!
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by 9ja4eva: 7:35am On Mar 22, 2007
it should be next season i think.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by 9ja4eva: 3:19am On Apr 01, 2007
HITV make ur doubters proud.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 06, 2007
guys,hitv are doing a great job,they are barely one month old,that u guys seem to forget,when dstv was this young it was crap.now they have fine tuned their channels and its always crystal clear.and new stations are added almost weekly.its fun to watching all my matches,la liga,premiership,serie a,what else can u ask for.whats the use of a satellite tv without soccer?to get yours in abuja and environ call or text 08056419503/08067712810.
HITV-CORRECT TV
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by ayusman16(m): 10:40pm On Sep 06, 2007
ctrume:

guys,hitv are doing a great job,they are barely one month old,that u guys seem to forget,when dstv was this young it was crap.now they have fine tuned their channels and its always crystal clear.and new stations are added almost weekly.its fun to watching all my matches,la liga,premiership,serie a,what else can u ask for.whats the use of a satellite tv without soccer?to get yours in abuja and environ call or text 08056419503/08067712810.
HITV-CORRECT TV

Bros make u no deceive pple here oo.which broadcast dey crystal clear? which channels dem dey add everyday? E! don disappear for over 2wks now, mtv base don also disappear for about 4days now for the terrestial cable option, so if u be insider, tell dem dey need to try harder
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by ayusman16(m): 9:54pm On Sep 07, 2007
my channels have been showin 'no access' since morning, is anybody experiencin same Can access their customer care
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by fox2beerr: 12:32am On Sep 19, 2007
will hitv be showing EUFA Champions league?
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by babaGodson: 9:06am On Aug 22, 2008
congrats, our communication is here to stay but please this 2008/2009 season is yet to televise any chelsea matches. infact most of in abuja are disgusted by that.
pls improve starting this weekend
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by isob: 11:29am On Oct 30, 2008
HiTV: Cable TV Providers or Cable TV Fraudsters?
By Iso Bassey (Iso.Bassey@nigeria-friends.com)

I have been a DSTV subscriber for over 10 years and was dismayed when they lost the rights to show majority of English Premier League matches last year. It doesn’t take much to guess that I am a fan of the EPL. I am in fact an Arsenal fan. That’s by the way though.

Soon after DSTV lost the rights, I was made to understand that a little-known company called HiTV had acquired these rights. I also learnt that HiTV was allegedly bankrolled by a former President and his minister for Information. I had no idea their acquisition of these rights was a good or bad thing, but considering that I had to get my weekly football fix, I quickly came to terms with the fact that I would need to splash out on a new decoder and other hardware components. I considered it the least I could do to support my then misfiring Gunners.

I contacted a local agent in Port Harcourt where I am based and had a look at the channels on offer through HiTV. Besides the football, there was little else of interest. I had hoped that the channel offering would be such that I could discontinue my DSTV subscription and switch solely HiTV and in the process save cost on subscription fees. As a result of the poor choice of channels on HiTV I felt rather arm-twisted having to subscribe to their service while still retaining my DSTV. To cut a long story short, I signed up to HiTV simply to be able to watch EPL matches.

If I remember correctly the whole package cost me about N40,000. I hate to say that I felt a sense of disgust the very first time I watched an EPL match on HiTV. The best description I can offer is that it was like watching a YouTube video on a 56kbps Internet connection. I watched the match in frames delivered a few seconds at a time. These frames were often interlaced with displays of “Scrambling/Descrambling” This for me appeared to be the first sign of the HiTV con. I contacted my local agent who had done the installation and he offered a long explanation which I could hardly understand. It revolved around something to do with the decoder being either a HiTV decoder or a “Strong” decoder. I believe “Strong” refers to the manufacturer. Considering that I had just signed up for 3 months it quickly dawned on me that I might have been 419’d. For the next 3 months I could only support my Gunners one frame at a time as HiTV permitted. This was probably just as well considering that we ended the season with no silverware. I threw that in for a bit of humour. It is by the way.

After repeated complaints, towards the end of the 3 months subscription period, my local agent informed me that there was a software upgrade he could carry out on my HiTV decoder to help improve the viewing experience. I was mad at him for not coming to my rescue earlier. He then explained that this fix had only just been made available. We were both puzzled as to why HiTV could not automatically carry out software upgrades on decoders in a seamless manner like DSTV does. He then began to explain to me the challenges his company was facing dealing with HiTV. He complained that their customer service was appalling. At the time we spoke he said that his company had credited HiTV’s bank account with subscription fees of several customers and that HiTV had failed to activate these accounts. They were battling to resolve these issues and had become inundated with complaints by frustrated customers. He explained to me that although he would be losing a small commission if I failed to renew my subscription, it was in my best interest to hold on for a while until HiTV got their act together. I gratefully agreed with him.

A few months went by before I contacted my agent again. During this time a national daily (It might have been Guardian or ThisDay) featured a profile of the C.E.O. of HiTV Mr. Toyin Subair in which he was presented as the young dynamic entrepreneur who had defeated Multichoice, given CNN a bloodied nose and emerged the symbol of national pride. It was laughable. By the time I was talking to my agent again, my HiTV decoder had gathered quite a bit of dust and the EPL’s 2008/2009 season was about to get started again. He told me that things seemed to have improved on the HiTV front and that it would now be possible to renew my subscription without delay. He also told me that I could pay for my subscription directly through any branch of GTBank. That got me excited as GTBank happens to be my bank. Sometime in August I made my first direct payment to HiTV’s bank account using a cheque. Not up to 48 hours after my payment was made, my HiTV service was restored. I was impressed and I thought to myself that the company might have finally resolved its customer service problems. A month later when my August subscription had expired, on 26th September 2008 my secretary made a payment. Only this time we paid by cash rather than cheque. Sadly as I write this article on 29th October 2008, HiTV has still not restored my service. In other words although I paid for subscription until 26th October 2008, I have not been able to watch anything on HiTV since around 24th September 2008. I have e-mailed them repeatedly using the e-mail address on their website i.e. info@hientertainment.tv. I have even attached a copy of my deposit slip showing proof of payment. I have called their customer service number on several occasions and gotten through just once. When I did get through the lady was very quick to dismiss my call.

As a result of my experience with HiTV and the information I have gathered from my HiTV agent and other subscribers in Port Harcourt (where I am based) I have come to the following conclusion. It is either HiTV is a VERY inefficient company who went ahead of itself to take on a task it was incapable of handling or perhaps it is a company that was deliberately setup to con Nigerians by preying on our love for football. As I come to terms with the fact that I might have fallen victim to a HiTV scam, I can only conclude that the latter seems more likely to be the case. I am considering taking legal action against HiTV as a matter of principle.

I have one simple advice for football-loving Nigerians. If you are thinking of subscribing to HiTV, DON’T.
I have discovered that it is possible to watch EPL matches live on your computer free of charge if you have a fast Internet connection. Since the purpose of this article is not to advertise any service, I won’t be any more specific than to ask those interested to google ‘TVU Networks’. Good luck. I have resigned myself to watching matches on my laptop until such a time as a proper company win back the rights to EPL matches.

Iso Bassey is based in Port Harcourt and runs www.nigeria-friends.com and www.outletng.com
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by phizman(m): 10:10pm On Dec 01, 2008
isob,

Iso Bassey, I carefully read ur post and I'm a true lover of EPL (True Chelsea Fan) and I have subscribed to HiTV recently.
Behold, they have a VERY VERY clear picture with so much EPL live matches in about 3 diff stations, they are also good at showing Spanish league & Italian league among others.

I think it is bad 4 u to advise pple against it due to ur own personal experience. I am watching HiTV in Benin City (Edo State) and I will say I prefer them to CTL or even DSTV because they are giving me what I want (EPL) as I have dumped my CTL and my friend did same to his DSTV.

Probably ur side (state) is having some technical problems cos no one is complaining in Benin, atleast not to my notice or maybe u are just an agent to spoil HiTV. If not, why so much on d post

Phizman,
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by OYIBN: 2:35pm On Aug 17, 2010
HITV had a bad business strategy.
Re: HITV Gains Exclusive Rights To European Premier League by Dare14: 7:46pm On Aug 24, 2010
hitv phoned me that there price has been reduced to 3500

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chelsea And The Transfer Market / Chelsea FC Get New Manager: Porto's André Villas-Boas / Newcastle Vs Liverpool (1 - 0) On 1st November 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.