Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,243 members, 7,953,921 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:56 AM

Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On (13843 Views)

7 Top Reasons Why You Should Frequently Service Your Car / Top 5 Reasons Why Your Car’s Check Engine Light May Be On / Top 6 Reasons Your Check Engine Light May Be On And Also Blinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by Autofreeman: 10:42am On Feb 11, 2017
If your check engine light is on, there’s a good chance it’s for one of these 10 reasons.

Autofreeman.com.ng

9. Faulty Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Purge Solenoid
The purge solenoid is part of the car’s EVAP system and helps control how much fuel vapor escapes into the atmosphere from the car. The purge solenoid is controlled by the engine control module or powertrain control module and operates on a duty cycle and could be partially left open.

8. Faulty Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Purge Control Valve
The purge control valve is part of the car’s EVAP system, and when the engine is running and fully warmed up, the engine computer gradually opens the purge valve to allow some of the fuel vapor to be moved from the charcoal canister to be burned in the engine. If the purge flow is monitored as more or less than expected by the engine’s computer, the check engine light will come on. The purge valves can also get stuck, causing a need to be replaced.

7. Faulty Spark Plug Wire(s) and Spark Plug(s)
Responsible for igniting a car’s air/fuel charge or mixture, faulty spark plug wires and/or spark plugs can cause a “misfire,” reducing gas mileage and potentially damaging the car’s catalytic converter. In areas with cold weather, fuel doesn’t vaporize as easily, so droplets can form and foul a spark plug. Spark plugs are relatively cheap to replace yourself, costing around N3000-N5000 per plug.

6. Faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor
The mass air flow sensor is in charge of metering the air coming into your car’s engine, helping determine how much fuel to inject into the engine. When the mass air flow sensor is malfunctioning, fuel economy can drop anywhere from 10 percent to 25 percent.

5. Faulty Ignition Coil(s)
Ignition coils are used to provide an ignition source for the fuel to combust in an engine. By taking the battery’s 12-volt current, ignition coils step it up to ignite the spark plugs. Like spark plug wires, several conditions can result in the failure of ignition coils, including faulty spark plugs, high engine bay temperatures and age. Vehicle owners should pay special attention since ignition coil failure could result in more issues such as damaging the car’s catalytic converter.

4. Faulty Thermostat
The thermostat is responsible for regulating the engine coolant temperature to warm and cool to ideal “operating temperature.” It essentially opens and closes as needed to regulate temperature and when a thermostat fails, if often gets stuck open. If the vehicle’s computer doesn’t see the engine coolant temperature rise to operating temperature within a certain period of time, it will illuminate the check engine light. A car’s thermostat can rust and fail if the coolant isn’t changed at recommended mileage intervals or if the vehicle is subjected to extreme temperatures.

3. faulty or loose Fuel Cap
Fuel caps proved troublesome in 2014, accounting for 7.10 percent of all repairs. Last year, it dropped to fourth place, accounting for only 3.84 percent of repairs. Missing or damaged fuel caps can cost time and money, causing the check engine light to illuminate. If left unchecked, a gas cap issue can cause reduced fuel economy and harm the environment. Luckily it’s a cheap fix.

2. Faulty Catalytic Converter
Replacing a vehicle’s catalytic converter is rather costly with an average repair cost of N40000 for the part alone. In most cases, a catalytic converter won’t fail unless a misfire occurs, which can be caused by ignoring a faulty spark plug, ignition coil or engine mechanical problem.

1. Faulty Oxygen Sensor
The most common car repair in 2015 was replacing the oxygen sensor, making up 7.01 percent of all repairs last year. The O2 sensor is extremely important to a car’s engine performance as well as to the environment, measuring the amount of unburned oxygen in the exhaust to tell a car’s computer when there is either too much, or not enough fuel as compared with oxygen for ideal operation. O2 sensors can fail prematurely for a variety of reasons, including lack of maintenance such as ignoring oil changes or engine contamination from internal coolant leaks. If ignored, a faulty O2 sensor could result in as much as a 40-percent reduction in gas mileage.

Always have your vehicle scanned so it will eliminate a lot of these reasons and point you towards the right one...

source:AutoGuide.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:05am On Feb 11, 2017
is there any reason you shouldnt check ?
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by ColeworldMD(m): 11:21am On Feb 12, 2017
Autofreeman please my CEL is on but after scanning there was no code. Please any suggestions will be welcomed.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by Autofreeman: 1:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
Good Day , please what is the year, make and model of your car?

ColeworldMD:
Autofreeman please my CEL is on but after scanning there was no code. Please any suggestions will be welcomed.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by ColeworldMD(m): 3:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
Autofreeman:
Good Day , please what is the year, make and model of your car?

2005, honda accord EOD
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by Autofreeman: 3:28pm On Feb 12, 2017
hello, if the check Engine light is on and a scan was carried out but no fault code was seen, the technician that scanned it needs to have the scanner software updated, and the vehicle scanned again.

ColeworldMD:
2005, honda accord EOD
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by honmusa(m): 5:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
[quote author=Autofreeman post=53611286]If your check engine light is on, there’s a good chance it’s for one of these 10 reasons.

Autofreeman.com.ng

The purge solenoid is part of the car’s EVAP system and helps control how much fuel vapor escapes into the atmosphere from the car. The purge solenoid is controlled by the engine control module or powertrain control module and operates on a duty cycle and could be partially left open.

The purge control valve is part of the car’s EVAP system, and when the engine is running and fully warmed up, the engine computer gradually opens the purge valve to allow some of the fuel vapor to be moved from the charcoal canister to be burned in the engine. If the purge flow is monitored as more or less than expected by the engine’s computer, the check engine light will come on. The purge valves can also get stuck, causing a need to be replaced.

Responsible for igniting a car’s air/fuel charge or mixture, faulty spark plug wires and/or spark plugs can cause a “misfire,” reducing gas mileage and potentially damaging the car’s catalytic converter. In areas with cold weather, fuel doesn’t vaporize as easily, so droplets can form and foul a spark plug. Spark plugs are relatively cheap to replace yourself, costing around N3000-N5000 per plug.

The mass air flow sensor is in charge of metering the air coming into your car’s engine, helping determine how much fuel to inject into the engine. When the mass air flow sensor is malfunctioning, fuel economy can drop anywhere from 10 percent to 25 percent.

Ignition coils are used to provide an ignition source for the fuel to combust in an engine. By taking the battery’s 12-volt current, ignition coils step it up to ignite the spark plugs. Like spark plug wires, several conditions can result in the failure of ignition coils, including faulty spark plugs, high engine bay temperatures and age. Vehicle owners should pay special attention since ignition coil failure could result in more issues such as damaging the car’s catalytic converter.

4. Faulty Thermostat
The thermostat is responsible for regulating the engine coolant temperature to warm and cool to ideal “operating temperature.” It essentially opens and closes as needed to regulate temperature and when a thermostat fails, if often gets stuck open. If the vehicle’s computer doesn’t see the engine coolant temperature rise to operating temperature within a certain period of time, it will illuminate the check engine light. A car’s thermostat can rust and fail if the coolant isn’t changed at recommended mileage intervals or if the vehicle is subjected to extreme temperatures.

Fuel caps proved troublesome in 2014, accounting for 7.10 percent of all repairs. Last year, it dropped to fourth place, accounting for only 3.84 percent of repairs. Missing or damaged fuel caps can cost time and money, causing the check engine light to illuminate. If left unchecked, a gas cap issue can cause reduced fuel economy and harm the environment. Luckily it’s a cheap fix.

Replacing a vehicle’s catalytic converter is rather costly with an average repair cost of N40000 for the part alone. In most cases, a catalytic converter won’t fail unless a misfire occurs, which can be caused by ignoring a faulty spark plug, ignition coil or engine mechanical problem.

1. Faulty Oxygen Sensor
The most common car repair in 2015 was replacing the oxygen sensor, making up 7.01 percent of all repairs last year. The O2 sensor is extremely important to a car’s engine performance as well as to the environment, measuring the amount of unburned oxygen in the exhaust to tell a car’s computer when there is either too much, or not enough fuel as compared with oxygen for ideal operation. O2 sensors can fail prematurely for a variety of reasons, including lack of maintenance such as ignoring oil changes or engine contamination from internal coolant leaks. If ignored, a faulty O2 sensor could result in as much as a 40-percent reduction in gas mileage.

Always have your vehicle scanned so it will eliminate a lot of these reasons and point you towards the right one...

[/

1 Like

Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by ColeworldMD(m): 5:15pm On Feb 12, 2017
Autofreeman:
hello, if the check Engine light is on and a scan was carried out but no fault code was seen, the technician that scanned it needs to have the scanner software updated, and the vehicle scanned again.

okay thanks for your assistance
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by real51: 6:51am On Feb 13, 2017
belavivian111:
cashclubnigeria.com

This is how it works .....
*You PH 5k to get 20k
*You PH 10k to get 40k
*You PH 20 to get 80k
*You PH 30k to get 180k
*You PH 50k to get 400k
*You PH 100k to get 1m

*REQUIREMENTS*
1. Functional Mobile banking/internet banking.
2. Active/valid phone number.
3. PH fee is N5,000

Click here to join. cashclubnigeria.com

*KINDLY FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS TO PH*
Step 1 = Click on Menu to display the Menu Options
Step 2 = Click On Join to Register
Step 3 = Fill out the form with your right detail
Step 4 = Fill in the CAPTCHA code, re-check the form and Click the join button
Step 5 = Go back to the Menu and Click on login to input your Username and password to login into your account.
NOTE : after you have been a Member you only have. 24hrs to purchase a donation,
Step 6 = On the left side of the Platform Click on Payment info to input your Bank Account Details and Phone number, re type your password and Click on Update to save your Account details
Step 7 = Click My Positions on the Menu list to purchase, Level 1 is #5,000 and you Click on Donate .. the system will Automatically Merged you with someone to pay to, contact the person and arrange on payment to him/her. withing 24 hours
NOTE : After making the payment make your you call the person to Approve your payment from his/her account so you can get paid by 4 people withing 48 hours
NOTE: If delay of Merging someone with you withing 48 hours, you should go ahead to (STEP cool
Step 8 = Click on Promotional Center, copy your Referral link and send out to friends and family to get your Quick payment
Click here to register .cashclubnigeria.com
Whatsapp group. : https:///KQA9Y4gnVdtFQpBgU0hBQm

Scammers 419 idiot

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by sakalisis(m): 6:57am On Feb 13, 2017
cool
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by olaezebala: 7:04am On Feb 13, 2017
make i ask Kale why mine de on after servicing just 5 months ago.

Boy yen to gba mi.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by kingvectorv(m): 7:16am On Feb 13, 2017
Make i dey learn, so that when i buy my bugatti i go dey implement all this una car tutorial
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by ifeanyi83(m): 7:23am On Feb 13, 2017
Most cars on our roads have their "check engine" light on...
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by dayleke: 7:25am On Feb 13, 2017
Nice one
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by cardoctor(m): 7:31am On Feb 13, 2017
A million and one reasons for it to be on. The best thing to do is to get your car scanned by a qualified professional auto technician like me.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 7:32am On Feb 13, 2017
Mine disappeared after the oxygen sensor was changed.
Most kazeems will tell u that it's normal for the check engine light to come on... That it means ur engine is alive... grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by femi4: 7:40am On Feb 13, 2017
Our Kazeems can't fix check engine issues....we just have to drive it like that and replace the engine after few yrs
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by MARKone(m): 8:40am On Feb 13, 2017
mine goes on and off, but stays off most of the time, do i need to be worried. Nice info by the way.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by hysteriabox(m): 8:50am On Feb 13, 2017
Wow. Nice read.

My check engine light never came on, but I drove my isuzu trooper into a very terrible site terrain and my O2 sensor broke. All I noticed was the massive fuel consumption- up to 40-50%. I got really worried as it was drilling into my budget so bad (I needed like N4k fuel each day to go to and fro, but after the malfunction, N6K couldn't even take me there not to mention bringing me back home). My mechs showed their incompetence by speaking grammar. Finally I asked google and I saw the problem. Lol
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by TRAY2(m): 8:56am On Feb 13, 2017
Mine is the low oil pressure light, it usually blinks,thinking of taking the car for a scan tho.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by kachi08(m): 9:01am On Feb 13, 2017
Please sir, I have Toyota corolla 2005 and that check engine light has been showing for like three weeks now. I want to mechanic to service the but was told there is no problem with the car. Please advise me and I need your address. Thanks.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by justhenry(m): 9:09am On Feb 13, 2017
That "check engine" sign on the dashboard was showing on my Toyota Avalon 2002, a simple scan and replacement of the oxygen sensor cleared it. car is smooth and running without any foreign sign.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 13, 2017
real51:

Scammers 419 idiot
seconded, but baaastaaard not ediot
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by Chynx(m): 9:39am On Feb 13, 2017
Autofreeman:
If your check engine light is on, there’s a good chance it’s for one of these 10 reasons.

Autofreeman.com.ng

4. Faulty Thermostat

1. Faulty Oxygen Sensor

I use a 2005 Toyota Prado (VX). The issue I'm currently having is that it now consumes too much fuel and often drags or tutters while trying to accelerate. Sometimes, it fails to respond when I try to rev. It just continues to run on idle mode until I turn off the engine and crank it up again.

I've had the injector nozzles serviced and the fuel filter in the engine compartment, washed. I noticed a slight improvement which lasted for just a couple of days...then back to same ol'behaviour.

Please sir, I need your advise on what to do.

Thanks.

Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by greggng: 10:14am On Feb 13, 2017
kachi08:
Please sir, I have Toyota corolla 2005 and that check engine light has been showing for like three weeks now. I want to mechanic to service the but was told there is no problem with the car. Please advise me and I need your address. Thanks.

That mechanic might be incompetent one. When you re ready and willing to visit ayobo I willl personally take u to my mechanic to help u scan and fix whatever that is responsible for that check engine. It could be faulty o2 censor it could be ur caterlyst convertter is bad. If the check engine is blinking, it could be the injector nosssles. Requires serving. I am not an expert but my mechanic always show me the code and he fixes mine by replacing in one of the above trigering it. After scanning he normally insert another program that will bring out ur car diagram on his lapptop and from their he will educate on the faults

1 Like

Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by Simeony007(m): 11:06am On Feb 13, 2017
ColeworldMD:
2005, honda accord EOD

Because it's End of Discussion that's why there is no solution to its problem. Next problem please.

1 Like

Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by jesse8048(m): 11:19am On Feb 13, 2017
Autofreeman:

Autofreeman.com.ng

4. Faulty Thermostat

1. Faulty Oxygen Sensor

Bros, I replaced the half and top of my 2000 Nissan primera engine in August 2016. I used mobile engine oil. Since that August till now, d color is nt yet black, it's slightly dark(brownish). Shud I change d oil and filter since it's getting to 6months.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by kelechiodo(m): 11:57am On Feb 13, 2017
These quack mechanics. I always know that Check Enigine light is a problem. But these mechanics in Nsukka here, almost all that I visited told me that it means that brian box light is working. cheesy That whenever the light goes off, then my brain box needs replacement. shocked
I always smile at them. I sincerely hope to meet a good one either here in Nsukka or Enugu town that can actually detect the problem.
Re: Top Reasons Why Your Car Check Engine Light Is On by Autofreeman: 12:45pm On Feb 13, 2017
you should always service your car every 3000km or every 3 months depending on driving condition...

jesse8048:

Bros, I replaced the half and top of my 2000 Nissan primera engine in August 2016. I used mobile engine oil. Since that August till now, d color is nt yet black, it's slightly dark(brownish). Shud I change d oil and filter since it's getting to 6months.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car Maintenance: 5 Useful Tips Every Car Owner Should Know About / Durable Suv / I'm 17 Can I Get My Drivers License???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.