Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,084 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? (1137 Views)

At What Age Should An Adult Leave Their Parents’ House? / Nigerian Boy Pranks His Parents With A Fake Snake(Hilarious Video) / Parents With 2 or More Boys How Do You Cope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by lifezone247(m): 11:19am On Jul 02, 2017
I was at a friends house last week and his 2yers old daughter (Zara) was calling him by name (Saheed) and the mother (Adun). I actually have a grown up male friend (about 30 years old or more) whom he and his other siblings called their father daddy but called the mother as Iya Kemi. (Kemi) being his immediate elder sisters name.
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by SUPERPACK: 11:32am On Jul 02, 2017
in nigeria NO
in europe or america YES
The nigeria norms and value system makes it disrespectful to call elders by their name, allowing your children to go against this value system will make them appear mannerless and repulsive in their immediate society.
The child might repeat same outside and be scolded.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by shevon: 11:37am On Jul 02, 2017
To each his own. My kid calls me and my wife by our names and also calls us daddy and mummy more often than not. I think this whole "don't call me by my name" thing is because of the way our parents viewed it. I don't expect you to accept it as normal but to me, I think it's cool that 'my child' calls me by my name.
The good thing about it is that he doesn't call outsides by their name, he always uses aunty this or uncle that, despite knowing fully well they are not family. He's never called an any outside by their name.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by Larryfest(m): 11:50am On Jul 02, 2017
This is not Yankee na even over there they only do that when they are upset or maybe not close to their parents.... Here in this part of the world we don't do that cos it shows no sign of respect,imagine ur friends start calling ur parents by their names too just becos they know you do that too how would you feel

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by lifezone247(m): 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2017
Larryfest:
This is not Yankee na even over there they only do that when they are upset or maybe not close to their parents.... Here in this part of the world we don't do that cos it shows no sign of respect,imagine ur friends start calling ur parents by their names too just becos they know you do that too how would you feel
true talk.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 02, 2017
Kids are what they are _kids. Without a care in the world.

They learn more by observing ; seeing and hearing. If you keep calling your husband or wife a goat, don't be surprised they will call him/her a goat too. In their innocent state, they don't know any better. Calling you by your name is cool to them, after all _that's what they hear everyone call you. Why shouldn't they call you same?

As they grow older, they become objective/aware _ and drop it. Other times, they are taught to use titles. I have never seen a child in secondary school (in Nigeria) calling their parents by their names, though some of them did it as toddlers.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by Nobody: 3:28am On Jul 03, 2017
No, it's wrong.
In Nigeria, it's an abomination.
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by ImaIma1(f): 12:21pm On Jul 03, 2017
Children are impressionable. They pick up things. If you call each other by name, the child might do same. But as the child grows, it changes.
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by MizAijay(f): 1:07pm On Jul 03, 2017
ImaIma1:
Children are impressionable. They pick up things. If you call each other by name, the child might do same. But as the child grows, it changes.

That's true. I know a child that calls her dad 'honey' just because she heard her mom call him that. She will definitely outgrow it with time.
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 03, 2017
SUPERPACK:
in nigeria NO
in europe or america YES
The nigeria norms and value system makes it an disrespectful to call elders by their name, allowing your children to go against this value system will make them appear mannerless and repulsive in their immediate society.
The child might repeat same outside and be scolded.

In Europe --> yes?

Which kind of Europe are you living in?
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by Martin0(m): 4:03pm On Jul 03, 2017
lovelygurl:

In Europe --> yes?

chineka ok,Do they have countries in Europe?where is is prohibited
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by SUPERPACK: 6:33pm On Jul 03, 2017
lovelygurl:

In Europe --> yes?

Get your map and check.
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 03, 2017
SUPERPACK:
Get your map and check.

My point is what you are saying is wrong undecided

None of my friends call their parents by name. They call OTHER peoples' parents by name because they insist.

But THEIR OWN PARENTS? Hell no!
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by SUPERPACK: 7:31pm On Jul 03, 2017
lovelygurl:

My point is what you are saying is wrong undecided

None of my friends call their parents by name. They call OTHER peoples' parents by name because they insist.

But THEIR OWN PARENTS? Hell no!
ok, now i understand.
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by unqombothi(f): 7:58pm On Jul 03, 2017
Those saying it's wrong have a duty to tell us what is wrong about it. Africans need to loosen up!
Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by omobabalawo: 9:54pm On Jul 03, 2017
TAIWO:Calls parent by name
Yoruba ancestors:

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For Children To Called Their Parents With Their Names? by joyAA(f): 7:54am On Jul 04, 2017
Deseo:
No, it's wrong.
In Nigeria, it's an abomination.

(1) (Reply)

NLANDERS HELP!!!....A BROTHER IS AT A CROSSROAD. / 7 Ways You Can Injure Your Wife Without Knowing It / Someone Needs Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.