Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

American Football Is Better Than Soccer! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / American Football Is Better Than Soccer! (24804 Views)

Poll: Which sport is better?

American Football: 20% (17 votes)
Soccer: 79% (67 votes)
This poll has ended

Amuneke Beat-up Iheanachos' American Football Agent / Nigeria Is Ready For American Football / Nigerian in the American "Football" League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sharetroll(m): 2:29pm On Feb 06, 2007
American Football > Soccer

Football is a much more open minded sport. They use their hands, feet and bodies on most every play. Soccer rules make hands useless (and wasted) for the majority of players. Just think in football you can have a 400 pound player and a 170 pound player. Never happen in restrictive soccer.

Soccer is for racist pansies that act like a linebacker or end just dropped them from the blindside everytime somebody steps on their toes. I tried to watch the World Cup, but had to stop after the USA v Italy game. I just can't phanthom a guy getting ejected from a game for stepping on another dudes toes. There is something awfully weak and cowardice about that entire two yellows equals an ejection thing.

On top of that, Soccer fans are emos. They get all emotional and riot during games. Killing people and chanting racist remarks. They get all pissed off when and take it as a personal insult when they hear americans can't stand soccer. Why do you care? I don't give a crap at all if the rest of the world hates the NFL. I love it and thats all that matters to me. But no not soccer fans they to take personal offense to someone not liking it.

Grow up who cares. If you love your sport what do you care if what other people think about it. I've heard about the extremely violent people at soccer games, hooligans and such. Do they represent the typical soccer fan or are there more refined spectators that don't get so violent over a stupid game?
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by BlackMamba(m): 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2007
Stop being myopic. It's the American attitude that rub people the wrong way. Football, metric system etc. It tends to be insulting and annoying when Americans ignore the rest of the world and promote a different standard.
Do you realize that in the football (soccer) world using your hands to play a sports is considered less manly?
It's a cultural thing but the American "my way or the highway" attitude is the problem, not wether they like football (soccer) or not.
BTW since my acquaintance with Basketball, NFL football and Baseball, I enjoy the games as much as I enjoy football (soccer). It's all about passion for the sports.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sharetroll(m): 11:10pm On Feb 06, 2007
BUMP
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Razorr(f): 3:48pm On Feb 07, 2007
hmmm. . .
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by adconline(m): 8:00am On Feb 08, 2007
It seems you  do not know the meaning between foot and hand. You call it football and throw it with your hands. What do you call handball? This  is called Rugby elsewhere except America. NFL is a game of speed and collision, while real football is a game of contact , skill and flair.  In football-soccer, you have to be a versatile/utility player and NFL  you only have be good at one. Imagine Robine Gould or Adam Vinateri being paid millions to kick only. Peyton Manning another $100 million to throw only, Devin Hester another million of dollars  to return kicks. Its a game that is devoid of talent, Imagine Shaq getting paid millions to block shots and Wade getting paid  millions to throw 3 points. Besides, its a game meant for obese men. 70% of them are. That's why their life span and career are shorter than any professional team sport.

NFL is a hyped game, that's why a  score/tough down with hand  is upped to six point while a kick with  foot is upped to 3point. What prevents soccer from saying that a goal is 7  or 6 points. Its just that NFL likes high scoring game and a game of fantasy. NFL is purely entertainment like Royal Rumble or Wrestling.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sharetroll(m): 5:40pm On Feb 27, 2007
adconline:

It seems you do not know the meaning between foot and hand. You call it football and throw it with your hands. What do you call handball? This is called Rugby elsewhere except America. NFL is a game of speed and collision, while real football is a game of contact , skill and flair. In football-soccer, you have to be a versatile/utility player and NFL you only have be good at one. Imagine Robine Gould or Adam Vinateri being paid millions to kick only. Peyton Manning another $100 million to throw only, Devin Hester another million of dollars to return kicks. Its a game that is devoid of talent, Imagine Shaq getting paid millions to block shots and Wade getting paid millions to throw 3 points. Besides, its a game meant for obese men. 70% of them are. That's why their life span and career are shorter than any professional team sport.

NFL is a hyped game, that's why a score/tough down with hand is upped to six point while a kick with foot is upped to 3point. What prevents soccer from saying that a goal is 7 or 6 points. Its just that NFL likes high scoring game and a game of fantasy. NFL is purely entertainment like Royal Rumble or Wrestling.

Soccer is not popular in the US because it doesn't match up well with American culture. Americans are result-oriented, and so if something happens on the playing field that doesn't lead to something that constitute a "result" (either points or statistics that they consider significant in some way) then they think that "nothing happened".

The most popular American sports are those that usually can be quantified easily making almost every action count for something. In baseball, they have a stat for just about everything except picking your nose, and they are looking to add MORE stats all the time (for example, Saves are not enough. Now they want to count "Holds" too.) In basketball every play results in at least 1 stat--shot, foul, turnover, steal, block, etc and virtually every good play is measurable in a quantifiable progress (points). In Football, again every single play generates measurable numbers and quantifiable progress (either points or territory).

Two sports that are relatively popular world-wide but weak in the USA: Hockey and Soccer. Both those sports have a lot of up-and-down, back-and-forth, but relatively low scoring and limited statistical tracking to produce a "result" aside from scoring. For example, in baseball you do something measured and considered significant every time you get a base hit. In hockey or soccer you get nothing for a good play where you beat a defender or two but don't get a shot on goal.

Think of basketball where goaltending and fouling was allowed, reducing the scores probably more to 20/25 points/game per team. Basketball popularity would likely plummet, because Americans are no-nonsense and appreciate RESULTS a lot more than process. You can also see the difference in the preferred kind of auto racing: Americans like NASCAR, the rest of the world likes Formula 1.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:42pm On Feb 27, 2007
Lol, are you just being a full troll this time, sharetroll because I can't take this topic seriously  undecided

American football is the gayest sport ever and how can you complain about the violence there when there are sports like hockey?? Have you even been to those little League baseball games with parents beating up other parents, if that's not pitiful then I dont know what is.

Btw the reason why normal people complain when Americans bitch about "soccer" is cos the reasons they give for hating the game are fucking stupid. eg "it's a sassy game" "kicking a ball around like a pansy" blah blah.
IT INVOLVES KICKING WITH THE FEET, hence why WE had Football FIRST not freaking "soccer", I hate that damn word.

Btw how exactly do you expect a 400lb person to do a head ball or cross kick, dude, troll, I think you are just trying to live up to your name with this thread so im gonna let it slide. I aint mad at you tongue
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Gamine(f): 5:51pm On Feb 27, 2007
True talk TOH

American Football is soo Gay lipsrsealed
i have a friend in my sch who was a football player when he was in high school in the States

He totally confirmed it embarassed
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sharetroll(m): 6:03pm On Feb 27, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

Lol, are you just being a full troll this time, sharetroll because I can't take this topic seriously undecided

American football is the gayest sport ever and how can you complain about the violence there when there are sports like hockey??

HAHAHAHA, DLOL. . . . .You talk about violence. . . .What about the soccer player who got hammered in in the head b/c they were discussing KARAOKE

LMAO, You know how many riots goes on during Soccer games for the littliest thing. . . .VLOL, Talk about violence.

Only in Soccer do you get a SportsCenter Top 10 play where a guy misses a shot. What a sport.

There goes the little girl flexing her internet muscles.

Again, I will say soccer is pathetic. I also forgot to mention Ireland and the hooligans. How many folks do these guys beat up every game?

People were getting mad about the allstar game in Vegas being violent? Virtually every soccer game ouside of the US is more violent than that.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by sharetroll(m): 6:28pm On Feb 27, 2007
Gamine:

True talk TOH

American Football is soo Gay lipsrsealed
i have a friend in my sch who was a football player when he was in high school in the States

He totally confirmed it embarassed

So one person (your friend) is the determining factor here. WOW
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Gamine(f): 7:30pm On Feb 27, 2007
yeah i guess its grdbreaking for u Troll tongue
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 7:55pm On Feb 27, 2007
all star games were getting violent? Cant say Im surprised. I remember the whole Ron Atest crap.

Care to give me a link showing violence that happened ON the field of any of the World Cup 06 games.

Thanks.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by rikkyjen(m): 8:16pm On Feb 27, 2007
Americans love the "double score" game, i.e Football, Basketball. Their resentment for soccer is appalling. If you are a mom and you drive your kid to the soccer stadia, you will be labelled a "soccer mom".lol. such an appellation!. Americans always love towing their way.them be master of deviation. Hispanics are the ones who constitute the bulk of the soccer fans.

The koko is that the NFL superbowl can't even stand near the FIFA worldcup in terms of fanbase, profts,viewership.Infact NFL would even go out of its way in contesting with UEFA
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:21pm On Feb 27, 2007
rikkyjen:

. Their resentment for soccer is appalling.

seriously

and I never understood the whole "soccer mom" crap either.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by OmoEko1(f): 8:27pm On Feb 27, 2007
I like soccer better you always understand it but American football is so confusing
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 9:36pm On Feb 27, 2007
rikkyjen:

The koko is that the NFL superbowl can't even stand near the FIFA worldcup in terms of fanbase, profts,viewership.Infact NFL would even go out of its way in contesting with UEFA

Of course it would draw more in those areas. What other pro sports does Italy have? Greece? Mexico?  Brazil? Australia? Germany? Russia? . . . and any number of those other podunk countries? Some of those countries try to play other sports but when their players get good enough to compete they come to the good ol'USA.

Soccer is a pathetic sport played by pathetic no income people who can't afford anything but a soccerball. A sport can not be taken seriously when a countries citizens will go out and kill the goalie for their team because he let a team score on him. How many fans and players die every year from soccer? How many other sports actually require a rule and have a penalty against rascism?

How many times have you seen an American sporting event have people chucking bottles and road flares at players heads and NOT getting ejected, in the USA you would be arrested for assault and whatever else they can think to charge their punkasses.

CORAL GABLED
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Radiant(f): 9:45pm On Feb 27, 2007
What we know in Europe is "FOOTBALL"! Way better and Americans too are beginning to get involved. Ask LA Galaxy and Beckham, they'll tell you more wink
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by rikkyjen(m): 9:58pm On Feb 27, 2007
trollremix:

Of course it would draw more in those areas. What other pro sports does Italy have? Greece? Mexico?  Brazil? Australia? Germany? Russia? . . . and any number of those other podunk countries? Some of those countries try to play other sports but when their players get good enough to compete they come to the good ol'USA.

Soccer is a pathetic sport played by pathetic no income people who can't afford anything but a soccerball. A sport can not be taken seriously when a countries citizens will go out and kill the goalie for their team because he let a team score on him. How many fans and players die every year from soccer? How many other sports actually require a rule and have a penalty against rascism?

How many times have you seen an American sporting event have people chucking bottles and road flares at players heads and NOT getting ejected, in the USA you would be arrested for assault and whatever else they can think to charge their punkasses.

CORAL GABLED

Another NFL apologist wink smiley
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 10:24pm On Feb 27, 2007
LMAO @ Radiants comment. Americans getting involved? I don't think that comes into play when a group of 12 year boys decide what to do on a summer day. They are going to play whatever is the most fun.  And is isn't soccer. 

I think about it in this manner. . .How many times do I drive around the campus and see pickup games? I see basketball most often.  But I also see baseball and football. Once in a great while, I will see soccer but it's very rare.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:31pm On Feb 27, 2007
looks like someone forgot about the whole Ron Atest, Ben Wallace blah blah crap that happened last year
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Badman888(m): 10:34pm On Feb 27, 2007
American football just group of guys running with ball and hugging themselves,

No body can still explain why it is called "football" when they run around with the ball in their hands and hardly use their foot. If you are an american saying its better than soccer i dont blame you its the society you grew up in.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 11:01pm On Feb 27, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

looks like someone forgot about the whole Ron Atest, Ben Wallace blah blah crap that happened last year

Ron Artest & Ben Wallace plays BASKETBALL. This is NOT a BASKETBALL thread. And I think the media draws a bad image in the NBA b/c of it's pre-dominantly black player population. If one little brawl gets loose, the NBA is seen as a "thuggish league", while Hockey players have little skirmishes day-in, day-out w/ the media a little lenient on them. . .Ron Atest, LOL
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 11:05pm On Feb 27, 2007
Badman888:

American football just group of guys running with ball and hugging themselves,

No body can still explain why it is called "football" when they run around with the ball in their hands and hardly use their foot. If you are an american saying its better than soccer i don't blame you its the society you grew up in.

LOL, When you've got games that are 1-0, and many of those games are decided by people throwing themselves to the ground to draw a foul (heck that is the whole strategy of Portugal) no thanks, I'll watch another sport.

Soccer skill set: shooting a ball and falling (aka flopping) *exaggeration needed*
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 11:21pm On Feb 27, 2007
rikkyjen:

Another NFL apologist wink smiley

Your post cannot be reasonably addressed in the manner it was intended.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by Seyi16(m): 11:54pm On Feb 27, 2007
I think american football is better if u undastand it and it depends on hu ur watchin coz if u watchin crap teams like arsenal, man u and chelsea den its rubbish but if ur watching teams like tottenham then its great.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by LoverBwoy(m): 12:09am On Feb 28, 2007
Is american football really a sport compared to football?!?!

You actually wear all the protective clothing there is, you wear metal helmet, you wear some funny thing to cover you groin, you wear something to make your bum look bigger, you wear paint on you face, you wear gloves , you wear a big metal bra, you wear gum shield, you wear like 100 piece of this and that just for a game  shocked then you stop every 3 minutes just to take energy drink ahhhhh thank goodness it only happens in america

Imagine the kicker comes unto the pitch when there's a penalty then leaves afterwards  bloody hell don't they otehrs have legs or what??
The the QB is not on the field when their team is on the defensive  lipsrsealed
the only sport apart from sumo wrestling that encourages players to gain weight  undecided

The fact that the game is played in america alone tells you something  cheesy

Ps: i like watching american football sometimes even though i see more commercial/advert than the game
i like watching the highlights, just touchdowns and big bad tackles  grin
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by trollremix(m): 1:26am On Feb 28, 2007
LoverBwoy:

Is american football really a sport compared to football?!?!

You actually wear all the protective clothing there is, you wear metal helmet, you wear some funny thing to cover you groin, you wear something to make your bum look bigger, you wear paint on you face, you wear gloves , you wear a big metal bra, you wear gum shield, you wear like 100 piece of this and that just for a game  shocked then you stop every 3 minutes just to take energy drink ahhhhh thank goodness it only happens in america

Imagine the kicker comes unto the pitch when there's a penalty then leaves afterwards  bloody hell don't they otehrs have legs or what??
The the QB is not on the field when their team is on the defensive  lipsrsealed
the only sport apart from sumo wrestling that encourages players to gain weight  undecided

The fact that the game is played in america alone tells you something  cheesy

Ps: i like watching american football sometimes even though i see more commercial/advert than the game
i like watching the highlights, just touchdowns and big bad tackles  grin

Are you implying NFL players are not as tough? Emmitt Smith played w/ a seperated shoulder for most of his career w/ the Cowboys. . . .Junior Seau suffered a wrist injury, waiving to fans while being sidelined. . . . .Ronnie Lott ask the doctor if he can cut his pinky off, so he can continue his NFL career. That is being tough. Just b/c they have a protective gear doesn't mean these players are not tough.

Why shouldn't players have energy drinks. Do you know how many players have died on the field b/c of dehydration? Your arguements are not coherent & your logic is definately flawed.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by LoverBwoy(m): 1:34am On Feb 28, 2007
arguments? those are banters; friendly from my side i don't know about you but taking pot shots at the American sport is a hobby over here grin

How comes you are the only country that play the sport even rugby have a better following than NFL
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 1:54am On Feb 28, 2007
First of all let me say I'm american. (dad from liberia). Second of all let me say I LOVE american football! I was born and raised to love it and it is a lot more complicated than soccer. Some of you say it takes no skill, but why would you say this? There is a reason that american football is the second most demanding sport besides boxing in the world
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:32am On Feb 28, 2007
troll, it's not a basketball thread but since you continue to whine about the brawls , I figured I could show you that football isnt the only one known for brawls. You still havent given me a link of any fights that happened on the field at World Cup 2006

shsonline:

There is a reason that american football is the second most demanding sport besides boxing in the world

what delusional world is this?

and loverboy, you are right about their retarded use of so much protection yet these are the same people that call "soccer" a "sissy" sport *rolls eyes*
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by shsonline(m): 2:41am On Feb 28, 2007
Espn did a study on all sports according to which sport takes the most mental ability, stamina, muscle strength, uses the most body parts and body coordination. Boxing was the most athletically demanding sport, followed by american football.

And who said soccer was for sissys? I respect the best soccer players, they obviously have talent. (thierry henrys my boy) but american football>>>soccer.
Re: American Football Is Better Than Soccer! by zebudaya(m): 2:50am On Feb 28, 2007
shsoline it's Football not soccer. what the hell is soccer? soccer is what women and kids play in the U.S when you're ready to watch real football go to Old trafford in England. What are you talking about athletically demanding? with all their protective padding and helmets. American football offense comes in defense goes out. It gives them a chance to rest after 3 downs. can you run for 90 minutes? You should have said rugby then i may, just might agree with you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Troost-Ekong Wins Promotion To EPL With Watford / 2023 Women’s World Cup: FIFA Backtracks From $49,000000 Promise To Women Players / Juventus Wins Ninth Consecutive Serie A Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.