Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,082 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming (20161 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Experience (pictures) / My Cucumber Farming Journey / Cucumber Farming In Nigeria: Beginner’s Guide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by Adieza(m): 9:08pm On Nov 17, 2018
Farmer Adeola Yinka, shares her experiences on her facebook page for those who wish to go into cucumber farming, which finally had her great harvest after many low yields.

Several people has been contacting me since I posted the yesterday cucumber bumper harvest from our farm. They want to plant cucumber.

"What does it take to plant?
" What effort is required?
"How much will it cost?

Behind every single success story is some multiple stories of failure.

I have been planting cucumber since 4 years ago. I have planted several acres, small plots, demonstration plots etc. But I must confess yesterday harvest was just too extra ordinary.

What did I do differently?

I have kept on working and improving on the strategy to properly manage the cucumber

I have experimented with several types of seed.

The cucumber that did not germinate..

The cucumber that germinates but died at flowering stage..

The cucumber that survive the flowering but got diseased at fruiting or few days to harvest..

The cucumber that powdery mildew destroyed.

The cucumber that withered when rain stopped and I was praying for rainfall (Nigeria mentality)

The cucumber that sell at good price, the cucumber that sell at give away price and the cucumber that we throw away when there is no market

But then, in all of this, the most important is finding a way around all the challenges...

1. Using drip irrigation tapes instead of disturbing God with stupid prayer for rainfall.

2. Using plastic mulch instead of allowing weed compete with the crop thereby reducing the size

3. Using manure that can feed the plant properly with nutrients to fight against disease

4. Using quality seeds that can resist powdery mildew and all their likes

and so many other necessary things that is required to give a good yield.

5. Most important is persistence and the zeal to succeed against all odds. Farming is hard-work, It requires dedication and sacrifice.

6. Meanwhile an average Farmer believe he can just start a farm from the disjointed information he garnered from the internet, It requires acquiring knowledge.

7. An average Farmer want to start the farm because he has enough fund but with no technical know how Farming like every other professional require knowledge. Sure I have been telling people that care to listen that we will change the face of farming in Nigeria.

I see a future where farming is simplified and made easy for more people to participate.

Famer Yinka Adeola is a female farmer in Saki, Ogun State.
https://www.agricinfo.com/2018/11/7-things-you-must-know-before-going-to.html

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by Holumhidey(m): 9:23pm On Nov 17, 2018
not that am feeling proud or anything but MY CUCUMBER is larger than these....

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by ojun50(m): 9:32pm On Nov 17, 2018
Hw can one get the seed

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by PotatoSalad(m): 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2018
Don't even know why I'm laughing lol grin

12 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by wittyt98(m): 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2018
nice.
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by Dannybammz: 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2018
ok
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by TimmyBrass(m): 10:08pm On Nov 17, 2018
Females should be more interested!!!!! grin

3 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by 3rdavefarms(m): 10:08pm On Nov 17, 2018
Great we shall get there

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by Gosj01(m): 10:11pm On Nov 17, 2018
Cucumber??

Make I face my laptops jare!

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by jethro2: 10:12pm On Nov 17, 2018

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by INTEGRITYA1(m): 10:12pm On Nov 17, 2018
Hmmmm, Cucumber !. At the sighting or hearing Cucumber; most especially when ever Isee some people buying Cucumber, I don't always remember other benefits of the wonderful fruit to man kind; except. I didn't say anything oooooooo
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by Anwons(m): 10:13pm On Nov 17, 2018
Very good info.

I'm interested in that number 4, using quality seed. How and where can one really get quality seed?

Anyone with useful info should please check my signature.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by iCauseTrouble: 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2018
See as ladies are rushing this thread. They are looking for another benefit asides the investment benefit

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by SarcasticGenius(m): 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2018
No 8: Your biggest customers will be single women. Don't ask me why.
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by MorataFC: 10:14pm On Nov 17, 2018
Holumhidey:
seeing is believing cheesy
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by MorataFC: 10:17pm On Nov 17, 2018
People should tell us the benefits of eating this cucumber

The thing no sweet just be like water

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by chicoMX(m): 10:17pm On Nov 17, 2018
All this tori for on top cucumber? My aunt and I planted cucumber around August this year and by October they were harvested.

Rainfall/ water and weeding and they will be alright, provided they're pests free grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by sonnie10: 10:19pm On Nov 17, 2018
jethro2:
Please can you correct the name to Yinka Adesola?

And please always take permission before turning peoples copying peoples post to your blog

Yinka Adesola
Aka Jethro2

Except he is making money out of this, there is no need to ask for permission to post on social media.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by AfriSurvey: 10:20pm On Nov 17, 2018
Interesting.
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by WeyreyHunter: 10:21pm On Nov 17, 2018
Holumhidey:
PotatoSalad:
Don't even know why I'm laughing lol grin
TimmyBrass:
Females should be more interested!!!!! grin
INTEGRITYA1:
Hmmmm, Cucumber !. At the sighting or hearing Cucumber; most especially when ever Isee some people buying Cucumber, I don't always remember other benefits of the wonderful fruit to man kind; except. I didn't say anything oooooooo
SarcasticGenius:
No 8: Your biggest customers will be single women. Don't ask me why.
MorataFC:
SingleWahala:
grin....People don dey embrace Farming dis days grin grin grin

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by noble2faith(m): 10:24pm On Nov 17, 2018
brightmac:
Number 8. Keep Igbo girls out of your farm. If you know, then you know.

walahi, u bad like badejo! grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by Josh2x: 10:29pm On Nov 17, 2018
MorataFC:

U want to see ur fellow man's cucumber undecided

15 Likes

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by ZombiePUNISHER: 10:30pm On Nov 17, 2018
Make sure none of your girlfriend is named chidinma okeke
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by SingleWahala(f): 10:32pm On Nov 17, 2018
grin....People don dey embrace Farming dis days grin grin grin

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by tokrizy: 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2018
And you also need to check d % of 9ja girls dat re still using cucumber for self help..

this would help boost and expand ur biz sharply.

thank me later.. pls nobody should quote me I'm a little bit HIGH.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by bizhop01: 10:48pm On Nov 17, 2018
Nairaland ladies must like this, nothing sweet like cucumber
Re: 7 Things You Must Know Before Going To Cucumber Farming by pennywys(m): 10:53pm On Nov 17, 2018
women and their love for cucumber may increase my love for cucumber farming

people like sarrki and others APC cooward who have nothing to offer ladies, their ladies use cucumber instead

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Earn Your First Million From Castors Farming / Obiano Inspects Rice Irrigation At Ogbaru As Anambra Targets 600,000 MT Of Rice / Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.