Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel (23649 Views)

Love Is A Game By Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by itsandi(m): 7:06pm On Sep 22, 2017
Loving this... More please. Read other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 11:24am On Sep 23, 2017

Abfictionstories.com
Just A Taste
Episode 12

NADIA continues: I never imagined I would have interest in the kitchen. You know I had always seen cooking as a burden. Like it sucks! Women are trying. You men need to appreciate them, it's not easy to cook at all. That's for the men. Ladies out there, do you know you can enjoy cooking? Like enjoy doing it. That you just sit and different ideas begin to flood your mind. And you begin to think of new ways to prepare a dish?
You know that mysterious old woman who had still refused to tell me her name taught me something else.
"The difference between a cook and a house wife, is their mind. An house wife cooks her food the same way everyday. A cook, thinks of new ways to prepare that same food. An extra ordinary cook, invents his own dish"
She gave me a sample. She prepared a bowl of fruit salad.
"What's this?"
Hahahahahaha come on now, even if I don't remember any other dish. I can never forget the fruit salad I tried to boil with water.
"It's fruit salad nah"
She laughed. And then, she added a tin of peak milk to it.
I couldn't believe my eyes. Tin peak milk inside a fruit salad?.
"Taste it?"
And viola! It tasted so good.
"Thats how you become a cook. Think of something crazy. And don't just think. Try it out"

Ok, ok. Let's digress from all these sweet private lessons. Back to the mysterious battle at hand.
The competition has arrived. And if you don't know the meaning of fear, then I am here to explain.
Fear is when you begin to sweat inside your anus the moment you see the size of the competition you imagined would just be a small group competition.
To my greatest surprise. The president of the Academy was seated.
Oh my God. My legs were shaking.

DANIEL: Nadia would not stop threatening my life with the photos she took. Akin wouldn't stop laughing either. At some point I actually laughed too. Like it was indeed funny. I had to even cat-walk o. So it wud look very convincing.
But then, what Joyce said was still a thought I couldn't shake off.
I decided to investigate a little. But first, I need to watch Nadia disgrace our Ass. Or so I thought. Until she wowed us all.
The competition started exactly by 3pm when the president was seated.
Nadia and her crew were to prepare the Egyptian Hawawshi. God, although I didn't really like her guts. I still prayed a little that she shouldn't set the Hall on fire.
But then, I saw a different Nadia. One I was now picking genuine interest in.

NADIA: Ok put yourself together. You can do this. Brenda was seated in one of the seats provided for supervisors. Our seniors were seated too, according to their grades.
The uniform on grade 6 was spectacular. I just wondered though, the way they carried their eyes to heaven with pride... Twas like they can cook for Africa.�

"Participants pick your ticket and prepare the dish you see on it. You have 30minutes. Make your group proud. Good luck"
The announcement came and we went to work.
"Jenny, the chopping board."
I turned to Sharon
"Chop the carrots, green pepper. Just chop all the vegetables"

"Joyce cook the meat. I'll mix the dough"

We were all secluded from the crowd. Each in a kitchen, with cameras filming to show the Audience live on a large teleprompter, just what we were preparing.
I began to hum my song. Tapping my finger on the table with a spoon. Laughing too.
"Is not like you are going crazy right?"
Sharon fired. Forgetting there was a sensitive mic in the room transmitting our conversations. The laughter we heard from the crowd gave us the hint.
"Sharon. They can hear us. Abeg sew up your mouth"
I warned.
"You can't blame me nah. It's not like we are allowed to dance of something"
Sharon continued. Laughter again.
"Sharon oh. Abeg hide our identity biko"
Jenny suggested. It was not helping matters. More laughter.
I thought of something. I removed the song I was listening too on my earphone. So they could all hear it.
Joyce was the first to start responding as she mixed the meat with the vegetables, she realised and quickly fell back to form.
"Wait o. Are we allowed to dance?"
Sharon was dancing already, while putting on the oven.
"My dear dance small eee..na only one life we get"
I said and listened as the crowd's laughter roared and lingered for a long time.
"Enjoy what you do girls. Enjoy cooking. Enjoy this"
And by the time we were done. Even the judges were more eager to taste our dish. We served with warm coffee. I noticed they've been laughing with the Audience.
And we got an A!
Ahn ahn, what were you expecting before nah?.
Later that evening, Daniel stole out to meet me up.
"Remember I still have those photos..."
I said thinking he wanted to try something trickery.
But then, he decide the shock my liver.
"Joyce is not who she says she is. She is the president's Daughter

Just A Taste continues..
©onyeneke Abel .August all rights reserved
Follow on Instagram
@Abfictionstories
Follow on Twitter
@abfictnstories

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by YINKS89(m): 12:33pm On Sep 23, 2017
Joyce... Wtf.... shocked

1 Like

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Louisefaye(f): 12:42pm On Sep 23, 2017
JOYCE !!!! Please keep up the good work op.

1 Like

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 8:45pm On Sep 23, 2017
So someone is tired of waiting for me to update this story. what if I tell you that you can actually read this story up to the present episode 32!!! Yes!! yes!! it's totally possible and real. no lies.
just visit my blog to read. you can thank me later
http://www.Abfictionstories.com

click!! click!!
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by vanvick247(m): 12:31pm On Sep 25, 2017
Guys save yourselves the delay just go to that site and read up the story there. Cool story nice 1 OP.

1 Like

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2017
vanvick247:
Guys save yourselves the delay just go to that site and read up the story there. Cool story nice 1 OP.

Dats it bro.. thnks
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by iiru: 8:50pm On Sep 25, 2017
lovely piece, but i. dont know why i cant comment on your blog. well done, you are doing a great job

1 Like

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 4:48pm On Sep 26, 2017
iiru:
lovely piece, but i. dont know why i cant comment on your blog. well done, you are doing a great job

of course u can just screw down. u will find the comment box. there you can drop ur comments and it will be well appreciated.
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by iiru: 5:44pm On Sep 26, 2017
i have tried several times o, after constructing and typing my wonderful comment, i can not post .
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Favouritetega(f): 9:42pm On Sep 26, 2017
Wow, just can't stop laughing. More uploads, strength and strong network.
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by johnkennedy18(m): 10:28pm On Sep 26, 2017
Nice work can't wait for more update
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 9:02am On Sep 27, 2017
Hurray!!! Just A Taste has been updated to Episode 34
read here! http://www.abfictionstories.com
click! click!!
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 9:03am On Sep 27, 2017
iiru:
i have tried several times o, after constructing and typing my wonderful comment, i can not post .

dats weird?
u entered it In the comment box?
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 9:20am On Sep 27, 2017

​Abfictionstories.com

Just A Taste
©onyeneke Abel .August 2017 all rights reserved

Episode 13

NADIA continues: Listen people, you know that moment when you feel you've got something covered and then it shoots up from another different angle entirely.

At first I thought Daniel was speaking in tongues. But he was damn serious.�

"How did you know.? Myself and Joyce arrived this Academy in the same Public bus. It's impossible"

He frowned a little. It seemed like he wasn't sure himself.

"Brenda told me"

I laughed, what on earth would make Brenda of all people, a supervisor stoop low to not just talk, but expose secrets to Daniel

"Brenda? Like you mean our supervisor?"

He nodded his head. I gave him that look that explained I didn't believe a word he said.

"Why would Brenda tell you that?"

"Cos I told her a very important detail about myself"

Ok I was done. Enough of this

"Daniel, I've got to go"

"Nadia, be careful"

He warned and I could feel his eyes on me till I was out of sight.

Although I had planned to ignore his words. But it kept ringing in my head like an alarm clock.�

DANIEL: I wasn't sure Nadia would believe me. But at least I told her already. And when I mentioned I had told Brenda an important detail about myself. I meant it because, now Brenda knows I am the heir to *Kayode's kitchen* so trust me. That word alone is worth more than any competition they might be fighting for here.

Joyce, remains a question mark. Brenda is not left out either.

NADIA: I didn't want to suspect Joyce, but I began to read meaning to her recent questions

"Where are you going to?"

She startled me that night when I was about to sneak out to the mysterious old woman.

"Nowhere"

I quickly lay back on my bed.

"For your information. I know where you are heading too. And I know you've been going there for a while now"

My heart missed. I was now thinking Daniel was actually right. I wanted to ask but the words got choked. I simply turned to face the wall.

"You don't know what you're talking about Joyce. Go to sleep"

Next morning. It was time to learn the Nigerian dish *Funkaso* Joyce was up already. Now she wasn't acting like the talkative I knew. It was like she knew Daniel told me something already. We headed to the Hall in silence. And from metres away we could hear Brenda going on with the lessons already.

Funkaso is a traditional Nigerian dish made out of millet that can either be served as a sweet breakfast or as a savory side. Though they look like pancakes, the millet flour in funkaso makes it a gluten-free, vegan, and overall healthier option. Millet flour can be purchased at a health food store or you can buy plain millet and grind it to a powder in a food processor. If you are planning to serve funkaso for breakfast, get the batter ready the night before, as it needs to rest for at least 4 hours. In the morning you can just heat the griddle and get flipping!

Makes 5 Millet Pancakes

*Ingredients:*.• 

1 cup millet flour*.• ½ cup and 2 tbsp of lukewarm water (adjust as necessary)*.• Salt or sugar to taste*.• Margarine or oil Method:1.Sift the millet flour into a mixing bowl and slowly pout in the water, mixing constantly. The mixture should be runny but smooth, similar to pancake batter. If deciding to make the sweet version, add some sugar, preferably brown, otherwise salt the batter.

2.Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside for 4 hours or overnight

3.Heat your griddle or your heavy frying pan and melt your margarine. If 

you are making the savoury version, you may replace the margarine with oil. During this time, whisk the batter.

4.When the griddle and the margarine are hot, ladle the batter onto it, creating round pancakes. Flip when the bottom looks crispy. When both sides are ready, remove the funkaso from the griddle.

5.Serve warm with honey, Chika’s Hand Toasted Peanuts or Smoked Almonds, and yogurt. Alternately, serve it as a savoury side to a meat dish or with dips or chutneys.

DANIEL: my plans to get Nadia was trailing off. I wasn't making headways.  There was no way to meet up at night. And during the day, all those are new recruited crew follow  her around like hawks�. Ok, before the ladies reading this thinks am a total jerk, or decides to twist my neck. listen, I was just after her body but after the competition. I had generated a likeness for her. Pure one oh. I wanted to give it a try and have her close. Who knows. There is life after this academy. And wait for it readers. Life after this academy, is where the real story begins.

NADIA: That night, although I knew Joyce pretended to be fast asleep. I went out still, to the mysterious old woman.

"How are you my child?"

She smiled at me and handed over a recipe

"What's this?"

"All the foods that you would encounter in this academy from grade 1 to 6"

My eyes went wide. I opened and took a glimpse. This was all I need. Joyce suddenly popped up in my mind

"Madam, does the name Joyce ring a bell?"

She paused for a while. Her reaction indeed explained that Joyce was a close one.

"Nadia, what's the name of this academy?"

I wondered what the name of the academy had to do with my question.

"Serena foodies"

I replied, smiling at the fact that it was my name sake.

She tied her apron and handed me mine

"My name is Serena Temilade. And Joyce, is my daughter"

Just A Taste 

Continues

©onyeneke Abel .August 2017 all rights reserved.

Follow us on Instagram

@abfictionstories

On Twitter

@abfictnstories

On Facebook

@Ab fiction stories/poems

sssshhh! don't tell anyone oh. Quietly Join the crew!
read up to Episode 34! here!
http://www.Abfictionstories.com

click!! click!!!
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Favouritetega(f): 9:46am On Sep 27, 2017
D old woman is Madam Serena, didn't see that one coming...
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Pauldaniel02: 9:59am On Sep 27, 2017
Lovely. I have been booked all day then cool.

Anyways check out my Page for Great Laptops at the Best Price.

https://www.nairaland.com/4062389/grade-usa-laptops-sale#60864937
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by queenDD(f): 5:31pm On Sep 27, 2017
I so love this story, keep it coming.

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by johnkennedy18(m): 7:51pm On Sep 27, 2017
Pls I don't like half bread oh dis ur update is half bread, nice work duo
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Lildiamond: 7:56pm On Sep 27, 2017
I love your story pls more update. I tried commenting but I dont know......
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Abelosas222(m): 8:20pm On Sep 27, 2017
Lildiamond:

if u r talking abt my blog, there is a comment box below.
you'll notice pple comments and my replies. So just enter ur comments in the comment box and click comment
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Ritajovy(f): 10:26pm On Sep 27, 2017
Hmmm This is good. Following you ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by bossy512(f): 3:20pm On Sep 28, 2017
I love this story, thanks for d update. pls more..........

1 Like

Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Dessydemmy: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2017
Onye love!!! weldone dear, all update na hit, back to back.
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by omonifamily(f): 4:33pm On Oct 03, 2017
Lildiamond:

me too
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by sirblero(m): 2:28pm On Oct 19, 2017
TO THE WRITER
DID YOU CREATE A GROUP CHAT ... LIKE "ABFICTIONSTORIES/PEOMS
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by itsandi(m): 3:56pm On Oct 19, 2017
Nice update! Enjoy other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by rachealfst(f): 5:28pm On Oct 19, 2017
Great story. It's just perfect, kudos to the writer. I'm actually following this story on your blog. God bless you.
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by iiru: 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2017
wonderful story. finished reading on your blog , still can't comment there, I enjoyed myself , work well done
Re: Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel by Doubra12(m): 1:06pm On May 19, 2019
Guy abeg update dis beautiful story.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Airegin Mafias (by Oyinprince & Donkross1) / A Christmas Party / 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.