Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,936 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) (17515 Views)

Haruna Sanusi Resigns After Ganduje’s Installation Of New Emirates Heads In Kano / Chinese Man, Mike Zhang Crowned A Chief In Kano, Nigerians React (video) / Man Who Visited Emir Sanusi’s Library In Kano Is Shocked (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Rokaa(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2017
Langa is a traditional Hausa sport where two teams come together to play. It's a hopping game of standing/walking/running with one leg while holding the other leg with the opposite hand(Lago). This game is usually played by children under the age of 15.

Before the game starts both teams will select a prime player(Ruwa) whose teammates will protect at all cost to enable him win by reaching the other team's post.

When the game begins, the teams will struggle to eliminate their opponents by dislodging their Lago, when a team succeeded in disentangling the other team's Ruwa, it's a win added to their score.

On sunday 2nd july 2017 the people of Makera Ja'en ward in Gwale local govt and Zawaciki ward of Kumbotso local govt both in Kano state organized a Langa match between their youths, choosing 6 players per team. Other excited youths that wanted to participate also form their teams and wait for their turn to play.

While they play, the elderly, other youths, children and women watch and cheer them concurrently reminiscing on nostalgic memories.

http://www.arewaonline.com/36/two-local-governments-in-kano

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Rokaa(m): 2:39pm On Jul 03, 2017
More.

Fulaman198 vedaxcool friendng blue3k kyase xstry

1 Like

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Kyase(m): 2:42pm On Jul 03, 2017
Rokaa:
More.

Fulaman198 vedaxcool friendng blue3k kyase xstry

not in kano now.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Blue3k(m): 2:44pm On Jul 03, 2017
Interesting game it reminds me of Dr dodge ball.

1 Like

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Young03(m): 2:52pm On Jul 03, 2017
Langa match with trousers

well na local.people self

BEnin electricity distribution company
abeg give us light
my ba3 is now 1%

5 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Jostico: 2:54pm On Jul 03, 2017
Just peace. if we keep the peace and unity, 9ja could make this game around the world.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Rokaa(m): 3:04pm On Jul 03, 2017
Blue3k:
Interesting game it reminds me of Dr dodge ball.

There's a traditional dodgeball here called "Labo". If you allow the ball touch you, the players will use their already rolled shirts and beat you till you run to the safety post.

Almost all the players cry before the game ends

8 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Blue3k(m): 3:07pm On Jul 03, 2017
Rokaa:

There's a traditional dodgeball here called "Labo". If you allow the ball touch you, the players will use their already rolled shirts and beat you till you run to the safety post.

Almost all the players cry before the game ends

You guys are extreme but it sounds fun. I need to visit Kano at some point.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Rokaa(m): 3:20pm On Jul 03, 2017
Jostico:
Just peace. if we keep the peace and unity, 9ja could make this game around the world.

It motivates people to unleash their inner kangaroo. Freely hopping and running. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 4:14pm On Jul 03, 2017
cool but Hausa people too dey worwor lipsrsealed
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by ekensi01: 4:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
cheesy

go play today remaining games No time. Check my sign
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by hilroy: 4:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
Tradition and culture

Watch people with no heritage or history come on this thread and insult them. I guess you all know the region I'm talking about

14 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by davidodiba(m): 4:16pm On Jul 03, 2017
K.... Wat else?
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Caustics: 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2017
better than killing each other cool
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Tobium1(m): 4:19pm On Jul 03, 2017
What are they playing?
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Zulu212: 4:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
Better than throwing bombs and causing confusion in he entire North

1 Like

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Codes151(m): 4:22pm On Jul 03, 2017
Only thing that unites Kano
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Rokaa(m): 4:24pm On Jul 03, 2017
Blue3k:

You guys are extreme but it sounds fun. I need to visit Kano at some point.

The bullies usually initiate the idea to play the game. Most times they have who to descend on in mind even before the game starts.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by okoliexpress: 4:25pm On Jul 03, 2017
Whuna:
Just see wetin Buhari don cause
guy free our president undecided grin grin grin
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by aminho(m): 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2017
Rokaa:
Langa is a traditional Hausa sport where two teams come together to play. It's a hopping game of standing/walking/running with one leg while holding the other leg with the opposite hand(Lago). This game is usually played by children under the age of 15.

Before the game starts both teams will select a prime player(Ruwa) whose teammates will protect at all cost to enable him win by reaching the other team's post.

When the game begins, the teams will struggle to eliminate their opponents by dislodging their Lago, when a team succeeded in disentangling the other team's Ruwa, it's a win added to their score.

On sunday 2nd july 2017 the people of Makera Ja'en ward in Gwale local govt and Zawaciki ward of Kumbotso local govt both in Kano state organized a Langa match between their youths, choosing 6 players per team. Other excited youths that wanted to participate also form their teams and wait for their turn to play.

While they play, the elderly, other youths, children and women watch and cheer them concurrently reminiscing on nostalgic memories.

http://www.arewaonline.com/36/two-local-governments-in-kano

Allah sarki duniya jiya ba yau na

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by SageTravels: 4:31pm On Jul 03, 2017
Nice one
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by EazyMoh(m): 4:32pm On Jul 03, 2017
Ruwa ta sha!
Lol I remember this game, I used to make a very formidable "ruwa" due to my small size when I was a kid. Those older, bigger and stronger than us will form the defense at the front and I'd be the quarter back. Taking the slightest chance I'd dash swiftly to the goal.
It's quiet dangerous though. I remember getting caught between two strong opponents. It wasn't funny!

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 03, 2017
hilroy:
Tradition and culture

Watch people with no heritage or history come on this thread and insult them. I guess you all know the region I'm talking about

Trouble dey sleep, yanga dey wake am. You won't leave them and enjoy your thread. You won't avoid them and focus on your match. Stop spreading faeces if you don't want to attract flies.

Ukpana Okpoko gburu, nti chiri ya (A fly that the woodpecker kills, is truely deaf)

Let me leave it at that.

3 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by anyebedgreat: 4:42pm On Jul 03, 2017
Interesting
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by EazyMoh(m): 4:42pm On Jul 03, 2017
Oluwamuyeewa:
cool but Hausa people too dey worwor lipsrsealed
Says a Yoruba man! Hahahahaahhahahah

1 Like

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by highchief3(m): 4:46pm On Jul 03, 2017
I use to play this game as a kid. I was a champion, I was the ruwa (the last man) this was before metasine uprising that drove us out of the north.

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 03, 2017
nah them ..them dey learn how to fight and killll innocent civilians in the north even with one leg if the other leg is amputated.. They have successful invent a tactics that this crippled and one hand almajiris fit use kill civilian weey dey waka for road.. The guy in the pic pointing nah them invigilator wey dey pinpoint the good to go terro for action
Re: Traditional Langa Match Organized In Kano By Two Local Governments (Photos) by Rokaa(m): 4:50pm On Jul 03, 2017
aminho:

Allah sarki duniya jiya ba yau na

Su aminho an girma grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Full List Of Past Olubadans / Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.