Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,697 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms (883 Views)

The Twenty-four Kingdoms Of Urhobo Nation. / Trio Kingdoms Of Ijebu Owo And Bini / The History Of Africa: African Kingdoms From -5000 BC To 2016 (infography) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by Markfemi2: 7:52am On Jul 07, 2017
Special shout out to my oyo Yorubas who spread the influence of Yoruba beyond any other group we are proud of you

frican Atlantis and the Wonders of the Ife Sculptures

Around the late 19th and early 20th centuries, most academia in history, archaeology, and anthropology tended to look upon Africa as an unimportant backwater, inhabited by simple savages who have never been able to achieve any measure of advanced civilization. In the late 19th century the German archaeologist Leo Frebonius discovered the first of a large series of cast metal sculptures in what is now modern day Ife, Nigeria. Often called “bronze sculptures”, the pieces are actually made from a copper/zinc/lead alloy that is closer to brass than bronze, demonstrating that the people who made these sculptures obviously had very advanced knowledge and skills in metallurgy. What was most incredible was the precise attention to detail each of the works displayed, giving the sculptures an almost lifelike appearance. Such detail reminded Frebonius of sculptures originating from Ancient Greece and Rome. Thus, it was then that Frebonius jumped to an incredible conclusion. From his point of view the sculptures could not have been made by the local people, who he believed obviously could have never built a civilization capable of such works. Frebonius himself once remarked,

“I was moved to silent melancholy at the thought that this assembly of degenerate and feeble-minded posterity should be the legitimate guardians of so much loveliness”

So he theorized that the sculptures were Greek in origin, produced by Greek artisans who lived in a long lost Greek colony. Then Frebonius went once step further by proposing that an ancient white civilization had once dominated Africa long before settlement by non-white peoples. This theory was called the “African Atlantis”, which proposed that an advanced white civilization once dominated Africa, and that traditional African civilization was merely a residue of that older, lost civilization. The African Atlantis theory became an extremely popular theory, upheld by historians and academics throughout Europe and North America. Further discoveries of other artifacts and relics of African civilization were likewise excused away, being cited as remnants of the lost African Atlantis

Of course today such a theory has been debunked a racist humbuggery, and modern scholars conclusively prove that the African Atlantis never existed. The true artists behind the Ife sculptures were an advanced civilization called the Yoruba people, who managed a powerful empire which existed between the 12th and 17th centuries. Similar pieces demonstrating equal or more sophisticated technology have been discovered all over West Africa, crafted by various different cultures.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by seunny4lif(m): 8:11am On Jul 07, 2017
The great OYO empire cool cool cool
Just love the Yoruba Empire

1 Like

Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by Iykmann(m): 8:27am On Jul 07, 2017
Please tell us about ilorin empire
Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by Markfemi2: 9:01am On Jul 07, 2017
Iykmann:
Please tell us about ilorin empire

There's nothing like ilorin empire it was a town under oyo that broke out and afonja and Yorubas paid for it dearly
Abeg mention one igbo empire or achievements lol

1 Like

Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by WuraAtiFadaka(m): 9:04am On Jul 07, 2017
Markfemi2:

There's nothing like ilorin empire it was a town under oyo that broke out and afonja and Yorubas paid for it dearly
Abeg mention one igbo empire or achievements lol

They had Osu and Palm fruit empire, based at Umuakpu

Hhahaha grin

1 Like

Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2017
Racist whites
Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 07, 2017
I don't know if you guys realized this but that map was made with a computer. Therefor that map was made after the creation of computers, therefor not in 1780. Conclusion: the map is fake !
There was never any oyo empire, there was a small oyo kindom which got partially overran by the fulani.
The only empire in the south was the Benin empire. There are actual pre-colonial maps of the Benin empire.
I urge the 419 guys to stop producing fakes, I really don't see the point ! frica is becoming the laughing stock of the world because you guys take great pleasure in trashing you history rather than cherishing it.

1 Like

Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by geosegun(m): 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2017
I don't know if you guys realized this but that map was made with a computer. Therefor that map was made after the creation of computers, therefor not in 1780. Conclusion: the map is fake !
There was never any oyo empire, there was a small oyo kindom which got partially overran by the fulani.
The only empire in the south was the Benin empire. There are actual pre-colonial maps of the Benin empire.
I urge the 419 guys to stop producing fakes, I really don't see the point ! frica is becoming the laughing stock of the world because you guys take great pleasure in trashing you history rather than cherishing it.

@Nobody; are you not ashamed of twisting facts and histories? Why did you guys have such bitterness and deflated ego, that its so much difficult to accept the truth and move on?

Right from earlier period there have been general acceptance and popularity of the Oyo Empire and ofcourse there is the Benin Kingdom. The Benin Kingdom became relevant due to the civil wars among the Yorubas hence the decline in influence of the Oyo Empire.

Please stop twisting facts and histories for posterity's sake. We know the truth, we may choose to ignore these rants by ethnic bigots and revisionists. Do not join the bandwagon because you are looking for traffic.

I used to think you have scholarstic spirit but alas! I was wrong or would rather say dissapointed that you will stoop so low to join kids and envious history illerates to peddle lies? common!!!

Shior....

2 Likes

Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by Markfemi2: 6:23pm On Jul 08, 2017
geosegun:

@Nobody; are you not ashamed of twisting facts and histories? Why did you guys have such bitterness and deflated ego, that its so much difficult to accept the truth and move on?

Right from earlier period there have been general acceptance and popularity of the Oyo Empire and ofcourse there is the Benin Kingdom. The Benin Kingdom became relevant due to the civil wars among the Yorubas hence the decline in influence of the Oyo Empire.

Please stop twisting facts and histories for posterity's sake. We know the truth, we may choose to ignore these rants by ethnic bigots and revisionists. Do not join the bandwagon because you are looking for traffic.

I used to think you have scholarstic spirit but alas! I was wrong or would rather say dissapointed that you will stoop so low to join kids and envious history illerates to peddle lies? common!!!

Shior....

Igbo pained cause they have no empire till date
Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by Markfemi2: 6:23pm On Jul 08, 2017
Awwww so frustrated

1 Like

Re: Greatest Western Empires - Oyo & Other Yoruba Kingdoms by macof(m): 10:24pm On Jul 09, 2017

Another useless buffon from Bini

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Young Igbos Hide In The UK? / Types Of Fulanis And Thier Lifestyles / Why Do Igbos Place So Much Value On Ancestral Land Than The One Bought ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.