Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1319673 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 12:22pm On Jun 13, 2018
dzoi, DEIFIED, stevodot22, bimberry1307, oluwaseunliz, surddick, Abiajiga (Guy, which kind play be dat na?), EkopSparoAyara, Shalombrain, eyesofpearls, mackzydon9, donielord, hayjayi, SPDAZZY, honourable365, YINKS89, INDUSTRIALFAN, Cmyname, eitsei, obedugo, Deejay1000, lammy197, SunFlow, ladidacanon, Dhavido, maryamuwane, phoenixchap, useed, paafin, OkekeChristian, kolings, Louisefaye, Ann2012, cenaman, meneski (i still wan know wetin i do you), ManBeast, vhiktorveroon, Opeoluwa99, pgodson7, Kaycee9242, izaray, Psychodavidovic, Pinkfeet, Emzyme, Lorlahlizzy, tsharp, yungkels, SparrowNet, purpleicious, spixytinxy, dopeJemi, WHOcarex, olumose001, xaviercasmir, folarmi, ziloux, Sampadery, butterfly55, TeameeMoses, msylva2147, gabi98, queenitee, MhizSuccess, yehmy, Cadec007, Eberechi24, k9ine, ajiboye68, Praizymicheal, 2lynx, presh654, sheycrown (when did you become a ghost dearie) ...and all others too many to mention. My promised midweek update is here. Enjoy folks.

LOST

Maya curled up on the floor in the corner of the room that had been left for her as she needed to be in bed all day. Her mother would not show her sympathy and let her use the bed. For Mama Tobi, she did not send her any message. She had to live with the consequence of what she did to herself.

“Is that the cake I sent you to go and learn to bake? Fine girl, sexy girl! In the end – pregnancy. Pregnancy Maya! Shebi you wanted preek? See where preek has landed you! Stay there you hear, stay there. I will not leave my bed for you. If you were impregnated by a man, he would have since come and done something to give you small dignity. But you see your life? I love you-I love you. All he did was to fvck you everyday and give you garri to drink. Your mates are fvcking better fvck. Chioma is driving a Porsche now and I am sure that her mother can also boast of a case full of wrappers. But you! You just wasted your beauty. Even if it is that mumu Tecno that said he has made hundreds of millions without going to school that you managed to catch, my life would have changed! I would have stopped roasting myself everyday in the fire to make fufu to feed you. You have the beauty. All you needed to do was to stroll into that place they do their videos and they would chase all those crooked girls away and put you. Maybe the Assurance Davido sang would have had your name! My cousin in Surulere was begging you to come and stay with him so that he could take you round but you refused. Genevieve used to live in this area. We all saw her grow up. She did not go to school but everyday her leg was in Surulere. Now we only see her in magazines drinking champaign in the Bahamas. But you! You stay here dey fvck cheap fvck!”

It was one of those days, Maya thought, as she remained in her rest position. The pregnancy was brutal on her. She had been vomiting every day and kept a small container by her side always. The doctor had told her that if she continued vomiting at that rate that she would need IV to replenish lost fluids sooner rather than later. Hers was not just morning sickness, it was hyperemesis, and it could be her lot for the duration of the pregnancy. Surely God was punishing her for getting pregnant out of wedlock. She had heard of girls that got pregnant and no one knew; even they themselves sometimes did not know until they were due. They continued living their lives and doing all that they wanted to do. Why then was hers like thas? The worst part was that she barely saw Ndifreke anymore. Since her mother spoke to him, he only sent her N4000 and vanished! Maya was not buying the nonsense that it was because of her mother’s threats that he stayed away. People in love did not behave like that. They jumped fences, wore disguises, dodged bullets, even gave up their lives for love. Was that not the story of St Valentine whom the world celebrated till this day? How about Romeo and Juliet - people who allowed their hearts to guide them. But a few words from a poor angry mother and Ndifreke melted with the morning dew, leaving her in both physical and psychological pain, added to the verbal torture her mother subjected her to. What manner of love was that?

She lifted her head and pulled her vomit container closer, opened it and spat inside for the umpteenth time.

Meanwhile, Tobi was standing in the room watching her. She looked up and saw the disdain in his eyes. Her little brother would not get over the fact that she was not meant for him. Maya hissed, turned, and faced the wall.

“Mother is right,” He said. “And that is not all. Your loverboy is sleeping with the new nurse.”

Maya’s heart stopped. She found that she was struggling to breathe all of a sudden. Tobi noticed her distress and rushed to her side and helped her to sit up. She leaned back on the wall and stretched out her legs.

“Get away from here,” she said.

“You don’t believe?”

“I say get out!” Maya screamed and began to cry.

She believed it as soon as Tobi said it. She was just thinking about his evasiveness. Also, she interacted with the nurse and she saw her eyes. Though Josephine was generally nice to her, something always seemed off when Maya looked at her deeply. It did not help that she was always in a hurry to look away. She may not be very experienced in those matters, but she got a kick in her gut the first time she spoke with the nurse, something she chose to ignore at the time. She was yet to meet a woman that was nice to her since her pregnancy became obvious. The older ones said the same things her mother said but with less venom. The younger ones laughed at her and called her foolish. So when she first spoke with the nurse and found her fawning and showing understanding and willingness to help and then she followed her to the hospital and saw the way the same nurse spoke to the other patients, she thought something was not quite right. Josephine was not a nice person from what she saw of her at work, and therefore had no reason to be so nice to her unless she had an ulterior motive. Maya now concluded that Josephine had been mocking her. She used what she knew of her to get her man.

“It is Lukman whom everyone knows worships Ndifreke that told me. He said his conscience would not let him be, knowing that you are a good girl who is now suffering because of him. They used to meet in her room but because it is on this floor, they have now moved to his room.”

“Leave me alone Tobi.”

“They are in his room now. They have been making love since she came back from work.”

Maya’s face immediately turned to ash. She remembered the breathing exercises they were taught at antenatal and gathered all her strength to continue to draw air into her lungs. Feeling a bit calm, she tried to get up. Tobi rushed to her side and helped her to her feet. She was wearing a booboo gown her mother had thrown at her on her eighteenth birthday, the same day her mother told her she was pregnant. Her mum called it her birthday gift. Though given to her in scorn, it was comfortable and she was able to function in it.

The floor spun as she took one step after the other towards the staircase with Tobi in tow. But there was no stopping her. Getting to the top of the stairs a wave of vertigo caused her to stagger as she extended a leg to start the climb down, then suddenly everything went black.

The last thing she remembered was Tobi shouting “Maya, no!”

“Maya lost the baby.”

“I know.”

“Disappointing.”

“It is. I told you I was having a bad feeling. She had been so frail.”

“Why was that? She looked a healthy young woman to me.”

“She’s a healthy young woman. You can never tell with pregnancy. The next one might come and she will be able to run a marathon with it. Or it could be that she is one of the unfortunate ones who don’t take well to pregnancy.”

“What do we do now?”

“Nothing. The pregnancy is gone.”

“So what happens to your sister’s soul?”

“She will continue to roam till she finds an opportunity to incarnate. She will not be the only wondering soul with no body to occupy. Look up.”

He looked up and saw hundreds of souls in translucent bodies around the compound and on the street, walking up and down, entering and exiting rooms, stalls and everywhere.

“They are always around day and night just looking for how to return to the earth. They cannot be seen with the n*ked eyes. They are harmless. They cannot touch a person standing on solid ground. And yet many alive do not know how fortunate they are. Small thing they will go and jump into the lagoon. Yet these are souls looking for ways to incarnate but can’t. My sister is very disappointed.”

“Why is it so difficult for them to return?”

“Mainly because of the way they died. Many only realize when they are dead that life continues. And if they never believed in reincarnation, they just roam. Those who believed find a way to come back quickly because they can position themselves well. Those who burned their bridges through suicide or murder suffer even more. Best place to be is the earth I tell you. They realize too late.”

“Will your sister have another chance?”

“Yes she will. Only it may take time. Some of the souls you see there have been roaming for centuries.”

“Will we roam like that when we die?”

“I do not want to come back, so I am burning my bridges now. When I pass on, I know I’m going to the nether regions and won’t even put myself in contention to return. You decide what you want for yourself.”

“Where you go I go.”

“Easy to say now. There is plenty life ahead for you. And I still feel you may be delivered at any time.”

“I won’t.”

“We’ll see about that.”

“So where is your sister now?”

“She decided to leave this area for some time to recover from the disappointment.”

“But can’t Maya get pregnant soon again?”

“She can, but we don’t know how things will be with her and Ndifreke. And she may be careful next time. The pregnancy was too punishing.”

“How about the nurse? Have you not noticed how she and Ndifreke look at each other?”

“She will get him. But she is a nurse. They are too wise. They know what to take before they meet a man, when they are meeting a man and when they finish meeting a man. If a nurse gets pregnant, it is because she wants to. That is why in those days we did not allow our children to marry nurses.”

“So they will soon become an item but she won’t get pregnant?”

“She is working to land him in a way that he will not be able to get away from her. But I’m not sure she will be carrying his baby soon after.”

“But Cosmas has been teaching him things. He should be able to avoid her and just impregnate Maya again for us.”

“He is too weak to be able to follow the way Cosmas teaches. What do you think we have been doing to him all this while?”

“He loves Maya. Love is supposed to conquer all, right?”

“Poverty frustrates love. Never forget that. When you are poor, you cannot control anything. You cannot even control your erections.”

“Hmm, okay how about we make him and the nurse not to take precaution like we did to Maya?”

“There’s still a long way to go before we get to that point. Even if they start having sex, we will not be able to influence her so easily. It was easy with Maya because amonst other things Maya was naïve. Not this nurse.”

“I see. Okay why don’t we just put your sister in Linda Ikeji’s womb?”

“Are you mocking me now?”

“Nope. You yourself said that it is easy now that they put their pregnancy pictures everywhere. I saw Linda’s pregnancy picture in the paper Wasiu was carrying. She took the pictures to prove that Kemi woman wrong.”

“You are right. She was foolish to have done that. But she is way beyond our league. It will not benefit us. She is rich and well connected. If she suspects anything, she knows people that will just contact one baba in Ijebu Ode and they will rat us out easily. I am not ready to be paraded n*ked on the streets.”

“Me too.”

“Who will look at you? Anyway, it is easier to torment poor people. Even when they know, they just want to get money and go and rent a flat in Ikeja and forget everything about us. We will just turn our attention on another. But rich people, they don’t have tolerance at all.”

“I see. I will remember that.”

“Better do.”

“So what is the way forward now?”

“We turn our attention to Irikefe. Tomorrow we travel to the village.”

TO BE CONTINUED

36 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by precidope(m): 12:38pm On Jun 13, 2018
First to see yay

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 13, 2018
Chai no retreat no surrender for mama akunna nice one boss

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Sent4rina: 12:53pm On Jun 13, 2018
spixytinxy:
hmmm longest time, Rukkyola husband
If you know, you know.
I sight you o. How are you doing?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Samsimple(m): 12:53pm On Jun 13, 2018
Oga centino i salute u oohh.. Feed me more

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by dimssy(m): 1:42pm On Jun 13, 2018
Centino manh...

You just dope gan ni..

Abeg pity that boy make he get job na

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Louisefaye(f): 2:13pm On Jun 13, 2018
I think it's good maya lost the baby. Hmm Irikefe they are coming for you oh. Centino thank you kiss

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by cenaman(m): 2:52pm On Jun 13, 2018
centino thanks for keeping ur promise.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by pgodson7(m): 2:53pm On Jun 13, 2018
epic

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Damian077: 3:43pm On Jun 13, 2018
Urban witches going to synchronize with village witches hu!

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by dopeJemi: 3:53pm On Jun 13, 2018
Thank you Centino

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by hotswagg12: 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2018
Thanks for the update man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Chichaope: 7:11pm On Jun 13, 2018
I started reading this morning and I must say that I'm intrigued..... Nice work man

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Ann2012(f): 9:00pm On Jun 13, 2018
Thanks Centimo, you too much

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by koligns: 9:39pm On Jun 13, 2018
Thanks bro... We dey follow you everyday like mama akunma

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by xtanlee(m): 10:10pm On Jun 13, 2018
c is for centino

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by maryamuwane: 10:25pm On Jun 13, 2018
yayyy thanks so much Centino, you made my day

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by OkekeChristian(m): 10:28pm On Jun 13, 2018
Chai! grin Yewaa!

Na like this e suppose be! One dose for morning, one for afternoon.
Thanks, Centino. For the story, for the mention.

Centino:

“Poverty frustrates love. Never forget that. When you are poor, you cannot control anything. You cannot even control your erections.

No wonder Ndifreke couldn't control it! grin cheesy
Men, I must make money. Because I don't like the way I'm looking at this Louisefaye picture.

Nobody should quarrel me, I just want to quote somebody! tongue

3 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by reyadbd(m): 10:41pm On Jun 13, 2018
Find great Room, Roommate, Apartment and List your ad here without any cost: https://perfecthousing.wixsite.com/getroom
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Nuellaluv(f): 2:14am On Jun 14, 2018
Las Las centino you are the boss.I love the way you write your stories with all the happenings around. May your well of knowledge never go dry. Ghost mood deactivated. Mention me in your next update biko

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by queenitee(f): 7:53am On Jun 14, 2018
Hahaha, Hilarious

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by explosive04(m): 9:06am On Jun 14, 2018
I cnt stop laughing...finally ghost mode diactivated

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by labelle123(f): 10:02am On Jun 14, 2018
super!!! thanks for the update you have made my day. Village people coming after irikefe please show him little mercy

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by izaray(f): 10:14am On Jun 14, 2018
Thanks op, more ink to ur biro

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by stevodot22(m): 10:22am On Jun 14, 2018
Mama Akunna should leave Maya alone, haba! She just lost her unborn child and dey are planning another evil. I beg make dem go beak. Tanx for the update and mention.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eyesofpearls(f): 11:08am On Jun 14, 2018
Boss Centino! You too much! Super update! You never disappoint! Always interesting! Thanks man!

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by yehmy(m): 11:14am On Jun 14, 2018
eyesofpearls:
Boss Centino! You too much! Super update! You never disappoint! Always interesting! Thanks man!
your digit
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by sheycrown(f): 12:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
[quote author=Centino post=68441665]dzoi, DEIFIED, stevodot22, bimberry1307, oluwaseunliz, surddick, Abiajiga (Guy, which kind play be dat na?), EkopSparoAyara, Shalombrain, eyesofpearls, mackzydon9, donielord, hayjayi, SPDAZZY, honourable365, YINKS89, INDUSTRIALFAN, Cmyname, eitsei, obedugo, Deejay1000, lammy197, SunFlow, ladidacanon, Dhavido, maryamuwane, phoenixchap, useed, paafin, OkekeChristian, kolings, Louisefaye, Ann2012, cenaman, meneski (i still wan know wetin i do you), ManBeast, vhiktorveroon, Opeoluwa99, pgodson7, Kaycee9242, izaray, Psychodavidovic, Pinkfeet, Emzyme, Lorlahlizzy, tsharp, yungkels, SparrowNet, purpleicious, spixytinxy, dopeJemi, WHOcarex, olumose001, xaviercasmir, folarmi, ziloux, Sampadery, butterfly55, TeameeMoses, msylva2147, gabi98, queenitee, MhizSuccess, yehmy, Cadec007, Eberechi24, k9ine, ajiboye68, Praizymicheal, 2lynx, presh654, sheycrown (when did you become a ghost dearie) ...

Centino, I dey here o, I'm observing from the back seat ni jere.....thanks for this mid week update dear.....
Ndifreke should not fall for that Nurse o abeg. Find a way to bring him back with Maya & he should get a job jere haba!

2 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by mikkyjagga1(m): 12:32pm On Jun 14, 2018
Nice job bro...been reading 2 days almost non stop and to think that all this came from your imagination I must say that you are a talented writer!
It will make a good screen play also!
Keep it up!

1 Like 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.