Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? (32748 Views)

Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by bbclue(f): 7:35am On Jun 16, 2017
Is very easy go for your nus and apply doing the service year then later alliance with your L.I he will go with you all your have to do is he will collect monthly due from you because he will cover u up....when the time for pop you might send your siblings to collect it on tour behave
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by missziony: 8:50am On Jun 16, 2017
applying to a school is not just the thing here its getting admission. alot of people apply and do get admission. even as your uncle has promised take your time research for schools that offer scholarship of half your fee where they pay it in cash than to the school direct. its not always how people see it. consider if your uncle will provide accommodation, food. and other things. everything over there its not so easy as people think here in Nigeria. But all the same it better you finish your Nysc . take your time to apply for a good school. dont rush things.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by wyzoe: 9:21am On Jun 16, 2017
Pidgin2:
Go for your NYSC, anyone telling you to abandon NYSC is an enemy of progress, does not understand the value of the programme, and is not someone you should be listening to.

Baby come lets talk. Seems you need a spanking. Can he not do the NYSC after the masters? He said hes just 24.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 16, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
i graduated from the University of Nigeria , Nsukka april this year.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

There are two option i'm thinking of:

1.I am thinking of Skiping NYsC but afraid i might need it in future.

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

We all know Nysc is getting smart everyday

Pls my fellow Nairalander , i need your advice on these ..

are u ok?u dey even think d mata
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by GreatEMC(m): 9:45am On Jun 16, 2017
Remember that age is on your side, go for your Second degree which saves more time overseas. Return and "obey the clarion call" if you so desire.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 16, 2017
Pidgin2:
Go for your NYSC, anyone telling you to abandon NYSC is an enemy of progress, does not understand the value of the programme, and is not someone you should be listening to.
pls wats d value? dat u cant do it later
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by mastar111: 9:58am On Jun 16, 2017
Pidgin2:
Wat are u talking? Is NYSC running? He may nt get DT opportunity of furthering his Education in canada again. He is 24. Enuf time still de for DT NYSC.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Adebayo4all: 10:08am On Jun 16, 2017
Pidgin2:
wat is d value of Nysc?
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Paxziano: 10:14am On Jun 16, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

I need your Career advice on something have been thinking and researching on for some weeks now.
When I told my uncle Who had promised to sponsor me abroad for my Master degree earlier this year.
He was very happy and said i should start the process for the admission in canada so that i can resume with them September 2018.
According to him he said i should process the admission and Visa apllication when partaking in the compulsory Nysc.

The main Issue bothering me now is , I will be Mobilised for Nysc Program by november this year which will be completed October Nextyear(2018)
Msc program in any institution in Canada starts September, that is a month before the completion of NYSC.
Meanwhile, Institutions in canada commence course and other registartion for masters degree in August (2018).

2.If i decide to put in for Nysc , There is a popular saying that "Opportunity knocks but once"..

Go for the Masters programme... And it's a good thing u said Canada. U have the opportunity to work and school. So at the end of ur masters, u may even be working and it wud b to hell with nysc and maybe Nigeria sef
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Claessique1(f): 10:53am On Jun 16, 2017
@segtak25, you can achieve both trust me.
A friend of mine had same issue, she went for service and when the time for her to travel for masters came she went for it, as long as you ve got someone to stand in for you in getting the certificate in absentia. ( Zonal Inspector or any top official) , they could help you out.
Since masters degree is for September 2018 and NySc is November 2017. It's possible.
Kill two birds with a stone wink
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by mzjokky16: 11:13am On Jun 16, 2017
Paxziano:

Go for the Masters programme... And it's a good thing u said Canada. U have the opportunity to work and school. So at the end of ur masters, u may even be working and it wud b to hell with nysc and maybe Nigeria sef

Pls, am a final year student of university of Ibadan and possibly I will be done by December this year, and may likely go for my service in June and I plan to be a ghost corper after the two weeks of camp.
My question is can I start the processing of my master program in Canada now even though am yet to finish cos i plan resuming in Canada by next year September for the fall admission.
I have my eye on memorial university and have mail the department coordinator my 300level transcript and he said my results certified the department requirement, am yet to get a supervisor because all the supervisor i mail are declining my offer to be their student with the claim that they have enough student already.
It is true that am not financially buoyant but some people said I can differ my admission when I get there and work for a year so as to pay for school, is this true?
Will all this plan just be a waste of time.
Is there any other schools that is as cheap as memorial university even outside Canada?
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by mzjokky16: 11:22am On Jun 16, 2017
Am sorry for editing and reposting, am a new member,thats why.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Babaelemu: 2:22pm On Jun 16, 2017
Where was your uncle when you started your degree program? If i was your uncle i would suggest you finish your nysc get your certificate and close that chapter! No need to rush if he wants to help you he would save the money for your masters sometimes early 2019. Sept 2018 and early 2019 just few months away.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 16, 2017
MrMcJay:

How many years after you clocked 30 did you serve?

I wasn't 30 yet at the time , the poster is also 24 so he can get his masters and come back for his NYSC
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by BlackBature(f): 5:06pm On Jun 16, 2017
segtak25:
Good Afternoon ,

Instead of staying home now till sept 2018,go for ur Nysc ,wen ur admission is out,u can write Nysc n dey will permit u to leave wen its time for ur Masters program,a friend of mine did the same.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Ayoola03(f): 5:48pm On Jun 16, 2017
And @bbclue, it is no more as easy as you people think o nysc runs was once easy bt nt anymore coz monthly clearance is now done tru biometrics (thumb printing) nd as you do so, it will automatically submit ur details in abuja. No one can do that on your bhave. The latest news now is that they want to introduce biometric for CDS attendance. Anyone who fail to participate in this is on his/her own

Claessique1:
@segtak25, you can achieve both trust me.
A friend of mine had same issue, she went for service and when the time for her to travel for masters came she went for it, as long as you ve got someone to stand in for you in getting the certificate in absentia. ( Zonal Inspector or any top official) , they could help you out.
Since masters degree is for September 2018 and NySc is November 2017. It's possible.
Kill two birds with a stone wink
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Ayoola03(f): 6:02pm On Jun 16, 2017
My dear nysc is nt as easy as you think o nysc runs was once easy bt nt anymore coz monthly clearance is now done tru biometrics (thumb printing) nd as you do so, it will automatically submit ur details in abuja.the idea of biometric just started this April. No one can do biometric on your bhave remember you did biometric during nysc registration so they av ur records. The latest news now is that they want to introduce biometric for CDS attendance too . Anyone who fail to participate in this is on his/her own
My advice is itz better u do one thing at a time service before masters or masters before service. It is very easy to make the choice on your own if and only if you will be sponsored for ur masters abroad. Your sponsor can still hold on till you finish service afterwards you can travel out atleast by then, ur mind will be at peace dat u have a certificate irrespective of ur choice of coming bck to nija

mzjokky16:

Pls, am a final year student of university of Ibadan and possibly I will be done by December this year, and may likely go for my service in June and I plan to be a ghost corper after the two weeks of camp.
My question is can I start the processing of my master program in Canada now even though am yet to finish cos i plan resuming in Canada by next year September for the fall admission.
Presently,Am on 2:1, my CGPA is 5.2 out of 7point that unibadan uses.
I have my eye on memorial university and have mail the department coordinator my 300level transcript and he said my results certified the department requirement, am yet to get a supervisor because all the supervisor i mail are declining my offer to be their student with the claim that they have enough student already.
It is true that am not financially buoyant but some people said I can differ my admission when I get there and work for a year so as to pay for school, is this true?
Will all this plan just be a waste of time.
Is there any other schools that is as cheap as memorial university even outside Canada?

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Espritferv: 8:35pm On Jun 16, 2017
Bro start the Nysc when is time to leave for your studies. Make arrangements with your Li show them your visa and other evidence with your money they will make it possible for you.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by dotun365: 8:44pm On Jun 16, 2017
segtak25:
Okay...
Pls more advise ..

I am 24years old now..
Go for your Msc. NYSC can always be sorted out at anytime in the future. who knows it could even be scrapped before you come back. MSc stays with you forever
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by mzjokky16: 12:19pm On Jun 17, 2017
Ayoola03:
My dear nysc is nt as easy as you think o nysc runs was once easy bt nt anymore coz monthly clearance is now done tru biometrics (thumb printing) nd as you do so, it will automatically submit ur details in abuja.the idea of biometric just started this April. No one can do biometric on your bhave remember you did biometric during nysc registration so they av ur records. The latest news now is that they want to introduce biometric for CDS attendance too . Anyone who fail to participate in this is on his/her own
My advice is itz better u do one thing at a time service before masters or masters before service. It is very easy to make the choice on your own if and only if you will be sponsored for ur masters abroad. Your sponsor can still hold on till you finish service afterwards you can travel out atleast by then, ur mind will be at peace dat u have a certificate irrespective of ur choice of coming bck to nija

@ayoola03, Thank u so much, am so grateful nd relieved. I wont rush it.
just that am now 24yrs old nd u know ladies now, getting married and all that, Dats why I want to do it as soon as I can.
by d time I will be mobilise for NYSC I will be 25yrs, I will be through with NYSC @26 plus 2yrs master program then I will be 28yrs.
OMG, dats scary...
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by veraiyke(m): 12:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
mzjokky16:

just that am now 24yrs old nd u know ladies now, getting married and all that, Dats why I want to do it as soon as I can.
by d time I will be mobilise for NYSC I will be 25yrs, I will be through with NYSC @26 plus 2yrs master program then I will be 28yrs.
OMG, dats scary...
my friend if your uncle is willing to sponsor you go do ya masters and when you're done come do service
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Ayoola03(f): 2:06pm On Jun 17, 2017
All I will advice you to do is if the sponsor can still hold on till the end of ur service I will advice u finish your service nd get ur certificate bfor u leave. People that are advising u to come bck nd serve they dnt know wht it entails because coming bck to serve can be a little bit difficult unless you are ready to forfeit the opportunities that will come your way after ur master program. If you r going for a 2yrs masters, after ur program, u will be givn 3yrs post graduate work permit (PGWP)and a yr program is equivalent to 1yr pgwp. And d opportunity to apply for pgwp only last for 3months after graduation of whc ur study permit and ur TRV will expire 90dayz after ur program whc is equivalent to 3months.now the question is whr is dat time to come bck to serve. Nd dos that r advising you to go nd forget nysc will neva come bck after finding a beautifully paid job in canada.whc company in canada will even allow u to go for a month nt to talk of a whole year all for the sake of nysc. Once u leave canada after ur studies and ur TRV expire while u are away, u will not be allow to enter canada again unless u renew bfor leaving or start all over again in nigeria by applyin for a new studypermit. Once u av ur certificate bfor leaving ur mind will be at peace even if need wont arise for it in d future, no one knows tomrw nt all our politicians tender their nysc certificate bfor they assume duty we neva can tell you can be assigned for any high political post whr nobody will even remembr to ask for ur nysc discharged certificate because dey all want u for the post and the post is meant for u. In summary my sis, if the sponsor can hold on till d end of ur service I recommend u finish ur service den leave, if itz 2yrz masters bliv me u r goin their to spend nothing less dan 5yrz......... my own advice tho' the choice is urs we cant dictate for u. itz a 2way thing if u dont wish to remain in canada after ur studies I.e ur aim is to go there, study and come bck u can go nd come bck for service bt if ur wish is to still remain in canada for greener pastures after ur studies, my sister itz a good thing u get ur certi b4 leaving. Cheers!

mzjokky16:

OMG, dats scary...

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by samtol4(m): 4:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
kratoss:
If you plan on coming back to nigeria to work just know that nysc cert is mre of a priority than your masters degree... So its a sure thing you wil cme back and do that service, ita all thesame wic ever way u decide to take it.. Except if the canada is a now or never offer,i will prefer to finish d service.. My opinion
" Sure you will come back and do service " This is not true opportunities abound i n Canada for employment and permanent residence after graduation . Why wll h e come for service after getting in job ? What he finishes the service and uncle not in position to help ? Canada is not Ghana Bros
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Nnekamma: 7:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
segtak25:
Okay...
Pls more advise ..

I am 24years old now..
it's simple dear,masters degree it's just about 2years or less and you are 2years old,you still have 6 years before you clock 30 which after then you can't go after the and just as you said,its once in a life time opportunity, my dear am serving now in abuja sef and it's still rubbish.add value to your life,when you are done you can as well come back and serve this great nation
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by abdullahi45: 2:52pm On Jun 18, 2017
Need your advice please;

I currently hold an offer to study at a university in Malaysia, with start date Sept 8. 2017 but am currently in my service (NYSC) year, which would end by October 24, 2017 as indicated on the call-up letter. What can I do, your advice is needed.

Also i applied to some Canadian universities and my application is under processing but the Malaysian university is asking me to apply for Visa because visa processing normally take 2-3 months, in your opinion what can I do? What if I get admission at the Canadian universities and my Malaysia visa has been granted? What will I do
Please do advise me sincerely. Thanks
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by vickertony(m): 6:00pm On Jun 18, 2017
Team16:
As a student presently in Canada, I'll advise you to start both process and run it concurrently. I am not wishing you bad or evil but it took me 2yrs to get an admission in Canada. Your case might be different because you have a sponsor and in that case you might pick any admission and come to Canada but I was applying for admission with Scholarship. However, Canadian admission is not automatic. Put in the period you have to wait for admission, receive your admission letter and apply for Visa. My own story, Admission took me 2yrs, Visa took 3 months. Then the window of denied visa or approved visa, whichever is your case. Like I said earlier, i am not wishing you bad but based on my experience I'll advise you while you apply for your admission, also enroll for your Nysc. Whichever comes first go for it. Never miss any opportunity in life.

So start applying for admissions immediately, get your admission, apply for your visa and get it. The worst case scenario you can differ your admission till next term. It is not an issue here. THE ISSUE HERE IS TO GET YOUR VISA. Every other thing is moi moi case.
Boss, Happy weekend.

I like to know more about the scholarship, you mentioned,i graduated with 2.2,cgpa is above 3.0,i like you to help me with information on all available scholarships to study in Canada for such grades,since you are experienced and already there presently,just any scholarship both full funding and half funding.

Thank you.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by abdullahi45: 5:46am On Jun 19, 2017
abdullahi45:
Need your advice please;

I currently hold an offer to study at a university in Malaysia, with start date Sept 8. 2017 but am currently in my service (NYSC) year, which would end by October 24, 2017 as indicated on the call-up letter. What can I do, your advice is needed.

Also i applied to some Canadian universities and my application is under processing but the Malaysian university is asking me to apply for Visa because visa processing normally take 2-3 months, in your opinion what can I do? What if I get admission at the Canadian universities and my Malaysia visa has been granted? What will I do
Please do advise me sincerely. Thanks

Gurus in the house please respond me please.

Thanks in anticipation
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by Team16(m): 9:07pm On Jun 19, 2017
vickertony:

Boss, Happy weekend.

I like to know more about the scholarship, you mentioned,i graduated with 2.2,cgpa is above 3.0,i like you to help me with information on all available scholarships to study in Canada for such grades,since you are experienced and already there presently,just any scholarship both full funding and half funding.

Thank you.

I don't know of any for your grade. However, go through the websites and speak with the admissions officers.
Re: Masters Degree In Canada Or NYSC Program? by vickertony(m): 9:10pm On Jun 19, 2017
Team16:

I don't know of any for your grade. However, go through the websites and speak with the admissions officers.
Alright, thanks Anyways.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Boat Carrying 20 Passengers Capsizes In Lagos, Three Persons Confirmed Dead / My Take From My 10 Days Norway Visit. / A Lady Came Out Alive From This Ghastly Accident While Traveling For Easter.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.