Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. (5311 Views)

Let Talk Words In Emotions / PLEASE DELETE POST @MODERATOR @seun / Girl Talk: Let's Talk Girl Power! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 12:46pm On Jun 20, 2017
rachealfst:
Congrats sir, more wisdom and strength to you. The issue I'd like you to address is plaglarism​.
I was opportuned to talk with some NL writers. The major reasons behind the unfinished stories is nothing but plagliarism.

Nairaland: literature section to be precised is now a platform where plaglarists stroll in and lift writer's work. Some plaglarist even changed the title of the story just as not to draw attention.
E.g my own story "Wrong Number" now has more than 10 authors. Infact they made it into ebook in their names.
There is no writer that will be happy to complete a story is such situations.

There was a time I reported to one of the mods that someone plagliarized my story right here, on this same nairaland (romance section) and he didn't do anything about it till date.

I don't know if there is any way that we can address the issue, maybe a law(lol) or something that protects NL stories.
I know anything we post here is at the Op's risk but I think if things continue like this, most of our great writers here may withdraw.

IMO
This is big. Nairaland seems better, what ever gets to the net is now being plagiarized.
I have some of my works on Naijastories. Some weeks ago, I decided to find their titles on google and I saw my stories on other sites. Even on silverbird television blog.
Seun Osewa has tried to curb plagiarism by making sure you can't copy with a laptop but till date the human brain will always find another way to get what it so desires.

That said and done. We'll keep digging out ways this can be done. But for now, let's make this place lively..
Bring in more sponsors and have no need to post full stories here. This place should be a haven for literature lovers, a training ground....A place we can all build a family of Nigeria top writers. The old men and women have tried but we should build the future.

They all tell us about their era, but who's going to tell us about this era too, and tell coming children if everyone stops writing.

Over time, though not all the time, many of those who stops writing online find it hard to continue writing offline.

1 Like

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by rachealfst(f): 3:12pm On Jun 20, 2017
Divepen1:

Alright sir, so help us God.
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by junnyjake(m): 3:42pm On Jun 20, 2017
congrats Man.
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Lleigh(f): 4:54pm On Jun 20, 2017
rachealfst:
Congrats sir, more wisdom and strength to you. The issue I'd like you to address is plaglarism​.
I was opportuned to talk with some NL writers. The major reasons behind the unfinished stories is nothing but plagliarism.

Nairaland: literature section to be precised is now a platform where plaglarists stroll in and lift writer's work. Some plaglarist even changed the title of the story just as not to draw attention.
E.g my own story "Wrong Number" now has more than 10 authors. Infact they made it into ebook in their names.
There is no writer that will be happy to complete a story is such situations.

There was a time I reported to one of the mods that someone plagliarized my story right here, on this same nairaland (romance section) and he didn't do anything about it till date.

I don't know if there is any way that we can address the issue, maybe a law(lol) or something that protects NL stories.
I know anything we post here is at the Op's risk but I think if things continue like this, most of our great writers here may withdraw.

IMO

this is the reason why a lot of people i.e. writers will stay away from NL.
There are a lot of writers on here that work hard to write only for someone to rip it off, not fair or even ethical.

1 Like

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 5:06pm On Jun 20, 2017
rachealfst:
Alright sir, so help us God.
amen

1 Like

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2017
junnyjake:
congrats Man.
Thanks Jake
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by rachealfst(f): 5:48pm On Jun 20, 2017
Lleigh:

There are a lot of writers on here that work hard to write only for someone to rip it off, not fair or even ethical.

It is well my sister.
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by swiz123(m): 6:58pm On Jun 20, 2017
Just call my idols rock5555 and flow1759 on phone and beg them to start writing again please,only then will I enjoy this section
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 7:22pm On Jun 20, 2017
swiz123:
Just call my idols rock5555 and flow1759 on phone and beg them to start writing again please,only then will I enjoy this section
will try my best
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Ishilove: 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2017
Lleigh:

You can imagine my shock when I saw my story on Facebook and the rotten thief was basking in the praises excited readers were showering on him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Lleigh(f): 8:14pm On Jun 20, 2017
Ishilove:

You can imagine my shock when I saw my story on Facebook and the rotten thief was basking in the praises excited readers were showering on him.

Oh my that is so unfair!! How can people be so deceitful.

How did you find out?
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by swiz123(m): 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2017
Divepen1:
will try my best
really?you are the bomb!

1 Like

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 8:22pm On Jun 20, 2017
swiz123:
really?you are the bomb!
Thank me when one of them shows up
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Ishilove: 8:46pm On Jun 20, 2017
Lleigh:

Oh my that is so unfair!! How can people be so deceitful.

How did you find out?
I sent in a part of the story for a writing competition but was rejected for 'copying'. I was like "what the frigging flying fvck??!" undecided

So I went online to google my story and got the shock of my life. It was ALL OVER the internet.
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:16pm On Jun 20, 2017
HumbledbYGrace:
Congrats Divepen.

Like I said try to bring life to the section without bias like some of us did. You don't want to be called hitler or Gadaffi and all those ugly names.

And to the op who has an issue with unfinished stories, tough luck. None of the writers begged anyone to read and they took thier time to actually come up with a good story.

Besides Seun allows anyone to post anything here so who gave anyone a right to delete peope's stuff? Do you know how long it takes to produce a good story? Maybe some of us should start writing.

None of the writers begged anyone to read?... Really? That's the route you're gonna take?. If you tell me it's about plagiarism, I will understand that. Some of us readers are ready to pay to read good stories. I can't count the number of books I have bought on Okadabooks. If you feel your work being plagiarized is the reason you dont want to continue a story or writing on NL, fine, no problem. But at least have the courtesy to show readers where to get the full story even if it means paying for it. A writer did that in sexuality section and everyone was happy. Don't gimme that line of "writers didn't beg anybody to read". After all it's the same writers that will complain if readers don't comment on their​ stories.

Personally, I feel all writers should use NL as a stepping stone. Gather your readership from here, then establish yourself by either self publishing or opening a monetized blog. Trust me, many of us readers are ready to pay for your books if you're good.

1 Like

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 9:51pm On Jun 20, 2017
simonhabby:

Congrats, the new sheriff.
Thanks...
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 10:04pm On Jun 20, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

None of the writers begged anyone to read?... Really? That's the route you're gonna take?. If you tell me it's about plagiarism, I will understand that. Some of us readers are ready to pay to read good stories. I can't count the number of books I have bought on Okadabooks. If you feel your work being plagiarized is the reason you dont want to continue a story or writing on NL, fine, no problem. But at least have the courtesy to show readers where to get the full story even if it means paying for it. A writer did that in sexuality section and everyone was happy. Don't gimme that line of "writers didn't beg anybody to read". After all it's the same writers that will complain if readers don't comment on their​ stories.

Personally, I feel all writers should use NL as a stepping stone. Gather your readership from here, then establish yourself by either self publishing or opening a monetized blog. Trust me, many of us readers are ready to pay for your books if you're good.
You've just said it.
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by princesa(f): 10:13pm On Jun 20, 2017
Congratulations divepen. I have always admired your passion for this section. It was long over due
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 10:18pm On Jun 20, 2017
princesa:
Congratulations divepen. I have always admired your passion for this section. It was long over due
Thanks a lot. It's really good to have you back.

1 Like

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Akposb(m): 10:27pm On Jun 20, 2017
Congrats Mr. Divepen, I hope you do great as a mod for this section. My suggestion is time to encourage writers here with good literary contests. As for the plagiarism aspect, I have seen my work lifted though my name is on it. I'd advise that writers should beware of the type of work to be posted here. Put serious works away.
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 10:37pm On Jun 20, 2017
Akposb:
Congrats Mr. Divepen, I hope you do great as a mod for this section. My suggestion is time to encourage writers here with good literary contests. As for the plagiarism aspect, I have seen my work lifted though my name is on it. I'd advise that writers should beware of the type of work to be posted here. Put serious works away.
Thanks. I'll consider your advice on the competition.

1 Like

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Nobody: 2:33am On Jun 21, 2017
Divepen1:
Thanks. I'll consider your advice on the competition.

HOW MUCH IS YOUR SALARY?
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by yewande1234(f): 3:25am On Jun 21, 2017
This plagiarism stuff is so much on dis forum,imagine a story like " ANIKE" by rachealfst which is not up to three month be posted by someone on whatsapp.they are many more stories like dat too.i can still remember a story titled "Memories of cupid" i came across on dis forum it also stop half way,wen i contacted the writer she complained of same thing which is plagiarism. Pls mods find a solution to dis problem b4 we lose all d best writers on NL

IMO
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 7:12am On Jun 21, 2017
Mylestone:

HOW MUCH IS YOUR SALARY?
Lol.. 50 million
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 7:16am On Jun 21, 2017
yewande1234:
This plagiarism stuff is so much on dis forum,imagine a story like " ANIKE" by rachealfst which is not up to three month be posted by someone on whatsapp.they are many more stories like dat too.i can still remember a story titled "Memories of cupid" i came across on dis forum it also stop half way,wen i contacted the writer she complained of same thing which is plagiarism. Pls mods find a solution to dis problem b4 we lose all d best writers on NL

IMO
We are all being affected by plagiarism and that's why my agenda is to help writers know how to sell.. I'll work with Ekatomail to have a discussion with Mr. Ofili of Okadabooks, they will create a sort of orientation for us.

At Okadabooks, your work can hardly be plagiarized.

So Nairaland won't be about the big novel, it will be a place for training.

2 Likes

Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by missuniverse(f): 7:19am On Jun 21, 2017
congrats Divey,
More Stories from you!
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by kingphilip(m): 7:22am On Jun 21, 2017
princesa:
you still de literature section??
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by kingphilip(m): 7:30am On Jun 21, 2017
Divepen1:
We are all being affected by plagiarism and that's why my agenda is to help writers know how to sell.. I'll work with Ekatomail to have a discussion with Mr. Ofili of Okadabooks, they will create a sort of orientation for us.

At Okadabooks, your work can hardly be plagiarized.

So Nairaland won't be about the big novel, it will be a place for training.
Gbam this is the best solution..

Aside selling the literary works on Okadabook where it's extremely difficult to plagiarize (even if the plagiarists want to they'll have to bear the brunt by typing afresh from beginning to end), I think that partnership will be very helpful and extremely important to curb this issue of plagiarism..

I'll also suggest for the main time if it's possible for a mod to lock out a post in which a writer makes that it can't be quoted I think that'll help too.. The present system MIGHT be it can't be copied directly but when quoted, there's every possibility of it being lifted and pasted on a fresh page.. If the quote button is locked up for each piece, I think twill go a long way in curbing the copying from quote too..
Re: A New Moderator Is In Town. Let's Talk. by Divepen1(m): 7:50am On Jun 21, 2017
kingphilip:
Gbam this is the best solution..

Aside selling the literary works on Okadabook where it's extremely difficult to plagiarize (even if the plagiarists want to they'll have to bear the brunt by typing afresh from beginning to end), I think that partnership will be very helpful and extremely important to curb this issue of plagiarism..

I'll also suggest for the main time if it's possible for a mod to lock out a post in which a writer makes that it can't be quoted I think that'll help too.. The present system MIGHT be it can't be copied directly but when quoted, there's every possibility of it being lifted and pasted on a fresh page.. If the quote button is locked up for each piece, I think twill go a long way in curbing the copying from quote too..
Hmmm.. This is a good idea. We'll improve it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Other Side Of Love / I Hate You Patrick / The Teenage Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.