Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? (2322 Views)

Pastor Charles Osazuwa: It Is A Sin To Be A Tenant In A Rented Apartment / Should I Confess That I Poured Hot Water On My Neighbor's Goat? / Is It A Sin To Have Sex With Wife On Sunday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 12:31pm On Jun 25, 2017
I am a member of one renown bible teaching church. recently, I'm living with catholics, I notice that pole used to gather at the father' house to do confession. this contradicts my own belief and also pose the question of if we confess to prirst, who will the priest confess to when he commit sin

Catholics in the house, what are the effects of not confessing ur sin to priest
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 25, 2017
Not comfortable telling sme1 what mistake I have made...
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by BasketballGURU(m): 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2017
Religion is the core quandary ôf this country
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2017
Chuvin22:
Ftc
say something abt the thread. nobody is competing FTC with u
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 12:39pm On Jun 25, 2017
BasketballGURU:
Religion is the core quandary ôf this country

like seriously??
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 25, 2017
lonikit:

say something abt the thread. nobody is competing FTC with u

Typing...
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Dignitas: 1:50pm On Jun 25, 2017
The priest can confess to his bishop when he sins. He can also confess to a fellow priest. Even the Pope confesses to a particular undisclosed priest.

So, a priest can hear the confessions of anybody, including his fellow priest, bishops and the Pope.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 2:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
Dignitas:
The priest can confess to his bishop when he sins. He can also confess to a fellow priest. Even the Pope confesses to a particular undisclosed priest.

So, a priest can hear the confessions of anybody, including his fellow priest, bishops and the Pope.

Thank you.

but is there any effect of not confessing to priest
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Tplkenny: 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2017
Why do Catholics confess their sins to a priest? Isn’t God the one who forgives us? Of course, God is the one who alone can and does forgive us our sins, but God in His mysterious plan for us from the beginning chose to show His love, including His forgiving love, through the Church. Remember the healing of the paralytic by Jesus and the reaction of the crowd? First, Jesus said, "Your sins are forgiven. "Then He told him to rise and walk. The reaction of the leaders to the first statement was: "He has blasphemed. Only God can forgive sins." The response of the people to the whole experience was different. They praised God for giving such authority to men. The emphasis of the Bible is the fact that Jesus forgave sins as the Son of Man, as one sent by God. This power to forgive sins Jesus passed on to the Apostles. The words are from John’s Gospel (John 20:21ff.): "Peace be with you,’ Jesus said again, ‘As the Father has sent me, so I send you." Then He breathed on them and said, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive men’s sins, they are forgiven them: if you hold them bound, they are held bound." But how can one know what sins to forgive or what sins to retain unless these are made known; that means unless they are confessed? This experience of confession of sins to a priest to receive the sign of God’s healing forgiveness is called by the Church the Sacrament of Penance or the Sacrament of Reconciliation. We are once more made one with God. Jesus intended this power to be exercised not only by the Apostles, but also by their successors for the good of sinners. In Matthew, chapter twenty eight, we read: "Full authority has been given to me both in Heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations. Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you and know that I am with you always until the end of the world." Now, as Catholics, we believe that by ordination, a priest is given as much power to minister God’s healing forgiveness as the Apostles themselves possessed. So the first reason why Catholics confess their sins to a priest is that God has chosen to express his forgiving love this way. Our humanity is sacred to God, He reaches out to us through and in accord with our humanity. God knows that one of our needs is to be certain, to be re- assured. God wants me to know with faith assurance that when I am sincerely repentant, when I am truly sorry, that He has forgiven my sins. Again and again Jesus showed His love through outward, external signs. The words said by the priest, "I absolve you from all your sins in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," are those faith- signs of the certainty of God’s forgiveness. Another need that we have is to get things off the chest, so to speak. We may know what is bothering us, but until we speak about it to someone else, the burden remains heavy. In the actual confession of our sinfulness to a priest, there is also a human feeling of being made free. In our letting go, God’s healing grace renews us and by the humbling experience of admitting our sins to another, we are responding to God’s call. A humble and contrite heart God will not spurn. Besides being at one with God, Jesus indicated that we need to be at peace with one another. In Matthew 5:23, Jesus said: "If you bring your gift to the altar and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift at the altar. Go first to be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift." Sin is both personal and communal. It affects me and my relationship with God. Practically, I cannot go to everyone personally and ask forgiveness, but the priest, as confessor and leader, represents the Church, the Community of Faith. In the experience of confession I am not only asking God to forgive me, but I am also asking the same from my brothers and sisters in the Lord. Faith in Jesus opens me to receive the sign of the Father’s forgiveness, healing and love each time I confess my sins this way.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 3:53pm On Jun 25, 2017
Tplkenny:
Why do Catholics confess their sins to a priest? Isn’t God the one who forgives us? Of course, God is the one who alone can and does forgive us our sins, but God in His mysterious plan for us from the beginning chose to show His love, including His forgiving love, through the Church. Remember the healing of the paralytic by Jesus and the reaction of the crowd? First, Jesus said, "Your sins are forgiven. "Then He told him to rise and walk. The reaction of the leaders to the first statement was: "He has blasphemed. Only God can forgive sins." The response of the people to the whole experience was different. They praised God for giving such authority to men. The emphasis of the Bible is the fact that Jesus forgave sins as the Son of Man, as one sent by God. This power to forgive sins Jesus passed on to the Apostles. The words are from John’s Gospel (John 20:21ff.): "Peace be with you,’ Jesus said again, ‘As the Father has sent me, so I send you." Then He breathed on them and said, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive men’s sins, they are forgiven them: if you hold them bound, they are held bound." But how can one know what sins to forgive or what sins to retain unless these are made known; that means unless they are confessed? This experience of confession of sins to a priest to receive the sign of God’s healing forgiveness is called by the Church the Sacrament of Penance or the Sacrament of Reconciliation. We are once more made one with God. Jesus intended this power to be exercised not only by the Apostles, but also by their successors for the good of sinners. In Matthew, chapter twenty eight, we read: "Full authority has been given to me both in Heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations. Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you and know that I am with you always until the end of the world." Now, as Catholics, we believe that by ordination, a priest is given as much power to minister God’s healing forgiveness as the Apostles themselves possessed. So the first reason why Catholics confess their sins to a priest is that God has chosen to express his forgiving love this way. Our humanity is sacred to God, He reaches out to us through and in accord with our humanity. God knows that one of our needs is to be certain, to be re- assured. God wants me to know with faith assurance that when I am sincerely repentant, when I am truly sorry, that He has forgiven my sins. Again and again Jesus showed His love through outward, external signs. The words said by the priest, "I absolve you from all your sins in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," are those faith- signs of the certainty of God’s forgiveness. Another need that we have is to get things off the chest, so to speak. We may know what is bothering us, but until we speak about it to someone else, the burden remains heavy. In the actual confession of our sinfulness to a priest, there is also a human feeling of being made free. In our letting go, God’s healing grace renews us and by the humbling experience of admitting our sins to another, we are responding to God’s call. A humble and contrite heart God will not spurn. Besides being at one with God, Jesus indicated that we need to be at peace with one another. In Matthew 5:23, Jesus said: "If you bring your gift to the altar and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift at the altar. Go first to be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift." Sin is both personal and communal. It affects me and my relationship with God. Practically, I cannot go to everyone personally and ask forgiveness, but the priest, as confessor and leader, represents the Church, the Community of Faith. In the experience of confession I am not only asking God to forgive me, but I am also asking the same from my brothers and sisters in the Lord. Faith in Jesus opens me to receive the sign of the Father’s forgiveness, healing and love each time I confess my sins this way.

tnx, but CNT we communicate God directly must we go through priests
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by NoWorries7(m): 5:24pm On Jun 25, 2017
@Tplkenny Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isaiah:5:20
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 25, 2017
lonikit:

Are you Catholic or you just want to mock what you don't understand?

1 Like

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 6:18pm On Jun 25, 2017
Pidgin2:

Are you Catholic or you just want to mock what you don't understand?

can u quote any libelous statement of mine. when did questioning become mockery. nobody forced u to comment woman.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by ScepticalPyrrho: 6:26pm On Jun 25, 2017
Kondomondo

This is what a christian section would look like.

Maybe, you'll request for a pentecostal section after a christian section have been created, then you'll probably need another section for your Pastor's church when the war amongst pentecostals begin.
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Lex11(m): 7:18pm On Jun 25, 2017
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" - 1 Timothy 2:5

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:15-16

3 Likes

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 25, 2017
lonikit:

can u quote any libelous statement of mine. when did questioning become mockery. nobody forced u to comment woman.

Are you a Catholic, yes or no?
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 7:55pm On Jun 25, 2017
Pidgin2:

Are you a Catholic, yes or no?
for now, I'm attending catholic, so I'm a part time member nw
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 7:58pm On Jun 25, 2017
Lex11:
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;" - 1 Timothy 2:5

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:15-16

tnk u sie

1 Like

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 7:59pm On Jun 25, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Kondomondo

This is what a christian section would look like.

Maybe, you'll request for a pentecostal section after a christian section have been created, then you'll probably need another section for your Pastor's church when the war amongst pentecostals begin.

funny
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Dignitas: 6:08pm On Jun 30, 2017
lonikit:

but is there any effect of not confessing to priest

You tell me what is the effect of not confessing one's sins. Then apply it to a Catholic. That's all.
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 7:12pm On Jun 30, 2017
Dignitas:

You tell me what is the effect of not confessing one's sins. Then apply it to a Catholic. That's all.
I mean must we confess to priest bfr we are forgiven. can't we talk to God ourselves?
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by funlord(m): 8:46am On Jul 19, 2017
Dignitas:

Thank you.

I can't receive pm's so if you have a question drop your what's app number here!
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by obinna58(m): 9:54am On Jul 19, 2017
Use to feel new after confession mostly at early morning Mass, until I understood what religion have done to our mind.

Confession is as crazy as tithing

1 Like

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 10:25am On Jul 19, 2017
obinna58:
Use to feel new after confession mostly at early morning Mass, until I understood what religion have done to our mind.

I don't understand u bro.
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 10:26am On Jul 19, 2017
obinna58:

are trying to condemn religion
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 10:30am On Jul 19, 2017
obinna58:

I tink religion or confession is not my problem but the issue of confessing to a priest. I want to beliv that we can talk to God directly
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by obinna58(m): 2:16pm On Jul 19, 2017
lonikit:

I tink religion or confession is not my problem but the issue of confessing to a priest. I want to beliv that we can talk to God directly
when u start thinking and realizing the wrong sides of ur religion, that's the moment u gradually standing on ur own, and if u continue to use ur brain and question somethings, it will lead U to being nonreligious
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Precial419: 2:37pm On Jul 19, 2017
Only God has d power to forgive sins. Jesus gave the apostles d mandate to forgive sins n by mandate to all men, i cant really say if d mandates is to only priests. But before u go for confession, its advisable u take a sober moment of reflection, if u r nt truly sori den u have wasted ur time.
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 4:36pm On Jul 19, 2017
Precial419:
Only God has d power to forgive sins. Jesus gave the apostles d mandate to forgive sins n by mandate to all men, i cant really say if d mandates is to only priests. But before u go for confession, its advisable u take a sober moment of reflection, if u r nt truly sori den u have wasted ur time.

can one neglect the issue of going to priests and confess to God directly??
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 4:43pm On Jul 19, 2017
obinna58:

when u start thinking and realizing the wrong sides of ur religion, that's the moment u gradually standing on ur own, and if u continue to use ur brain and question somethings, it will lead U to being nonreligious

God will lead us aright
Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:06pm On Jul 19, 2017
lonikit:

This is like asking a protestant "why read the bible? Can we just get the holy spirit talk to us personally?"

Or asking a Lutheran Or a baptist "why do baptism as a part of receiving justification, is the giving your life to Christ by using the sins prayer not enough?"

In each of these cases a christian will say to listen to the holy spirit is great, to give your life to Jesus by saying the sinner prayer is beautiful, a catholic will say to confess to God is marvelous but God himself devised was by which we express our relationship with him.
Jesus give us scripture as a unique way of listening to him.
Jesus give baptism as a unique way of giving our lives to him by participating in Christ death and resurrection.

In a similar way a catholic, an orthodox and a oriental christian believe that confession is the unique way in which God express him forgiving love in the new covenant. Through it a true penitent receives unfailing assurance that him sinner is good.

Now on a lighter note will you talk a friend not to read him bible because the spirit of God can speak to him personally? Will you tell your friend to avoid baptism because he has given his life to Christ with the sinner prayer. The same way a catholic will take advantage of confession even though he can ask God directly. Because in confession he has the unfailing assurance of forgiveness, the peace of mind that follows, reconciliation with the people of God and the bonus of receiving matured christian advice on how to deal with the specific sins, encouragement, sometimes mini counselling.

1 Like

Re: Catholic: Must We Confess Sin To Priest, Cant We Talk To God Directly??? by lonikit: 5:20pm On Jul 19, 2017
Ubenedictus:

This is like asking a protestant "why read the bible? Can we just get the holy spirit talk to us personally?"

Or asking a Lutheran Or a baptist "why do baptism as a part of receiving justification, is the giving your life to Christ by using the sins prayer not enough?"

In each of these cases a christian will say to listen to the holy spirit is great, to give your life to Jesus by saying the sinner prayer is beautiful, a catholic will say to confess to God is marvelous but God himself devised was by which we express our relationship with him.
Jesus give us scripture as a unique way of listening to him.
Jesus give baptism as a unique way of giving our lives to him by participating in Christ death and resurrection.

In a similar way a catholic, an orthodox and a oriental christian believe that confession is the unique way in which God express him forgiving love in the new covenant. Through it a true penitent receives unfailing assurance that him sinner is good.

Now on a lighter note will you talk a friend not to read him bible because the spirit of God can speak to him personally? Will you tell your friend to avoid baptism because he has given his life to Christ with the sinner prayer. The same way a catholic will take advantage of confession even though he can ask God directly. Because in confession he has the unfailing assurance of forgiveness, the peace of mind that follows, reconciliation with the people of God and the bonus of receiving matured christian advice on how to deal with the specific sins, encouragement, sometimes mini counselling.

tnx, but my question is still hanging in the air. all u just did was all about the importance of confession from Catholic perspective.

my question is must we confess to priest? can we just confess to God maybe in our room or in the church
if we confess to God and not the priest, will the sin not be forgiven?. these are my ques

(1) (2) (Reply)

Follow Pst Chris On Twitter / Deapsight, N Nwankwo, Justcool,kay 17, Martian ,et Al, Lets Discuss Spirituality / The biblical Day Of Judgement happens everyday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.