Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Religion Of Silence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Of Silence (814 Views)

Why Won't They Break The Code Of Silence? / The Religion Of Islam / What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Of Silence by manikal: 7:38pm On Jul 15, 2017
Various masters across the religions of the world have all dissected this very topic , building schools , creeds and even dogmas over this very phenomenon which is not only Omnipresent but free and easily accessible to all regardless of Name , Age , Tribe or Religion.

Whether atheist , theist , deist or any of the new facades on ground , the 3 things we can all agree on is that ;

1) We exist right NOW [ this is my NOW , whenever you read this is also your NOW ] as awareness. Awareness means knowing yourself in a present continuous tense.

2) We have a physical body which is constantly kept alive by a process called breathing.

3) We are also aware of a brain in our heads which not only generates thought but has a voice that talks to us so far we are awake. This is usually called the Ego or Mind or thinking process.
No single activity is done without the input of this voice or thought. It is that voice reading this information to you right now. Observe the quality of this voice as you read this. How does it sound to your ears? [This alone is satori]

Now , a lot of ancient masters and distinguished personalities have shown that man has the capacity to do more. From Jesus to Buddha, Krishna, Hermes and the great Albert Einstein.
Some came specifically to propound divine wisdom [Buddha , Krishnamurti, Hermes, Einstein,] while others came to propound Divine Love [Jesus, Dalai Lama, Ramana Maharshi, Socrates].
Looking at this list provokes a deep reverence for the potential of man.
The problem though , seems to be with the unlocking of this potential.

Observing the lives of these great personalities , we find one golden thread that runs across all of them.
They were/are all men of great silence and happiness , always pointing to an higher intelligence behind the visible effects we call matter.
One of them even went further than others and called this great intelligence ''Father''. Call it what you may , but something must come from something. Orange trees must come from orange seeds , banana trees must come from banana sucklings , Awareness must come from Awareness , and thought therefore must come from thought. This is Deductive Reasoning.

The existence of this great intelligence clearly shows that man is made to exist at levels much more satisfying than his current level.

Daily we wake to news of violence and immorality and start to wonder if all this is not pointless. So what seems to be the problem?
To answer this , we have to dissect the problem down to the root itself.

Man acts because he thinks. You have a thought of doing something before you actually do it. Even the insane and hypnotized also see and hear thoughts before acting.
The bible says 'as a man thinketh , so is he. Jesus puts it a little bit differently as whatever a man sows that he will reap. Einstein also postulated this as 'every action produces an equal and opposite reaction.

Reasoning deductively , we can say with confidence that you become what you think constantly on.
A thousand books have been written on positive thinking and its effects which further proves the universality of this truth.
But you ask me , i definitely think of wealth and success all the time , why am i not wealthy? I ask you in return , can you account for every thought you have throughout the day?

Continued
Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 8:54pm On Jul 15, 2017
Upon close investigation , we discover that we have all been conditioned to think in a way that is against our true nature. School, religion, media, friends and even parents have all conditioned the modern man to live in a completely systematic way that leaves no room for authentic self expression.

Man is never happy. Always struggling with this thought or the other. There is always agitation in the mind of the modern man. His mind is on auto create and he has lost the damn remote.

Every single activity he undertakes is actually a subtle quest for Perfect happiness. Be it drugs, marijuana, sex, food , sleep, school or work, everything is just an innate desire to be happy.
The only setback to his gratification is that Perfect happiness can only be found within the innermost part of man and not without.

Even if the man was to somehow fulfill all his desires, the fear of death or the Unknown still haunts him.
We have all experienced Perfect happiness in rare moments which lasted only for a minute or two before the worries of the day come along.

Reasoning Inductively , to gain this state of Perfect happiness, a positive thought of Perfect happiness must be suggested to the mind. To get a pear tree you have to present pear seeds to the soil.

But this is where the contradictions start. The modern mind cannot know Perfect or Absolute because he considers himself finite and limited. So , what I am basically saying is that NO-THOUGHT is the thought or seed that produces that revered state that is free of name , age , religion or tribe.

This state of NO-THOUGHT creates SPACE in the mind bringing the individual closer to the present or NOW.
Pure Prayer , Nada Yoga , Zen , Enlightenment and Nirvana are just a few of the names attributed to this state. A steadfast awareness of NO-THOUGHT elevates the awareness to that of Christ or Buddha.

NO-THOUGHT means absolutely the AWARENESS OF NO-THING. SPACE is usually called NO-THING but this NO-THING is actually filled with a lot of things.
The Space currently between your face and the laptop screen seems empty but is filled with radio signals , telecommunication signals and electricity to name a few.

Reasoning deductively , therefore this NO-THOUGHT must be filled with beautiful thoughts that the mind just cannot describe in words.
As at today , numerous meditation articles litter the internet but the question that remains on everyone's lips is how can i logically bring my attention to this state of NO-THOUGHT or SILENCE

Continued
Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 7:58am On Jul 16, 2017
NO-THOUGHT means absolutely NO-THOUGHT. Going back to factory mode. Resetting all of the beliefs' you have and becoming Poor in heart.

The mind is a tool created to produce thoughts. That is its work and only a thought of high purity can let you see past the illusions that society has created.

Before we go on , lets see what famous personalities have to say about this.

Jesus
- Man shall not live by bread alone but by every 'WORD that procedeth out of the 'MOUTH OF GOD' [Elijah claimed that God had a 'STILL SMALL VOICE']
- Seek first the Kingdom of God.
- And when you pray 'DO NOT BABBLE LIKE THE HEATHENS DO' FOR YOUR FATHER KNOWS WHAT YOU NEED BEFORE YOU ASK HIM : In essen, be quiet

Psalm 46:10 - Be Still and Know I am God
Psalm 48:8 - We have waited in silence on your loving-kindness, O God, in the midst of your temple
Psalm 23 - He leads me beside the 'STILL WATERS'
Psalm 62:1 - For God alone my soul 'WAITS IN SILENCE'
Habakkuk 2:20 - But the lord is in his holy temple. Let all the earth keep silence before him

Psalm 39:2 -5 : I was SILENT and STILL… my anguish increased. My heart grew hot within me… I meditated… Show me, O Lord… how fleeting is my life… Each man’s LIFE is but a BREATH.

Ramana Maharshi
What exists in truth is the Self alone. The self is that where there is absolutely no "I" thought. That is called Silence. The Self itself is the world; the Self itself is "I"; the Self itself is God

Buddha
Silence is an empty space. Space is the home of the awakened mind

Buddha
Bring your mind to noble silence. Unify your mind in noble silence. Enter into rapture born of silence derived from concentration and awareness that is free from thought and fabrication

Jiddu Krishnamurti
Thought comes to an end. Then there is that sense of absolute silence in the brain. All the movement of thought has ended. It has ended but it can be brought into activity when there is necessity in the physical world, Now, it is quiet. It is silent. And where there is silence there must be space, immense space, because there is no self. The self has its own limited space, it creates its own little space. But when the self is not, which means the activity of thought is not, then there is vast silence in the brain because it is now free of all its conditioning."

As we can see , all masters stress the need for this inner silence. In silence, there is no religious dogma , no theories about who did this or who did that. Just you and Pure Awareness.

Now , to perform any duty , a PLACE, TIME and the appropriate TOOLS are the three constants that are needed for the successful execution of the job.

A silent environment fosters inner silence but the real PLACE where this alchemy takes place is the environment of the mind or that dark space you experience when you close your eyes.
Jesus - 'And when you want to pray , Go into your 'INNER CLOSET'[heart] and pray to your father who 'sees in SECRET.

The favorable time to practice the prayer of silence is at night when the world has gone to sleep or very early before it wakes up. The prayer life of Jesus corroborates this story.

The tool in this case must be something that has these three qualities;
- It must Constantly be in the NOW as that is the only timezone where the mind can give up the ghost.
- It must be free of belief or dogma , i.e Blessed are the Poor in heart.
- It must be able to induce pure thoughts of silence into the mind i.e Blessed are the Pure in heart.

The only physical phenomena that fits the bill is the much maligned art called BREATHING.
Consider the man in a coma. He has lost all consciousness or awareness of himself , yet the body still breathes!.
This points to a very interesting find. The thing which we call Me or I is not the one that breathes or the one responsible for life.
Mentally argue this point till you reach realization of this irrefutable fact

Continued
Re: Religion Of Silence by Wilgrea7(m): 5:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
nice writeup OP... please continue
Re: Religion Of Silence by Iamsheye(m): 6:20pm On Jul 16, 2017
continue bro
Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 7:08pm On Jul 16, 2017
The big Question now is Who breathes? What is this thing that draws in Oxygen for man and gives out Carbon Dioxide , thereby purifying us every second?

During deep sleep , man loses consciousness of the body , totally forgetting that he has to breath. Yet this wonderful INTELLIGENT force WITHIN MAN knows how to DRAW in ONLY OXYGEN , ignoring the carbon dioxide and EXPEL ONLY CARBON DIOXIDE ignoring the oxygen in the system.

Kind of like a purification process that goes on in man 24/7 , 365 days.
That is to say , the average human gets purified [Or in christain lingo , gets circumcised by the spirit] 4,838,400 times a year

The consciousness of man is like Onions. There are different layers to him and to know what lies behind the mask , measures have to be put in place to strip away everything he claims to know.

The physical body is the Outward layer. This is the flesh and blood part.
The average human today believes he is the body but the deductive scientist have proved this is actually not true.

Right NOW , ask yourself - Where am I [insert your name]?
Like , where in this body am I[insert your name]
Is it in the Hands? Legs? Waist? Chest? Head? Shoulders? Fingers? Brain?
Close your eyes and look for yourself. You'll discover there is Nothing, but just AWARENESS that I AM.

The Ego or Conditioned Mind is the one with the name , school , tribe , religious views , life experience, occupation and all that.

Jesus the son of Man , a carpenter's son was 30years old.
Jesus the son of God , claimed that before Abraham, he WAS.

That is the reason why he asked his disciples, WHO DO PEOPLE SAY I AM?
Obviously everybody knew Jesus of Nazareth but not everybody knew Jesus the SON OF GOD except Peter[led by the spirit] and unclean spirits.

You exist in the physical world right NOW as AMAKA or EMEKA but at the core of your being , you have no name , no age , no DOB , no gender , nothing.

This is the central key of all religions. Seek first the kingdom , Man know thyself , Knowledge of Self , ECKANKAR.
Paul noted it when he stated 'TO AS MANY AS ARE LED BY THE SPIRIT' . . . POWER TO BECOME SONS OF GOD'

Jesus was Led by this same Spirit as well. John the Baptist saw the Sprit descend like a dove. Jesus attributed it saying 'I say nothing of myself but anything i see the father do'

The Ego is not bad like people have put it to be recently. It is a very good servant but a terrible master. As the master it always causes the Host to have major amnesia.

You don't call the man CAMRY because he rides in one. Rather , you look through the mirrors of illusion and see the BEING at the steering wheel.

Continued

1 Like

Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 8:00am On Jul 17, 2017
The essence of following the breath consciously is to know this other entity that lives in you. This is the real YOU which Jesus talked of when he said 'You have to be born again , not as a man but as Pure silent awareness.

We have long been associated with the logical brain of the head that we have totally forgotten about the Superior emotional brain situated in the heart which is the secret place of the most high. [The kingdom of God is within you]

'heart in his mouth
IN and OUT with a little panic and doubt
Call the doctors quick , he's having a bout
Reality gone, before he could find what this life's about.

No theology whatsoever. You are alive right NOW because of some complex relationship between an intelligent force situated within the physical body and the environment around you.

Constant awareness of this GIFT of LIFE called breathing produces a state of GRATITUDE which is intrinsic to gaining that state of 'No-thought'.

Constant GRATITUDE for LIFE combined with the Space of NO-THOUGHT fulfills the entire law of the Christian religion
- Thou shall LOVE the LORD , with ALL THY HEART , and ALL THY MIND.
- Seek first the Kingdom . This Kingdom must be a quiet place since God is Silent and moves by STILL waters.

Also , since this BREATHER who is without name or form can be found in every man, deep unconditional love arises for even individuals you erroneously tried to hate.
You begin to realize that what you are angry with is the EGO and not the Individual itself.

Other benefits of deep breathing clearly shows that the human breath is directly proportional to the heart or Emotional brain.
Long slow breaths bring about a calm disposition while the angry man takes air in short , rapid , Viper like movements that has to be slowed down before he can regain composure.

The breath cuts across religion , tribe , age , sex or whatever facades that the society has used to divide people. Here , history is non-existent and the future is NOW. There is no time to think about what you would like to do in the next second or what you did in the last second.

There is simply AWARENESS existing in the NOW. Just YOU. Just AWARENESS filled with GRATITUDE for AWARENESS. Just LOVING GOD for WHAT IT IS , not for WHAT YOU NEED.

Christian means Christlike and Jesus said 'God is a spirit and those that worship him MUST WORSHIP HIM IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH.
The opposite or broad way would be trying to WORSHIP in FLESH AND IN FALSE. Spirit is invisible to the fleshy eyes and can only be seen with the inner eye. Spirit also is quiet , absolutely quiet , so any TRUE worshiper must learn how to BE STILL , and KNOW the GOD that lives within him.

He also said 'PRAY FOR YOUR ENEMIES' SO THAT YOU MAY BE SONS OF GOD. Anything contrary to this is ANTI-JESUS OR ANTI-CHRIST. I'll let you figure

Now , lets play the role of this INTELLIGENT FORCE for a minute which by nature is pure silence , and that two men are trying to communicate ;
Mr A , prays long and hard , babbling all day about money , health, protection and whatever triviality he thinks he needs. In essence he is communicating with you only because of what he needs.
Mr B , though , is quiet , realizing that there is nothing he needs that YOU[OMNISCIENT Force] does not know of and is content with just sitting in your presence and trying to know YOU for YOU.

Who would you grant his wishes? The one constantly making noise, demanding for gifts or the one who sits in silence , contented to just be in your presence??

Mr B realizes how low his intelligence is compared to this great intelligence that sits behind nature. Mr B is trying to behold the face of the Omniscient like a mirror, and gradually transforms himself into the image and likeness of what he sees. Remember the law 'what a man sows , that he will reap'

Really contemplate this nugget until it sinks deep into your subconscious.

Before we move on to the practice proper. Consider this ECKIST slogan.

SOUL EXISTS because GOD LOVES IT.
We exist because this intelligent force loves us UNCONDITIONALLY. Can you imagine the consequences of this INTELLIGENT FORCE deciding to withdraw from the human body? The only outcome would be TOTAL ANNIHILATION.

Jesus who claimed that he ACTED as he SAW the FATHER DO said on the CROSS , 'Father forgive them , FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO'.
This clearly shows that the INTELLIGENT FORCE behind creation LOVES man UNCONDITIONALLY no matter what man does to IT. How relieved are sinful men like me!!
Think of the MOTHER'S love for her CHILD and expand it into infinite love.

This particular UNDERSTANDING is the BEST WAY to COUNTER the EGO during Meditation.

Talking about something that cannot be described by words is a daunting task but in the next update , I'll try my human best to explain all about the practice itself and how to enter this silence and make it permanent 24/7.

For adherents of other faiths , don't be discouraged by the excessive use of Jesus teachings. He is my Sat Guru but there are other Gurus' as well.
The SPIRIT that breathes through all is ONE. So , even if you don't believe the story of Jesus , JUST BELIEVE that something INTELLIGENT is keeping you ALIVE right NOW and that this INTELLIGENCE LOVES you.

Continued..
Re: Religion Of Silence by Iamsheye(m): 10:58am On Jul 17, 2017
pls i have a question where were humans before birth ane why is it that we cant remember it
Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 5:23pm On Jul 17, 2017
Iamsheye:
pls i have a question
where were humans before birth ane why is it that we cant remember it

I don't know but I know where you can find out
Re: Religion Of Silence by Iamsheye(m): 7:21pm On Jul 17, 2017
manikal:

I don't know but I know where you can find out
where
Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 7:26pm On Jul 17, 2017
Iamsheye:
where

Within You.
That is the essence of the whole post. All i do is just point
Re: Religion Of Silence by Iamsheye(m): 7:29pm On Jul 17, 2017
manikal:

Within You.
That is the essence of the whole post. All i do is just point
okay how do I discover this
Re: Religion Of Silence by Subconscious(m): 4:27am On Jul 18, 2017
Iamsheye:
pls i have a question
where were humans before birth ane why is it that we cant remember it

Do we even have a memory of how we were born . We all existed in the mind of God ....In the scripture , it says “‘Before’ I formed you in the womb, I knew you.” Many a people have a misunderstanding to that line ....

1 Like

Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 10:54am On Jul 18, 2017
The practice of meditation as viewed from my personal world can be divided into 3 important parts
- Awareness
- Concentration
- Surrender

Awareness : This is the preliminary stage of meditation that enables the practitioner to get into the right frame of mind.
Concentration : After awareness has been established , keeping concentration is the next step.
Surrender : This comes naturally , like a thief in the night.

The aim of sitting in silence constantly is to attune oneself with the silence in such a way that it explodes into every second of daily life.

Here are some useful tips that improve the experience of meditation for the logical mind.

- Set aside a place and time for meditation and mentally fortify your will to keep its appointments straight one week.
- After completing every sitting meditation, think of better ways to improve your practice. Always have something to write in your Journal.
- Avoid heavy meals as silence is impossible to attain when digestion is taking place.
- Reduce clothing to the barest minimum.
- Since inner silence is the aim, Outer silence is needed as well. A quiet environment is the ideal.

To bring a logical mind to silence , logical methods need to be used as well.

- Set your alarm to at least 15 minutes. 30 minutes would be ideal.
- The mind is very tricky and has to be coerced sometimes.
- HOLD the BREATH and mentally THANK the intelligent Force [God] for giving you a beautiful meditation experience.
- RELEASE the BREATH when you are no longer comfortable. Do this at least 7 times.
- Now , CLOSE THE EYES and calmly COUNT the breath for at least 7 INHALATIONS. What i mean is , for every inhale, count 1,2 . . . 7
- After this COUNT the EXHALATIONS at least 7 Times
- If any flash of inspiration or thought makes you LOSE COUNT , START ALL OVER again.
- After this , think of the PURIFICATION process taking place ,mentally noting "Taking OXYGEN , giving out CARBON".
- Do this for a while , IGNORING EVERY THOUGHT, GOOD OR BAD.
- With EYES STILL CLOSED and attention now firmly om the breath , THINK OF YOUR EYEBALLS. This immediately brings complete ATTENTION to the HEAD.
- ATTENTION is the MOVABLE part of AWARENESS or the LEGS of the MIND.
- As you THINK of the EYEBALLS , mentally tell yourself 'I WANT to HEAR HOW MY THOUGHTS SOUND. Is it gruffy or masculine or feminine or . . .?
- Immediately all thoughts disappear and for the first time you may notice that silence has a sound.
- Don't focus on the sound , just KEEP ATTENTION on the EYEBALLS trying to SEE and HEAR your thoughts.
- Loss of identity comes on its own. Don't be scared , just flow with it.
- The Ego has no existence without your co-operation[conscious or unconscious]. Fixing attention on the ego is like bringing light into a dark room. Everywhere is illuminated immediately and the abstract term called 'darkness' is nowhere to be found. What remains is just the room , fully illuminated.
- This meditation closes the entire closets of the 5 senses as Jesus commanded and focuses on the 6th. The ego is the false 6th but behind it lies the true and Only 6th sense called intuition.

I hope this helps a soul or two. A single stone is enough to cause a ripple that can be felt throughout the lake.

1 Like

Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 11:16am On Jul 18, 2017
These are brilliant pdf resources for extended research.
Emmet fox - Sermon on the Mount
Ernest Holmes - Science of Mind
Eckhart tolle - Stillness Speaks
Levi Dowling - Aquarian Gospel of Jesus

puresilence.org is a brilliant site as well.
Re: Religion Of Silence by manikal: 9:38am On Oct 07, 2017
Author : Joel Goldsmith
The Infinite Way
The Mystical I
Thunder of Silence

All great books postulating the unity of life

(1) (Reply)

Church Where Miracle Seekers Pay 100k To See The Daddy G.O Revealed / Nigerian Man Curses Those Against Tithing After Receiving Envelope From Pastor / What's Your Best Bible Chapter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.