Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Google Deploys Biotechnology To Eradicate Mosquitoes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Google Deploys Biotechnology To Eradicate Mosquitoes (561 Views)

COVID-19: FG Deploys Nigerian Researchers To Search For Cure / Bill Gates Reveals Why He Really, Really Hates Mosquitoes / Mosquitoes Are Our Friends, Stop Killing Them - UNILORIN Professor Decries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Deploys Biotechnology To Eradicate Mosquitoes by Frankenstein: 12:44pm On Jul 15, 2017
This biotechnology could alleviate the Malaria burden in Nigeria. Why hasn't it been tried here?

Verily, the life science’s arm of Google’s parent company Alphabet, has hatched a plan to release about 20 million lab-made, bacteria-infected mosquitoes upon Fresno, California — and that’s a good thing!

You see, the Zika-carrying Aedes aegypti mosquito is prevalent in the area. Earlier this year, a woman contracted the first confirmed case of Zika in Fresno through sexual contact with a partner who had been travelling. Now there’s the fear of the inevitable mosquito-meets-patient if we don’t do something about it. Verily’s plan, called the Debug Project, hopes to now wipe out this potential Zika-carrying mosquito population to prevent further infections.

Could messing with the mosquito population have some unforeseen disastrous consequences? Not likely. This particular mosquito species entered the area in 2013. So what’s the plan to get rid of them? Verily’s male mosquitoes were infected with the Wolbachia bacteria, which is harmless to humans, but when they mate with and infect their female counterparts, it makes their eggs unable to produce offspring.

https:///4i184m
Re: Google Deploys Biotechnology To Eradicate Mosquitoes by NevetsIbot(m): 12:50pm On Jul 15, 2017
They should just come with something that will make mosquitoes extinct

Since I only get sick when mosquitoes bite me..... Eradicating mosquitoes will launch me Into a world of healthy living.
Re: Google Deploys Biotechnology To Eradicate Mosquitoes by Frankenstein: 1:00pm On Jul 15, 2017
NevetsIbot:
They should just come with something that will make mosquitoes extinct

Since I only get sick when mosquitoes bite me..... Eradicating mosquitoes will launch me Into a world of healthy living.
This technology could do that. It has been in existence for long. Brazil is using it to fight Zika virus too.

I just don't know why Africa isn't catching up.
Re: Google Deploys Biotechnology To Eradicate Mosquitoes by NevetsIbot(m): 1:08pm On Jul 15, 2017
Frankenstein:
This technology could do that. It has been in existence for long. Brazil is using it to fight Zika virus too.

I just don't know why Africa isn't catching up.
as long as it has nothing to do with corruption.... Cos t Africans out..... Stupiiid leaders

(1) (Reply)

2 Way Output Dual Use Digital Therapy Acupuncture Full Body Massage Machine / Health / Shocking! Fifteen Teens Treated For Rabies After Gang Raping A Donkey In Morocco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.