Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,582 members, 7,823,519 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun (2380 Views)

200 Graduates Get N74m, Free Land In Ogun / 10 Most Profitable Cash Crops In Nigeria / Kenaf Value Chain: A Most Profitable Agribusiness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 5:40pm On Jun 22, 2017
Hello,

I recently acquired a total of 157hecters of good arable farm land in Ogun state and I intend to farm maize and/or cassava on it. I am in need of information concerning the cost implications as well as the profit prospects of this farming each or these crops.

I am also open to other favorable agricultural uses for the land.

I would appreciate prompt and useful contributions as I'm in a hurry to start work on the land.

Thank You
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by Oluwapresley(m): 6:18pm On Jun 22, 2017
teddyope31:
Hello,

I recently acquired a total of 157hecters of good arable farm land in Ogun state and I intend to farm maize and/or cassava on it. I am in need of information concerning the cost implications as well as the profit prospects of this farming each or these crops.

I would appreciate prompt and useful contributions as I'm in a hurry to start work on the land.

Thank You

Hello ma. pls, is there a way I can get across to you?
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 6:23pm On Jun 22, 2017
we can talk on here, do u have any information for me
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by Oluwapresley(m): 6:30pm On Jun 22, 2017
teddyope31:

I wouldn't say I'm an expert per se. I just completed my first degree in agriculture (agricultural extension) and I'm currently working with a colleague on plantain farming. what caught my eyes was the 157hectares of land. that's huge. Ma, I don't mind working for you o. truth is, I need field experience to grow. thanks ma:-)
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by Oluwapresley(m): 6:33pm On Jun 22, 2017
teddyope31:

as regards plantain farming, while carrying out research on it, I came across this breakdown. It could be helpful, although its far back 2014. https://www.nairaland.com/1813825/goldmine-plantain-farming-regular-sources
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 6:57pm On Jun 22, 2017
Oluwapresley:

as regards plantain farming, while carrying out research on it, I came across this breakdown. It could be helpful, although its far back 2014. https://www.nairaland.com/1813825/goldmine-plantain-farming-regular-sources

thanks but I need someone with experience who will give me a money back offer for now...when I see someone who will take charge of the land and give me my profit, maybe u can work for him/her

1 Like

Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by Oluwapresley(m): 7:11pm On Jun 22, 2017
teddyope31:

thanks but I need someone with experience who will give me a money back offer for now...when I see someone who will take charge of the land and give me my profit, maybe u can work for him/her
alright, ma. Can I get back to you on the expert part, ma?
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 7:17pm On Jun 22, 2017
Oluwapresley:
alright, ma. Can I get back to you on the expert part, ma?
OK ASAP

1 Like

Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by Oluwapresley(m): 7:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
teddyope31:

OK
ASAP
most definitely, ma:-) one last question; the project would be funded by?
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by olly6559: 7:31pm On Jun 22, 2017
Pls, check for the meaning and difference BTW Acres and Hectares. I doubt you meant to say plots of land and not hectares because no business minded person will acquire hectares of lamd , more than an hundred and thereafter ask for what to with it

1 Like

Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by olly6559: 7:37pm On Jun 22, 2017
Be conscious of cost of Land clearing not to mention of the total labour cost (labourers have turned farm kings recently), even mechanical land clearing is not for learners (# or $). Think twice before you embark on any agricultural adventures measured in hectares (money matters). Just my experienced advice.
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 9:49pm On Jun 22, 2017
olly6559:
Be conscious of cost of Land clearing not to mention of the total labour cost (labourers have turned farm kings recently), even mechanical land clearing is not for learners (# or $). Think twice before you embark on any agricultural adventures measured in hectares (money matters). Just my experienced advice.

thanks, and yes I meant HECTERS,

I am a large scale investor not an agriculturist, that is why I am looking for someone with a good amount of experience in farming who knows fully well the pros and cons and is interested in farming a large piece of land....(I may choose to only use a portion if the land for starters)...all I am investing is the Land.
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by grpCaptain(m): 12:35am On Jun 23, 2017
You may need to answer few questions before I can give you my sincere advice.

(1) Is the land in question cleared of trees and brushes? Totally cleared or partly cleared? If partly, how many hectares?

(2) Are you interested in a mechanized farming or just hiring laborers to do manual work, obviously 157 hectares of land will need mechanization of some sort.

(3) Are you planning to buy your own equipments or wish to rent from others and pay for services?

(4) Are you willing to go into partnership for cultivating the land?

If the answer to question 3 and 4 is yes. Then we can surely consider offer of partnership or equipment rental. We are located in Iseyin and can arrange something.

If you wish to operate a large mechanized farming with all necessary equipments and personnel, then prepare an upward of 500 million Naira at the minimum to get all the things you need from Tractors, Sprayers, harvesters, fertilizer, seeds, up to silos.
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by olly6559: 12:54am On Jun 23, 2017
In the interim, u can secure the services of a bulldozer to clear like 5 or 10 hectares first; plow and harrow it with tractor , then do the planting. You can then expland to the remaining portions of land over the year as funding comes in. Manual labour will dig holes in your pocket
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by olly6559: 12:55am On Jun 23, 2017
Cassava and maize won't be bad for a start this season
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by fison(m): 5:21am On Jun 23, 2017

Thank You

Waoooo!
That's about 2355 plots of land, approximately 393 acres.
That's big time investment, well I can be of help.
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by Tdaves(m): 6:12am On Jun 23, 2017
Talk to us www.forevergardensng.com
We are an agro-tech company with strong expertise & experience in crop plantation of Plantain, Rice, Maize and Cassava.
Office no: 0807652000 or 09052222022
or email mpfpp@forevergardensng.com

To educate urself check our youtube videos "Forever Gardens Farming as Business"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOv_2F2GyJk&t=5s
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 23, 2017
157 hectares is a serious business. My suggestion is you get a business plan for your business. Fortunately, I can recommend someone who will get it done for you at a reduced rate or might even be FREE. I know he's given many people free business plans. And those plans are customized for them. Plans you can present to any financial institution, investors etc. Included are: Income statement, Balance Sheet, cash flow statement, Sales, inventory analysis, Ratios: ROA, ROI, IRR, etc.

You will need a very good risk management strategy. In addition, you may need to insure your farm.

Seriously, you may not start working on all 157 hectares at once; however, it's paramount you know your breakeven ratio very well. You must be sure.

There is no room for trial and error. While I recommend all the above, you don't need to spend fortune on such business plan. And it's why I can recommend him. You may even pay him nothing as farming is his passion.

Please, do not very be in hurry to start your farm. Never! My suggestion is that you relax and pray to God to make a way. Talk to Him.

You also asked how you can use your land. Madam, there are so many ways. From my own experience, it's not how big your farm is but how well you utilize all resources you have. Farms near river are excellent. Road network is another issue.

Vegetable farming is an aspect you should look into. Try to read threads on nairaland here. Read on cucumber, tomato, cabbage, parsley, lettuce etc. Gain some more knowledge. Also, there are fruits you can have on your farm that can be really rewarding. Long term investments such as cash crops aren't left out. Come on, you have a large land area and you should not limit yourself. But only a very good business plan can lead you to the right path.

2 Likes

Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by phroce05: 7:40am On Jun 23, 2017
I live within the axis of Owode/Abeokuta and I'm into full time farming,I'll like to provide detailed advise for you on how to go about your farming adventure,-land clearing,ploughing,ridging,planting and others
..you may wastapp me for details 08182219000
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 9:08am On Jun 23, 2017
fluentinfor:
157 hectares is a serious business. My suggestion is you get a business plan for your business. Fortunately, I can recommend someone who will get it done for you at a reduced rate or might even be FREE. I know he's given many people free business plans. And those plans are customized for them. Plans you can present to any financial institution, investors etc. Included are: Income statement, Balance Sheet, cash flow statement, Sales, inventory analysis, Ratios: ROA, ROI, IRR, etc.

You will need a very good risk management strategy. In addition, you may need to insure your farm.

Seriously, you may not start working on all 157 hectares at once; however, it's paramount you know your breakeven ratio very well. You must be sure.

There is no room for trial and error. While I recommend all the above, you don't need to spend fortune on such business plan. And it's why I can recommend him. You may even pay him nothing as farming is his passion.

Please, do not very be in hurry to start your farm. Never! My suggestion is that you relax and pray to God to make a way. Talk to Him.

You also asked how you can use your land. Madam, there are so many ways. From my own experience, it's not how big your farm is but how well you utilize all resources you have. Farms near river are excellent. Road network is another issue.

Vegetable farming is an aspect you should look into. Try to read threads on nairaland here. Read on cucumber, tomato, cabbage, parsley, lettuce etc. Gain some more knowledge. Also, there are fruits you can have on your farm that can be really rewarding. Long term investments such as cash crops aren't left out. Come on, you have a large land area and you should not limit yourself. But only a very good business plan can lead you to the right path.

Thanks for the advice, i found it very useful, im interested in a business plan and a feasibility study of some sort, if u can help with that. preferably for CASSAVA AND MAIZE
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 9:14am On Jun 23, 2017
grpCaptain:
You may need to answer few questions before I can give you my sincere advice.

(1) Is the land in question cleared of trees and brushes? Totally cleared or partly cleared? If partly, how many hectares?

(2) Are you interested in a mechanized farming or just hiring laborers to do manual work, obviously 157 hectares of land will need mechanization of some sort.

(3) Are you planning to buy your own equipments or wish to rent from others and pay for services?

(4) Are you willing to go into partnership for cultivating the land?

If the answer to question 3 and 4 is yes. Then we can surely consider offer of partnership or equipment rental. We are located in Iseyin and can arrange something.

If you wish to operate a large mechanized farming with all necessary equipments and personnel, then prepare an upward of 500 million Naira at the minimum to get all the things you need from Tractors, Sprayers, harvesters, fertilizer, seeds, up to silos.

yes i am willing to go into partnership, if u could send me your business plan for one hectare.
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 9:17am On Jun 23, 2017
olly6559:
In the interim, u can secure the services of a bulldozer to clear like 5 or 10 hectares first; plow and harrow it with tractor , then do the planting. You can then expland to the remaining portions of land over the year as funding comes in. Manual labour will dig holes in your pocket

thank you
yes i could start with a portion first, about 10 hectares, then move on from there.
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 9:20am On Jun 23, 2017
fison:

Thank You

Waoooo!
That's about 2355 plots of land, approximately 393 acres.
That's big time investment, well I can be of help.

In what areas exactly please, i saw your posts in the thread for maize cultivation and i was impressed. we could partner if you are up for it
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by TokyoBulls(m): 2:29pm On Jun 23, 2017
The investor will need over N120M to cultivate 157 hectares. This kind of investment is best done by a Cooperative or a group of medium-sized farmers, who have funds or have access to investors. If the land owner is only investing land, it means 100% of the inputs will be provided by the farmers. Small holder farmers cannot raise the required funding for this. I have a self-funded 63-acre farm and know it is not easy funding a big farm project. We can bring together farmers who will take 10 to 40 hectares and cultivate same for crop production.

For perspective, land is one of the least expensive items on the budget. My budget shows land is about 4% of the cost of crop production so the farmer will bear 96% of the cost. If you decide to go the route of working with a group of farmers, I am one and belong to a group that will be interested in this project.

2 Likes

Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 2:40pm On Jun 23, 2017
TokyoBulls:
The investor will need over N120M to cultivate 157 hectares. This kind of investment is best done by a Cooperative or a group of medium-sized farmers, who have funds or have access to investors. If the land owner is only investing land, it means 100% of the inputs will be provided by the farmers. Small holder farmers cannot raise the required funding for this. I have a self-funded 63-acre farm and know it is not easy funding a big farm project. We can bring together farmers who will take 10 to 40 hectares and cultivate same for crop production.

For perspective, land is one of the least expensive items on the budget. My budget shows land is about 4% of the cost of crop production so the farmer will bear 96% of the cost. If you decide to go the route of working with a group of farmers, I am one and belong to a group that will be interested in this project.

Thank you,
But i have done some resaerch and found that in the cultivation of a large scale maize or cassava plantation, the cost of land constitute about 10-15 % of total production cost
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by TokyoBulls(m): 3:16pm On Jun 23, 2017
I will be glad if you can share how 10 to 15% came about so we can all learn. I will gladly share numbers here too if necessary. Overall, I am interested if group farming is the way to go. Otherwise. only one farmer with more than 120M will be needed.
teddyope31:

Thank you,
But i have done some resaerch and found that in the cultivation of a large scale maize or cassava plantation, the cost of land constitute about 10-15 % of total production cost
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by grpCaptain(m): 9:03pm On Jun 23, 2017
teddyope31:

yes i am willing to go into partnership, if u could send me your business plan for one hectare.

We don't deal in one hectare. We deal in hundreds of hectares. We are going to be moving heavy equipments around like dozers, tractor, boom sprayer and combine harvesters.

What is your investment budget?
Answer if your land is cleared or not.

Land investment can be up to 10% if cleared. We inherited an uncleared land and it was about 3% of our total expenditure. So you and Tokyobull are in the right ballpark, with different in description.
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by grpCaptain(m): 9:17pm On Jun 23, 2017
TokyoBulls:
I will be glad if you can share how 10 to 15% came about so we can all learn. I will gladly share numbers here too if necessary. Overall, I am interested if group farming is the way to go. Otherwise. only one farmer with more than 120M will be needed.

You are comparing your 63 acres vs 390 acres she's trying to cultivate. I think 120 million will get you somewhere, but not close. We are cultivating for Maize and trust me, pesticides for Army worms alone will set you back a whole lot. We have similar land area and our fertilizer budget alone is over 13 million Naira. Seeds cost close to 10 million Naira for Pioneer if you want to do anything meaningful.
If she wants to do anything serious, GO BIG OR GO HOME.

1 Like

Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 11:09pm On Jun 23, 2017
grpCaptain:

We don't deal in one hectare. We deal in hundreds of hectares. We are going to be moving heavy equipments around like dozers, tractor, boom sprayer and combine harvesters.

Land investment can be up to 10% if cleared. We inherited an uncleared land and it was about 3% of our total expenditure. So you and Tokyobull are in the right ballpark, with different in description.

I get your drift. the land is currently uncleared. I am interested in a group of farmers taking over the land to farm, my company will have a share in the profits with the investment of land and a "fixed" percentage of cost, of course an agreement will have to be reached. we have to be furnished with the right information concerning the total cost investment and the profit prospects (including profit sharing ratios)
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 11:16pm On Jun 23, 2017
teddyope31:

I get your drift. the land is currently uncleared. I am interested in a group of farmers taking over the land to farm, my company will have a share in the profits with the investment of land and a "fixed" percentage of cost, of course an agreement will have to be reached. we have to be furnished with the right information concerning the total cost investment and the profit prospects (including profit sharing ratios)

all we initially planned to invest was the land, but if a reasonable profit sharing ratio can be arrived at with a little extra monetary investment, then we might invest monetarily
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 11:17pm On Jun 23, 2017
[quote author=TokyoBulls post=57784529]I will be glad if you can share how 10 to 15% came about so we can all learn. I will gladly share numbers here too if necessary. Overall, I am interested if group farming is the way to go. Otherwise. only one farmer with more than 120M will be needed. [/quote

we can discuss further on this your group farming idea. contact me via email
Re: Expert Advice: Most Profitable Use For 157hects Of Land In Ogun by teddyope31(f): 11:23pm On Jun 23, 2017
grpCaptain:

Yes we won't be dealing in 1 hectare as well, as you can see we have as much as 157 hectares to invest. I just want an estimate of the cost implications, if u can't break it down in singular hectares then give me as u can (e.g per 10 hectares)

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Help To Start A Pig Farm In Abuja / Is This The Best Herbicide So Far? / Cow Kidney Stones Available.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.