Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development (2369 Views)

Innovative!!! University Graduate Construct Hydro – Electric Power Plant / Augustine Otuokwa Ogar Constructs Hydro-Electric Power Plant (Photos) / Fascinating Images Captures The Power And Scale Of Sea Vessels Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 8:18pm On Jul 08, 2017
Hydro-electricity remains one of the cheapest and purest form of electricity around the world. Perhaps it is one of the environmental friendly source of energy that has not been fully tapped. The world is made of 70% water which can drive hydro electric system to generate clean energy. Hydro electric generation involves the use of water to turn a turbine which in return turns an electric alternator to produce electricity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 8:26pm On Jul 08, 2017
Many people usually think of a very big dam construction whenever they hear the word " Hydro electric system ", it is important to know that there are different types of hydro electric system which do not necessarily need the availability of big dam. Many of these mini hydro electric systems may generate electricity that can efficiently supply rural communities. That small river that flows behind your house may be a good source of power to generate electricity.

TYPES OF HYDRO-ELECTRIC GENERATION SYSTEM

PICO HYDRO ELECTRIC SYSTEM

This is the type of hydro electric system that is capable of generating electricity within a range of 0kw - 5kw. It is useful in rural houses that require only a small amount of electricity energy. A pico- hydro electric system set up is typically run-of- the- river meaning dams are not needed but rather pipes divert some of the flow and drop this down a gradient and through the turbine before returning it to the stream.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 8:35pm On Jul 08, 2017
MICRO HYDRO- ELECTRIC SYSTEM

It is hydro- electric system that typically produces electricity within the range of 5kw - 100kw. This type of hydro electric can provide power to small communities or isolated home. This system can provide an economical source of energy without purchase of fuel. In this case water from flowing river may be gathered in a space and the water is allowed to flow down a slope to create a high pressure within the penstock pipe to the turbine which turns the alternator that produces the electricity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by LionDeLeo: 8:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
OP, this your topic is one of the most important things I search on the internet almost on daily basis because I have always nursed the idea of generating electricity for myself, although this hydro wouldn't be feasible as I don't live close to where I can easily tap from waterfall or its equivalent.

But is/are there other renewable energy sources you can discuss?
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by ifex370(m): 9:12pm On Jul 08, 2017
Paying close attention.. Op ride on
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 9:30pm On Jul 08, 2017
A pico hydroelectric system

1 Like

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 9:35pm On Jul 08, 2017
A micro hydroelectric system

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 9:39pm On Jul 08, 2017
MINI HYDRO - ELECTRICITY SOURCE

This is a system of hydro electric generation system that can generate electricity ranging within 100kw- 1mw ( megwatt ). These form of power generation system can be used to supply rural areas.

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 10:10pm On Jul 08, 2017
SMALL HYDRO- ELECTRIC SYSTEM

This type of hydro electric power system can generate electric within a range of 1Mw - 10 Mw. this system can be used to supply electricity to large communities in the city or a whole city as it can supply electricity to more than 10000 homes or houses. This system does not require large scale dam. They only require active flowing river with massive flow rate per year.

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 10:58pm On Jul 08, 2017
Small hydroelectric generation system .. ... 10megawatt plant driven by Francis turbine...

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 11:00pm On Jul 08, 2017
MEDIUM HYDRO- ELECTRIIC SYSTEM

This falls under hydro electric system whose electric power generation fallls under 10mw -100mw and they supply more than 100000 houses.

LARGE HYDRO- ELECTRICITY SYSTEM

They usually require large dams and can produce more than 100mw electricity.

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 11:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
HOW A SMALL SCALE HYDROELECTRIC GENERATION SYSTEM WORKS

The system works on the principle of conversion of of energy from one form to another. It first converts the water ( potential energy ) into a kinetic energy which helps in driving the turbine that eventually drives the alternator that produces electricity.

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 12:17am On Jul 09, 2017
SUITABLE CONDITIONS FOR SMALL SCALE HYDROELECTRIC SYSTEM TO OPERATE EFFECTIVELY

Small scale hydroelectric system has conditions under which it can yield maximally. The best geographical area for exploiting small scale are available where there are steep river available all year round. Take for example the hilly area of countries with high year round rainfall or the great mountain ranges and th3i4 foot hill and their foot hills.

To access the success the sustainability of a potential site. The hydrology of the site needs to be known and a site survey carried out to determine actual flow and head. This data gives a good overhead picture of annual rain pattern and likely fluctuations in precipitation and flow patterns

The site survey gives more detailed information of the site conditions to allow power calculation to be done and design to begin. Flow data should be gathered over a period of at least one full year where possible, so as to ascertain the fluctuations in river flow over the various season.

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2017
LionDeLeo:
OP, this your topic is one of the most important things I search on the internet almost on daily basis because I have always nursed the idea of generating electricity for myself, although this hydro wouldn't be feasible as I don't live close to where I can easily tap from waterfall or its equivalent.

But is/are there other renewable energy sources you can discuss?

Good to hear this from you. People that are close to flowing water sources are not even aware of the possibility of generating electricity from that small river flowing not too far from them. This thread is to create the awareness and let people take advantage of the water rather than turning such rivers or flowing water into a dumping site.

Concerning other renewable energy sources I would say, there is one that I have been working on or researching into that uses the concept of hydroelectric generation only that in its own case it wouldn't be necessary to site it where there is natural flowing water. It will have its own packaged specially built water tank, the water is allowed to run through the specially formulated turbine. The water would be allowed to return back onto the water packaged tank automatically for it to be reused and the cycle continues like that.

The challenge is raising fund to execute such idea because it could be little bit capital intensive but cheaper when compared to other sources of renewable energy around. For example, it would presently cost close to #6,000,000 according to a post here on nairaland to generate a solar electricity of about 5kw in Nigeria but this innovative idea I talk about could generate more than 2okw with d same amount . Though it still remains a researched idea for now because it has not been fully executed.
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by pacino26(m): 11:08pm On Jul 09, 2017
My father in heaven shocked shocked shocked shocked

Greetings Patrick quite an eye opener here. I'll love to have more discussion on the subject. Do u mind?

Though I've seen a movie where the Pico tech was deployed. Correct me if am wrong but it shows that the system needs gravity as the main driving force for water. Care to give more insights?

patrickkkk:
Many people usually think of a very big dam construction whenever they hear the word " Hydro electric system ", it is important to know that there are different types of hydro electric system which do not necessarily need the availability of big dam. Many of these mini hydro electric systems may generate electricity that can efficiently supply rural communities. That small river that flows behind your house may be a good source of power to generate electricity.

TYPES OF HYDRO-ELECTRIC GENERATION SYSTEM

PICO HYDRO ELECTRIC SYSTEM

This is the type of hydro electric system that is capable of generating electricity within a range of 0kw - 5kw. It is useful in rural houses that require only a small amount of electricity energy. A pico- hydro electric system set up is typically run-of- the- river meaning dams are not needed but rather pipes divert some of the flow and drop this down a gradient and through the turbine before returning it to the stream.

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2017
pacino26:
My father in heaven shocked shocked shocked shocked

Greetings Patrick quite an eye opener here. I'll love to have more discussion on the subject. Do u mind?

Though I've seen a movie where the Pico tech was deployed. Correct me if am wrong but it shows that the system needs gravity as the main driving force for water. Care to give more insights?

Yeah!! Hydroelectric system basically uses the principle of gravity to gather pressure to turn the turbine. However, the important thing to watch out for in hydroelectric generation is the head, flow and type of turbine to be used. Where the annual yield of flow of a particular river or water source is low, there is a particular type of turbine that can handle that situation and vice versa.

Likewise the same thing in a situation where the head is low, there is a turbine designed to handle that nature of challenge. Likewise where the head is high or much we have a particular turbine that will best fit onto that situation.
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 2:52pm On Jul 10, 2017
Now, there are many rivers, springs with features like waterfall in different states of the country, how have we been able to utilize the potential of these natural resources to generate electricity to rural communities where they are found? I believe that when the rural communities are well equipped with electricity supply many businesses that rely on electricity will spring up there which will attract the people in the over populated cities to retrace their steps back to these rural settlements.

These are some of the rivers (waterfall ), springs in Nigeria that have the potential to generate electricity for rural communities in which they are sited and other neighbouring communities around them.

1 Like

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 3:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME : EFFON WATERFALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME: OBUDU WATERFALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 3:30pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME : GURARA WATERFALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 3:53pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME. : ARINTA WATERFALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 4:02pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME: FERIN. RUWA. WATERFALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 4:07pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME : AGBOKIM WATERFALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 4:16pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME: ASSOP WATER FALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 4:27pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME: OWU

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 4:43pm On Jul 10, 2017
NAME: OLUMINRIN WATERFALL

Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by kunlef1: 2:19pm On Jul 16, 2017
Patrick,

I don't have a waterfall near my residence, but my house in Ibadan is on a slope with a large amount of water run-off at high speed during the rainy season. I currently divert the water off my compound because it has fallen the fence at the back of the house before. So, I can easily have a controlled diversion back into the compound if it would be of any use. The compound is about 100ft long (front to back), and I think the height difference between the front and back is about 3 feet, i.e a slope of about 1:33.

Based on your discussion I think I should be able to use a pipe to collect the water near the front fence, run the pipe along a wall at almost a flat level and release it at a height at the back fence onto a turbine generator near the back fence. I may also be able to run the pipe to empty into a plastic storage tank on the ground, and then have another pipe at higher elevation on the tank (say 2m above ground level) to release the water to the turbine.

The issues are:
1. Would the pressure at a height difference of about 2m be sufficient or higher elevation is required, which in this case may require pumping into an overhead tank?
2. How would the issue of mud in the flood water be taken care of to avoid clogging the pipes and system?
3. What are the other practical suggestion to make this work to achieve a reasonable power generation (3 - 5kw)?
4. Do you have an idea of the cost of the Pico turbine system?

I hope you and other people on the thread can let us jointly brainstorm about this.
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by mccben4(m): 9:05pm On Jul 18, 2017
[
2. How would the issue of mud in the flood water be taken care of to avoid clogging the pipes and system?
this.[/quote] you can use a wire mesh to sieve and constantly check it so that the particles won't block it
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by strenghtt: 3:05pm On Aug 27, 2017
Hope to try thiss some day!
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 4:19pm On Jan 12, 2018
strenghtt:
Hope to try thiss some day!

Good to know u are learning!!
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 10:07pm On Jan 28, 2022
Good evening!
Re: Developing Small Scale Hydro-electric Systems In Nigeria For Rural Development by patrickkkk: 5:21pm On Jan 30, 2022
smiley smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

22-year-old Nigerian ‘invents’ Generator Whose Fuel Is Water – Not Petrol (pics) / MTN Hynetflex MF286 Router Review - With Photos. / Startimes Decoder At Give-away Price -SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.