Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,900 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month (5963 Views)

FIRS Generates N66bn From Stamp Duties In 5 Months / N50 Stamp Duties POS Charge Begins / FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by Truth234(m): 6:51am On Jul 13, 2017
The Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Operations Unit, Zone A, Ikeja, said that it recovered unpaid duties amounting to N229.9m between June 13 and July 10.

The announcement was made by the command’s controller, Mohammed Garba, during a media briefing in his office on Wednesday.
Garba, who was posted to the FOU in May, also said that the command recorded a total seizure of smuggled items worth N200.10m between June and July, following its anti-smuggling campaign.

He said, “I am happy to mention some of our achievements in the fight against smuggling. After a series of meetings with my field officers, reviewing our operational strategies to meet up with the current trend of smuggling, we have intercepted contraband with a duty paid value of N200.99m from June 13 to July 10.

“In the same vein, the unit through our interventions recovered N28.95m from duty payments and demand notices on general goods that tried to outsmart our officers at seaports, airport and border stations through wrong classification, transfer of value, and short-change in duty payment.

“The cumulative total of this recovery is N229.95 making it another spectacular breakthrough in anti-smuggling operation under my watch.”

According to the FOU controller, 15 suspects were arrested in connection with 40 different seizures within the period comprising vegetable oil, foreign parboiled rice, frozen poultry, smuggled vehicles, medicaments, used tyres, and other goods.

Garba said that the command intercepted 1,442 cartons of Tramadol 225/120mg in a container along Apapa-Oshodi and Ijebu Ode expressways, adding that the drugs would be handed over to the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control for further investigation.

He added that seven containers whose owners had contravened Customs law by means of false declaration and breach of import prohibition list by trade were also intercepted.

He disclosed that three of the containers carried 5,014 pieces of used tyres, used fridges and used double electric burners, while the remaining ones carried 499 cartons of Eva soap as against poultry incubator allegedly declared in the Single Goods Declaration form by the importer.

On Tuesday, the FOU boss said the command intercepted one DAF Truck with Registration No DAL 543 ZX, carrying 1,200 cartoons of smuggled poultry along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway as well as a container conveying 400 bales of second-hand clothes.

Garba sought for the cooperation of everyone in the fight against smuggling, adding that it could only be won with all hands on deck.

“You will agree with me that the fight against smuggling can only be won if all hands are on deck. The commitment, doggedness, resilience and diligence of the officers and men of the FOU A for foiling the antics of smugglers who used different methods for concealment cannot be over emphasised,” he stated.

http://investorsking.com/customs-recover-n229-9m-unpaid-duties-in-one-month/

1 Like

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by gbegemaster(m): 6:58am On Jul 13, 2017
When are we auctioning the smuggled poultry?

5 Likes

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by Fantastic2m(m): 7:15am On Jul 13, 2017
Lemme take this to my pastor we are praying wrong.
Bye

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by LoveJesus87(m): 7:16am On Jul 13, 2017
Ole gbe, Ole gba (thief carry am, thief collect am) The Nigerian Customs are even worse than the Nigerian police.

1 Like

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by obicentlis: 7:17am On Jul 13, 2017
When Custom tells u that the recover or cease in millions, then be rest assured that the unreported runs in billions.

5 Likes

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by LoveJesus87(m): 7:17am On Jul 13, 2017
gbegemaster:
When are we auctioning the smuggled poultry?
Abi o

3 Likes

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by Wisdombankxz: 7:17am On Jul 13, 2017
Same Story everyday.. The looted loot recovered by the lootee will still go back to the looter .

We Nigerians are no more kids.

meanwhile I have active 11k plus followers instagram page for sale .
99% Nigerians.
Niche = Fashion and Lifestyle

Call/whatsapp 08084334575 for biz.
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by jashar(f): 7:17am On Jul 13, 2017
Where does the money go to and what is it used for?

3 Likes

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by aykevictor789(m): 7:18am On Jul 13, 2017
Lubbish publicity stunt

1 Like

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by brainpulse: 7:18am On Jul 13, 2017
This is exactly what PDP, wailers and IPod's do not want. They wanted the embezzlement and economy destruction of the country to continue.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:18am On Jul 13, 2017
Ok
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by ibrak90(m): 7:18am On Jul 13, 2017
We have yeard....
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by NwaNimo1(m): 7:19am On Jul 13, 2017
Recovering unpaid duties........ sounds more like hijacking.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by jargaban: 7:19am On Jul 13, 2017
Recover and loot it.
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by mikool007(m): 7:20am On Jul 13, 2017
Ok
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by NwaAmaikpe: 7:23am On Jul 13, 2017
shocked
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by GeneralOjukwu: 7:25am On Jul 13, 2017

Very well said. The Custom guys would be smiling to the bank while the Culprits would be ruing their losses in billions.

Price of soap has really increased, they should donate the Eva and chicken to IDPs

obicentlis:
When Custom tells u that the recover or cease in millions, then be rest assured that the unreported runs in billions.

2 Likes

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by LoveJesus87(m): 7:25am On Jul 13, 2017
K
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by Khd95(m): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2017
brainpulse:
This is exactly what PDP, wailers and IPod's do not want. They wanted the embezzlement and economy destruction of the country to continue.
[quote author=brainpulse post=58402917]how much are u paid,daily,weekly,or monthly

1 Like

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 13, 2017
Its my birthday oo. Show some love friends
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by refreshrate: 7:33am On Jul 13, 2017
jashar:
Where does the money go to and what is it used for?

That my good sir is the 229m naira question.

1 Like

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by SoberDisciple(m): 7:34am On Jul 13, 2017
This amount is too insignificant to be considered an achievement compare to the amount leaders loot.
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by chuksjuve(m): 7:37am On Jul 13, 2017
ok
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by refreshrate: 7:38am On Jul 13, 2017
brainpulse:

Continue you hear?
Bank interest rate has risen to 31% of course the trickle down effect will be coming soon to a house near you it's IPOd and PDP that is your own consign.

All these "mummy you've not given me my pocket money" people forming opinion on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by Dutchey(m): 7:40am On Jul 13, 2017
how does this reduce the price of 1 bottle of kerosene?

1 Like

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by ThinkWISELY(m): 7:45am On Jul 13, 2017

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:46am On Jul 13, 2017
I'm sure it's more Dan dat cos there is big corruption in custom
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by soflygerian(m): 7:50am On Jul 13, 2017
oluseyiforjesus:
I'm sure it's more Dan dat cos there is big corruption in custom
Even if they recover 1trillion in a month you will still complain.. Learn how to appreciate progress....
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:55am On Jul 13, 2017
soflygerian:
Even if they recover 1trillion in a month you will still complain.. Learn how to appreciate progress....
thank you Mr Appreciation

1 Like

Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by SplendidE(f): 8:00am On Jul 13, 2017
This is my first comment this morning n today and I just want to appreciate the name of the lord for the gift of a bright new day.
Thank you lord.
Re: Customs Recover N229.9m Unpaid Duties In One Month by chukxie(m): 8:02am On Jul 13, 2017
Nonsense. We hear of money being recovered in Nigeria on daily basis but we never see how such recovered money is used to better the lives of the ordinary masses. F.ucking country!

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Buy And Sell Online For A Living. Am Here To Answer Your Questions. / SPECIAL TRAINING: How To Start A Smart E-commerce Business Plus Digital Skills / Are You An Agent To Any Of These Betting Company Please Share Ur Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.