Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

8 Health Facts Explained - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 8 Health Facts Explained (14177 Views)

Top 8 Health Benefits Of Orange Seeds / Shocking But Interesting Health Facts About Your Eyes / 9 Health Facts About Newborn Babies...... No 5 Will SHOCK You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Health Facts Explained by michaelo2(m): 12:19pm On Jun 20, 2017
Intrestingly there are facts about our body which we do know does occur, but we dont know is the how and the why; here we have eight of them explained.

What Is Brain Freeze?
It’s a pain in your head that happens when the nerves in the roof of your mouth are hyperstimulated by cold foods, like ice cream and frozen drinks. Though the nerves are in your mouth, but the nerve center is in your brain, so that’s where you feel the pain.

Why Do You Have Earwax?
To keep out foreign matter from invading ear canals. Earwax, or cerumen, is produced by glands in the outer ear to protect the inner ear from infection. The sticky substance prevents dust, dirt, and bugs from getting in. Just leave it alone, ears are self-cleaning: The wax slowly moves up and out of the ears on its own, dries up, and drop off or washes away when you shampoo your hair. If you’re a the always clean my ear type, clean just the outside of your ears. Ear canals are like dead-end streets, ear cleaners just push the wax further in. You could also accidentally scratch your ear canal or even puncture the eardrum.

Are Carrots Really Good For the Eyes?
Yes, they are, along with all other foods rich in vitamin A. The body uses vitamin A to support nerve cells in the retinas that help maintain normal vision. People who are deficient in vitamin A are susceptible to a host of vision problems, such as night blindness. Many red, yellow, orange, and leafy green vegetables―including sweet potatoes, mangoes, and papayas ( paw paw)―contain vitamin A, as do eggs and liver.

Why Do You Get Goose Bumps?
Because you’re cold or frightened. When you feel chilled, the muscles around your hair follicles contract, causing the hairs to stand up to create a layer of insulation, anthropologists explains that all mammals share this hair-raising trait. But humans don’t have enough body hair for the response to make a difference; it’s a vestigial reflex left over from when we had furry coats, The goose bumps people get when they’re scared may be another vestigial reflex. Anthropologists theorize that aeons ago, when the plentiful hair on our ancestors’ bodies stood on end, they appeared more menacing, and predators would move on to look for less imposing prey.

Why Do Lips Thin as You Age?
The older you get, the less collagen you produce. And collagen, a protein that supports the body’s soft tissue, is what gives lips their pleasing plumpness. The sun’s ultraviolet rays can also cause collagen to break down and lips to thin. One way to help preserve the fullness of your lips, is to protect them from the sun by wearing a lipstick or lip balm with sunscreen.

What Causes Hiccups?
Excessive eating, alcohol, excitement, or stress can overstimulate the phrenic nerves, which control the diaphragm. The diaphragm then contracts involuntarily. At the same time, the glottis, the part of the larynx where the vocal cords are located, closes up, The result is the spasms and the odd hic sound that repeat every few seconds. A typical case of the hiccups lasts only a few minutes, but some can last much longer. While there’s no proven cure, holding your breath , breathing into a paper bag, drinking water does the trick sometimes.

Why Is Yawning Contagious?
No one knows for sure, but a study published in a recent issue of the journal Cognitive Brain Research theorizes that yawning in response to someone else’s yawn may be an empathetic response, similar to laughter. “A yawn can be triggered not only by seeing a person yawn but also by hearing, reading about, or even just thinking about yawns,” says Steven Platek, Ph.D., a professor of psychology at Drexel University, in Philadelphia, who directed the research. Platek and his colleagues believe that contagious yawning may be a primitive way of modeling our feelings after other people’s.

Why Do Joints Crack?
When you stretch a joint by, say, pressing down on your knuckles or twisting your spine, you cause small air bubbles that form between the sacs in the joints to pop. These sacs, called bursas, help cushion the spaces between the bones and keep them lubricated. As creepy as the sound can be, cracking is usually harmless and has no effect on the bursas. “Despite what you might have been told, cracking your knuckles or ankles or knees or any other joint doesn’t cause arthritis, but it doesn’t do your joints any good, either.

http://www.healththismoment.com/2017/06/11-health-facts-explained.html

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Harbay0101(m): 12:38pm On Jun 20, 2017
enlightening

Wow finally after how many years
I dedicate this FTC to my Father, my mother and everybody that gave birth to me

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by docky22: 1:33pm On Jun 20, 2017
Good
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by brunofarad(m): 1:34pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nice one Op

1 Share

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Davdonjoe(m): 1:34pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nice One
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Abujaexpress: 1:35pm On Jun 20, 2017
Why do i get frequent and unexpected erections?

3 Likes

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by TANKDESTROYER(m): 1:35pm On Jun 20, 2017
Cool
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:36pm On Jun 20, 2017
Insightful and Very helpful article...

Eating a good healthy Barbecue a week, keeps the Doctor away!!
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Theyveedo(m): 1:36pm On Jun 20, 2017
grin
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Sirpaul(m): 1:36pm On Jun 20, 2017
good

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by VickyRotex(f): 1:37pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nice one Op! cool cool

I yawned while reading this!

3 Likes

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by dessz(m): 1:37pm On Jun 20, 2017
do u know when u sneeze all ur body functions stop for a split second........including ur heart

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by CheezyCharles(m): 1:39pm On Jun 20, 2017
does it means that Buhari's ear doesn't produce Ear wax?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Loba19: 1:40pm On Jun 20, 2017
Boring facts
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by noblealuu: 1:43pm On Jun 20, 2017
interestingly, I yawned when I got to the part "Why is Yawning Contagious". cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jun 20, 2017
Davdonjoe:
Nice One
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by MrDandy(m): 1:45pm On Jun 20, 2017
Abujaexpress:
Why do i get frequent and unexpected erections?
You too dey jerk off, that's why

1 Like

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by successnwa(f): 1:46pm On Jun 20, 2017
I actually yawn while reading this article

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Nickymezor(f): 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nice!. # Yawning# smiley
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Elle277(f): 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nice info
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Olobitat: 1:51pm On Jun 20, 2017
*yawns*
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Godful: 2:00pm On Jun 20, 2017
Though it is not totally true, you are on point OP
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by prof800(m): 2:12pm On Jun 20, 2017
That yawning own ehn... he get as he be.
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by jericco1(m): 2:15pm On Jun 20, 2017
Lovely
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by blaquebelle: 2:16pm On Jun 20, 2017
But, I didn't yawn when I read that yawning part oo tongue
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by clems93(m): 2:19pm On Jun 20, 2017
Nice one. I did yawn when reading the fact about yawning. lipsrsealed
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by harley88(m): 2:42pm On Jun 20, 2017
Y do I get like minute electric shocks in my palm occasionally without touching electricity
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by jay2pee(m): 2:51pm On Jun 20, 2017
This is so eduxatinh
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by brandydaniells(m): 3:12pm On Jun 20, 2017
grin grin grin grin roger that op
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by LoveJesus87(m): 3:12pm On Jun 20, 2017
H
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by churchkilo(m): 3:12pm On Jun 20, 2017
good one here, and he yawns
Re: 8 Health Facts Explained by Abujaexpress: 3:38pm On Jun 20, 2017
MrDandy:

You too dey jerk off, that's why
Don''t catch this

(1) (2) (Reply)

HELP!! My Girlfriend Has An Unwanted Pregnancy / Foundation Takes Succour To Senior Citizens In Cyprus, To Offer Free Health Care / Nigeria May Import Doctors To Address Shortage — Medical Guild

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.