Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Knowledge On Car Fans - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Knowledge On Car Fans (963 Views)

Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge / 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses / 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Knowledge On Car Fans by ugreat(m): 9:34am On Jul 11, 2017
Hello gurus,
I have been taking interest and love in diy. My car big fan got burnt on Sunday. I dont know the cause. My guess was some uncommon wire connections on the old car. Before I take it to a rewire I want to learn things here. I heard Nurey mention about wire not running direct. How is it meant to be and what should be the connections to be looked it. NB: the car ac is not working.
Dear Nurey, I didnt want to spam that bros thread so opened this. Look up to your inputs. Thanks
Re: Knowledge On Car Fans by nurey(m): 10:30am On Jul 11, 2017
well i am not too conversant with the wiring in vehicles but ordinarily, the fan wires are affixed to a sensor, sensor to engine ecu, which allows the fans to kick in when engine is hot. Now what these quack mechanics and rewire do is to peel the rubber insulator of the fan wire then tap current direct from battery head to this wire. The level of quack-nalism is different, some as soon as you insert key and just switch ignition to ON the fan will start rolling others will add capacitors and resistors to the mix and the fan will only come on when engine is cranked.

I wont bother doing a DIY on this, i will just study the pathway and look for a competent mechanic to adhere to my instruction of switching the fan to the stock connection also in the process i would check the thermostat and change coolant. Most Nigerian used cars have already been remixed by this kazeem.
Re: Knowledge On Car Fans by ugreat(m): 2:06pm On Jul 11, 2017
nurey:
well i am not too conversant with the wiring in vehicles but ordinarily, the fan wires are affixed to a sensor, sensor to engine ecu, which allows the fans to kick in when engine is hot. Now what these quack mechanics and rewire do is to peel the rubber insulator of the fan wire then tap current direct from battery head to this wire. The level of quack-nalism is different, some as soon as you insert key and just switch ignition to ON the fan will start rolling others will add capacitors and resistors to the mix and the fan will only come on when engine is cranked.

I wont bother doing a DIY on this, i will just study the pathway and look for a competent mechanic to adhere to my instruction of switching the fan to the stock connection also in the process i would check the thermostat and change coolant. Most Nigerian used cars have already been remixed by this kazeem.
These are the exact words. Once the car starts, the two fans start working. Now the big one is burnt,I'm looking at replacing it. There's something like relay or capacitor they connected it to. How do I go about fixing this and telling d mechanic to adhere to your above recommendations?
Re: Knowledge On Car Fans by nurey(m): 2:29pm On Jul 11, 2017
ugreat:

These are the exact words. Once the car starts, the two fans start working. Now the big one is burnt,I'm looking at replacing it. There's something like relay or capacitor they connected it to. How do I go about fixing this and telling d mechanic to adhere to your above recommendations?

What car is it (model year) and where is your location?
Re: Knowledge On Car Fans by ugreat(m): 6:49am On Jul 12, 2017
nurey:

What car is it (model year) and where is your location?
Hyundai Sonata 95. Okota Lagos. Noticed they connected the fan to the battery negative terminal
Re: Knowledge On Car Fans by nurey(m): 9:48am On Jul 12, 2017
ugreat:

Hyundai Sonata 95. Okota Lagos. Noticed they connected the fan to the battery negative terminal

Baba, there are some car engine you will open and its better you just continue managing the car as it is and not try to do over sabi, if i was in your shoes, i will rather not buy the car or buy it and go along with the quack wiring, its not only the fan am sure has been remixed. A lot of things in that vehicle has been changed, so just buy and leave things as it is ooo.

1 Like

Re: Knowledge On Car Fans by ugreat(m): 11:50am On Jul 12, 2017
nurey:

Baba, there are some car engine you will open and its better you just continue managing the car as it is and not try to do over sabi, if i was in your shoes, i will rather not buy the car or buy it and go along with the quack wiring, its not only the fan am sure has been remixed. A lot of things in that vehicle has been changed, so just buy and leave things as it is ooo.
Thanks for your input. I'm not trying to do oversabi, just trying to learn one or two things before replacing the spoilt fan. This place has been a great learning platform, if I had know some things i know now from this section, I would have made some better decision in the past. Well, this is the car I use presently to move my family around till Oluwa blesses us the more. Thanks Boss

(1) (Reply)

Car with 3 leg Driving In Lagos (pics) / BMW Releases The New X7 iPerformance Concept / You Can Now Buy Insurance And Renew Vehicle Documents Via Whatsapp!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.