Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,221 members, 7,836,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Cucumber Experts Help - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cucumber Experts Help (1356 Views)

Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here / 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming / Watermelon/cucumber Training @ Owerri, Aba, Umuahia, PH And Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cucumber Experts Help by Jawn(m): 9:19am On Jun 29, 2017
How do I solve this pls ? I planted and travelled after two weeks. I spent about 16 days away and when I came back, I met the farm bushy. After weeding, most of the cucumber look like this. What can I spray or do about this ?

Re: Cucumber Experts Help by ipobarecriminals: 9:26am On Jun 29, 2017
Hausa farmers, help ur brethren.Hod bless una
Re: Cucumber Experts Help by RealChris(m): 1:47pm On Jul 01, 2017
Jawn:
How do I solv this pls ? I planted and traveld after two weeks. I spent about 16 days away and when I came back, I met the farm bushy. After weeding, most of the cucumber look like this. What can I spray or do about this ?

Not an expert but I think that's Downey mildew... There's little you can do about it. Just apply fertilizer and harvest the little you can. But if that's insect activities which I doubt, Just spray insecticides... cool
Re: Cucumber Experts Help by Seun(m): 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2017
Cucumber plants often suffer from powdery mildew disease. Caused by the Sphaerotheca fuliginea and the Erysiphe cichoracearum fungi, powdery mildew appears as white, powdery spots on the leaves. In shady growing conditions, the small spots often enlarge and merge until the white substance covers entire leaves, stems and stalks.
Of all the pests that feed on cucumber leaves, the leafhopper (Empoasca spp.) is most likely to turn the foliage white.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/causes-cucumber-leaves-turn-white-73627.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdery_mildew

2 Likes

Re: Cucumber Experts Help by jidestroud(m): 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2017
Jawn:
How do I solve this pls ? I planted and travelled after two weeks. I spent about 16 days away and when I came back, I met the farm bushy. After weeding, most of the cucumber look like this. What can I spray or do about this ?
Firstly, 16 days away from the farm is a No No for me. Everything could have gone wrong. Definitely good farm ethics.

Now to the issue at hand, good thing you cleared the sorrunding environment. As stated already, that's powdery mildew (a fungi disease). My approach to that would be home-based remedy. Simply use a Mixture of vegetable oil and baking soda (Note: Baking soda not baking powder) and spray. You should see improvements in weeks.

Note: There are organic fungicides you could use too.
Re: Cucumber Experts Help by jethro2: 5:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
Jawn:

Just forget it and start all over.
Nothing can bring it back again.
16 days out of 40-60 days crop maintenance is a no no

Sometimes we learn the hard way
Re: Cucumber Experts Help by majorgr: 7:28pm On Jul 01, 2017
i suspect it is caused by aphids sucking activity from the underside of the cucumber leave. tilt the leaf to view the underside of the cucumber leaf if u see some yellowish small insect stationary on the underside of the leaf sucking sap, if u see this, it is aphids pls spray accordingly.
Re: Cucumber Experts Help by Seun(m): 6:54pm On Jul 05, 2017
I think you can clean up the white fungus with damp rags. It is on the leaves, not inside them.
Re: Cucumber Experts Help by hybridveggies(m): 6:07am On Jul 06, 2017
This is as a result of fungi infection and activities of sap sucking insects which must have heavily infected the plant leaves. On the part of downy mildew, there is little you can do if you dont understand basic principles to managing it. While on the part of sap sucking insects, there are things you can still do though your yield has already been compromised. Please get insecticide with any of the following active ingredients: Profenofos, flubendamide and spirotetramat. Using this would surely get read of the sap suckers and the leaves would then regain some healthiness. You may also apply a bit of ammonium based fertilizer to promote production of new leaves. Your decision however should be hinged on the size of your farm and stage of growth now otherwise you may just try another cycle of cultivation and put in stringent preventive measures: Find valueable info on how to control downy mildew on: http://www.hybridveggies.com/2017/07/downy-mildew-most-devastating-disease.html and also many useful info on cucumber cultivation through : [url]http://www.hybridveggies.com/2017/03/cucumber-cultivation-dictionary-part-1.html [/url] and also visit us as always for great guide on veggies cultivation in tropical weather. www.hybridveggies.com
Re: Cucumber Experts Help by jidestroud(m): 7:21am On Jul 06, 2017
I think I will subscribe to jethro2's assessment of the situation. Don't try bringing it back to life. Simply start all over again. The chances of getting good yields from this plants are very very limited. Just start over again and please and please, employ good farm ethics and ethos; A day off the farm is lethal, how much more a whole 16 days.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Business Plan For Palm Oil Business In Nigeria / One Of The Best Pepper Seeds You Should Be Planting / Invest In Agriculture, Put Your Money In A Lucrative Investment, Invest In Palm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.