Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs (1956 Views)

Top 6 Reasons Your Check Engine Light May Be On And Also Blinking / 5 Ways Nigerians Can Save Money On Car Repairs / Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 14, 2017
cheesy
When your check-engine light appears, don’t ignore it. If you postpone repairs, you risk additional damage that can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars to fix. So, if you see the check-engine light come on, make an appointment with your mechanic promptly.

The annual cost for car repairs is on the rise. After two flat years, overall car repair costs rose 2.7 percent in 2016. Labor costs spiked 4.7 percent and parts climbed 1.4 percent.

The cost analysis by CarMD, based on data from 2016, also lists the main problems that can make your check-engine light go on. Keep reading to see which 10 car problems are most likely to trigger a check-engine-light warning.

http://www.bankrate.com/auto/top-10-check-engine-light-car-repairs/#slide=10

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 14, 2017
Number one
Average repair cost: $258.63

For the seventh year in a row, oxygen sensor malfunctions remain the most common car repair, accounting for 8 percent of fixes in 2016. The so-called O2 sensor can fail as a result of neglecting car repairs, engine issues such as internal leaks or burning oil, or simply from using gas with a higher concentration of ethanol.

Because the sensor works with the car’s on-board computer to create the fuel-to-air ratio, a malfunction can result in as much as a 40 percent drop in fuel economy and affect performance. The average cost of the repair decreased $10 from the prior year.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 14, 2017
Number two
Average repair cost: $1,190.18

Catalytic converter troubles are the second-most common issue drivers face and are such a problem because these parts won’t fail unless there is an underlying problem, such as with a spark plug or ignition coil, or both. It represented 6.75 percent of repairs in 2016. This is the most expensive repair in the top 10 by far.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 14, 2017
Average repair cost: $16.88

Drivers are getting the message that a gas cap that is loose, missing or damaged can trigger the check engine warning and allows gas to evaporate. This problem accounted for 4.16 percent of repairs in 2016. Tightening a loose gas cap is free, but expect to spend about $15 if the cap needs to be replaced.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 14, 2017
A malfunctioning mass air flow sensor (MAF) accounted for 3.84 percent of the repairs in 2016. Problems with the MAF can result in a 10 percent to 25 percent decrease in fuel economy, since it’s the MAF that measures the air coming into the engine and calculates how much fuel to inject.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 14, 2017
Replacing the ignition coil or coils (some cars have more than one) accounted for 3.44 percent of the repairs in this year’s study, remaining in the same place as last year. Ignition coils can malfunction due to high under-hood temperatures and the overall age. Pay attention to problems, as ignition coil failures can cause other problems, including with the pricey catalytic converter.
Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 14, 2017
Replacing spark plugs and wires now represents 3.13 percent of repairs. Replacing a spark plug can cost just $10 if you do it yourself, but drivers spend $331 on average to have spark plugs and spark plug wires replaced by a technician. When these items fail, they can cause the engine to misfire and your gas mileage to decline. Ignoring the problem can result in permanent damage to your car’s expensive catalytic converter.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 14, 2017
Replacing the evaporative emissions (EVAP) purge control valve represents 2.92 percent of check-engine-light repairs. This valve prevents vapors from the gas tank from being released into the atmosphere and channels them into a charcoal canister to be burned in the engine. Over time, the valve sticks and often needs to be replaced.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:24am On Jul 14, 2017
Replacing the thermostat represents 2.91 percent of repairs. A car’s thermostat regulates the engine’s temperature by opening and closing to regulate the flow of coolant. If the coolant isn’t changed as recommended, or the car itself is driven in extreme temperatures or in an acidic environment, corrosion can occur, causing it to fail prematurely.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 14, 2017
Replacing the evaporative emissions (EVAP) purge solenoid represents 2.52 percent of all repairs. Like the purge control valve (No. cool, the solenoid is part of the car’s EVAP system, controlling how much fuel vapor escapes into the atmosphere. It is controlled by the engine control module or powertrain control module and typically needs replacing when it starts to fail and is left partially open.

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by DaimlerBen(m): 10:39am On Jul 14, 2017
SmartChoices:
Number two
Average repair cost: $1,190.18

Catalytic converter troubles are the second-most common issue drivers face and are such a problem because these parts won’t fail unless there is an underlying problem, such as with a spark plug or ignition coil, or both. It represented 6.75 percent of repairs in 2016. This is the most expensive repair in the top 10 by far.
Nna mehn, see reflection, no wonder it's more than $1k.
Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by mikotek(m): 1:27pm On Jul 15, 2017
In Nigeria, due to bad road conditions, repairing the car legs (the joints, thyroid, shock absorbers etc) will top the list.
Meanwhile my car consumes too much fuel. I've tried many things but its not getting any better

1 Like

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 15, 2017
mikotek:
In Nigeria, due to bad road conditions, repairing the car legs (the joints, thyroid, shock absorbers etc) will top the list.
Meanwhile my car consumes too much fuel. I've tried many things but its not getting any better
What kind of car... Problem may be as simple as a wrong specs of spark plugs
Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by mikotek(m): 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2017
SmartChoices:
Number one
Average repair cost: $258.63

For the seventh year in a row, oxygen sensor malfunctions remain the most common car repair, accounting for 8 percent of fixes in 2016. The so-called O2 sensor can fail as a result of neglecting car repairs, engine issues such as internal leaks or burning oil, or simply from using gas with a higher concentration of ethanol.

Because the sensor works with the car’s on-board computer to create the fuel-to-air ratio, a malfunction can result in as much as a 40 percent drop in fuel economy and affect performance. The average cost of the repair decreased $10 from the prior year.
Please how do one know if the oxygen sensor is bad
Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by mikotek(m): 2:21pm On Jul 15, 2017
SmartChoices:

What kind of car... Problem may be as simple as a wrong specs of spark plugs
Its Toyota Carina 2. I've changed the spark plugs, serviced the injector, change the nozzles. My mechanic told me that there is no catalytic converter in the exhaust, I don't know whether that's the reason
Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 15, 2017
mikotek:

Its Toyota Carina 2. I've changed the spark plugs, serviced the injector, change the nozzles. My mechanic told me that there is no catalytic converter in the exhaust, I don't know whether that's the reason
Bros I am not a mechanic. Please find one boy called Gazzuzz... He has a thread where he conducts his bidness... properly when he's not arrogant

2 Likes

Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by timifakay(m): 7:08am On Jul 16, 2017
mikotek:

Year of manufacture please?
To know if it's OBD2 compliant.
Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by mikotek(m): 7:35pm On Jul 16, 2017
timifakay:

Year of manufacture please?
To know if it's OBD2 compliant.
I don't know of the year of manufacture. But it's automatic transmission
Re: Top Check-engine-light Car Repairs by SmartchoiceNGR: 7:54pm On Jul 16, 2017
mikotek:

I don't know of the year of manufacture. But it's automatic transmission
Post pictures

(1) (Reply)

Ford Edge Vs. Infiniti FX35 / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Driverless/Self Driving Cars / Cheapest 2020 Cars To Buy From 4 Million Naira In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.