Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,160 members, 7,845,822 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... (5182 Views)

The Men That Made Science Very Difficult In One Picture / Top 3 Most Difficult Exams In The World. / What Department Is The Best In Secondary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 13, 2017
Maglorix:
I Still feel my school is hell compared to others tho

Lol, what school is that?
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by jessykings(f): 4:02pm On Jul 13, 2017
BIOCHEMISTRY, filled with complicated pathways grin

1 Like

Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Greenbuoy(m): 4:13pm On Jul 13, 2017
That has to be geology!

In my school, there was one session like that when that department had no graduating student
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2017
Greenbuoy:
That has to be geology!

In my school, there was one session like that when that department had no graduating student

Na OAU abi?
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Osmuntutu1: 5:05pm On Jul 13, 2017
NYSC, A Clog in the Wheel of Progress

Established by Decree no. 24 of 22nd May 1973 and later repealed and replaced by Decree 51 of 16th June 1993, the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme is aimed at inculcating in Nigerian Youths the spirit of selfless service to the community as well as emphasizing the spirit of oneness and brotherhood of all Nigerians regardless of social or cultural background. The scheme became necessary to reconstruct, reconcile and rebuild the country after the 30-month bloody Civil War that threatened the fabrics of its existence.
Sadly, after 44 years of this experimentation, Nigeria still battles with the issue of national cohesion and underdevelopment. The grudges and bitterness precipitated by the Nigerian Civil War have continued to degenerate into outright indignation, group suspicion and antagonism, manifesting in such forms as post-election crises some of which have claimed the lives of Corps members; a good example being the Bauchi massacre of 2011. The reconstruction, reconciliation and rebuilding (RRR) agenda have thus suffered a huge setback, just to put it mildly.
Although the foregoing cannot be blamed completely on the NYSC scheme, the latter has clearly shown certain flaws that deserve questioning at this point. First, the process for mobilization is slow and often tardy; online registration helplines displayed on the website are never reachable let alone being responsive. Second, prospective Corps members (PCMs) in the same Batch are split into two groups (called Streams) using an unknown criterion and for a reason not cogent enough to justify the prolonged period of waiting that the group labelled Stream 2 suffers afterwards. Third, the process for deployment has been marred by corruption such that PCMs who have either money or political connection can decide which State they will be posted to, and even which Stream they will be grouped into. All these rob the scheme of its integrity, prestige and national outlook; needless to say it also impairs its capacity to effect the RRR agenda.
Nigerian youths consider the first and second flaws particularly annoying. When such aggrieved individuals are eventually deployed, the enthusiasm and vigour needed to render a selfless service are totally lost. Thus, they become unwilling- even after the orientation course- to accept their States of deployment and/or make necessary compromises that would enable their host communities to benefit from their potentials and wealth of knowledge. In all fairness and sincerity, nothing other than this should be expected from say, a 29-year old fellow who has spent one long year after graduation waiting for NYSC mobilization and eventual posting. This problem is compounded by the fact that some companies and firms, especially from the private sector, sometimes ridicule Corps members (CMs) by suggesting (and insisting) that they write interviews before being granted places of primary assignment. This is despite the instruction against such interviews that is clearly written on CMs' posting letters.
The irregularities and ineptitude that characterize the administration of the NYSC scheme have generated a huge resentment among Nigerian youths especially those who sat for UTME severally before gaining admission as well as those who occupy critical positions in their families in terms of shouldering responsibilities. The writer, who holds a National Diploma as well as a Bachelor of Science degree and is about to turn 30, is currently earning only one-fifth of what he is supposed to be earning simply because he has not done his NYSC; meanwhile, this is approximately one year he graduated from the University but happens to be in Stream 2, and so is still "waiting for service". In fact, the phrase, "waiting for service" has become a nightmare to Nigerian undergraduates and fresh graduates.
This write-up, however, is not meant to incite the youths against the government but only to tell our fathers (our leaders) that they are doing evil to their own children perhaps inadvertently, and are therefore setting the country up for a disaster apparently in a bid to pursue the RRR agenda. It is against common sense to expect a delicious meal from a disgruntled wife. Such is the folly of handing me, for example, some students to teach after wasting one whole year of my life with the excessive bureaucracy of NYSC mobilization and deployment thereby leaving me bitter and exasperated. Rather than continue to increase our recurrent expenditure unnecessarily, would it not be better to collapse the NYSC scheme and re-absorb its staff in other sectors of the economy? Why put the precious destinies of our youths on hold- thus contributing to underdevelopment- under the guise of a national service scheme whose purpose has long been defeated? Our souls yearn very much for answers to these questions. Alternatively, what if we decide to restructure the scheme such that Corps-Producing Institutions (CPIs) can be attended to individually? By this, I mean that NYSC can, upon the request of a CPI, send its officials to that institution to conduct orientation for PCMs after which the CMs will be deployed to various States across the federation purely at the discretion of the scheme. Such reform would save the government the huge amount spent on feeding CMs during the 3-week Orientation programme including, of course, other camp logistics that currently mount disturbing demands on the national treasury. Some may counter this idea by saying that the "fun of graduation" would be eliminated, but a progressive nation is that governed by reason (common sense), not by emotions. Many Nigerian youths, I am convinced, would be happy to see this reform implemented, and even happier to have the scheme abolished outright. Let me end with this admonition of the Almighty, "And ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath..." (Ephesians 6:4; Colossians 3:21).

God bless Nigeria!

Osmond N. Nwose
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by supersaz66(m): 6:28pm On Jul 13, 2017
ResponsibleThug:
Geology is a tough course not for the fainthearted

I swear.. Geology is hard
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 6:32pm On Jul 13, 2017
naob:

Lol, what school is that?
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 6:32pm On Jul 13, 2017
unibend o
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 6:33pm On Jul 13, 2017
jessykings:
BIOCHEMISTRY, filled with complicated pathways grin
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2017
only the fine girls there are complicated. lol
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 6:35pm On Jul 13, 2017
Greenbuoy:
That has to be geology!

Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 6:36pm On Jul 13, 2017
I'm start ing to feel for u guys
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Mexico09(m): 9:44pm On Jul 13, 2017
Computer science no be beans, I doff my hat to all the naccosites in the forum.

1 Like

Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Greenbuoy(m): 11:04pm On Jul 13, 2017
naob:

Na OAU abi?
olohun
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 11:08pm On Jul 13, 2017
Mexico09:
Computer science no be beans, I doff my hat to all the naccosites in the forum.
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2017
they suffer a lot here too
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Justseye(m): 11:49pm On Jul 13, 2017
Applied Geology
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 1:24am On Jul 14, 2017
Justseye:
Applied Geology
Re: What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... by Maglorix(m): 1:25am On Jul 14, 2017
I guess the hardest should b geology afterall

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Directs Comprehensive Review Of Governing Boards Of Tertiary Institutions / In Need Of A Genuine Plagiarism Checker Software, Plesae Help! / Assu Strike Called Off?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.