Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:32 AM

Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box (7538 Views)

My Toyota Corolla's Brain Box Has Been Stolen! / Honda Baby Boy Engine And Gear Price / Help With Brain Box Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 9:18am On Jul 22, 2017
Gurus I will like to know if and why.. If a brain box is faulty does it ruin a gear box? And can a new gear box also make a brain box or a faulty brain box go completely bad? I under stand the bran box controls every but I need a clearer picture here pls and how much can one get the gear and brain box. Thank you
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by mayor2013: 10:09am On Jul 22, 2017
A bad ecu can make a gearbox go faulty. A gearbox making an ecu go faulty by default is a "NO". If only both has been praticalised with. State your car's problem let's know how to answer your question rightly
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 10:14am On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:
Gurus I will like to know if and why.. If a brain box is faulty does it ruin a gear box? And can a new gear box also make a brain box or a faulty brain box go completely bad? I under stand the bran box controls every but I need a clearer picture here pls and how much can one get the gear and brain box. Thank you
In answering your questions:

1. Yes. A faulty brainbox (or Transmission control unit) can cause catastrophic damage to a gearbox. However for you to be sure, you need to scan the car, and it should give you transmission related codes( particularly, codes that imply errors in command fluid pressure and gear ratios). such errors can cause mechanical damage particularly to clutchpacks( fiber as they call it).Personally i feel this should be the last point of call, as ECUs(brainboxes) are built to be very reliable( particularly that of the 2007 camry). If to say na 2001-03 rav4 i would have said the opposite(lol)

2. It is also important to check wiring harnesses and end connections that link the gearbox sensors and solenoids and the brainbox. If wiring is damaged, electrical signals/ communication between the gear and brainbox will be compromised, making you think that the problem is either the brainbox or gear.for this you will need a very good rewire(electrician well versed in that area)

3. Mechanical concerns cannot be ruled out also. Did this happen after you performed a fluid change? What was the condition of the fluid drained out? What gear oil did you use? Did you clean the filter or did you replace it with a genuine one? Please note the the remmended ATF for your car is the TOYOTA WS atf. Quite pricey.

4. it is also good to note that some engine related codes can also cause erratic gear shifts e.g. TPS codes

As for the price of the gear, O BOY THAT THING COST OOO!( around 250-300k excluding shipping and installation)

2 Likes

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 10:40am On Jul 22, 2017
I got the gear box for 230k n installation for 15k. While test running the gear. It gave a slight jerk that made the gear expert say the brain box might be faulty. Then when we got to a clear OK road. He fired the car. It jerked at 3 alone but selected the rest smoothly. Then he confirmed that the brainbox is the cause of the jerk. And said i no ed to change it asap before it destroys the new gear box, they can't work together. As if the useless bran box was hearing our conversation. As I was going home. It started jerking then latrr failed to select gear again. I cuma be fearing now.. What you guys think?
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 10:48am On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:
I got the gear box for 230k n installation for 15k. While test running the gear. It gave a slight jerk that made the gear expert say the brain box might be faulty. Then when we got to a clear OK road. He fired the car. It jerked at 3 alone but selected the rest smoothly. Then he confirmed that the brainbox is the cause of the jerk. And said i no ed to change it asap before it destroys the new gear box, they can't work together. As if the useless bran box was hearing our conversation. As I was going home. It started jerking then latrr failed to select gear again. I cuma be fearing now.. What you guys think?

pls call 07068335918 or your contact.Do you still have your old gear with you?
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by mayor2013: 10:50am On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:

What was the issue with your first gearbox. The newly purchased gear box is not in a good condition. Slipping condition cannot be attributed to a failed ecu

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 10:52am On Jul 22, 2017
mayor2013:

What was the issue with your first gearbox. The newly purchased gear box is not in a good condition. Slipping condition cannot be attributed to a failed ecu
It can sir. However i think may be the modified '13 pin' gear. OP, pls can you post the VIN number plate on the gearbox you purchased?

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by mayor2013: 11:39am On Jul 22, 2017
Inception:

It can sir. However i think may be the modified '13 pin' gear. OP, pls can you post the VIN number plate on the gearbox you purchased?

95% attributed to an internal damage. Do not bother the op's case is not a failed ecu until proven otherwise where series of test has been carried out
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 11:46am On Jul 22, 2017
mayor2013:

95% attributed to an internal damage. Do not bother the op's case is not a failed ecu until proven otherwise where series of test has been carried out

The other gear box couldn't select beyond 2. And jerks alot l. Revs up before entering gear 3 and jerks and, after long usage it jerks to enter gear one or two. Although my mechanic told me im likely to get a new brain box after getting new gear. He's got a scanning machine so what he saw. Made him say that. Yes I still have the old gear box.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 11:47am On Jul 22, 2017
mayor2013:

Of course i know. Internal damage can easily be proven by physical inspection and of course the condition of the atf when drained ( and oil pan removed.) . But my point is that a faulty ECU can ultimately damage a transmission. Case in point is the 2001-03 Rav4. It is just that it is quite rare for this to happen in a 2007 camry 4 cyl, except where there was serious water ingress, for example... It is quite unfortunate as it seems that he might not have taken the pains to properly diagnose the Transmission codes before making the decision to replace.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 11:50am On Jul 22, 2017
Inception:

How can it be a modified one? I went with my mechanic though and he confirmed its a tokunbo gear box. The gear expert I tend to believe him cuz, he was just para-ing up n down. Lol.. Told me to get glbew shaft cup or he won't finish up cuz the cup will spoil the gear. Told him to put and I'll manage. He refused o. Par a join sef. I just had to.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 11:50am On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:

The other gear box couldn't select beyond 2. And jerks alot l. Revs up before entering gear 3 and jerks and, after long usage it jerks to enter gear one or two. Although my mechanic told me im likely to get a new brain box after getting new gear. He's got a scanning machine so what he saw. Made him say that. Yes I still have the old gear box.

sent you a pm.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 11:53am On Jul 22, 2017
Inception:

Of course i know. Internal damage can easily be proven by physical inspection and of course the condition of the atf when drained ( and oil pan removed.) . But my point is that a faulty ECU can ultimately damage a transmission. Case in point is the 2001-03 Rav4. It is just that it is quite rare for this to happen in a 2007 camry 4 cyl, except where there was serious water ingress, for example... It is quite unfortunate as it seems that he might not have taken the pains to properly diagnose the Transmission codes before making the decision to replace.
. I did a thorough scan and uploaded it. Here. Two clutches were off and one solenoid below performance or so and I also noticed the oil pan had been pressed when he took the old gear box out
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 11:56am On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:

How can it be a modified one? I went with my mechanic though and he confirmed its a tokunbo gear box. The gear expert I tend to believe him cuz, he was just para-ing up n down. Lol.. Told me to get glbew shaft cup or he won't finish up cuz the cup will spoil the gear. Told him to put and I'll manage. He refused o. Par a join sef. I just had to.
Did you buy from Ladipo? A lot of wonders happen there bro. was it a 10 pin or 13 pin gear( U250E) you bought? the only way this can be confirmed is by running a vin check.
Can i have your contact?

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 11:56am On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:

Did you buy from Ladipo? A lot of wonders happen there bro. was it a 10 pin or 13 pin gear( U250E) you bought? the only way this can be confirmed is by running a vin check.

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 11:58am On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:
. I did a thorough scan and uploaded it. Here. Two clutches were off and one solenoid below performance or so and I also noticed the oil pan had been pressed when he took the old gear box out
Can i have your contact?
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by mayor2013: 12:00pm On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:

Now I remember. That gear box is gone already (older one). But in a case where you have bought another but you still have a slipping transmission, be sure what you where given was a good transmission and I hope what you where given is same as what originally came with your car if not you are on your way to the popular conversion where you might just need to changed your ecu and do some rewiring

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 12:13pm On Jul 22, 2017
mayor2013:

Now I remember. That gear box is gone already (older one). But in a case where you have bought another but you still have a slipping transmission, be sure what you where given was a good transmission and I hope what you where given is same as what originally came with your car if not you are on your way to the popular conversion where you might just need to changed your ecu and do some rewiring
im sure it is. Its a 13pjn. Exactly as mine when they brought it. I checked every nook and cranky of the gear it was the same. So now I left the car thete they said they will test brain box till it works fine before I pay and leave
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 12:20pm On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:
im sure it is. Its a 13pjn. Exactly as mine when they brought it. I checked every nook and cranky of the gear it was the same. So now I left the car thete they said they will test brain box till it works fine before I pay and leave

Chief,

The 10 pin and 13 pin gearbox looks very, very similar. the only difference is the socket (10 vs 13 pin). Unfortunately, the boys at Ladipo have got a way around this to deceive people.

The Only way you can confirm that it is not is only via a vin check.

If you can, copy the VIN number ( it is written on a plate and riveted to the gearbox body) and post it here. See the pic below...

then we can confirm if it is compatible with your car or not.

I am interested in your Old gearbox. Again, how do i contact you? I have been sending PMs to you but no response.

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 12:24pm On Jul 22, 2017
I don't have the Vin. Like I said I looked into. It well. Both gear expert and my mechanics confirmed its a 13pin besides its the gear box seller that gave me gear box fixer
Inception:

Chief,

The 10 pin and 13 pin gearbox looks very, very similar.

The Only way you can confirm that it is not is only via a vin check.

If you can, copy the VIN number ( it is written on a plate and riveted to the gearbox body) and post it here

then we can confirm if it is compatible with your car or not.

I am interested in your Old gearbox. Again, how do i contact you? I have been sending PMs to you but no response.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 12:27pm On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:
I don't have the Vin. Like I said I looked into. It well. Both gear expert and my mechanics confirmed its a 13pin besides its the gear box seller that gave me gear box fixer

Ok. How do i contact you? or are you interested in selling the old one for a token? grin
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by princetom1(m): 12:50pm On Jul 22, 2017
This one wey dem dey ask op for number and he no dey reply, e be like say him get too much money. hian...

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 1:32pm On Jul 22, 2017
Inception:

Ok. How do i contact you? or are you interested in selling the old one for a token? grin

Let me have my car running perfectly and I'll get in touch with you
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 1:33pm On Jul 22, 2017
mayor2013:

Is it possible to reprogram or program a brain box to work with a gear box? If so how safe is that?
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Inception(m): 1:41pm On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:

Let me have my car running perfectly and I'll get in touch with you
All the best.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Autopartz: 1:56pm On Jul 22, 2017
Tripsonline:

The fair price of a U250e gearbox for your Camry 2007 is now about 220k excluding shipping and installation.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by computerglobal(m): 10:42am On Jul 23, 2017
For Vin Checks and Report History Service

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

Sms vin to 08060365068
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by computerglobal(m): 10:45am On Jul 23, 2017
Tripsonline:

For Vin Checks and Report History Service

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

Sms vin to 08060365068

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by galaxi(m): 9:53pm On Jul 23, 2017
Tripsonline:
I had exact problem with my car two months ago after changing the gear box (es300 2004),after severally attempt to get the car fixed i was introduced to an auto electrician that suggested change of brain box and after the change i have been enjoying my car without headache.
I think this 13 pin gear box wahala too much!
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 8:30am On Jul 24, 2017
mayor2013:
A bad ecu can make a gearbox go faulty. A gearbox making an ecu go faulty by default is a "NO". If only both has been praticalised with. State your car's problem let's know how to answer your question rightly

Can this fault be instant? Like fixing a new transmission and gets burnt by the faulty ecu?
Called the mechanic now and he told me the transmission is faulty and needs to be changed that the faulty ecu caused it and I was like.... The transmission must have been bad for it to spoil within 20mins after installing,.
Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by Tripsonline: 8:33am On Jul 24, 2017
galaxi:

I had exact problem with my car two months ago after changing the gear box (es300 2004),after severally attempt to get the car fixed i was introduced to an auto electrician that suggested change of brain box and after the change i have been enjoying my car without headache.
I think this 13 pin gear box wahala too much!

So the mechs say, the wahala too much.. But I don't think my ecu is faulty cuz I do diagnose it time to time and I wasn't told its bad and needs to be changed, was only told that when I change my transmission im likely to change the brain box cuz the brain box might reject it until it get one its compatible with

1 Like

Re: Camry 07 Brain Box And Gear Box by mayor2013: 9:23am On Jul 24, 2017
Tripsonline:

Can this fault be instant? Like fixing a new transmission and gets burnt by the faulty ecu?
Called the mechanic now and he told me the transmission is faulty and needs to be changed that the faulty ecu caused it and I was like.... The transmission must have been bad for it to spoil within 20mins after installing,.

Get a grade one gearbox. Install it and make sure all is well.as for your question over time it will

(1) (2) (Reply)

A/c Compressor Issue / 4 Reasons Why Nigerians Usually Have More Than One Auto Mechanic / [b]daihatsu Hijet Vs Suzuki Every[/b]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.