Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) (17927 Views)

Google Pay Homage To Late Nigeria Female Novelist / Novelist/writers Whatsapp Group / Google Celebrates Nigerian Author - Flora Nwapa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2017
African heroine
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nnfe(f): 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2017
Boss!
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jul 24, 2017
uzobaby:
Heard about her so much but Funny enough I'm yet to read any of her work. .this Efuru caught my interest..but I hope it will not be like Adichies 'Purple Hibiscus -that left me disappointed after reading despite the hype about the book
A great book.but you may become tired and confuse toward the end,After her marriage with Emenike or so,The will be husband that Efuru son killed why hunting for Lizard for sacrifice
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by wink2015(m): 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
Another Igbo writer, just like the late Buchi Emecheta the writer of "SECOND CLASS CITIZEN"

2 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by GURION: 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
God bless her soul kiss

Read all her books bumper to bumper while in high school.
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Gmajor(m): 1:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
uzobaby:
Heard about her so much but Funny enough I'm yet to read any of her work. .this Efuru caught my interest..but I hope it will not be like Adichies 'Purple Hibiscus -that left me disappointed after reading despite the hype about the book

purple hibiscus is my favourite Adiche novel
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Utchgirl(f): 1:21pm On Jul 24, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
Beautiful and intelligent lady
Super fluid, Very talented Coal City's finest And a blessing to Chief Gogo Nwackuche.
Such literary talent is yet to be replicated in present day Nigeria.

Hi dear !

Hv alwaz admire ur posts.
I knw u must be IGBO.
Wil lyk 2 knw ur discipline and state of origin.
Jus being curious.
Tnx in anticipation !

2 Likes

Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by olowobaba10: 1:29pm On Jul 24, 2017
ONE IS ENOUGH
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by internetpo(m): 1:32pm On Jul 24, 2017
Lovely woman.

I Loved that efuru book. Wont mind re-reading it again.

Anywhere I can get it in Lagos?
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by EmekaMD(m): 1:35pm On Jul 24, 2017
uzobaby:
purple hibiscus left u disappointed?
Chai! Chai!! Chai!!.

You're never a fiction lover or worst still u hate reading..
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 24, 2017
EmekaMD:
purple hibiscus left u disappointed?
Chai! Chai!! Chai!!.

You're never a fiction lover or worst still u hate reading..
I love fiction but that book wasn't what I expected
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2017
nija80:

A great book.but you may become tired and confuse toward the end,After her marriage with Emenike or so,The will be husband that Efuru son killed why hunting for Lizard for sacrifice
really? ? I will look for the book
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2017
Nne5:

Why purple hibiscus?

If there's any book that left me disappointed it's 'Americanah'.
I've not read American ah because the 'Purple Hibiscus 'didn't even motivate my interest in her works
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 24, 2017
Mologi:

What don't you like about "purple hibiscus "?
The way she portrayed the characters in the book was just too extreme and the book bored me and I can't point out any theme from that book . .
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 24, 2017
Gmajor:

purple hibiscus is my favourite Adiche novel
looooll and what of the others? ?
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2017
kushercain:

purple hibiscus had the worst ending Eva. This efuru is a classic
I'll give the book a trial

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by JikanBaura(m): 1:58pm On Jul 24, 2017
Not Africas or Nigerias First female novalist. Their are some women in Africa and Nigera who were writing novel before her grand parents were born. plz OP correct you topic title
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Gmajor(m): 2:15pm On Jul 24, 2017
uzobaby:
looooll and what of the others? ?
I've read the others but purple hibiscus is my favourite
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by okuya: 2:23pm On Jul 24, 2017
uzobaby:
Really, purple hibiscus is a great work, it is a great literal work with a very subtle story which absorbs you into its characters.the teller took her time to gently draw us into the environment or should I call it setting, by giving us some of the best geographical description, a story can offer.
Well one thing with works of literature is that your appreciation of them is dependent upon the environment you can easily relate with, for me I spent my early childhood in a small town, in the east part of Nigeria, and also constantly visiting relatives in the interior villages surrounding the town, where most nights we go to bed with folktales which has been handed down by being told for generations down the line. Also, latter part of my childhood, teenage and early adult life I spent in Lagos, i most times growing visited other parts of the country, these were my formative years. Therefore I appreciate and enjoy African stories or tales no matter the setting. I sometimes, also enjoy some foreign literal works, having traveled to some African, middle eastern, and western world such as America, but I do not appreciate their literal works so much, because deep within my subconscious, I cannot relate very much with their environment.
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Erudite202: 2:35pm On Jul 24, 2017
nija80:

You are referring to *THE CONCUBINE* by *ELECHI AMADI* not purple hibiscus!

1 Like

Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jul 24, 2017
okuya:

Really, purple hibiscus is a great work, it is a great literal work with a very subtle story which absorbs you into its characters.the teller took her time to gently draw us into the environment or should I call it setting, by giving us some of the best geographical description, a story can offer.
Well one thing with works of literature is that your appreciation of them is dependent upon the environment you can easily relate with, for me I spent my early childhood in a small town, in the east part of Nigeria, and also constantly visiting relatives in the interior villages surrounding the town, where most nights we go to bed with folktales which has been handed down by being told for generations down the line. Also, latter part of my childhood, teenage and early adult life I spent in Lagos, i most times growing visited other parts of the country, these were my formative years. Therefore I appreciate and enjoy African stories or tales no matter the setting. I sometimes, also enjoy some foreign literal works, having traveled to some African, middle eastern, and western world such as America, but I do not appreciate their literal works so much, because deep within my subconscious, I cannot relate very much with their environment.
That's good but when it comes to romance or espionage, I think foreign authors do well in such areas, so blend your tastes in literary works
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by alorax2(f): 2:58pm On Jul 24, 2017
Where can i get Effuru by flora nwapa? Am In Lagos. Though i have read it befire In 80s but need to read it again
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by misspineapple(f): 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2017
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Martin0(m): 3:52pm On Jul 24, 2017
misspineapple:
shocked shocked shocked
xup apple
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by misspineapple(f): 4:04pm On Jul 24, 2017
Martin0:
xup apple
Hi...wia av u been?
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Martin0(m): 4:11pm On Jul 24, 2017
misspineapple:
Hi...wia av u been?
Have been around sha though abite busy with work
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by misspineapple(f): 4:18pm On Jul 24, 2017
Martin0:
Have been around sha though abite busy with work
ok..hope u av bin good?hwz work?
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by jantavanta(m): 4:23pm On Jul 24, 2017
uzobaby:
That's good but when it comes to romance or espionage, I think foreign authors do well in such areas, so blend your tastes in literary works

Romance, esponiage and Science Fiction/Fantasy. Why is it so?
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Martin0(m): 4:31pm On Jul 24, 2017
misspineapple:
ok..hope u av bin good?hwz work?
yeah we thank God,do u base,sorry to ask..
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by okuya: 4:56pm On Jul 24, 2017
uzobaby:

Well for romance stories, the female gender tends to appreciate them more, give a romantic tale of two frogs in love in a pond somewhere Uzbekistan, or love story of two koalas in Australia, the human mind especially that of the females has a way of recreating the characters of that bullfrog and the frog in Uzbekistan to the story of bayo and Nkechi in Lekki. In romance it has no bound like other stories
And for espionage novels, movies such as James Bond with which we grew up has already formed the basis on which we can appreciate such stories. Nevertheless we would appreciate our African stories more if put side by side with foreign stories, as long as they are being narrated by equally intelligent story teller
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2017
jantavanta:

Romance, esponiage and Science Fiction/Fantasy. Why is it so?

That's what is obtainable around them. .Imagine an African writing on science /fiction. .looooolll..the environment is an influencer to what people write
Re: Flora Nwapa: Nigeria And Africa's First Female Novelist (Biography) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 24, 2017
okuya:

Well for romance stories, the female gender tends to appreciate them more, give a romantic tale of two frogs in love in a pond somewhere Uzbekistan, or love story of two koalas in Australia, the human mind especially that of the females has a way of recreating the characters of that bullfrog and the frog in Uzbekistan to the story of bayo and Nkechi in Lekki. In romance it has no bound like other stories
And for espionage novels, movies such as James Bond with which we grew up has already formed the basis on which we can appreciate such stories. Nevertheless we would appreciate our African stories more if put side by side with foreign stories, as long as they are being narrated by equally intelligent story teller
looooiiiooolll abeg no kill me with laugh..tale of two frogs indeed. ..and happily ever after. .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Africa Report: Chimamanda Adichie Is 4th In 100 Most Influential Africans List / Chimamanda Adichie At Chatham House London, Delivered Keynote Address (Pics) / Could This Be Love (my Boss)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.