Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,216 members, 7,825,816 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (15214 Views)

Discussion on Doctrine between a Christian and a Jehovah's Witness / Commercial Driver Prays As A Muslim, Christian And Traditionalist Before A Trip / Selfie Sunday: What Are You Wearing To Church Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by elderhimself(m): 8:52am On Jun 25, 2017
Yessss, you can. As a christian, you are already part of the church (body of christ).

Afterall, its not going to church that will take you to heaven.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Babygal4eva(f): 8:54am On Jun 25, 2017
Relationship with God is a personal thing. Going to church doesn't make you a true Christian aand not going doesn't make you a heathen. I stopped going to church for a while cause of the hypocrisy that is seen in churches today. Politics upandan, workers gossiping and backstabbing each other and later coming to come and be singing praises in front if the congregation with the same mouth. I don't know how to hide my feelings so I chose to stop going, better to worship my God in the privacy of my home and know that my mind is clean and I'm in the spirit than to go to the gathering of the church members of this days.. No offense to any1

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by CanadianNurse: 8:54am On Jun 25, 2017
Tearless:
Not bad. All Evans needs to do is put his trust in Jesus as his king, thereby joining his kingdom and becoming a member of God's church, and voila! He's saved and can be with him in paradise. grin

OP, your religion is stupid_, dangerously stupid_, and it's quite beyond me how you fail to see this.
What is your own religion?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Freethought(m): 8:57am On Jun 25, 2017
Well, I'm a christian and I'm on my way to see 10 days in sun city
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Walexz02(m): 8:59am On Jun 25, 2017
Austema:
It is a wrong attitude to christinity, for he said..........wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I will come in their midst, so this question is like; can you be educated without going through school?, end time post spoted, this generation don't want to go to church again, lord help us
Yes you can be educated without going to school
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Walexz02(m): 9:01am On Jun 25, 2017
Iconoclaste:
Can you be a footballer and not go for training? We would more appropriately label you a sports fan.

Christianity is all about being Christ-like. Is that what Christ would do?
Tell me the name of Christ church
Of the ones his disciples built
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by hush15: 9:02am On Jun 25, 2017
Well, by my own understanding, you can't be a Christian and not go to church because faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God. One of the places you could here the Word is in the church and it's the best way to receive faith too just as the scriptures puts it, we two or more are gathered in my name, his presence exist there. Also, apostle Paul encourages us not to forsake the congregation of the brethens. Breathe s are spiritual brothers and sisters or family so to speak who are in one accord, have one believe, one faith and The great apostle understands that in that oneness, anything can't happen.

God's will is to worship in spirit and in truth and believe He is and a rewarded of those that diligently seek him. So, if you are a Christian, then you believe in Jesus and the message he brought. If you believe in Jesus, the you believe in Him the Father and Creator of all things. When you believe this, at some point, you just have to fellowship with others because Christianity cannot be practiced alone. It's a nature and the nature of Christ. Jesus was always at the temple and synagogues and always in the congregation of people.

So you can't be a Christian and not go to church, it's different from how frequently you go to church but you will go to church at so many points. For thanksgiving, to share testimonies and stir up others faith, for even your own faith to be strengthened, for fellowship and sharing of the Word in the bible and so forth.

So tell you sister, if she isn't going to church and she says she is a Christian, it's not a healthy Christian live and thus her Christianity can be questioned at any time in life. She needs to find a bible believing church to be part of Gods family in practice and not theory.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 25, 2017
CanadianNurse:
What is your own religion?
Humanism. grin
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Walexz02(m): 9:03am On Jun 25, 2017
Iconoclaste:
Can you be a footballer and not go for training? We would more appropriately label you a sports fan.

You are saying rubbish my friend.
Women have kids now without having to carry them in their belly for 9 months!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 25, 2017
torres89:
read acts 17 v 23

The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man, 25 nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything

christainity is following Christ in his ways not going to church.

going to church is only a social thing, it's very good and healthy.

but it's not compulsory, after all we are the temple of the Lord.

Good answer, but I doubt if Nigerians will listen. How can you tell them is wrong to worship their pastor?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by SmartMugu: 9:07am On Jun 25, 2017
Iconoclaste:

What church did Christ attend?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by blowjob: 9:08am On Jun 25, 2017
donaldking10:

Then wetin church do u?
THATS WHAT AM SAYIN ,WATIN BE CHURCH... grin
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by keypad1: 9:09am On Jun 25, 2017
Opeomoope:
My sister-in-law does not attend church nor
have any fellowship apart from me but
believes she is a christian because she prays,
reads the bible and believes that Jesus is
Lord. But friends say she is decieved and not
a christian at all, I’m confused can you be a
christian and not go to church?
- anne
Anne,
I’m not surprised that you’re confused
because it is true to say both that you don’t
need to go to church to be a Christian and
that if you don’t go to church, you’re not a
Christian. Let me explain.
If we were to narrow down what it means
to be a Christian, the best place to look is at
one of the people who Jesus said was a
Christian. If you remember the thief on the
cross next to Jesus ( Luke 23:39-43), Jesus
promises this man that he will be with him
in paradise. This man never got to go to
church, and yet he is a Christian because he
trusts in Jesus. So in that sense it is true to
say that you don’t have to be a church goer
to be a Christian. In fact as soon as you say
you “have to do something” to be a
Christian you are in danger of getting the
gospel message wrong.
However, the Bible has no concept of
individual spirituality - that is Christianity is
not something personal that has nothing to
do with anyone else. That is a very modern
way of thinking. We can see it in the above
passage, the way the man expresses his
trust in Jesus is that shifts his allegiances to
Jesus’ kingdom. He sees that Jesus is the
true king and joins his kingdom, he joins a
group of people - those ruled by Jesus the
king.
If you are a Christian, then you are a
member of God’s church. The church is now
your family, and they are God’s gift to us in
living Christian lives. We see this in Romans
8:28-30. Those who are saved are saved so
that Jesus would be the big brother of many
brothers. God is in the business of making a
family (have a read of Romans cool. This can
also be seen in the fact that most of the
instructions for Christians are done in the
plural, there are very few (if any)
instructions to individuals. (The Greek of the
NT distinguishes between singular and
plural ‘you’ English doesn’t do that anymore).
The Christian life was never meant to be
lived solo, God has gifted each member of
his church to serve one another, you can’t
do that solo. It is near impossible to live a
Christian life alone, it runs counter to
everything God has done for us. However,
some people can’t help but live alone. The
thief on the cross could not join a church, he
had no choice; but where we have a choice,
we really should become a part of God’s
church.
It’s like someone who gets married, but
never moves in with their husband. It is true
that you can be married without living
together, and there may be extreme
circumstances that you can think of where
someone may get married and not live
together (if someone is on their death bed
for example). But a real marriage involves
relationship. Becoming a Christian means
being a part of God’s family.
So my advice for your sister-in-law is, if she
can join a church near to her, she should do
so. If there is nothing holding her back (and
there might be legitimate reasons) she
should go to church. It’s best for her and for
the people who are missing out on her gifts
that she may bring to that church. If there is
some reason why she cannot get to or go to
church then encourage her to meet
regularly with other christians to read the
bible and pray (after all this is what the
essence of church is).
does it mean she pays her tithes and offerings to herself and not to God?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by 9jajoseph: 9:13am On Jun 25, 2017
Yemlabking:
The Bible does not support dat, he said we shld nt neglect our fellowship with other believers. Going to Church is very important ooo
back it up with the scripture where he said we shouldn't neglect our fellowship

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 25, 2017
Hmm...
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by eddyjasper: 9:29am On Jun 25, 2017
In Nigeria everyone is God, We seems To know every right and every wrong. .... who's a true worshipper and who's not. YET ALL THIS EVIL DWELLS AMONGST US.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 25, 2017
Salvation is not in church it's in Gods word so wherever you may find yourself on a Sunday take up his word and worship and you have performed your duty to God.

Some people stop going to church because of the hypocrisy sometimes displayed in the same church

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by hush15: 9:31am On Jun 25, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

erhm I passed a message on the confusion in Christianity

There may be many denominations as you have listed but there is only one God.
People can choose to believe Him different ways but what is more important and common to all is that they must walk according to His will and purpose. So no matter how the bible is being interpreted but one thing is common in all christians, It's the faith. It's our Christian creed, believing in the Father, believing in Jesus, first of the begotten of the Father, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and through Virgin Mary was born, who lived, crucified and died on the cross and on third day, he rose again and ascended into heaven and sitting on the right hand of God. Believe in the Holy Spirit, the body of Christ and the gathering of saints and eternal life.

Also is so many things thing binds us than what differentiates us. The Christian live is a beautiful life and am blessed to be a christian
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 25, 2017
KKKWHITE:
yes you can and going to church does not guarantee you a ticket to heaven without a holy heart

But not going to church will make you loose heaven even with the so called Holy heart
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 25, 2017
9jajoseph:
back it up with the scripture where he said we shouldn't neglect our fellowship

Hebrew 10:25
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by CanadianNurse: 9:36am On Jun 25, 2017
Buhari :

But not going to church will make you loose heaven even with the so called Holy heart
cry
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Flakky26(f): 9:38am On Jun 25, 2017
a christians not goin to church is deception and satanic lies

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by dingbang(m): 10:04am On Jun 25, 2017
Be holy, as your lord is holy...

That is a Christian...

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by FMCASH(m): 10:27am On Jun 25, 2017
Justice I smh
toyetade:

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by salbis(m): 10:27am On Jun 25, 2017
Teaser4:
Who church epp?
True Christians.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Hier(m): 10:30am On Jun 25, 2017
Opeomoope:

I’ns to read the
bible and pray (after all this is what the
essence of church is).

One thing I can induce from your write up is, you are a man of prayer, keep it up
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by godquality: 10:32am On Jun 25, 2017
Go to church for what? To go and show off the new shoes and clothes or the new car or brag in form of testimony on how you got a more lucrative job or new contract? Church is no longer what it used to be. I can communicate better with my God from the comfort of my home with nobody telling me the prayer points to pray for since I alone knows where's etching me the most. But that's just me.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Hier(m): 10:34am On Jun 25, 2017
eddyjasper:
In Nigeria everyone is God, We seems To know every right and every wrong. .... who's a true worshipper and who's not. YET ALL THIS EVIL DWELLS AMONGST US.
The devil won't cease looking for whom to devour
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Teaser4(m): 10:37am On Jun 25, 2017
salbis:
True Christians.
No na pastors
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Hier(m): 10:38am On Jun 25, 2017
SmartMugu:

What church did Christ attend?

Matthew 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Luke 2:46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rhema Chapel Pastor Was Into Occultism / Photo: The Testimony Of The Unbeliever / Former Herbalist Is Confronted, Renounces Fetish Practices, Surrenders To Jesus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.