Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,382 members, 7,819,391 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch (635 Views)

COZA & Man Urinating On Bible: The PUNCH Removes Editor Over Offensive Cartoon / Crazy Things That Religious People Believe - Add Yours / Joyce Meyer Defends Tattoos, Says She Might Get One To Make Religious People Mad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by obafemee80(m): 3:46pm On Jul 17, 2017
Are you a religious person? Well, if you answer in the affirmative, a neuroscientist says you are mentally unstable!

A professor at Stanford University, Robert Sapolsky, has said that religion is a mental illness, and that the behaviours exhibited by ‘prophets’ in religious texts are diagnosable acts.

The self-described atheist, who is also a neuroendocrinologist, argues that religion is comparable to a shared schizophrenia.Schizophrenia is a chronic and severe mental disorder that affects how a person thinks, feels, and behaves.

Sapolsky said he was raised in an Orthodox (Jewish) household.

“I was raised devoutly religious up until around age 13 or so. In my adolescent years, one of the defining actions in my life was breaking away from all religious belief whatsoever,” he boasts.

According to him, the parables and teachings of prophets — such as the stories of the construction of the world in seven days, virgin births and burning bushes — are stories constructed by “extremely formative, extremely schizotypals throughout history.”

Online portal, Mayo Clinic, describes people with ‘schizotypal personality disorder’ as those who are odd or eccentric and usually have few, if any, close relationships. “Schizotypals generally don’t understand how relationships form or the impact of their behaviour on others,” Mayo Clinic asserts.

Prof. Sapolsky argues that “religious rituals are a form of exhibiting obsessive-compulsive disorders;” and that “religious people are on a spectrum of mental illness.”

http://punchng.com/religious-people-have-mental-illness-neuroscientist-warns/

Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by wahles(m): 3:53pm On Jul 17, 2017
Okk
Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by felixomor: 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2017
So you were raised by "mentally ill people"?
Good.
First examine your own self.
Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by rhektor(m): 4:31pm On Jul 17, 2017
felixomor:
So you were raised by "mentally ill people"?
Good.
First examine your own self.
The thing taya me my brother. A man that was raised by mad men and women

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by rhektor(m): 4:33pm On Jul 17, 2017
If it were a religious post here all these wannabe nairaland atheists would flood here asking for evidence. Op give us evidence that this your doll has performed an experiment to establish the fact that religious people has brain disorder.
Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by obafemee80(m): 4:39pm On Jul 17, 2017
rhektor:
If it were a religious post here all these wannabe nairaland atheists would flood here asking for evidence. Op give us evidence that this your doll has performed an experiment to establish the fact that religious people has brain disorder.
i'm a muslim...
But i think the man is not sane
Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by rhektor(m): 4:42pm On Jul 17, 2017
obafemee80:

i'm a muslim...
But i think the man is not sane

Issoraite, let Seun hopefullandlord catfishBilly et all respond then
Lest I forget happy birthday oga Seun
Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by akintom(m): 5:39pm On Jul 17, 2017
Some Christians here, just confirmed the observation of the author of the article.

Mental illness is caused by combination of biological, psychological and environmental factors.

Psychological and environmental factors, are strongly responsible for the type of delusion and schizophrenia, that's peculiar to the religious folks.

The fact that most of the religious folks, can still function normally within the society, doesn't make their infirmity unreal.

* it's delusional, to claim that something exist (materially), and not provide physical evidence.

* it's schizophrenic, to claim hearing, seeing and speaking to unseen beings.
Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by NairalandSARS: 10:41pm On Jul 17, 2017
What "mental illness" are you talking about in particular?
Re: Religious People Have Mental Illness, Neuroscientist Warns-punch by Niflheim(m): 8:42pm On Jul 18, 2017
Fantastic article!!! Great post!!! Eating grass and "chewing torn pant" can only be described as a mental illness!!!

(1) (Reply)

A Born Again Can't Lose His/ Her Salvation....... / Church Matchmaking: Pastor Files Out Unmarried Youths, Tells Them To Choose Each / Take Money Away From Today Churches - None Will Be Man Of God!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.