Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,155 members, 7,953,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:56 PM

After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? (12427 Views)

Cars Submerged By Flood In Calabar As Man Climbs On Top His Car And Relaxes / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) / Flood Carrying Cars In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by 19naia(m): 4:35am On Jul 11, 2017
Flood cars being sold left and right is usually a thing to look out for after major flood issues. I am not sure how it works in Nigeria but in countries with good insurance compensation for flood damaged cars, owners often use the insurance payments to get another car. They just sell the flood car and add that money to the insurance payment to get a new car.
Serious rugged offroad vehicles can usually handle floods but mostly just during short drives submerged in deep water. I had an old 1984 mini van that was sitting in enough water to drown the engine but it only sat in the water for 10 minutes before being pulled out. It started up well after a one hour rest and never a problem with it after.

It is a different story if the car sits in water for 12 hours or more, at depths that inundate the interior as well as the engine and boot. That is enough time to soak into the electrical system. The engine is usualy well insulated against water damage but when it gets into the front console where the radio and other controls are, you can have all kinds of electrical issues. Also water or moisture can remain behind the inner door panels long enough to grow fungus which can eat away the panels from behind until they begin to sag. Speakers can have electrical short outs.

The smell of the car is the best way to catch a flood car. A car that has sat long enough in deep flood waters will not be able to clear out the moisture fast enough to prevent mold and mildew smell from building up and that smell will be the warning that there are likely active mold and mildew colonies eating the door panels from behind the panel cosmetic surface. The padding and insulation in the seats and floor can also hold mold and mildew. If the cars were stripped and had the wet insulation removed but not replaced, that will be a world of future problems to come ,such as issues with unbearable heat building up in the car even with full AC working.

Let the smell of the car reveal itself. Also a car with overwhelming scent application may be a sign of masking the flood smell, but still it cannot erase the smell without overwhelming the car interior with artificial scent.

If you are the owner of a car that was flooded while you owned it, it is possible to recover the car but no guarantee it will be manageable. If it starts and drives after waters subside, it would be worth it to fill the tank and drive the car for several hours to dry out the power train and to also coax out any issues waiting to happen. Better to spend to burn a full tank of petrol than to wait for residual water to make corrosion or electrical short circuits over time. The hard part is getting the interior smell out but it can be done if you start drying it out immediatley and use high heat and mold + mildew killer to keep it from forming. High heat constantly until it is dry. If you can drive it to the Sahara and park it there grin -but it may be cheaper to run a tank of petrol with the car idling all day and night with the AC high heat blowing with the windows closed except for a small slit for escape of the humid interior air. Use the interior AC heat if you have the feature, otherwise buy a heater to use. Leaving the car to sit after the waters subside, waiting until you have time to deal with it, is the way to guarantee that moisture damage and bad smells can set in very well. Get to the car immediately and start the drying process. Corrosion in unseen areas and mildew do not take long to begin setting in.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by NLOwner(m): 7:07am On Jul 11, 2017
Nice one..

Everybody should be careful about buying cars from the island, lest they buy flooded cars..

3 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by davido101(m): 7:30am On Jul 11, 2017
Buhari should be blamed...

12 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by verygudbadguy(m): 7:30am On Jul 11, 2017
Thanks for the write up. Definitely, a lot of these Lekki guys would want to sell off their cars.

Rich people no dey like too much wahala. A guy posted the bill he got from his mechanic yesterday, it was almost 1m for repairs and change of engine

2 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by ryd3(m): 7:30am On Jul 11, 2017
Gbam
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Handsomebeing(m): 7:32am On Jul 11, 2017
Hmmmm.
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by multiconcept(m): 7:32am On Jul 11, 2017
I no get car
Make I come theyygo

1 Like

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by owesomegene(m): 7:33am On Jul 11, 2017
hmmmmmm interesting

1 Like

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Histrings08(m): 7:33am On Jul 11, 2017
Water entered the brain box of a crosstour belonging to one Man like that, nd they said tz gonna cost him 980k or approximately 2m to repair it.. Chaiiiiii

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Emyemyberry(m): 7:33am On Jul 11, 2017
Make flood cars fall on people hoping to buy cheap flooded cars.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Vicotex(m): 7:34am On Jul 11, 2017
mean while, lala do your duty

2 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by victorazy(m): 7:34am On Jul 11, 2017
am evening thinking of to make a movie (thriller) and call it flood just like movie 2012
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Integrityfarms(m): 7:35am On Jul 11, 2017
... And the rich cried..
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Lincoln275(m): 7:35am On Jul 11, 2017
ok
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by chronique(m): 7:36am On Jul 11, 2017
Nigerians talk too much. While I appreciate the fact that you are trying to advice people and warn them from falling into the trap of buying flooded cars, I think you should have discussed this with your inner circle. Reason is that, people who know that they have flooded cars and are aware people would start avoiding cars on the island, would simply look for a way to beat this and sell of their junks to people. At the end of the day, your announcement would become counter productive. I know just about everything you wrote there but refused to write about it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by armadeo(m): 7:39am On Jul 11, 2017
Lol. When you buy that crosstour for 400k.

1 Like

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Ijaya123: 7:39am On Jul 11, 2017
davido101:

Should I also blame him for your ineptitude reasoning.

13 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by iykeism(m): 7:40am On Jul 11, 2017
Let me ask Google
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 11, 2017
ok
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 11, 2017
yes
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by skulgen: 7:42am On Jul 11, 2017
Honestly, seeing those car pix online was a nightmare for me, I was lik, what if its this my car i cherish much. i dnt just know how the owners of these cars feels.
I even saw one that d fence fell and broke everything ontop d flood, as in adding salt inside injury.
its just hrt breaking.
I wish God consoles them, there re more things in life that kills a man even when he s still alive, this is one.

on the matter at hand, one have to be careful in buying cars from Lag now cos surely they wil shift these cars down the country and people will buy. if possible, avoid Lag cars this yr entirely. by December they must have sold alot of them, then next yr u can start buying.

9 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Innodon(m): 7:42am On Jul 11, 2017
I asked the same question yesterday.. .
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by arvinsloane(m): 7:47am On Jul 11, 2017
Nice info.

After the raggae play the blues grin grin
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Rebuke: 7:49am On Jul 11, 2017
Thanks Op. This infor came jxt at the right time.

Eeh! Now I don dey suspect dis baba Bimbo car o. He jxt wants me to pay quick all of a sudden.

2 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by maxiuc(m): 7:52am On Jul 11, 2017
Unless they can sell for 100k

Nobody should buy car now

All those online car sales portal
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Gobhanky: 7:55am On Jul 11, 2017
Avoid buying cars this year.
Now we can see auctionexport here.
Accidented cars
Flooded cars.
All u fools in lag.
Hahahahahahahahabahagaga
Accidented flooded cars.
Hahahahahahahahaga

Lagos my dic
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Gobhanky: 7:55am On Jul 11, 2017
Scam
Newphils4:
STUDY IN THE PHILIPPINES WITH LOW TUITIONFEES NO JAMB, NO UTME.Seriously,why kill yourself over jamb while your mates got this information and are now studying in universities with international recognitions.Lots of countries in the world will invite you to study abroad which willbe quit expensive and in most cases you've ignored,but have you ever considered the Philippines? Do you know atleast 1 out of 10 doctors in the US studied inthe Philippines? Do you know south Koreasends not less than a thousand students every month to study in Philippines?Aside from the international standard of teaching,the tuition fees in the Philippines is oneof the cheapest you can find around the world. Most students in Philippines pays less than$500(#100,000)per section,which means with$2000(#400,000)you can complete a 4 years degree course. The amazing part of this is you don't need to hustle for admission all you need is your secondary school statement of result(WAEC).With your WAEC result or neco resultyou can gain admission to any school and course of your choice..
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by jacko007(m): 7:55am On Jul 11, 2017
davido101:

blamed for the fact that environmental policy's are been diminished by fellow citizens ?

If they ask you to stop dumping on drainage systems , you hide and do it at night.

Buy your land and call a certified building Engineers/surveyor you will act on deaf hears.

We are all to be blamed on this, the government, the people.
Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by Rebuke: 7:56am On Jul 11, 2017
I thnk itz better buyn cars during dry season.

If yhu won rent or buy hous, buy during raining season but for cars, buy during dry season.

Op thanks so much. I wish dis kind of post is wat we get to see on front page frequently.

3 Likes

Re: After The Floods, Will Flood Cars Flood The Market? by hopefulLandlord: 7:57am On Jul 11, 2017
informative

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

When To Dump That Car Engine Before It Runs You Down / BMW Recalls 7-series Cars Because Doors Can Fly Open / Installation Of Android Tesla Screen Worth N400,000 Into Lexus Es 350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.