Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses (11990 Views)

6 Ways To Avoid Being Ripped Off By Nigerian Mechanics / Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge / 6 Ways To Spot A Flood Damaged Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Opinionated: 2:36pm On Jan 17, 2018
There are varieties of strategies to help you save thousands of naira over your car. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 6 of these strategies to help you.

Drive Prudently

Aggressive driving like speeding, rapid acceleration and hard braking is one of the quickest ways to waste fuel. To cut fuel costs, you should try to drive more prudently so your vehicle will not have to use up so much fuel trying to adjust to the way it is being handled by you.

Also, refraining from hard braking will prevent your brakes from wearing out quickly and extend the life of your brakes. This will therefore help you save money on changing brake pads.

Regulate Your Air Conditioning

Running the air conditioning can reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy by more than 25%, says Oak Ridge National Laboratory. To regulate your air conditioning, drive with your windows open for a short time before using the A/C to let the hot air out first. On days that are not so hot or on windy days, go without air conditioning and put your windows down. Alternatively, on these days you can use air conditioning, but set it at a slightly higher temperature so it does less work.

Rotate Your Tyres

The front tyres wear out faster than the rear tires, switching these tires helps both sets wear evenly so you wouldn’t have to replace them prematurely. Read your owner’s manual or confirm from a trusted mechanic to know the best time to make the switch. Once you know this, rotating the tires is something that you can easily do on your own.

Avoid ‘Over Oiling’ Your Car

Some mechanics will tell you to change the oil of your car after every 3000 miles, but some of the newer car models can actually go up to 10,000 miles before needing an oil change. You should ensure you read your car’s owner’s manual to know the timetable for oil change that is specified for your car. Alternatively, if you don’t have access to the manual, you can use Google Search to get the information or ask a trusted mechanic

Try Handling Easy Repairs Yourself

A mechanic doesn’t have to handle every repair and maintenance that concerns your car. Repairs like replacing wiper blades, changing car tires, replacing your lights etc. are easy enough to do on your own. You can even go a step further and watch how-to-videos to help your better learn how to do these things.

Know Your Car

You should have a basic understanding of what your car needs and when it needs what it needs. This way you can avoid being up-charged when you take it for maintenance. Often mechanics or re-wirers give a list of things they recommend for repairs when you take your car to them. Your car many not actually need some of the things they listed at that time, but to make additional profit they will include it. This is a well-known fact for most car users but they still fall into this trap because they don’t have basic understanding of their car and its needs.

[b]source: [/b]http://www.opinions.ng/6-ways-save-money-car-expenses/

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by eezeribe(m): 2:43pm On Jan 17, 2018
OK
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by unilagsforum(m): 3:54pm On Jan 17, 2018
True talk
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Gavel(m): 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2018
Well said
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by arrestdarrester: 4:09pm On Jan 17, 2018
I hear you loud and clear
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by OShepherd: 4:11pm On Jan 17, 2018
I think its just better to park the car @ home and allow it to rest! which kind wahala be this sef? How can you use a car and not spend on it shocked grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Mandesz(m): 4:12pm On Jan 17, 2018
Dis could be useful if i've got a good job. but now, i still tnk God ma leggedis benz aren't tired. no way u can save money better n burn fats away.
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2018
when check light comes up and ur broke, u be like oh lord
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Arif4275412(m): 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2018
Very useful information. I hope, these tips will help me to reduce my expense on car.
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by TheShopKeeper(m): 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2018
Good insight...thanks very much....i really like the idea of rotating the tyres...

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Dollabiz: 4:23pm On Jan 17, 2018
Oh
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by aleniboro(m): 4:32pm On Jan 17, 2018
The title of this thread should be "6 ways poor man can save money on car expenses". What concerns a rich man with rolling down the windows of their vehicles to manage fuel!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by begwong: 4:48pm On Jan 17, 2018
Don't overload with the so many staffs that like to get lift/ride to and from office everyday like say una contribute buy the motor

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Blonchilli(m): 4:50pm On Jan 17, 2018
Noted
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by MrLatin1: 4:56pm On Jan 17, 2018
begwong:
Don't overload with the so many staffs that like to get lift/ride to and from office everyday like say una contribute buy the motor
Omo they’ll see you as bad person o. Some will even buy snack and drop the nylon in the car. I taya

3 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by oriewanbe: 4:58pm On Jan 17, 2018
nice one
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by rapulu4: 5:23pm On Jan 17, 2018
begwong:

I don't care mehn!! when maintenance reach, them go follow contribute. I always smile and say no. No time to say no time!
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by royalicon(m): 5:29pm On Jan 17, 2018
begwong:

You will hear "Kuto Sir". Stop for a familiar face, before you know, the car is loaded already. grin grin grin grin
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by davit: 5:37pm On Jan 17, 2018
Nice tips.
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Troublemaker007(m): 6:47pm On Jan 17, 2018
Opinionated:
There are varieties of strategies to help you save thousands of naira over your car. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 6 of these strategies to help you.

Drive Prudently

Aggressive driving like speeding, rapid acceleration and hard braking is one of the quickest ways to waste fuel. To cut fuel costs, you should try to drive more prudently so your vehicle will not have to use up so much fuel trying to adjust to the way it is being handled by you.

Also, refraining from hard braking will prevent your brakes from wearing out quickly and extend the life of your brakes. This will therefore help you save money on changing brake pads.

Regulate Your Air Conditioning

Running the air conditioning can reduce a vehicle’s fuel economy by more than 25%, says Oak Ridge National Laboratory. To regulate your air conditioning, drive with your windows open for a short time before using the A/C to let the hot air out first. On days that are not so hot or on windy days, go without air conditioning and put your windows down. Alternatively, on these days you can use air conditioning, but set it at a slightly higher temperature so it does less work.

Rotate Your Tyres

The front tyres wear out faster than the rear tires, switching these tires helps both sets wear evenly so you wouldn’t have to replace them prematurely. Read your owner’s manual or confirm from a trusted mechanic to know the best time to make the switch. Once you know this, rotating the tires is something that you can easily do on your own.

Avoid ‘Over Oiling’ Your Car

Some mechanics will tell you to change the oil of your car after every 3000 miles, but some of the newer car models can actually go up to 10,000 miles before needing an oil change. You should ensure you read your car’s owner’s manual to know the timetable for oil change that is specified for your car. Alternatively, if you don’t have access to the manual, you can use Google Search to get the information or ask a trusted mechanic

Try Handling Easy Repairs Yourself

A mechanic doesn’t have to handle every repair and maintenance that concerns your car. Repairs like replacing wiper blades, changing car tires, replacing your lights etc. are easy enough to do on your own. You can even go a step further and watch how-to-videos to help your better learn how to do these things.

Know Your Car

You should have a basic understanding of what your car needs and when it needs what it needs. This way you can avoid being up-charged when you take it for maintenance. Often mechanics or re-wirers give a list of things they recommend for repairs when you take your car to them. Your car many not actually need some of the things they listed at that time, but to make additional profit they will include it. This is a well-known fact for most car users but they still fall into this trap because they don’t have basic understanding of their car and its needs.

source: [/b]http://www.opinions.ng/6-ways-save-money-car-expenses/

[b]I do change my engine oil every month o. Is it bad
?

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Fawklicant: 6:52pm On Jan 17, 2018
I do all of the above. Plus I shed unnecessary load, accelerate gently, clean my spark plugs in between servicing. At the traffic light of more than 35 seconds, I turn off ignition most times. I always carry a spare fan belt, first aid kit and better 2kg fire extinguisher. grin
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Fawklicant: 6:53pm On Jan 17, 2018
Troublemaker007:

I do change my engine oil every month o. Is it bad?

What average mileage do you rack up monthly?
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Troublemaker007(m): 6:58pm On Jan 17, 2018
Fawklicant:

What average mileage do you rack up monthly?

My broda I swear I nor even know that one for my car Lolz

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Fawklicant: 7:12pm On Jan 17, 2018
Troublemaker007:

My broda I swear I nor even know that one for my car Lolz

If you just go to work daily say from mainland to island , you should service it like every 3 months or 5000km. If you do interstate with it daily, then you'd rack up mileage much faster.

Next time you service it, look at the mileage on the odometer and record it. Then observe the daily increments to determine your average daily mileage. If you do 100km/day, then you should service it in about 2 months. But regardless if you rack much lower, you should aim at 3 months to 4 max because by then the viscosity and purity of oil would have reduced significantly.

I no go lie, in the days of owu I've driven for 6 months without servicing with high daily mileage... But it was a German machine Sha.
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Troublemaker007(m): 7:19pm On Jan 17, 2018
Fawklicant:

If you just go to work daily say from mainland to island , you should service it like every 3 months or 5000km. If you do interstate with it daily, then you'd rack up mileage much faster.

Next time you service it, look at the mileage on the odometer and record it. Then observe the daily increments to determine your average daily mileage. If you do 100km/day, then you should service it in about 2 months. But regardless if you rack much lower, you should aim at 3 months to 4 max because by then the viscosity and purity of oil would have reduced significantly.

I no go lie, in the days of owu I've driven for 6 months without servicing with high daily mileage... But it was a German machine Sha.

I have learnt something today in Nairaland and thanks to you.

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Fawklicant: 8:01pm On Jan 17, 2018
Troublemaker007:

I have learnt something today in Nairaland and thanks to you.

You are welcome bro!
Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by jide4lagos(m): 10:51pm On Jan 17, 2018
and the most important and necessary "get a comprehensive � insurance ".

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways To Save Money On Car Expenses by Franking: 12:47am On Jan 18, 2018
begwong:

That one tire me o. But them no send u, if ur car no dey available another person go carry them.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me Choose Bwt Eod & 406 / 9 Amazing Facts About Land Rover Defender / Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.