Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,908 members, 7,828,187 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. (17895 Views)

Top 5 Reasons Why The Nigerian Senate Must Pass The Gender Equality Bill / "Women Want Equality Only When It Suits Them" - Man Says / MY MARRIAGE IS FINALLY OVER! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 7:38am On Jun 20, 2017
Simply put,gender equality is not about putting both sexes on the same level biologically or on the basis of physical strength or religion doctrines but it is achieved when women and men enjoy the same rights and opportunities across all sectors of life and needs of women and men are equally valued and favored.

The first bill on gender equality in Nigeria was thrown out by the Senate due to some clauses in the contents which they saw as too demanding.

But a new modified bill sponsored by Senator ‘Biodun Olujinmi (Ekiti South),has scaled through the second reading and according to section 4 of the new bill,it prohibits all forms of discrimination against any person on account of gender, age and disability through spoken words, acts, rules, customs and practices by any person or institution in Nigeria.

So in my opinion,judging from the real essence of gender equality and the section 4 of the modified bill,I'm persuaded that it will be a great victory not for just the Nigerian women but for all men in Nigeria if this bill is passed into law and i implore all Nigerian men to rally round this bill for the following reasons...

1.In the aspect of romance:

As a lady,how scintillating will it be if you no longer have to wish and hope that the cute guy you saw at the mall walks up to you when you can simply make the move without any psychological or cultural restraint.

Since the bill will automatically remove any cultural,traditional beliefs and customs segregating the sexes, this simply means Nigerian women can confidently and boldly walk up to a man and woo him decisively without shame or any form of stigmatization.Ladies can now go on their knees and propose marriage to guys and in fact pay the groom price and organize the wedding party with little or no contribution from the man and ofcourse polyandry will be official. Yes few ladies are already doing this in discreet but the bill will make it official hence remove any form of restraint.

2.In the area of finance:

I guess men will find great succor in this area as we can gladly switch places with the ladies without any shame.

Will it not be nice if we guys start using the same criteria ladies use to be with us? I can now openly say "I would like to be with a beautiful,God fearing, financially stable lady who can take care of me and ofcourse switching places mean the man will be ready to do all a woman does in the affair like washing of her cloths,that of the children,be a sit at home dad and practically does all the domestic stuffs while the woman is saddled with the responsibility of Children school fees,House rents,Electricity bills,Medical bills.Generator fuel & repairs,Car fuel and repairs
Feeding of family,Clothes for children,Xmas and New year bills,Furniture &House maintenance,In-laws wahala/demand,Her own aged parents,
Your siblings also,Your financial demands,Vigilante bills,Erecting Building,Religious demands,Family social bills,Electronics bills,Recharge cards
Extended family bills,Community demands and so on...

Let's face it,whatever a man can do i guess a lady can do better so there is no big deal here and not every man will have good money no matter how smart or hard working the man can be....the world is just unfair to some people so this will be a good one for such men.

3.In the Labour sector:

I think it is quite awkward to hear that some jobs are meant for guys or ladies...in recent times there have been a wide shift of male folks indulging in careers that are previously tagged "female career" and these guys doing these jobs still feel a form of emotional and psychological restraints but with gender equality in place,guys can now boldly and officially get involved in jobs that are believed to be feminine in nature hence create a better work force which will improve the GDP of the country.

4.In the area of child inheritance:

Do you know that in Nigeria today,we still have some tribes who do not consider the girl child as an heir apparent to any property owned by the father? worse still if a man dies and leaves a wife with only daughters,none of these people will have a good share if any at all of the diseased property. .how insane.

I'm sure no man would like this to happen to his family if he dies so I believe if Nigerian men encourage this bill,it will eliminate this cruel tradition from the affected tribes and will give the girl child ample right to inherit her father's life material achievements.

5.Better opportunity for the girl child:

Just take a stroll to most markets and ask the beautiful smart female drop outs why they are not in school and you are sure to hear funny responses like "my papa sey I be girl so e no go waste money send me go school sey nah inside my husband kitchen I go still end" how sad and grossly unfair....

Many brilliant young girls destiny have been distorted by uncaring parents who still believe that a woman's place is in the kitchen and the other room but if we men can support this bill,it will give that village girl the right to education and it will become a crime for any parent to prevent any girl child her right to her desired educational level.

6.Prevention of juvenile marriage and sexual abuse:

Do you know that some tribes in Nigeria marry off a girl as young as 10 to 13 years of age? crazy innit!

Unfortunately this happens on a regular basis and many young girls have died due to Vesicovaginal fistula, or VVF which is often caused by violent penetration of the female core or by childbirth in which case it is known as an obstetric fistula. This is prevalent among young girls who go through prolong labor and as a result of the underdeveloped pelvic region,a prolonged labor presses the unborn child tightly against the fragile pelvis which cuts off blood flow to the vesicovaginal wall and the affected tissue may necrotize (die), leaving a hole.This usually degenerates and lead to death of the innocent girl and this tribe usually tagged such death as an act of GOD....how myopic and gross!

As a man who will likely grow up to have a daughter,just close your eyes for few moments and imagine your daughter going through this..."did I hear you say GOD FORBID"?

The good news is that we can prevent this if we all join hands together to support this bill into law.

I hope these make sense.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by feelgoodInc: 7:42am On Jun 20, 2017
does it include a one year parternity leave for men? if not I'm not supporting it.

99 Likes 6 Shares

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by AlienRobot: 7:42am On Jun 20, 2017
Let's see what you've got in stock...

We wait....
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 20, 2017
because you support it doesn't mean that all of us must support it. As for me, I don't support gender equality, it's a hoax, it immaterial and inconsequential to the development of the country

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 20, 2017
lofty900:
because you support it doesn't mean that all of us must support it. As for me, I don't support gender equality, it's a hoax, it immaterial and inconsequential to the development of the country
Why don't you go read some more on the subject 'Gender Equality' than dwelling on what you've assumed it to represent. Just imagine a situation where some organisations don't employ married women 'cause they came to a conclusion that they'd priotize family over their job. Isn't that unfair?.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by BiafraBushBoy(m): 8:01am On Jun 20, 2017
Does it include women paying my groom price?
If not, I no support!!

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by BARRIKADE: 8:02am On Jun 20, 2017
A gender equality bill has passed it's first reading....

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by samyfreshsmooth(m): 8:04am On Jun 20, 2017

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 20, 2017
Benita27:
Why don't you go read some more on the subject 'Gender Equality' than dwelling on what you've assumed it to represent. Just imagine a situation where some organisations don't employ married women 'cause they came to a conclusion that they'd priotize family over their job. Isn't that unfair?.
and you think the gender equality bill will change that? There are some bills that doesn't make any difference whether it is passed or not. An employer still have the right to employ who he wants to employ. Violence against women should be the priority

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 8:10am On Jun 20, 2017
lofty900:
and you think the gender equality bill will change that? There are some bills that doesn't make any difference whether it is passed or not. An employer still have the right to employ who he wants to employ. Violence against women should be the priority

This will make a huge difference dude...just wait until you see the contents.

Have a great day.

1 Like

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 8:12am On Jun 20, 2017
lofty900:
Then you must be from the stone age.

4 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 8:14am On Jun 20, 2017
BARRIKADE:
A gender equality bill has passed it's first reading....

Sorry,second reading and I need Nigerian men to let it slide through.
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 20, 2017
Toks2008:

This will make a huge difference dude...just wait until you see the contents.

Have a great day.
OK Toks2008 I'm waiting grin
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Homeboiy: 8:22am On Jun 20, 2017
Nonsense

I will not support it

Iam in my toilet ,come and drag me out

4 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Victornezzar: 8:28am On Jun 20, 2017
Please don't make it so all dis kids won't come 2 dis thread nd start fighting like dey did last nyt
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 8:28am On Jun 20, 2017
lofty900:
When a bill is passed it becomes a law right? And when laws are broken, offenders are punished. The gender equality bill isn't to drag roles with men, this is what most people think it's about. Women have been marginalized in the society based on some customs and traditions which should be modified 'cause the world is evolving.

4 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 8:50am On Jun 20, 2017
Benita27:
When a bill is passed it becomes a law right? And when laws are broken, offenders are punished. The gender equality bill isn't to drag roles with men, this is what most people think it's about. Women have been marginalized in the society based on some customs and traditions which should be modified 'cause the world is evolving.
I agree with you to some extent. However, most women will not see it the way you do, they'll use it as a weapon to rub shoulders with their male counterparts and the natural ego of the men will be bruised thereby creating more chaos in the society.

3 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by NairalandCS(m): 8:51am On Jun 20, 2017
Lmao. Lemme just sit here.
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by NairalandCS(m): 8:51am On Jun 20, 2017
feelgoodInc:
does it include a one year parternity leave for men? if not I'm not supporting it.

You!!!!!

12 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 8:55am On Jun 20, 2017
When companies start saying women won't get 90days maternity leave with free pay since men don't enjoy the same.....this shout go reduce small.....(that's me joking though)

I just feel nature has made us differently, some situation and circumstances favour men than women and vice versa...all this shout for equality should be personal...any woman that wants to break into the world of exploits and dominate is welcomed....

over the years, women are the ones that have limited themselves causing men to take over...

Enter any masters degree or PhD class..u will see more men than women..was there a policy limiting applications from women?

It's the few ones strong enough not to let family or society pressures drag dem down eventually stand out...

we have seen enough women doing ground break exploits better than men...even in politics..we shaa have female presidents abroad....but no law will come and say,"okay oooo because of gender equality every other electoral season...only female contestant must be allowed to give room for female leaders.....

Let women begin to take the bull by the horn, slay in academics, slay all round and not only dressing half naked, pouting, sticking tongues out like puppies on social media and not expect derogatory and pulling down comments from their male rivals....

My opinion though...I might be wrong...

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Mentions: 8:59am On Jun 20, 2017
If we should really table gender issues and fight on the grounds on equality women will lose, most systems were designed to favour them.

2 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 9:08am On Jun 20, 2017
1StopRudeness:
When companies start saying women won't get 90days maternity leave with free pay since men don't enjoy the same.....this shout go reduce small.....(that's me joking though)
Let women begin to take the bull by the horn, slay in academics, slay all round and not only dressing half naked, pouting, sticking tongues out like puppies on social media and not expect derogatory and pulling down comments from their male rivals....

You are hilariously mean...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by NairalandCS(m): 9:22am On Jun 20, 2017
1StopRudeness:

I just feel nature has made us differently, some situation and circumstances favour men than women and vice versa...all this shout for equality should be personal...any woman that wants to break into the world of exploits and dominate is welcomed....

over the years, women are the ones that have limited themselves causing men to take over...

Enter any masters degree or PhD class..u will see more men than women..was there a policy limiting applications from women?

It's the few ones strong enough not to let family or society pressures drag dem down eventually stand out...

we have seen enough women doing ground break exploits better than men...even in politics..we shaa have female presidents abroad....but no law will come and say,"okay oooo because of gender equality every other electoral season...only female contestant must be allowed to give room for female leaders.....

Apt!
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by AmoryBlacq: 9:40am On Jun 20, 2017
grin grin

1 Like

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 9:26pm On Jun 20, 2017
BiafraBushBoy:
Does it include women paying my groom price?

If not, I no support!!

Before nko?
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by tosyne2much(m): 9:28pm On Jun 20, 2017
All these ladies that advocate Nigerian version of feminism are nothing but clowns and the bitter truth is that when a woman does not have a man in her life, she automatically becomes a feminist and try to deceive other foolish girls to believe that men are dispensable

Let them have a man that will take them serious and watch them shove their feminism into their asses cheesy

8 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 9:42pm On Jun 20, 2017
Lalasticlala I believe this makes a whole lot of sense.
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 9:53pm On Jun 20, 2017
tosyne2much:
All these ladies that advocate Nigerian version of feminism are nothing but clowns and the bitter truth is that when a woman does not have a man in her life, she automatically becomes a feminist and try to deceive other foolish girls to believe that men are dispensable

Let them have a man that will take them serious and watch them shove their feminism into their asses cheesy

I can't wait for this bill to scale through...the pressure on the male folks is just too much.
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 10:44pm On Jun 20, 2017
Mentions:
If we should really table gender issues and fight on the grounds on equality women will lose, most systems were designed to favour them.

It's going to be a win win situation.
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 20, 2017
Toks2008:

You are hilariously mean...

I'm not mean oooo..It's just the truth...we keep saying it as if there are existing policies that put women on the disadvantage lane....whereas, they are the ones watching things happen...

There are so many men in the world with education, got their father's inheritance and so many advantages and still end up not being better than the average woman out there..

even the men that seems to be the boss out there had to take the bull by the horn....how many female passionate enough about their dreams dropped out of college and pursue it like mark, jobs and gates

The truth is no one has an edge in the world of exploits, every body is welcomed to try...the world is a tough place, nothing is fair, its cut-throat on all playing grounds for both sexes...women shouldn't come and make it look like they are at a disadvantage...

Passing a bill to make conditions fit for them to compete in, I say it makes them look a lot weaker than they use to look. At the end of the day both sexes aren't equal if rules have to be "created" just to level the playing ground

I'm waiting to see what the bill will contain seff.....

Cos no bill can force our brothers from the east to will properties for any child he doesn't want to..

Government should go and implement free education policy like developed countries...then we can now say every child weda male or female must be allowed access to education....

9 Likes

Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 11:18pm On Jun 20, 2017
1StopRudeness:

I'm not mean oooo..It's just the truth...we keep saying it as if there are existing policies that put women on the disadvantage lane....whereas, they are the ones watching things happen...

There are so many men in the world with education, got their father's inheritance and so many advantages and still end up not being better than the average woman out there..

even the men that seems to be the boss out there had to take the bull by the horn....how many female passionate enough about their dreams dropped out of college and pursue it like mark, jobs and gates

The truth is no one has an edge in the world of exploits, every body is welcomed to try...the world is a tough place, nothing is fair, its cut-throat on all playing grounds for both sexes...women shouldn't come and make it look like they are at a disadvantage...

Passing a bill to make conditions fit for them to compete in, I say it makes them look a lot weaker than they use to look. At the end of the day both sexes aren't equal if rules have to "created" just to level the playing ground

I'm waiting to see what the bill will contain seff.....

Cos no bill can force our brothers from the east to will properties for any child he doesn't want to..

Government should go and implement free education policy like developed countries...then we can now say every child weda male or female must be allowed access to education....

Insightful I must say.
Re: When the Nigeria Gender Equality Bill is finally passed into law. by Toks2008(m): 8:40pm On Jun 22, 2017
ty900:
female what? God forbid

lol!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 10 Lies Men Tell Women / The Name You Used To Store Your Mother's Phone Number? / The Society And The Male Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.