Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,256 members, 7,829,497 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities (619 Views)

10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed. / The Literal Meaning Of Names Of Major Places In Lagos / English Language May Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by okeke00(m): 9:59pm On Jul 16, 2017
It may suprise you that most names of countries and their cities you read on the Map or you see on thr news may not be the actual name if you get there.
It may suprise you that a German man or woman never knew his country is being called Germany.
A spanish man may have never heard that his country is being called Spain
Same goes to every other European countries
You may be traveling from Nigeria to Germany, Hoping that you will see something like Germany on the billboard. Or then trying to get a ticket to Munich and you expect that the ticket sales person knows where is Munich.
I had an experience when i got to italia, i was trying to get a ticket going to Rome, everyone on the streets was like "What is Rome?"
I was suprised that every italian man never knew that their capital territory is called Rome.
So i want to use this opportunity to give the local names of European countries and its cities
Italy- Italia
Germany- Deutschland 
Spain- España
Switzerland- Schweiz (Dutch) Suisse (french) Svizzera (Italian)
Netherland- Nederland
Austria- Österreich
Belgium - Belgique
And the major cities

Rome - Roma
Lisbon - Lisboa
Munich- Munchen
Milan- Milano
Florence -Firenze
Venice- Venezia
Vienna- Wien
Zurich- Zürich
Geneva- Genève
Naples- Napoli
Sicily- Sicilia
Turin- Torino
Brussels- Bruxelles
Re: English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by mgdimagaladima(m): 10:01pm On Jul 16, 2017
Cc. Mgdima
Re: English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by kagari: 10:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
Lovely thread
Re: English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by VictorJoshua(m): 10:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
Making Sense. They Say Knowledge Is Power. I Appreciate D Info. Thanks 4 Sharing. #smiles

1 Like

Re: English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by 2O17: 12:11am On Jul 17, 2017
cool
Re: English Language Might Have Decieved You About Some Names Of European Cities by okeke00(m): 8:09am On Jul 17, 2017
VictorJoshua:
Making Sense. They Say Knowledge Is Power. I Appreciate D Info. Thanks 4 Sharing. #smiles
thanks

(1) (Reply)

Relocating From The East To Lagos / Truck Rams Into Air Peace Aircraft At Lagos Airport / Nigerian Woman Kicked Off Flight After Whiteman Complained She Has Body Odour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.