Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,598 members, 7,955,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:15 PM

5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Whatsapp - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Whatsapp (544 Views)

Weird? See The Crazy Things Nigerians Do In The Name Of Celebration (photos) / What Do Nigerians Do With Their OLD Aso Ebi? / Annoying Habits That  are Unfortunately Common (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Whatsapp by Jollof(m): 8:05pm On Jun 22, 2017
By now it's probably no surprise that BBM (Blackberry Messenger) is inching closer to extinction like the hair on my head. The once popular social chat tool has been overridden by WhatsApp, which you may agree is far more accessible for any smartphone. HOWEVER, some many Nigerians throw WhatsApp etiquette out of the window. Here are five things that I wish Nigerians didn't do on the app:

1. They overstep boundaries. It's one thing if you went to school with someone and lost touch after a good number of years, then from out of the blue that person contacts you on WhatsApp. If the person was a friend then naturally you would be pleased. But imagine you have been going to your office and perhaps wrote your phone number in a car parking register by special order of the security man, then you receive a Whatsapp message from that Security over the weekend saying, 'Good afternoon sir. How was your night?' (like we're on that level sef!...mschew). Thank God for the 'Block' option.

2. They can spam. As in, spaaaaaaaaaaam your app. If you're not careful and you happen to be in a hyperactive WhatsApp group, you'll be getting over a hundred notifications...per minute. Some wonder why their battery life keeps draining before noon - now you know. Thank God for the 'Mute'option.

3. They can spread fake news. I love being informed just as much as the next guy but for heaven's sake let's try to authenticate the news before broadcasting to all our Whatsapp contacts biko. With time if one keeps spreading false reports eventually you'll be know as the contact who is always 'yanning dust' or the one your contacts will start ignoring when you actually publish genuine news. The 'Forward' should be used only after Google has been referred to (I can't shout).

4. They can send plenty videos. Choi! Please I have a question - If they are going to send me videos which I have to download, can they also be generous to send data as well? Last time I checked data is not cheap (N2,000 for 2 GB).

5. They go dey pose (denge-denge). Ever since Whatsapp 'funkified' the Status section, I've been using my green eye to scope contacts having fun on vacation, exotic resorts, expensive interior decor, gourmet dishes...ati be be lo. Please, Facebook has tortured some of us enough with all these photos so just your profile picture in an empty background will be sufficient on WhatsApp biko nu.

These habits may not annoy people but it may just be that we've gotten used to it. After all, we can always just delete the app if it came right down to it. But that will NEVER happen grin

On to my next rant...

2 Likes

Re: 5 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Whatsapp by torres89: 8:48pm On Jun 22, 2017
have you chatted with every single Nigerian​ on WhatsApp

(1) (Reply)

#WCW: Are Women Really Their Own Worst Enemies? / Marriage / Looking For Igbo People In NYC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.