Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,907 members, 7,838,236 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? (12469 Views)

Do People Still Cross From. Libya. To. Spain / How Do People React When You Say You Are Nigerian? / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by lucabrasi(m): 2:15pm On Apr 23, 2008
im studying in uk and from what i have seen here,i agree with the comments that london/uk is overrated,once you go from london bridge to the city thats 85% of tourist attraction covered,the food is fattening,greasy i.e fish n chips,sausage,fry ups,the people are dirty and even native englishmen/women are moving abroad in droves,go to spain,turkey,and other european countries plus australia and new zealand and see how many english people are taking up personal residence, the living standard is expensive,everything is over priced and even going shopping from ipod to laptops to normal clothing is way over priced and even american fashion and sporting giants call the uk treasure island(not my words,from bbc news last week)on account of how much they make selling their stuffs here,i have to agree that its not right to generally diss london as an advanced lagos but at the same time i repeat london is wayyy overeated,and for the benefit of the acussations that some dont like uk because they dont have a stay its not true.

even though nigeria is bad its better than uk investment wise,dont dare invest your money on properties in uk or you ll get burnt badly,whereas nigeria property developers are not smiling but laughing to the banks.
dont buy stocks here in the uk or you will have a heart attack,in nigeria buy any stock on the stock exchange and go back to sleep and you r covered.
its a vibrant economy in nigeria so anything you invest in is bound to be sucessful because theres a market but not the same thing in the uk.
the social life in nigeria is better,people go to each other's houses in nigeria in uk opposite is the case and if you think it doesnt matter then go check out some old people that have died 3 days without anyone even knowing,or the bbc programme"people in my street" which is a programme looking at people living in same street for years and not mixing up with each other and how the loneliness can actually affect your health and hasten suicide.
in nigeria opposite is the case,why dyu think more ppl commit suicide here than nigeria in spite of the suffering?
nigeria is a long way from uk but we have had less than50 years while the uk has had hundreds of years,and i can assure you that nigeria will be miles better than uk in another 50 years if thigs continue this way.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Dreloaded(f): 2:21pm On Apr 23, 2008
am I crazy or are the Nigerians in London more likely to get defensive over the place than those of us who live in the States?

Why is that? embarassed
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by EloSela(f): 3:27pm On Apr 23, 2008
I don’t know why people diss London or tend to have severe issues with those of us who tend to big it up. I can only imagine that such resentment is borne from some insecurities which have not yet come to fore on their part.

As for me, London is one of the best cities in the world, in fact it has been labelled at the ‘capital of the world’ by many. An ‘advanced Lagos’? Whoever said that must be smokin’ something good and I want some! lol.

I personally believe that Lagos can not come close to London in terms of technological or sociological advancement in a million years. For starters, the attitude of some Lagosians, where everyone is out for themselves without a care for their neighbour or fellow human beings is disgusting. Then you have the lack of basic amenities such as running clean water and electricity which always seem to be forever out of reach to the inhabitants of Lagos and the rest of Nigeria.

The number of dead bodies and dogs that I have seen lying around in Lagos should say a lot about the mentality of individuals in that city alone. Then you have the beggars with small children hanging around and the cripples who are treated worst than dogs because of their predicament.

I was reading an article the other day about a Nollywood actress who caused a car crash that ended up killing a doctor. This doctor could have been saved, but unfortunately that nasty Nigerian mentality that I despise so much reared its ugly head. The relatives or other of the actress arrived at the scene and just carried her away to the hospital while leaving the poor man in his crushed car to die. What’s more, the lady was given just seven years in jail for causing the death or ordered to pay N100,000 to escape jail.

In such a society progress will be hard and long if at all and I really think that Lagosians should think about how they can mend such issues in their society before trying to compare themselves with an ancient, historical and world class capital city of London. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Jackal1(m): 5:52pm On Apr 23, 2008
@ D-reloaded,

Shush!!!!!!!!
Nigerians in London are defensive ma foot.
Whats the suffering index in your city compared to London.

@ Elosela,

Dont mind these crack-fiends. . .
How can anyone compare London to Lagos?
They must be smoking more than weed. . . . . .some pubic hair may be included in what they smoking.
Buncha schmukz!!!!!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by LadyT(f): 5:55pm On Apr 23, 2008
grin grin grin

angry@D-reloaded **** will hear of this!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Dreloaded(f): 6:23pm On Apr 23, 2008
Jackal.:

Nigerians in London are defensive ma foot.

Not even trying to be funny here, you know it's true. It's "British Nigerians" that you see going around telling other Nigerians to "go back to their country". Pathetic bullshit I'd expect from hicks. Parroting the slogans by the same BNP that doesnt even want you guys there in the first place.

You don't see us going into sermons and essays calling those who don't like The States "insecure" and other meaningless garbage.

Most you'd find me and others doing and is making little jokes here and there about the weather, atrocious food and the Queen.  The usual amusing sterotypes. To actually get into a debate that spans over 20 pages over why we think "America is so great", doubtful

You'd sooner find me defending Nigeria or Yoruba people than the States even though I've lived here way longer than I have Nigeria.

Some of the British asslicking is just embarrassing  embarassed
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:26pm On Apr 23, 2008
EloSela:

I don’t know why people diss London or tend to have severe issues with those of us who tend to big it up. I can only imagine that such resentment is borne from some insecurities which have not yet come to fore on their part.

As for me, London is one of the best cities in the world, in fact it has been labelled at the ‘[i]capital of the world’ [i][/[/i]i]by many. An ‘advanced Lagos’? Whoever said that must be smokin’ something good and I want some! lol.

I personally believe that Lagos can not come close to London in terms of technological or sociological advancement in a million years. For starters, the attitude of some Lagosians, where everyone is out for themselves without a care for their neighbour or fellow human beings is disgusting. Then you have the lack of basic amenities such as running clean water and electricity which always seem to be forever out of reach to the inhabitants of Lagos and the rest of Nigeria.

The number of dead bodies and dogs that I have seen lying around in Lagos should say a lot about the mentality of individuals in that city alone. Then you have the beggars with small children hanging around and the cripples who are treated worst than dogs because of their predicament.

I was reading an article the other day about a Nollywood actress who caused a car crash that ended up killing a doctor. This doctor could have been saved, but unfortunately that nasty Nigerian mentality that I despise so much reared its ugly head. The relatives or other of the actress arrived at the scene and just carried her away to the hospital while leaving the poor man in his crushed car to die. What’s more, the lady was given just seven years in jail for causing the death or ordered to pay N100,000 to escape jail.

In such a society progress will be hard and long if at all and I really think that Lagosians should think about how they can mend such issues in their society before trying to compare themselves with an ancient, historical and world class capital city of London. grin

By who - First hear for me-
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Jackal1(m): 6:39pm On Apr 23, 2008
@ D-reloaded,

I have warned u times without number to stop generalising. . . .

Just because u have some pseudo-authoritative, priggish and pest-natured scums as pals dont mean everyone in the UK thinks that way.
Why should i tell any Nigerian to go back to Nigeria? Whatz ma bizznizz with where he wants to reside?
No one is doing some ass-licking here but comparing Lagos to London is a bit taking STUPIDITY too far.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but there are some comparisons that exude foolishness in the top drawer.
Its becoming prevalent these days for some twats to spew that London/Lagos are in the same league.
All u need to see is how other European countries are moving en masse to the UK when some countries were allowed to join the EU.
The facts speak for itself. . . . .I wont even waste words anymore.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by EloSela(f): 7:18pm On Apr 23, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

By who - First hear for me-

Don't you read. . . or even google? I did say that some had touted and here is one of my sources and there are a host of others online if you care to take a look.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/business/worldbusiness/27london.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=a71491dec620088b&ex=1319601600&partner=rssnyt
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Dreloaded(f): 10:20pm On Apr 23, 2008
Jackal I'm going by the ridiculous eresponses by the "British Nigerians" in all of the "London" threads.

It's the same old defensive responses. "go back to your horrible Naija if you don't like it" blah blah blah. If I had time to waste, I'd quote them for you. It's Pitiful

as for comparing London to Lagos, I think people mainly say that cos of the amount of Nigerians that are there. I mean like how some people say peckham is like oshodi cos of the way Nigerians there behave. I dont know about you guys but I assume most of it is just tongue in cheek
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Jackal1(m): 12:18am On Apr 24, 2008
@ D-reloaded,

I see. . . .

Maybe people should draw the line between tongue-in-cheek and stating the facts.
Too much Nigerians in the UK doesn't equate it to Lagos by any means. . . .Too much Igbo people in Germany doesn't make it Onitsha, does it?
Only a complete doofus would compare Lagos to London. . . .
I cannot really blame any British Nigerian having a go at the people making such dud comparisons. tongue tongue
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by DisGuy: 1:02am On Apr 24, 2008
It's the same old defensive responses. "go back to your horrible Naija if you don't like it" blah blah blah. If I had time to waste, I'd quote them for you. It's Pitiful

thats not defensive, that's candid advice!! cool

you hear people complaining "I've lived in this country for over 15 years blah blah blah. . ." what are they still doing there then if they don't like it
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by lucabrasi(m): 1:14am On Apr 24, 2008
the people living in the uk for 15 years are not the ones complaining,they are the ones that tell people to go back home and propagate enoch powelll's rivers of blood speech or go on about how nigerians should stay in nigeria to make something of their life while they are in the uk making a life for themselves
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Dreloaded(f): 1:31am On Apr 24, 2008
lucabrasi:

the people living in the uk for 15 years are not the ones complaining,they are the ones that tell people to go back home and propagate enoch powelll's rivers of blood speech or go on about how nigerians should stay in nigeria to make something of their life while they are in the uk making a life for themselves

Exactly. Pathetic morons.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by almondjoy(f): 7:50am On Apr 24, 2008
Thank God for America!

The place/people are just too dry and stiff for words.  Terrible sense of humor. . .and the place is "backward"! angry  Defies civilization----------too colonial even by Nigerian standards.  I prefer China abeg.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by luvlawyer(f): 11:20am On Apr 24, 2008
and TOKYO is so me!!!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by gbeborun(m): 12:24pm On Apr 24, 2008
almondjoy:

Thank God for America!

The place/people are just too dry and stiff for words. Terrible sense of humor. . .and the place is "backward"! angry Defies civilization----------too colonial even by Nigerian standards. I prefer China abeg.

Goodluck to you. abeg make una leave England for us!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Dreloaded(f): 2:08pm On Apr 24, 2008
lol when BNP casts you out, you will know who England really belongs to.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by eldee(m): 10:42am On Apr 25, 2008
Jackal.:

@ D-reloaded,

I see. . . .

Maybe people should draw the line between tongue-in-cheek and stating the facts.
Too much Nigerians in the UK doesn't equate it to Lagos by any means. . . .Too much Igbo people in Germany doesn't make it Onitsha, does it?
Only a complete doofus would compare Lagos to London. . . .
I cannot really blame any British Nigerian having a go at the people making such dud comparisons. tongue tongue

Nigerians that talk like that are the ones that live in Woolwich and Peckham
Them lot that live the triangle life of WORK, HOME, WORK
Some Nigerians are still scared of going to White-dominated areas cause they're scared of 'The Man'
Then they come back to naija and say London is this, London is that
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by robby1(m): 9:20pm On Nov 04, 2008
Those defending london. Good for you.
Those comparing london to lagos, move away from peckham and find a house in centeral london.
As for me, once i get my degree (UK degrees are the best by the way) i am heading back for abuja where i fit get mouth and drive on good roads with no road tax, insurance, MOT and No ridiculous rents. Ah!!!. Naija rocks!!!!
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by DisGuy: 12:07am On Nov 05, 2008
r_o_b_b_y:

Those comparing london to lagos, move away from peckham and find a house in centeral london.
As for me, once i get my degree (UK degrees are the best by the way) i am heading back for abuja where i fit get mouth and drive on good roads with no road tax, insurance, MOT and No ridiculous rents. Ah!!!. Naija rocks!!!!

you think sooo?? you should check the properties section
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by tpia: 5:43am On Nov 05, 2008
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by Lumyboi(m): 5:53am On Nov 05, 2008
go Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
welcome to white house
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by GoldCircle: 11:24am On Nov 05, 2008
r_o_b_b_y:

Na only bold talk truth! Na God go bless U! cool
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by robby1(m): 10:01pm On Nov 05, 2008
Dis Guy:

you think sooo?? you should check the properties section

when i say no ridiculous rent, i mean my papa house lol. geddit?

GoldCircle:

Na only bold talk truth! Na God go bless U! cool

Thank you jare my brother
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by blackspade(m): 5:37am On Nov 06, 2008
Not trying to sound like an arse or anything, but London stinks.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by AngieFan(f): 9:23am On Nov 06, 2008
I think Nigerians in general, lack tact, diplomacy and courtesy. They will willingly take up residence in a foreign country and then talk smack about and at the same time demand respect for the very country they have run away from.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by AngieFan(f): 9:27am On Nov 06, 2008
blackspade:

Well you failed because you sound like a prime piece of arse. What was that saying? "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!" Remember that and you will go far.
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by blackspade(m): 7:48pm On Nov 06, 2008
lol, sorry if I offended you. cool
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by robby1(m): 11:49am On Nov 08, 2008
Everyone is right in their own way. this is just like the proverbial blind men that were told to explain how an elephant looks like by feeling it and they all came with different assumptions judging from the part they felt, they were all right in describing one part. So if someone in the rural areas of nigeria goes to lagos and spends all his time in the slums in mushin or where ever they have the worst slums, they will go home and tell their people that the whole of lagos is a slum. same applies here. i have said it before, if u want to see the nice london, dont stay in peckham, woolwhich, hackney etc. every big city in the world has its ugly parts.

blackspade:

pls where did u stay? or are you just flowing with the chorus?
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by DisGuy: 3:22am On Nov 09, 2008
r_o_b_b_y:

Everyone is right in their own way. this is just like the proverbial blind men that were told to explain how an elephant looks like by feeling it and they all came with different assumptions judging from the part they felt, they were all right in describing one part. So if someone in the rural areas of nigeria goes to lagos and spends all his time in the slums in mushin or where ever they have the worst slums, they will go home and tell their people that the whole of lagos is a slum. same applies here. i have said it before, if u want to see the nice london, don't stay in peckham, woolwhich, hackney etc. every big city in the world has its ugly parts.

please where did u stay? or are you just flowing with the chorus?
actually don't stay in London if you want to see some nice place-but don't complain about availability of naija food either!

r_o_b_b_y:

when i say no ridiculous rent, [b]i mean my papa house lo[/b]l. geddit?

Thank you jare my brother

Hmm Big boy like you still wants to stay under daddy, borrowing his car
working for him, introducing you to a wife- grow up!  grin
Re: Why Do People 'Disrespect' London? by shotster50(m): 12:31am On Nov 10, 2008
If London is that bad, I wonder why its on everyones lips??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which Area In Lagos Is The Best To Reside? / The Secret Behind Canadian Asylum Scam! ( Chat Between Suxes2005 And Yemming) / Trailer Crushes NSCDC Official To Death In Niger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.