Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,776 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded (11553 Views)

10 Essential Driving Tips For Pregnant Women / What To Do If Your Car Is Flooded Or Becomes Submerged / Driving Tips For First Time Drivers In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by obafemee80(m): 6:33am On Jul 24, 2017
[img]http:///a/img924/4698/vUxRAj.jpg[/img]

[img]http:///a/img923/8792/QcmgjR.jpg[/img]

Driving through floods can pose all kinds of problems such as the possibility of electrical faults,the risk of hydraulic lock i.e when engine suck in water.Also,damage can be done to the pistons,connecting rods and other vital parts of your car’s internal mechanics.

If you come upon a flooded street,take an alternate route.Take extra precautions if you're forced to drive through water.If you have no alternate route and you have no other reasonable alternative but to drive through standing water,then follow the tips below

Only drive through water if you know how deep it is.

Do your best to estimate the depth of the water.If other cars are driving through,take note of how deep the water is. 

Drive slowly and steadily through the water,as driving fast through standing water can cause expensive damage.it only takes small quantity of water sucked into the engine to cause serious damage.

Avoid driving in water that has fallen electrical or power line poles in it,in order to avoid electrocution.Electric current passes through water easily. 

Be cautious of items traveling downstream as you can easily be trapped or crushed if you're in their path.

As you drive slowly through flooded road,keep the engine revving by slipping the clutch, otherwise water in the exhaust could stall the engine.

If you have driven through water up to the wheel rims or higher,your brakes should be tested on a clear patch of road at low speed.If they are not stopping the vehicle as they should,dry them by pressing gently on the brake pedal with your left foot while maintaining speed with your right foot.

If your vehicle stalls in the flood,you may need to restart the engine to make it to safety.Remember that restarting the car may cause irreparable damage to the engine.

If you can't restart your vehicle and you become trapped in rising water,it is advisable to abandon it for higher ground.

It is also inconsiderate to soak pedestrians by driving fast through the flooded roads.

Another thing to watch out for are the inconsiderate drivers racing through the flood in the opposite direction with their SUVs or trucks,creating waves high enough to drown your car.

If you are unable to get out safely,call the attention of passerbys or someone standing on higher ground so that they may help you out.

Finally,always remember to park your car at an higher level if your parking lot or compound is prone to flooding after a light or heavy rain.

https://autojosh.com/driving-tipswhat-road-flooded/

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by Luciferdevil(m): 6:39am On Jul 24, 2017
For me, ama drive like Paul Walker or better still, I will turn the car to canoe.
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by ken19: 7:09am On Jul 24, 2017
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by myners007: 7:09am On Jul 24, 2017
Turn off the ignition and activate ur underlay floater

2 Likes

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by aktolly54(m): 7:09am On Jul 24, 2017
Good
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by swiz123(m): 7:09am On Jul 24, 2017
Huh..... How did I get here? I no get car abeg
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by oluwafrizzy(m): 7:11am On Jul 24, 2017
Loolll
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by sojayy(m): 7:12am On Jul 24, 2017
Okay o

1 Like

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by alatbaba1(m): 7:12am On Jul 24, 2017
I no get car yet
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by YelloweWest: 7:12am On Jul 24, 2017
Op number your tips.

Good advice.

1 Like

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by lwise(m): 7:14am On Jul 24, 2017
Kayrich:
Opportunity of investing in real estate most especially for the future are still abounding massively in Ikorodu. I can tell you categorically that the road linking Ikorodu with lagos-ibadan expressway has already began.
Vast numbers of properties are still available now for sale and at affordable/lower price. Invest in them now before its too late when the price will begin to spring up.
It's only normal to bear in mind that the road will be a dualized road with 4 pedestrian bridges starting from Agric junction and ends at arepo. Berger-isheri road is also an adjoining road to the new expressway.
If interested in getting a property now, you can contact us.
Phone...
07061295782/08024559706.
Richykay Properties.
Office address...
36/38 Ireakari estate road, isolo Lagos.

Investing in Badoo's den abi.
Kontinu

2 Likes

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by Lighthouseman: 7:17am On Jul 24, 2017
Following
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by manubuikep(m): 7:17am On Jul 24, 2017
better still pack ur car and swim d water
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by silas24(m): 7:18am On Jul 24, 2017
the best way is to keep a surfboard in your boot at all times.
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by swagguElite(m): 7:27am On Jul 24, 2017
You can never know when a rainfall will turn to a flood _I hv been in an area where rain fell for good 5hrs _there was no flood! _bcos of good drainage system n

No one would ever reason whether the area where he parked his car is prone to flood or has a poor drainage system! _unless anytime yu park _yu jog down to where the gutter to check if the gutter is filled up with dirt or not!

The OP made some useful tips _nice job! Bro _its just that yu can never see it when its coming! smiley

3 Likes

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by MadCow1: 7:29am On Jul 24, 2017
Just don't. .

It's a car not a boat.

Do not drive through any pool of water that is flowing with a strong current. You will very likely die if you are not careful.

SUV no involve water o!

It's better to be late than to never arrive your destination.

1 Like

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by shady16: 7:35am On Jul 24, 2017
obafemee80:

As you drive slowly through flooded road,keep the engine revving by slipping the clutch, otherwise water in the exhaust could stall the engine.

https://autojosh.com/driving-tipswhat-road-flooded/

What bout automatic tranny rides
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by Exponental(m): 7:44am On Jul 24, 2017
keep revving gently, don't make engine to off, else, water flows into exhaust.
ask for higher level or watch other users before driving through if not sure of depth.
Wait, cos if you don't wait and vehicle gets stalked, you wait for a longer time with issues to resolve
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by willoski(m): 7:46am On Jul 24, 2017
Good one Bro
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 24, 2017
Pussies, a little bit of moisture and we no go hear word grin

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by lonelydora: 8:04am On Jul 24, 2017
It is not possible for those guys to be pushing the Honda Accord while the Toyota Yaris wades through the flood comfortably. Honda is better in flood than Toyota. If you are quoting me on this give reason.

Okay oooo.....Nobody is inside the Toyota sef.

How do you keep engine revving with automatic?
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by LeJeun3: 8:08am On Jul 24, 2017
shady16:

What bout automatic tranny rides

Copy and Paste things...

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by fait10(m): 8:18am On Jul 24, 2017
But we never buy car now

2 Likes

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by diportivo: 8:24am On Jul 24, 2017
cry

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by GMBuhari: 8:38am On Jul 24, 2017
Park , put on your swimming trunk

Swim away
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by newslifeop: 8:44am On Jul 24, 2017
Leaave your car at home
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by patonyx1: 8:56am On Jul 24, 2017
Yea, for easy reference.

YelloweWest:
Op number your tips.

Good advice.

1 Like

Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 24, 2017
Depends on the height of the flood, if flood water is at headlight level like in the first picture, I would not advise driving through the flood, I d rather look for an alternative route or park my car.

Once water gets into the intake , it can gain access to your cylinders and damage your engines and even transmissions (especially manual).

Air can be compressed water cannot, instant engine damage is the result.
Re: DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded by lanrei(m): 9:21am On Jul 24, 2017
good tips but i dont buy the idea of driving slowly in d flood

(1) (2) (Reply)

13 Awkward Things That You Observe In A Danfo / 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? / Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.