Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,338 members, 7,819,189 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:26 PM

What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged (13430 Views)

Cars Submerged By Flood In Calabar As Man Climbs On Top His Car And Relaxes / DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded / Car Submerged In Massive Flood In Benin After Hours Of Rainfall. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by free2ryhme: 9:00am On Jul 10, 2017
Let me get Alfa mechanic and mutiu rewire and dekunle panel for the job

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by jakautoworld: 7:15pm On Jul 10, 2017
jakautoworld:
With nearly hundreds of residents may be facing the prospect of their cars being submerged in a torrent of sea- and/or rainwater in Lekki and VI area of Lagos. Some who otherwise escaped the floods could find themselves in a potentially life threatening situation once they venture out if their cars suddenly become inundated on a waterlogged thoroughfare or under a viaduct.

For starters, if your car is currently under water or suspect it’s been flooded by the storm surge take heed. It's advisables that you not to try starting a car that’s been submerged without first having a technician perform a thorough inspection and cleaning. Salt water, for those who live in coastal areas, can be particularly damaging to a car's components.

"In addition to the obvious damage done to upholstery and carpeting, flood water is a corrosive and abrasive mixture of water and dirt that works its way into every seam and crevice of a vehicle," don't you know s a flooded car’s engine, transmission and fuel, brake, power steering and electrical systems are vulnerable to increased wear and premature failure.

If you’re calling the mymechanic.me or other service for roadside assistance, be patient, as you’ll probably be on a long list of those seeking help, and have reasonable expectations. The mymechanic.me generally handles dead battery/starting, flat tires, lockouts and other relatively minor service issues. Tow trucks are set up to drive through about 18 inches of water to pull submerged vehicles to dry land, but don’t expect drivers to sacrifice their own safety or the integrity of their equipment negotiating levels deeper than that.

If a car has been completely or partially submerged, extensive disassembly may be needed for a thorough cleaning. Unfortunately, this doesn’t come cheap. Depending on its make, model and age, the cost to restore a flood-damaged vehicle could exceed its value, in which case the owner’s insurance company would consider it “totaled.”

If you live on higher ground and your vehicle has thus far remained dry, be extra cautious when venturing out for the first time to avoid becoming submerged in standing or surging water. Dips in the road, viaducts and areas adjacent to rivers and streams are especially susceptible to flooding during or after a normal downpour, and you should never assume that standing water is shallow enough to negotiate. If local authorities are telling residents to stay off the roads, don’t risk the trip in the first place.

Download mymechanic app on IOS
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by jakautoworld: 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2017
Sniper12:
my car was submerged. hazard light is on while d car is off. killed my battery. car interior stinks. got a replacement battery and rewire sorted d hazard light ish. drove it to work today. i hope no serious damage tho. cos i aint gat no money

My Mechanic by TBD LIMITED
https://appsto.re/gb/5GFrjb.i
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by jakautoworld: 1:02pm On Jul 11, 2017
HungerBAD:
True.

Told my friend the same thing yesterday that lives in Lekki.

The Rain moved her SUV from where it was parked,and hit it against the fence of her house.

My Mechanic by TBD LIMITED
https://appsto.re/gb/5GFrjb.i
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by xtremeidea(m): 5:52pm On Jul 27, 2017
Sniper12:
my car was submerged. hazard light is on while d car is off. killed my battery. car interior stinks. got a replacement battery and rewire sorted d hazard light ish. drove it to work today. i hope no serious damage tho. cos i aint gat no money

How did you dry the water? Please share!
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 27, 2017
xtremeidea:

How did you dry the water? Please share!
hasnt dried till now. car stinks.
Re: What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged by xtremeidea(m): 7:50pm On Jul 27, 2017
Sniper12:
hasnt dried till now. car stinks.

Crap!!! cry cry cry AM a victim from Saturday's flood!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Frustrated Due To Damaged Immobilizer/brainbox / How To Clean Your Car's Injectors / Ways Of Getting Rid Of Rats Or Mice Out Of Your Car Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.