Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,484 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities (620 Views)

10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. / The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos / English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by ojimbo(m): 7:03am On Jul 11, 2017
It may suprise you that most names of countries and their cities you read on the Map or you see on thr news may not be the actual name if you get there.
It may suprise you that a German man or woman never knew his country is being called Germany.
A spanish man may have never heard that his country is being called Spain
Same goes to every other European countries
You may be traveling from Nigeria to Germany, Hoping that you will see something like Germany on the billboard. Or then trying to get a ticket to Munich and you expect that the ticket sales person knows where is Munich.
I had an experience when i got to italia, i was trying to get a ticket going to Rome, everyone on the streets was like "What is Rome?"
I was suprised that every italian man never knew that their capital territory is called Rome.
So i want to use this opportunity to give the local names of European countries and its cities
Italy- Italia
Germany- Deutschland
Spain- España
Switzerland- Schweiz (Dutch) Suisse (french) Svizzera (Italian)
Netherland- Nederland
Austria- Österreich
Belgium - Belgique
And the major cities

Rome - Roma
Lisbon - Lisboa
Munich- Munchen
Milan- Milano
Florence -Firenze
Venice- Venezia
Vienna- Wien
Zurich- Zürich
Geneva- Genève
Naples- Napoli
Sicily- Sicilia
Turin- Torino
Brussels- Bruxelles

1 Like

Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by swiz123(m): 7:17am On Jul 11, 2017
Very educative op,i am really at surprised especially with Germany
Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by PtBlank: 7:21am On Jul 11, 2017
Interesting
Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by holatin(m): 7:27am On Jul 11, 2017
Lagos - eko
Maiduguri - sambisa forest
kenya- weird republic
abeg make I dey go

2 Likes

Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by ojimbo(m): 7:41am On Jul 11, 2017
swiz123:
Very educative op,i am really at surprised especially with Germany
even when an italian want to call England, He will say "Inghilterra" so if you want to play England league on football Betiing.
On the programme book. Don't expect to see England league. You will only see "Inghilterra Lega"
Its strange and funny
Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by okeke00(m): 7:47am On Jul 11, 2017
what an interesting post. I'm already surfing the internet to know if this is actually true.
Lalasticlala come and help take this to the where it is supposed to be
Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by Dexema(m): 7:58am On Jul 11, 2017
Polska - poland

2 Likes

Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by good4all40: 9:44am On Jul 12, 2017
And French call it ANGLOTAIRE
Re: English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by seunny4lif(m): 12:40pm On Jul 12, 2017
München

(1) (Reply)

How To Apply For South Africa Visa / Travelling To Canada / Qatar Airways Plane Forced To Land After Wife....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.