Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare (23749 Views)

Plot Summary Of A Midsummer Night's Dream By William Shakespeare / Top 20 Timeless Quotes From The William Shakespeare / James Hadley Chase: Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by GeeStaff: 1:41am On Dec 22, 2017
William Shakespeare is considered as one of the greatest playwrights in the history of the world. The English poet was born on April 23, 1564. He is often called the "Bard of Avon" portraying him to represent the identity, beliefs and principles of the British culture.

He is the best-selling fiction author of all time (selling over 4 billion copies of written works). His style, lessons and quotes span over 400 years and till reaps relevance in our modern culture - especially in the field of literature.

His plays have been translated into every major language and are performed more often than those of any other playwright.

While Shakespeare is known for his popular works such as The Tempest, Hamlet and Macbeth - most of these book being taught at schools and colleges, a little peep closer into the life of this gifted writer reveals some truths that are often not spoken about.

The purpose of this post is to unravel some facts about Shakespeare you (probably) didn't know.

1 . Shakespeare got married at a very early age. Can you guess…? 25 maybe? You're not even close. Shakespeare joined oath together with Anne Hathaway when he was just 18. The marriage took place in Stratford, Warwickshire.

2 . Shakespeare had twins.
His marriage union with Anne Hathaway saw the birth of three children: Susan and a set of twins, Hamlet and Judith.

3 . Some of Shakespeare's best works were produced between 1589 and 1613. He predominantly produced mainly comedies and histories which are often considered to be some of the best work ever produced in these genre.

4 . The actual date of birth of Shakespeare is unknown. Although it is predominantly observed to be on 23 April, which can however be traced back to an 18th-century scholar's mistake. The widely used date - 23rd April was actually the day he died.

5 . Shakespeare's wife - Anne Hathaway, was 8 years older than him. He got married to her at age 18 while she was 26!

6 . Shakespeare has been translated into 80 languages.

7 . Shakespeare used derogatory and insulting terms in some of his plays. Contrary to popular belief that his work were mainly censored comedies and romantics, his characters knew how to call you a "slowpoke" without stooping to simplism. A collection of some of his insulting statements are on litcharts

8 . Far from being a broke artist, Shakespeare's plays made him very wealthy. In 1597, he bought the second largest house in Stratford

9 . There's a possibility that we're all spelling his name wrong. Recorded spellings of his name range from Shakspere to Shaxberd to Shappere. No documented record of him actually spelling his name as "Shakespeare.

10 . There were no portraits of Shakespeare painted in his lifetime. Therefore all existing paintings you see are all guesswork.

11 . Some scholars think Shakespeare wasn't the original writer of most of his plays. They couldn't fathom How a provincial commoner become one of the most eloquent and prolific writers in history. Even in his early career, William was writing tales that had in-depth knowledge of history and international affairs. Record doesn't indicate he went to a university.

https://geeflix.com

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by GloriaNinja(f): 2:40am On Dec 22, 2017
He WAS AN ICON

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 22, 2017
William Shakespeare,the Literary Legend.Reading his plays tho was quite treacherous.

6 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by akeentech(m): 7:02am On Dec 24, 2017
From my deep research he was a Yoruba man from Ikire Osun state

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by tstx(m): 7:03am On Dec 24, 2017
hmmm. Anne Hathaway.. My celebrity crush b4 b4

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 24, 2017
He was a black man.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by akeentech(m): 7:05am On Dec 24, 2017
tstx:
hmmm
Y hmm
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by tstx(m): 7:05am On Dec 24, 2017
badebillions:
He was a black man.
UNa Don.come

21 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 24, 2017
tstx:
UNa Don.come
He was a black man..

2 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Wikinaija(m): 7:06am On Dec 24, 2017
Good man.

Also enter my link
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by mufex(m): 7:06am On Dec 24, 2017
I don hear. I have learnt something new. But I know corruption started with Buhari's family

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:07am On Dec 24, 2017
Yeah some scholars believe Shakespear is a pseudonym. A small others believe him to be Christopher Marlowe, the author of Doctor Faustus.
Whatever the case maybe, Elizabeth I's England was dope and strong.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by ANBAKO: 7:07am On Dec 24, 2017
God punish the people that truncated our educational system to make us all "sheeples", "zombies", MAGA, MUMU etc.

We have lost it since history was eradicated from our educational curriculum

8 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by tstx(m): 7:07am On Dec 24, 2017
akeentech:

Y hmm
He was married to Anne Hathaway... Currently there's one Anne hathaway in Hollywood

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by hopefulLandlord: 7:08am On Dec 24, 2017
tstx:
hmmm. Anne Hathaway.. My celebrity crush b4 b4

she's a bag of bones

5 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by eghuan1(m): 7:08am On Dec 24, 2017
There's a belief that some of his best works we're written by a black woman, and he put his name as the writer. The man didn't have good education
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by kabayomi(m): 7:08am On Dec 24, 2017
Shakespeare was attending MFM. Die! Die!! Die!!!

5 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by kazyhm(m): 7:09am On Dec 24, 2017
z
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by KeengTobbie(m): 7:10am On Dec 24, 2017
Now this is an author... He paved way for literature to gain popularity and authors became more respected.
Kudos Shakesman wink

2 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Odani: 7:10am On Dec 24, 2017
The greatest of all time
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:11am On Dec 24, 2017
eghuan1:
There's a belief that some of his best works we're written by a black woman, and he put his name as the writer. The man didn't have good education
Black woman? Or Christopher Marlowe? I'm surprised there's a record of the muse getting married at 18. For all we know, his works became popular after Marlowe died. When you read Dr Faustus it has all the attributes of a Shakespeare novel. Occult. Mystery. Devil. Meters. Etc. It's a conspiracy theory but it seems valid.

Because he wrote like Marlowe, in Iambic Pentameters and smart trochaic, because Marlowe was rumoured to have worked with the secret service, because nothing was known about W.S before the time, it is not entirely preposterous to pursue the conspiracy theory that Marlowe is W.S.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 24, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

she's a bag of bones

Did you watch the Princess diaries? I love her from there onward.

1 Like

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by nnamdibig(m): 7:11am On Dec 24, 2017
His date of birth unknown yet he got married at 18. undecided undecided undecided

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by hucienda: 7:11am On Dec 24, 2017
Bard of Avon.

Greatest Of All Time in [English] Literature.

Legend.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by bestower: 7:12am On Dec 24, 2017
He was the best writer that ever came to this world, undoubtedly the best.....literature was in him and he died with it...a legend he was.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Brugo(m): 7:12am On Dec 24, 2017
badebillions:
He was a black man.

What is this again? Just celebrate the playwright and go. No need to spread conspiracy theories.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:13am On Dec 24, 2017
I Will Be Greater Than Shakespeare

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by eghuan1(m): 7:14am On Dec 24, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Black woman? Or Christopher Marlowe? I'm surprised there's a record of the muse getting married at 18. For all we know, his works became popular after Marlowe died. And because he wrote like Marlowe, in

Yes black woman. Saw the documentary on the history channel
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by tstx(m): 7:14am On Dec 24, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

she's a bag of bones
I still love her
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Nobody: 7:14am On Dec 24, 2017
Brugo:

What is this again? Just celebrate the playwright and go. No need to spread conspiracy theories.
He was a black guy.
Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Hector09(m): 7:15am On Dec 24, 2017
He is a biesexual, thats what many believes

1 Like

Re: 11 Facts You Didn't Know About William Shakespeare by Ranchhoddas: 7:15am On Dec 24, 2017
I find his works boring.
Still can't find what the fuss about Shakespeare is all about.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Am Embarrassed To Share The Same National Space With Some Imbeciles -soyinka / Once Upon A Time / The Reunion....(A Short Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.