Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,783 members, 7,844,541 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Land Or Car...which Is More Important? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Land Or Car...which Is More Important? (18122 Views)

With 400k You Can Secure A Plot Of Land Or 1.5m Out Right. Location: ARAGA LUCUR / Guide On How To Buy Property [land Or House] In Nigeria / Ensure You Do These.....Before embarking on that Land or House deal in Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Sagay212: 11:02am On Jul 02, 2017
i think it's better to get a land first. You can get a very cheap land and ensure you just fence it. don't bother trying to say you want to save money to build the house. it will be a bit tough. let the land just be their and make sure you monitor it from time to time. Then you can save money up to buy a car. If you buy the car before the land, it will take a long time for you to save up money for a land because the car will be taking a lot of unexpected expenses from you. You might have a situation where you have saved some reasonable amount of money to acquire a land after buying a car and then some funny issues just keep coming up with the car like every two or three months and you have to spend about 70 or 80k to fix it. This will affect your savings for the land. but all depends on how much you earn or make monthly. If you earn enough money monthly say 500k above, you don't need to be thinking about which one o get first.

2 Likes

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Jobyruz(m): 11:15am On Jul 02, 2017
Building a house is a long term process especially if you are a low income earner better go for car..its a very useful instrument for you and your family for now

1 Like

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by talk2bity: 11:39am On Jul 02, 2017
It all depends on u.i'll go for land
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by zinaunreal(m): 11:41am On Jul 02, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
people who are shouting land up and down probably know nothing about investment, except you own a land already, Buying a land in Nigeria and hoping for accidental development to shoot property prices is a risky gamble with odds that are not as great as they used to be. Buy a reliable car at sensible cost and look for other ways you can invest your cash ; there are mutual funds, T.Bills and Bonds for conservative investors, then there's the stock market(global, not naija ooh), leveraged markets, futures and ETF, for the wild child. Don't buy a land hoping to cash out, the recession is biting hard, and inflation coupled with currency value may put your PE at 2 decades or more, that is if Nigeria even gets better.
cc- Praxisnetworks
you have made common sense
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by bamicity(m): 11:41am On Jul 02, 2017
Land Noni
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 02, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Na wa,

A car is more important, nobody ordinarily will give you one if you can't afford it.

But even if you don't have a land or can't afford one; there'd always be land to bury you in

Truth, A car can connect you... Fb
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Soulsymbol99: 11:42am On Jul 02, 2017
haibe:

You would have spent money on transportation anyway, whether you bought a car or not. So consider this portion a commitment cost and therefore an irrelevant cost in determining whether or not buying the car is worthwhile.

There are several benefits of owning your car that you cannot quantify.. If you had to catch up with public transport everyday you may have lost your job or business by now or they may just be ineffective due to poor timeliness. U may be robbed easily of your valuables because u dont have a car, rain may frustrate you.... Just think broadly about advantages and disadvantages before drawing your conclusion.

U make a valid point cheesy
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Soulsymbol99: 11:47am On Jul 02, 2017
AntiWailer:

So without the car u won't spend 1 naira moving around and the 45million go dey ur account ?

You did not calculate how many times you for don enter 1 chance during those times ?

Also you need to replace your calculator. Where u see 45 million ? No wonder you were in shock.

Ur calculation should be less than 4million.

1500 * 365 * 7 = 3,832,500.

Recalculate for the value of land too

Never really been a fan of maths smiley bt I feel better nw grin
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Prece(m): 12:10pm On Jul 02, 2017
Mathematically and logically speaking,Land is better than a car,car can develop fault at anytime.Land will appreciate,land don't develop fault.So it is advisable you get a land.
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by chloride6: 12:13pm On Jul 02, 2017
HRH4REAL:
Guy buy land..forget dis lagos life of car first to show off. Land will do u more good. U can buy car anytime.

I missed buying a land somewhere in lagos for about 2M, now few available land dia go for about 8-10M.

Imagine if I bought one plot then and sold half plot now I will buy dat same car, even better grade.

Telling u from experience....Times are hard. Use ur head because u will see many Tins here on NL.

Where is the place abeg?
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by diggz: 12:29pm On Jul 02, 2017
praxisnetworks:

Kia? No. I have opportunity for either an A4 or a Sienna... Or previa all in topgrade situations.

Oga pls collect sienna.
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by hokafor(m): 12:32pm On Jul 02, 2017
It depends on the situation. U don't expect me to be uncomfortable just because U want to own a land. Don't get it twisted, I have enough land, but i had a car before the lands.

1 Like

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by fynex(m): 12:34pm On Jul 02, 2017
praxisnetworks:
Advices are needed... Egunmogaji.. and co
Land.....it appreciates with time and you can get more for it if you build on it for rent or even decide to sell it later...its an asset....you can end up buying a car later from this

Car....depreciates with time loses value,its a liability....
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Sylva2147: 12:35pm On Jul 02, 2017
I think getting a car will be far better because to me car is a necessity, but you can get your own land when ever you are balance financially. I have a friend whom we were opportune to make some money in 2008 and he used his money to buy a land while I used mine to buy a car and all the while he is the one disturbing me for assistance with my car, may his soul rest in peace he did not even live to build anything on the so called land. I can rent an apartment for twenty years and the house will be addressed as my house while I go about my normal activities pending when I will be buoyant enough to get a land and start building my own house. my opinion though.

3 Likes

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 02, 2017
originally:
I was in situation like this last year.I bought a land,this year I'm planning for a car

An astute decision. Well done.
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by praxisnetworks: 12:51pm On Jul 02, 2017
diggz:

Oga pls collect sienna.
Why Audi has better economy.... Previa strongest...but guzzler 18mpg
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by praxisnetworks: 12:56pm On Jul 02, 2017
Sylva2147:
I think getting a car will be far better because to me car is a necessity, but you can get your own land when ever you are balance financially. I have a friend whom we were opportune to make some money in 2008 and he used his money to buy a land while I used mine to buy a car and all the while he is the one disturbing me for assistance with my car, may his soul rest in peace he did not even live to build anything on the so called land. I can rent an apartment for twenty years and the house will be addressed as my house while I go about my normal activities pending when I will be buoyant enough to get a land and start building my own house. my opinion though.
Succinct
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by Dereformer(m): 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2017
Op, the decision will depend on your circumstance.

Let me tell you a little about me. Before I got married, I had a sum of money that can either get me a plot of land in the village or a car.

Remember, my father never built in the village before his death. We stay in an uncle's house when ever we come home for Xmas and we were never comfortable there.

I decided to acquire a plot of land in my village.

After the land, I got married. About 2 years after my wedding, I bought a car.

You will know the importance of owning a car when your wife go into labour midnight.

Today, I have almost completed my 4 bedroom bungalow in the village and my family now have a house to call their home.

Car is good. Land is good. All depends on your circumstance now.

3 Likes

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by AXYZ: 1:52pm On Jul 02, 2017
praxisnetworks:

A million for the previa
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by speedyconnect3: 1:57pm On Jul 02, 2017
bigtt76:
I spend 600 naira daily on transportation to work. This translates to N3000 per week or N12000 per month. A car owner would spend more on fuel and wear and tear due to the traffic situation in Lagos for example.

Getting a car would only increase my financial stress but may come handy in other aspect if I'm a business person (deliveries etc). I would get a car if it helps my business and is not a luxurious one.

On the other hand, I rent a self contained apartment for 350k a year, getting a land would set me back financially at least N900k. How do I start building and the rest if I'm a salary earner? Agreed the value appreciates but when it appreciates and no buyer, it becomes a locked down asset. Mind you you still have to pay ground rents and live in fear of it not revoked or sold without your knowledge or permission.

My take here is go with your current situation and see which pays you most.

350k on a studio flat and still pay 600 to work? What could be the distance?
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by bigtt76(f): 2:20pm On Jul 02, 2017
Location is at Ajah and I work in Lekki Phase one. The N600 transport fare is to and from work.

speedyconnect3:

350k on a studio flat and still pay 600 to work? What could be the distance?
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by sheylarhh(m): 3:13pm On Jul 02, 2017
One is an asset while other is a liability...so choose wisely
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by praxisnetworks: 3:14pm On Jul 02, 2017
sheylarhh:
One is an asset while other is a liability...so choose wisely
Both can be assets. Depending on your needs.
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by olatade(m): 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2017
a land is an asset while a car is a liability
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by damzy88: 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2017
Femsyn:
People screaming land up and down are not wrong, because that is what economics and their fore fathers taught them irrespective of the situation.

Let me tell you.. If you don't have enough money to at least buy a land and raise to window level immediately, I say you put your money elsewhere. Cos, you don't want to see a full plot reduced to a half plot, or relocated elsewhere, because people with common sense and more money have re-bought your land.

If you run a business that thrives on standard or contracts, get a car first. If you have a family, get a car.

A car is as important as land, if you can afford both, then get both. That's the best advice I can give you. But overall, it all depends on what's more pressing.

Get this out of your mind, getting a car is not of less importance than land. Get that straight first.
Please I have a Nigerian Breweries workforce test coming up. Kindly provide me with tips. Thanks
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by joinnow: 5:45pm On Jul 02, 2017
Buy half plot and half car grin
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by praxisnetworks: 5:58pm On Jul 02, 2017
joinnow:
Buy half plot and half car grin

1 Like

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by joinnow: 6:27pm On Jul 02, 2017
[quote author=praxisnetworks post=58054754][/quote]

Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by speedyconnect3: 11:00pm On Jul 02, 2017
bigtt76:
Location is at Ajah and I work in Lekki Phase one. The N600 transport fare is to and from work.

Ok
Re: Land Or Car...which Is More Important? by sp2002(m): 11:17pm On Jul 05, 2017
swap car for land. call me on 08137775986

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Ranked World’s Third Unaffordable City For Renters / An Apartment On Fire In CBN Estate 2, Alakija / Fire Destroys House In Oke-Ira, Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.