Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,815 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. (1165 Views)

50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. / For Cartoon Lovers: What Are Your Favorite Cartoons?? / 10 Times The Simpsons Predicted The Future, No.1 Is So True! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 21, 2017
TV is a great source of entertainment. Nothing
feels better than laying on the couch, doing nothing, and watching re-runs of Friends on a Sunday afternoon.

But things get a bit weird when your favourite TV show becomes a bit more than just mindless entertainment. Some shows can become so eerie that they literally predict the future. It's rare, but it can happen! It certainly happened on these ten occasions we described below.

(1) Family Guy and Robin Williams' suicide

One of the Family Guy episodes from season 10 shows a failed suicide attempt by the actor and comedian Robin Williams. The episode, originally aired in May 2012, coincidentally appeared on BBC Three just minutes before the news about the actor's real suicide broke on 14 August, 2014.

(2) The Lone Gunmen predicted 9/11

The Lone Gunmen was a 2001 spinoff of the hugely successful X-Files series. Although the series was short lived and lasted only half a season, it made a memorable prediction that people talk about to this day. Airing six months before the actual terrorist attack, the pilot episode centres around the American government's plans to remotely fly a commercial airliner into the World Trade Centre in order to raise the defence budget.

(3) The Jetsons and modern technology

The 1980s Hanna-Barbera cartoon featured a lot of visionary gadgets including flatscreen TVs, cleaning robots, video-conferencing, moving walkways, and tanning beds. Now used pretty much daily, these technologies were unheard of at the time of creation of the show.

(4) Spooks and LondonUnderground bombing

The BBC MI-5 drama Spooks is well-known for its complicated plot, often based on real-life stories from the past. On one occasion however, the show managed to foresee the future rather than just copy it. Months before the 2005 London Underground bombings, the opening episode of season 4 dealt with an almost identical story.

(5) Second Chance and Gadhafi's death Second

Chance was a very short-lived comedy show from the '80s that's mostly known for featuring pre- Friends Matthew Perry. It is also remembered for its eerie prediction of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's death.
The pilot episode shows the main character at the pearly gates, waiting in line to get into Heaven. One of his waiting companions is... yes, you guessed it - Muammar Gaddafi. The
Second Chance Colonel mentions he died in July 2011. The real-life Gaddafi died in October 2011. Although it's a few months off, the prediction is still impressive given it was made almost 30 years earlier!

(6) Star Trek and the 1969 Moon landing

In a 1967 episode entitled “Tomorrow Is Yesterday”, one of the characters mentions that it's the year 1969 and a manned mission to the Moon is about to take place next Wednesday.
Apollo 11, the first space craft that took humans to the Moon, also set off in 1969 and on a Wednesday.

(7) Person of Interest and Edward Snowden

Person of Interest is a drama series that centres around a vigilante group that tries to prevent crimes before they happen. One episode in particular tells a story of a young, male N.S.A. whistle-blower named Henry Peck.
Peck discovers that his agency is illegally conducting large-scale mass surveillance and alerts the media. Upon releasing the information, he finds himself being hunted by the government. The episode aired over a year before the Edward Snowden did exactly the same.

( 8 ) The Chris Rock Show and O.J. Simpson

Simpson is a former American football player and a convicted felon, currently incarcerated at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada. But back in 1997, when he was still on trial, the comedian Chris Rock humorously ‘recalled’ in his TV show The Chris Rock Show when Simpson gave him a VHS entitled I Didn’t Kill My Wife… But If I Did, Here’s How I’d Do it.
In 2007, O.J. published a book entitled O.J. Simpson: If I Did It, Here’s How It Happened .

(9) Scrubs and Osama Bin Laden

The medical comedy show Scrubs managed to predict where Osama Bin Laden was hiding before the American government even knew where to look for the Al-Qaeda leader.
In one of the 2006 episodes, the janitor (played by Neil Flynn) tells one of the main characters that the U.S. "should be looking for Bin Laden in Pakistan". In 2011, the U.S. Navy found and killed Bin Laden in Abbottābad, Pakistan.

(10) The Simpsons and numerous historical events

The Simpsons is a true animated window into the future of human kind. In 2008, the cartoon showed a voting machine changing Homer's vote from Barack Obama to John McCain. The same thing happened in real life in 2012 when voters who ticked Obama's name accidentally voted for Mitt Romney.
One of the 1994 episodes mentions horse meat being added to meals. 2013 saw a huge European scandal where traces of horse meat were discovered in frozen food all around the continent.

The most recent parallel includes a 2008 episode in which Lisa predicts Donald Trump running for president. And that's just a fraction of a whole list of things that The Simpsons accurately predicted!

2 Shares

Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by jojothegreat(m): 11:46pm On Jun 21, 2017
Funny but nice
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Toks2008(m): 11:54pm On Jun 21, 2017
sexybbstar:
TV is a great source of entertainment. Nothing
feels better than laying on the couch, doing nothing, and watching re-runs of Friends on a Sunday afternoon.

But things get a bit weird when your favourite TV show becomes a bit more than just mindless entertainment. Some shows can become so eerie that they literally predict the future. It's rare, but it can happen! It certainly happened on these ten occasions we described below.

Family Guy and Robin Williams' suicide

One of the Family Guy episodes from season 10 shows a failed suicide attempt by the actor and comedian Robin Williams. The episode, originally aired in May 2012, coincidentally appeared on BBC Three just minutes before the news about the actor's real suicide broke on 14 August, 2014.

The Lone Gunmen predicted 9/11

The Lone Gunmen was a 2001 spinoff of the hugely successful X-Files series. Although the series was short lived and lasted only half a season, it made a memorable prediction that people talk about to this day. Airing six months before the actual terrorist attack, the pilot episode centres around the American government's plans to remotely fly a commercial airliner into the World Trade Centre in order to raise the defence budget.

The Jetsons and modern technology

The 1980s Hanna-Barbera cartoon featured a lot of visionary gadgets including flatscreen TVs, cleaning robots, video-conferencing, moving walkways, and tanning beds. Now used pretty much daily, these technologies were unheard of at the time of creation of the show.

Spooks and LondonUnderground bombing

The BBC MI-5 drama Spooks is well-known for its complicated plot, often based on real-life stories from the past. On one occasion however, the show managed to foresee the future rather than just copy it. Months before the 2005 London Underground bombings, the opening episode of season 4 dealt with an almost identical story.

Second Chance and Gadhafi's death Second

Chance was a very short-lived comedy show from the '80s that's mostly known for featuring pre- Friends Matthew Perry. It is also remembered for its eerie prediction of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's death.
The pilot episode shows the main character at the pearly gates, waiting in line to get into Heaven. One of his waiting companions is... yes, you guessed it - Muammar Gaddafi. The
Second Chance Colonel mentions he died in July 2011. The real-life Gaddafi died in October 2011. Although it's a few months off, the prediction is still impressive given it was made almost 30 years earlier!

Star Trek and the 1969 Moon landing

In a 1967 episode entitled “Tomorrow Is Yesterday”, one of the characters mentions that it's the year 1969 and a manned mission to the Moon is about to take place next Wednesday.
Apollo 11, the first space craft that took humans to the Moon, also set off in 1969 and on a Wednesday.

Person of Interest and Edward Snowden

Person of Interest is a drama series that centres around a vigilante group that tries to prevent crimes before they happen. One episode in particular tells a story of a young, male N.S.A. whistle-blower named Henry Peck.
Peck discovers that his agency is illegally conducting large-scale mass surveillance and alerts the media. Upon releasing the information, he finds himself being hunted by the government. The episode aired over a year before the Edward Snowden did exactly the same.

The Chris Rock Show and O.J. Simpson O.J.

Simpson is a former American football player and a convicted felon, currently incarcerated at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada. But back in 1997, when he was still on trial, the comedian Chris Rock humorously ‘recalled’ in his TV show The Chris Rock Show when Simpson gave him a VHS entitled I Didn’t Kill My Wife… But If I Did, Here’s How I’d Do it.
In 2007, O.J. published a book entitled O.J. Simpson: If I Did It, Here’s How It Happened .
Scrubs and Osama Bin Laden The medical comedy show Scrubs managed to predict where Osama Bin Laden was hiding before the American government even knew where to look for the Al-Qaeda leader.
In one of the 2006 episodes, the janitor (played by Neil Flynn) tells one of the main characters that the U.S. "should be looking for Bin Laden in Pakistan". In 2011, the U.S. Navy found and killed Bin Laden in Abbottābad, Pakistan.

The Simpsons and numerous historical events

The Simpsons is a true animated window into the future of human kind. In 2008, the cartoon showed a voting machine changing Homer's vote from Barack Obama to John McCain. The same thing happened in real life in 2012 when voters who ticked Obama's name accidentally voted for Mitt Romney.
One of the 1994 episodes mentions horse meat being added to meals. 2013 saw a huge European scandal where traces of horse meat were discovered in frozen food all around the continent.

The most recent parallel includes a 2008 episode in which Lisa predicts Donald Trump running for president. And that's just a fraction of a whole list of things that The Simpsons accurately predicted!

I was expecting clear numbering of your points....it will be easier to read..you should list them with numbers.
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 12:52am On Jun 22, 2017
Toks2008:

I was expecting clear numbering of your points....it will be easier to read..you should list them with numbers.

I've done that bro. Thanks sir.
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 22, 2017
Where are the other pictures
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 22, 2017
shoyemiayodeji:
Where are the other pictures

That's enough or what do u think?
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 22, 2017
sexybbstar:

That's enough or what do u think?

Trust me. ....it's not enough
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Toks2008(m): 10:32am On Jun 22, 2017
sexybbstar:

I've done that bro. Thanks sir.

this is front page worthy but it still needs good arrangement.

Each cartoon should have an image and it means you will have a comment page for each cartoon.

To get the images go to Google and paste the cartoon title and click on image under Google search box.

Once you are done you can quote lala
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 10:50am On Jun 22, 2017
shoyemiayodeji:

Trust me. ....it's not enough

Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jun 22, 2017
sexybbstar:

When I saw your mention, I thought you had added more pictures But you haven't
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
shoyemiayodeji:

When I saw your mention, I thought you had added more pictures But you haven't

I'm having a problem with uploading the pictures
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 22, 2017
sexybbstar:

I'm having a problem with uploading the pictures

Sorry about that.. ....It would have been a fp material.
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 22, 2017
shoyemiayodeji:

Sorry about that.. ....It would have been a fp material.
I will repost it next month in a well arranged manner.
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 22, 2017
sexybbstar:

I will repost it next month in a well arranged manner.

All the best
Re: 10 Ways Cartoons Predicted The Future. by Sugarcious(m): 9:26am On Jun 23, 2017
NICE UPDATE! What about Ben10? lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

I Quit Watching T.V. & Following Sports, After I Learned The Truth... / [video] VOICE Latest Yoruba Movie 2019 Bukunmi Oluwasina| Lateef Adedimeji 4k / Where Can I Download "SIX" Seasonal Film

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.