Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,702 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Literature - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature (333 Views)

Nairaland Literature Awards Of The Year(2019)- Poetry Included-- Voting Closed / A Foreign Literature Class Will Be Treating My Short Story. I'm Amazed. / Kazuo Ishiguro Wins The 2017 Nobel Prize In Literature! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Literature by Tonieokey(m): 11:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
Tell tale
Part two.

Michael's face lit up immediately and so did his heart, for it didn't matter how but all he knows is that he would finally make some progress with this woman who had occupied his waking thoughts, or go down trying. He could hardly contain himself as excitement swept through him, thus warming up the conversation and he found out by her soft smile and genuine attempts at humor that she was already warming up to him, but he wouldn't talk about the affections he has for her as this could put her off totally, or worse still, pull her defenses back up and this could take many more months to get through. At the end of the evening, just as they walked out of the posh cafe where they had been, she surprised him by saying "it seems you aren't a total jerk by the look of things, I almost enjoyed this- call it a date and die" he laughed, not a wild one, more of a throaty chuckle and replied "well, another time?". I'll try and squeeze you into my schedule Michael, as long as you don't invade my personal space". Scouts honor he replied, his right hand up on the air and his left hand on his chest" she smiled. Goodnight Michael, then walked into her car and drove off. He stood there, a content smile on his lips. Savoring the lingering scent of her perfume. Hmm, classic woman he thought before driving off also. They went on many more dates before he finally asked her out after they caught a movie. He was hoping for a response on the spot and he got one. She looked steadily into his eyes, as if trying to intimidate him or real his soul, or do both. Then the end of her lips broke into a soft smile as she leaned in towards him and gave him a full on kiss. That was his answer.
Their relationship was intense, yet soft. It was clear that both had the same idea of making it as smooth as possible, and after thirteen months of unbridled passion, toe curling orgasms and mutuality in understanding and affections, he proposed in a quiet but solid way, slipping an 18 karat diamond ring on her finger whilst she was asleep, woke her with little kisses and watched her reaction as she felt the added weight on her finger before he proceeded to ask her to marry him with a wide smile. He was confident she would accept, and she did accept wholeheartedly, leading to a crescendo of emotions in him as he immediately drew a picture in his mind about how he'll wake up to this beautiful soul that so complete him for the rest of his life. The wedding thoughts started earnestly as they both wanted a simple but classy ceremony with only 150 guests, the creme de la creme.
A few days before the formal introduction, Michael took his fiancee to meet with his parents. They arrived to a warm welcome, as both parents were more than eager to meet their future daughter inlaw. She wore a chic turquoise blue knee length dress with heels and light make up, much to the admiration of all present. She wanted to leave a lasting impression on Michael's mum, so she did the customary thing of kneeling to greet her, then pull her in for a hug, which led to a chuckle from the older woman. There was smiles on all the faces as they settled to a well prepared meal of steaming jollof rice, sprinkled with goat meat chopped in small sizes and fried fish. They all helped themselves to servings and ate, making small talk along the way. Vivian thanked them accordingly and complimented Michael's mum, making her smile even further. After the meal had began its journey of digestion, Michael's dad called him aside and thought it necessary to remind him of a thing or two. "my son" he began, "I see you made a great choice and by the looks of it, you care for this woman very much". Knowing his father, Michel was sure that the Willy old man was driving at something and it was best to let him talk. He continued, "my question is, are you sure she feels the same way, are you certain she would stick by you?". "yes father, I am sure" replied Michael, a little too hastily . His father looked straight ahead for many seconds, a gesture that showed he was thinking of the right words to use and Michael's heart beat faster. He wasn't afraid of what the news might be, he was scared of how his father would say it, as he is known to be a straight arrow. After what seemed hours, but couldn't have been more than a few minutes, Michael's father went on. " our people say that, he who asks questions never misses his way and that's why I asked those questions earlier. It is tradition that any woman married to a man in our community must not lay with any other man, as long as her husband is alive, as the consequence ranges from madness to sudden death. So you must be sure that this woman loves u enough to go down that road with you". Michael smiled, for as far as he knew, it wasn't an issue and he had no doubt that she would commit and he pointed this out to his father, assuring him that there was no way Vivian would let that come in between them, in this world or the next. His father being a smart man, asked to get the same assurances from Vivian, and she was summoned. She listened until the man read out in clear terms, the meaning of the said practice, then she responded "I have heard you sir, and I assure you that my love for your son is quite deep". On hearing this, Michael smiled so much that the edges of his mouth almost touched his ears for he heard all that he hoped for. "what happens if the man should cheat" asked Vivian and the old man smiled just as the smile slowly faded from his son's lips. "in most cases, nothing happens to the man unless the wife takes up the issue with her husband's kinsmen" it took Vivian a few seconds to process this information, but she kept her thoughts to herself.
They arrived at Michael's residence a day later, and Vivian proceeded to pick her things and carry them to her car. Michael was a bit taken aback by this, as he thought they would celebrate the success of their trip but it seemed she would have none of that. As she made her second trip to the car, Michael stood in her way and raised her jaw to look into her eyes which were sad and teary. "baby what's wrong" he asked, near hysteria himself. She looked at him, then lowered her head and began to sob, inaudible at first, then louder as he pressed her into him. He held her tight, doing his best to show her that he would always be her rock,immovable and holding fast. He was content to just let her pour out her grief. But he wondered, with a thudding heart what might be wrong, then her sobs quieted after a while and she composed herself then stepped out from his embrace to speak her mind. "Michael" she began " I love you with my whole life, with my every essence as a woman, but I can't marry you". He took a step back, suddenly feeling his temples as he felt himself coming down with fever. "why" he managed to ask, barely above a whisper. "because" she continued, I cannot key into your tradition as it is. I can't go into a marriage that undermines me because I'm a woman. A marriage that would give you much more peace of mind than myself. No. I would be setting the female movement back by so many years". His mind immediately went to work as a shrill voice in his head mocked him, whispering to him that she obviously has plans to cheat on him after marriage, but he knew better. She reached out to wipe the tears flowing freely on his face, tears he had no idea were there and he let out a breath he didn't even know he was holding at the touch of her soft hand on his bare cheek. In no time, his eyes were red and he felt faint. The tiny voice encouraged him to lash out at her and spew whatever bile there was, but he couldn't bring himself to, with so many thoughts swirling on his head, until her voice startled him. "promise me you would love again Michael" she said, turning to face him from the door. His tongue failed him as all he could do was let the tears flow unperturbed. It seemed his very reason for being alive has been unhinged, walking as a shadow behind her, ready to leave him.without a second thought. Sensing his thoughts, she stepped back into the house, hugged him tightly, telling him again that she loves him wholeheartedly, then picked up her bag and without looking back, walked out of the house, got into her car and left. He'll be alright she thought.

Mcanthony

(1) (Reply)

Bookshops And Where To Buy Whosale Books In Abuja / Animation Using Macromedia Flash Or Firework 8 / The Secerete Termite In My Heart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.