Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,140 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! (554 Views)

African Lady Who Lost In The Middle Of Desert In UAE (Photos) / Lady Survived Motor Accident In Wuse, Abuja. Photos / I Drank My Own Pee To Survive - Abandoned Woman Survived 10 Days In Desert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! by AmuDimpka: 8:25am On Jun 28, 2017
A 22-year-old Nigerian woman attempting to migrate into Europe via the harsh Sahara Desert survived after being abandoned by traffickers for 10 days.

The International Organisation for Migration said the woman, given the nickname Adoara, was the only female among the survivors of a rescue mission on May 28.

“She left Nigeria in early April hoping for a better future in Europe.
“There were 50 migrants on the pick-up truck when it left Agadez for Libya, but only six are still alive today,” Giuseppe Loprete, Niger Chief of Mission for IOM, said.

Recounting her ordeal, the Nigerian survivor said:

“We were in the desert for 10 days. After five days, the driver abandoned us.
“He left with all of our belongings, saying he was going to pick us up in a couple of hours, but he never did,” she recalled.

During the next two days, 44 of the migrants died which persuaded the six left to start walking to look for help.

“We had to drink our own pee to survive,” said the woman now in an IOM camp in Niamey, Niger.

She had left Nigeria with two close female friends, who both died in the desert.

“They were too weak to keep going,” she sadly remembers. “We buried a few, but there were just too many to bury and we didn’t have the strength to do it,” Adaora adds.
“I couldn’t walk anymore. I wanted to give up,” she recalls.

Two other migrants carried her until a truck driver picked them up and took them to local authorities who then alerted IOM staff in Dirkou in the Agadez Region of north-eastern Niger.

By the time the six survivors reached IOM’s transit centre in Dirkou, Adaora was unconscious.

She received medical assistance, and once recovered, she gave a detailed account of her experience to both the authorities and IOM staff. Two of the other migrants from the group went back with IOM staff and the authorities to find the bodies and identify the victims.

After having received medical assistance at IOM’s transit centres in both Dirkou and Agadez, Adaora is currently recovering at IOM’s transit centre for migrants in Niamey, awaiting her imminent voluntary return to Nigeria.

Adaora says she had no idea what the route was going to be like, otherwise she would have never left Nigeria. Going back, she wants to continue her work as a nurse. “I think it’s important we all assist each other when we are in need,” she says.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said it rescued no fewer than 600 people since April 2017 through a new search and rescue operation that targeted migrants stranded in Sahara Desert.

The UN migration agency, however, regretted 52 migrants, mostly from The Gambia, Nigeria, Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire, died over the period, according to its statement on Tuesday.

For more details
https://etimes.com.ng/abandoned-nigerian-woman-survives-10-days-sahara-desert/

Re: How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! by Nobody: 8:32am On Jun 28, 2017
Why should a lady take such risky and reckless journey with the hazards there
Re: How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 28, 2017
If the lady is the one in the photo then her name is not Adaora.
Re: How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! by ellapius(f): 8:48am On Jun 28, 2017
So sori
Re: How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! by DuBLINGreenb(m): 9:01am On Jun 28, 2017
Theres a reason you survived congrats.
It is just too expensive to make this journey people should know.
It would be far cheaper to board a flight and get documentation.
Government should advertise the requirements to travel to other countries and negotiate with certain countries to let some people who cant afford it go just for one week to see the slums,favellas,ghettos,shanties in those countries and the normal life as well.
music vids, rumours etc. should not be used to tell people about how the lives they do not have in nigeria can be gotten abroad.
I notice i think about living the country when theres no electricity and my laptop, phone, ipad etc are flat I remember to pray to God that the thing keeping here should finish and fights on my street happen the most when theres no electricity so give the people electricity.
My2cents My15naira.
Re: How A Nigerian Lady Survived 10 Days In Desert ! by AmuDimpka: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2017
Biko whaybwill he her name....It wasn't her name
woodcook:
If the lady is the one in the photo then her name is not Adaora.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Places To Visit In Delhi / Oyinbo Man Hawking Soft Drinks To Nigerian In Traffic In The UK / Man Quits His Job, Travels 31,000 Miles In A Renovated Van With His Cat [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.