Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes (44834 Views)

5 Biggest Nigerian-International Music Collaborations Of All-Time / What Rap collaborations are most powerful you ever heard?!! list of the best / 5 Biggest Nigerian International Collaborations Of 2017 So Far - Synord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by naptu2: 12:35pm On Jul 22, 2017
50 collaborations between Nigerian and foreign artistes

This is another celebration of Nigerian music, particularly its international flavour. Nigerian musicians have been collaborating with their foreign counterparts almost since the beginning of time and this has often produced a blend of styles like highlife, soukous, jazz, afrobeat, hip hop, reggae, etc.

This thread is made up of collaborations between Nigerian and foreign A list musicians. It doesn’t include musicians who were simply members of international bands (so people like Remi Kabaka, Lasisi Amao, Fred Coker and Mike Odumosu are not listed). The list also only includes recorded tracks that were released as singles or part of an album, so stage collaborations, such as that between Majek Fashek and Tracy Chapman, are not included.

There are three themes that run through this thread:

1) Laughter – When you hear foreigners trying to sing in Pidgin English.
2) Controversy over ownership of songs.
3) Grammy nominated and Grammy winning albums.

1) King Sunny Ade featuring Stevie Wonder – Ase (1984)
King Sunny Ade was very popular in Nigeria in the 1970s, but it was in the early 1980s that his popularity really blossomed worldwide. His 1982 album, Juju was well received in Europe and the United States and his 1983 album, Syncro System was nominated for a Grammy award in the “ethnic/traditional folk recording” category (at the 1984 Grammy awards), making him the first Nigerian to be nominated for a Grammy award (his 1998 album, Odu was also nominated for a Grammy award, making him the first Nigerian to be nominated twice).

He is one of two Nigerians on this list that also had brief Hollywood careers. His music was featured in the 1983 film Breathless, starring Richard Gere and the 1986 comedy One More Saturday Night and he acted in Robert Altman’s 1987comedy O.C. and Stiggs.

Sunny had a special place in my heart at this time. I was very ill c1984 and there was a radio beside my bed. They kept playing Gbeyo Gbeyo over and over and that song practically brought me back to life. Listening to that song in the place between sleep and wake is simply magical (or maybe it was just the drugs. Who knows?)

Stevie Wonder featured on the track Ase which is on Sunny’s 1984 album, Aura. He played the harmonica solo. His part was recorded at the Wonderland Studios in California. Sunny often played this song during his world tour (he toured Europe, North America, Japan, Australia, etc.) and I’ve included a video of him performing the song in Japan. First is a video of the album version of the song, then a video of the live performance in Japan.

King Sunny Ade & His African Beats featuring Stevie Wonder on harmonica – Ase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ofM-tYj4zM

King Sunny Ade & His African Beats in Japan, performing Ase on October 26th, 1984.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J24dvzeUJ0

2) Femi Anikulapo-Kuti featuring Macy Gray, D’Angelo and Nile Rodgers – Water No Get Enemy (2002).

This song is one of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti’s most famous songs and it was on the B side of his 1975 album, Expensive Shit. Femi Anikulapo-Kuti covered the song in 2002 and featured American musicians D’Angelo (Brown Sugar, etc.) and Macy Gray (I Try, Request Line, Sweet Baby, etc.) on it.

I just discovered that Nile Rodgers also played on the track. Nile Rodgers is responsible for a lot of the joys of my childhood. He was a member of the fantastic disco group Chic, which made multiple hit songs in the late 1970s and early ‘80s (Freak Out, Chic Cheer, I Want Your Love, Everybody Dance, Good Times, etc.). They are one of my favourite disco groups. He and another member of Chic, Bernie Edwards, also wrote and produced songs for Diana Ross (Upside Down, I’m Coming Out, etc.), Sister Sledge (We Are Family, He’s The Greatest Dancer, etc.) and David Bowie (Let’s Dance, etc.). He is also a badass guitarist.

One of my favourite parts of this song is when Macy Gray tries to sing in Pidgin English.
If you wan cook soup, na water you go use.
If your head dey hot, na water you go use.

It sounds so funny. Listen and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkRULPL7q6Y

3) D’Banj ft Snoop Dogg – Mr Endowed (2011)

D’Banj and his Mo’Hits crew conquered Africa in the late 2000s and D’Banj wanted more. He wanted to break into the US market and become popular globally. This was the first step in his bid to fulfil his desires. He teamed up with US rap star Snoop Dogg and they made this huge remake of his song Mr Endowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0h8mbfUyAg

4) Wizkid ft Drake and Skepta – Ojuelegba remix (2014)
Wizkid has dominated the Nigerian music scene since his debut single Holla At Your Boy in 2010. He has gone on to release a string of hits, including Don’t Dull, Tease Me and Pakurumo. His music has matured in the past eight years and it has increasingly tilted towards afrobeat.

This song is heavily influenced by Fela’s Confusion Break Bone and Dr Dre’s Nothing But A G Thang. The original track was released in 2014 and it’s in Wizkid’s 2014 album, Ayo.

Skepta is a British-Nigerian rapper and grime artist. He engineered the collaboration between Wizkid and Drake (who is now signed on to Skepta’s record label) and he also featured on the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdDpr--__YY

5) Mickey Hart ft Babatunde Olatunji, Sikiru Adepoju, Zakir Hussain, T.H. Vinayakram, Airto Moreira, Flora Purim, Giovanni Hidalgo and Frank Colon – Planet Drum (Grammy Award winning album).

Babatunde Olatunji is one of the greatest musicians to have come out of Africa. He grew up in the village of Ajido, near Badagry. He often snuck out to watch the festivals and masquerades in his village and he was fascinated by the drummers. He learnt how to play the drums from those musicians.

Olatunji read about Rotary International’s scholarship programme in an edition of Reader’s Digest. He applied, was accepted and went to the United States in 1950 to study at Moorehouse College in Atlanta.

Olatunji continued to play music at Moorehouse College and at New York University where he later studied public administration. A record executive from Columbia Records heard Olatunji’s performance with the Radio City Music Hall orchestra and signed him to the record label in 1957.
Babatunde Olatunji released Drums of Passion, his first of 6 albums for Columbia Records, in 1959. The album was a huge success and it got to number 13 on the Billboard Charts. The song Jin-Go-Lo-Ba was particularly very popular and it has been covered by various artists including Carlos Santana (on Santana’s first album), Manu Dibango (featuring King Sunny Ade) and Fatboy Slim.

This album made Olatunji very popular in the United States and he collaborated with many legendary American musicians including John Coltrane, Quincy Jones, Stevie Wonder and Cannonball Adderley (he was often credited as Michael Olatunji on those collaborations). He was particularly good friends with John Coltrane, who helped him set up the Olatunji Centre for African Culture in New York. Coltrane dedicated a track, Tunji on his 1962 album, Coltrane, to Babatunde Olatunji.

Babatunde Olatunji also appeared on major US network television shows like The Ed Sullivan Show and The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

Sikiru Adepoju went to the United States in 1985 in search of Babatunde Olatunji and Orlando Julius. His father had been a popular drummer in Eruwa and he taught his children how to play. Olatunji introduced Sikiru Adepoju to his friends, including Grateful Dead drummer, Mickey Hart.

Musician, musicologist and drummer for the Grateful Dead, Mickey Hart had an idea to make an album in which all the best drummers from around the world would feature.

The album featured Mickey Hart (United States), Zakir Hussain and T.H. “Vikku” Vinayakram (both from India), Babatunde Olatunji and Sikiru Adepoju (from Nigeria), Airto Moreira and his wife Flora Purim (from Brazil) and Giovanni Hidalgo and Frank Colon from Puerto Rico.

Babatunde Olatunji contributed a track, Jewe (You Are The One), to the album and played on all but one of the other tracks.

The album won the first ever Grammy Award in the “World Music Album” category at the 1992 Grammy Award ceremony.

Unfortunately I can’t find a YouTube video of Jewe (You Are The One), but here is a video of (1) Carlos Santana and Mickey Hart talking about Babatunde Olatunji (2) Babatunde Olatunji and Carlos Santana performing Akiwowo, which Olatunji originally recorded in 1959 (the video is from a stage performance while the audio is from the album).

Carlos Santana and Mickey Hart talk about Babatunde Olatunji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1dnAFjT6s

Babatunde Olatunji and his drums of passion ft Carlos Santana - Akiwowo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dadp6ZZx_Bs

6) Dr Alban ft Leila K – Hello Africa (1990)
Dr Alban went to Sweden to study dentistry. He became a DJ, in order to make some money on the side and then released this hit song in 1990.

The song got to number 1 on the charts in Austria, number 2 in Germany, number 3 in Switzerland, number 7 in both Spain and Sweden, number 19 in Italy, 24 in the Netherlands and number 180 in Australia. It was on heavy rotation on MTV (he was labelled as a Swede on MTV, but we all know that he is Nigerian) and on FM stations in Nigeria. The song was also very popular across Africa. He featured Leila K, a Swede of Moroccan descent, on the track.

The video was partly shot in Lagos and in Sweden.

Dr Alban had a string of hits in the 1990s and he is featured several times on this list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3I8BISQfWc

7) 2 Face ft Beenie Man and Reggie Rockstone – Nfana Ibaga (2008)
2Face Idibia initially become famous as a member of the Plantashun Boiz, a boy group that had a string of hits in Nigeria in the late 1990s and early 2000s. He went solo in 2004 and his debut album Face2Face was incredibly successful and it spawned many hits. The most famous song on the album was African Queen, a song that was popular throughout Africa and the Caribbean and was featured on the soundtrack of the Hollywood movie, Phat Girlz. 2Face has gone on to release many successful albums.

The original version of this song was in the Face2Face album, which was released in 2004. 2face got Jamaican dancehall star Beenie Man and Ghanaian rapper Reggie Rockstone to feature in this remix, which was released in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKvMgA14O4

cool P Square ft T.I. – Ejeajo (2014)

PSquare (made up of twins Peter and Paul) has been the most successful group in Nigeria since their debut in 2003. They have released several successful albums and their fame has spread beyond Nigeria to the rest of Africa and Europe. There have been videos of stars like Robin Van Persie, Rihanna, the French Olympic team, etc. enjoying their music and they have a cult following on YouTube.

PSquare have collaborated with foreign artistes many times and so they have multiple tracks on this list.

They featured American rapper T.I. on this song which was heavily influenced by Prince’s 1979 hit I Wanna Be Your Lover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxoJ7rkiktQ

9) Fela Anikulapo-Kuti ft Roy Ayers – Music of Many Colours (1980)
Back in the 1980s I used to think to myself that there was a trinity of African living legends (ok, maybe a quartet). They are Fela Anikulapo-Kuti from Nigeria, Manu Dibango from Cameroon and Hugh Masekela from South Africa (the fourth person is Miriam Makeba of South Africa). Three of these people are featured in this list.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti needs no introduction. In the late 1970s Fela toured Nigeria with American jazz musician (who did the soundtrack for the popular movie Coffy) Roy Ayers. This album, Music of Many Colours is the result of that collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEGU1p8PUAA

10) Dr Alban ft Michael Rose – Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner (Carolina) (1997).

This song was originally done by legendary Jamaican group Black Uhuru (who also sang Shine Eye Gyal) in 1980. Michael Rose was the lead singer of the group at that time and Dr Alban featured him in his cover of the song. It’s one of my favourite songs by Dr Alban.

Dr Alban teamed up with his cousin, Charlie Boy, almost ten years after releasing this song, to make a Pidgin English version of the song. If you want to have a good laugh, listen to this version, then listen to the Pidgin English version to hear how Dr Alban and Charlie Boy interpreted the song.

Dr Alban featuring Michael Rose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTJ3LQ8TrM

Dr Alban featuring Charlie Boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YMs-a6n4Q

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by naptu2: 12:35pm On Jul 22, 2017
11) 2Face ft R Kelly and Natz - Flex (2008)
This song is inspired by Mad Cobra’s 1992 hit Flex. There was controversy about this song in the Nigerian media because another version of the song by Shaggy featuring R Kelly was released at almost the same time. Some Nigerian bloggers and journalists alleged that 2Face stole the song and dubbed over Shaggy’s voice.

However, R Kelly collaborated with 2Face on another track (Hands Across The World) in 2010 and he clarified at that time that 2Face did not steal the song Flex and he praised 2Face for what he had achieved in his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbf7NyOEbvE

12) P Square ft Rick Ross – Beautiful Onyinye (2012)
Another great PSquare collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6FEd2-6rt8

13) Tee Mac ft Marjorie Barnes - Night Illusion (1980)

Tee Mac Iseli was born to a Swiss father and a Nigerian mother. His father was a diplomat in Lagos, who left the diplomatic service and went into business in Lagos. He was assassinated on Martin Street in Lagos. His mother subsequently sent him to Switzerland to live with his uncle, J.J. Dirndirger, who was a composer. Direndirger taught Tee Mac music and ensured that he was formally educated in music. He studied music and economics at universities in Switzerland. His main instrument is the flute.

Tee Mac is a very patriotic Nigerian and so, after university, he decided that he must return home. He returned to Nigeria to discover that his mother had married the famous Nigerian businessman, Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony. Sir Mobolaji took Tee Mac as his own son, advised him that he couldn’t make money from music in Nigeria and offered him a job in his company.

Tee Mac declined the offer of a job at A. Bank-Anthony and Sons, but he got another regular job, in order to please his step-father. He still believed that he could make money from music in Nigeria, so he created his first band, Tee Mac and Afro Collection, in the early 1970s. This band had a lot of famous Nigerian musicians in it, including Tunde Kuboye, Laolu Akins, the Lijadu Sisters and Johnny Haastrup.

He later moved to London and created his first European band, Tee Mac United, with whom he recorded many tracks. However, he wasn’t so successful financially while he was in London and he was beginning to think that his step-father was right, he couldn’t make any money in music. So he decided to go and work in a bank in Germany.

He moved to Hamburg, where he got involved in another band called Silver Bird Convention. He wrote, arranged and played music with the band and toured the world with them. Silver Bird Convention was very successful, particularly in the United States where they had massive hits with the songs Fly Robin, Fly[,i] and [i]Get Up And Boogie. The song Fly Robin Fly got to number 1 on the Billboard Charts and won a Grammy Award for best R&B instrumental. However, Tee Mac had a dispute with Michael Kunze, the producer of Silver Convention and left the band.

He moved back to London where he conducted orchestras and arranged music for legendary British singer, Shirley Bassey, who also has Nigerian ancestry (her father was Nigerian). Dame Shirley Bassey was very popular for singing James Bond theme songs (Diamonds Are Forever, Goldfinger and Moonraker) and Tee Mac was very pleased to work with her. He later signed a contract with Universal Studies to compose soundtracks for them. Tee Mac made a lot of money in Hollywood and he invested most of that money in Nigeria.

In Nigeria Tee Mac was part of what I call the Sunday Morning group. The NTA had a slot on Sunday mornings for highlife and jazz music shows in the early 1980s and Tee Mac featured on them quite regularly. There was the Art Alade Show, the Yom-Yem Show and Tee Mac even had his own show, the Tee Mac Show. What fascinated me at that time, even more than his music, was his showmanship and stage craft. He (1) wore incredibly tight and shiny clothes (2) had the strangest moustache and beard that I had ever seen (3) often wore a cape (4) wore dark glasses and (5) twirled his flute as if it was a marching band’s baton. He had many hits in Nigeria, including NEPA Oh, NEPA.

Tee Mac is a pioneer member of the Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN) and the Musical Society of Nigeria (MUSON). He has often advocated that the government of Nigeria should ensure that every child in Nigeria learns to read and write music. He was elected PMAN president in 2007.

He is a very successful businessman in Nigeria, having invested some of the money that he made from Hollywood in the solid mineral industry in Nigeria. He is also very proud of his Itsekiri heritage and was awarded the national honour of the Member of the Federal Republic (MFR) by President Yar’Adua, for his efforts to bring peace to the Niger Delta.

Marjorie Barnes is an American jazz singer who starred in many Broadway plays including Dreamgirls, Hair and I Love My Wife. She was also a member of the popular American group The Fifth Dimension in the late 1970s. She has worked alongside stars like Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davies Junior and Lena Horne. Tee Mac featured her on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viHDu3XbFiQ

14) Lagbaja, Youssou N’Dour, Papa Wemba, Lucky Dube, Lourdes Van Dunem and Jabu Khanyile and Bayete – So Why (1997)
Lagbaja was one of the most popular musicians in Nigeria in the 1990s and early 2000s, but it wasn’t always like that. I remember the very first time that I saw Lagbaja, live at Lekki Sunsplash in December 1993.

The crowd had been waiting all day at the Lekki Beach to see Fela play. Lots of musicians had already performed and it was evening when a strange guy in a mask mounted the stage. The guy got on stage and started repeating, “The way, the way, the way way” and suddenly all the frustration, anger and tiredness in the audience boiled over. The first bottle landed on stage, then another and then there was a hail of bottles landing on the stage. I retreated to safety near the palm trees as Lagbaja ran off the stage. The organisers had to send Ras Kimono back on stage to pacify the crowd.
However, Lagbaja went on to produce a string of hits in the 1990s and 2000s including Africalypso, Coolu Temper, Suuru Lere, Konko Below and Nothing For You. I particularly like his 2000 album in which he showed his versatility by recording tracks in various genres including afro-beat, juju, highlife, fuji and jazz.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) decided to make a charity album to fund its work in Africa. They decided to get some of the most famous African musicians to feature on the album. They got together Lagbaja from Nigeria, Youssou N’Dour from Senegal, Lucky Dube from South Africa, Papa Wemba from Congo, Lourdes Van-Dunem from Angola and Jabu Khanyile and Bayete from South Africa.

The ICRC took the musicians on a tour of refugee camps across Africa and produced a documentary about the tour. The musicians then got into the studio and produced this anthem against war and poverty called So Why?

So Why? (ICRC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ieaP3PZWPQ

So Why (on stage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyqLdXorh8A

15) The Pulse ft Busta Rhymes - Pray Sotey (2009)
Star Lager Beer had a music competition called Star Quest in the 2000s. Contestants had to be able to play at least one musical instrument and they were formed up into bands which competed against each other. The Pulse was the winner of the 2009 edition of the competition and they were rewarded with a recording contract with Kennis Music. Nigerian Breweries, makers of Star Lager Beer, also engineered a collaboration between The Pulse and American rapper, Busta Rhymes. Busta Rhymes was in the country for the annual Star Mega Jam concert. This song is the result of that collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzYQ0Lxv6I

16) David O ft Meek Mill – Fans Mi (2015)
Davido caught the public’s attention with his hit song Dami Duro in 2011. He has had a string of hits since then and has featured many foreign artistes on his songs. He is featured multiple times on this list.

Davido featured American rapper Meek Mill on this 2015 hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E6pwUO1b7s

17) Fela Anikulapo-Kuti ft Ginger Baker – Live! (1971)

Ginger Baker is an English drummer and founder of the rock band Cream. He spent a lot of time in Nigeria in the 1970s, recording and studying African music and he became a good friend of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. You can see some videos of his interactions with Fela on YouTube. They are taken from his documentary Ginger Baker in Africa.
He was instrumental in settling the rift between Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Paul McCartney. Paul McCartney was bored with recording in the UK and so he decided to record his album “Band On The Run” at EMI studios in Apapa, Lagos in 1973. (You can read about everything that happened during McCartney’s visit on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1387857/foreign-local-musical-tributes-nigeria ) . McCartney went to watch Fela play at the Shrine, but Fela confronted him and accused him of coming to exploit and steal African music.

Fela had good reason to be concerned. James Brown toured Nigeria in 1970. Fela’s legendary drummer, Tony Allen claims that James Brown sent his arranger, David Mathews, to check him out and that David Mathews took notes about how he played. James Brown’s bassist, William “Bootsy” Collins said that they went to Fela’s club (the Shrine) in Lagos and they were amazed by what they saw.
“I mean, this is the James Brown band, but we were totally wiped out! That is one trip I wouldn’t trade for anything in the world”.
In another interview he said, “I thought THEY were the greatest, period. Even before I got into the James Brown band, the James Brown band was number one to me. But once I got there and saw Fela and them, then I had second thoughts about it. . .when I heard these cats, it was like another dimension. . .a deeper feel to me. . .it was like, ‘Man, this is IT. We gotta try to be like this!” [laughs] (read more here http://afrofunkforum..com.ng/2006/04/felajames-brown-connection.html?m=1)

So Fela thought that Paul McCartney had also come to steal African music without giving anything back or crediting the source of the music. Fela also went to EMI studios to confront McCartney. Everything was resolved when McCartney and his group played their music for Fela so that he could hear that there wasn’t any African influence in it. Ginger Baker was also able to bring them together and he also invited McCartney to record at his studio in Ikeja.

Tony Allen is probably the most famous former member of Fela’s band. Fela writes the music for his band and all the members of the band must play what he has written. Dele Sosimi (former keyboardist for both Fela and Femi) gave an example in a BBC interview in the early 2000s. He said that they would be rehearsing and Fela would suddenly stop the band. “Who’s that?” he would shout and when he has identified the person that played the offending note, he would order the manager to deduct two weeks wages from the person’s salary. They must always play what Fela has written.

However, it was very different with Tony Allen. Fela would compose the melody and bring it to Tony Allen and ask him, “What can you play to this melody?” and Tony Allen would play something and Fela would go, “Yeah! Yeah! That’s it!” Tony Allen was not just the drummer of Africa 70, he was also the musical director of the band.

Some of my friends who were drummers have nicknamed Tony Allen “the Octopus” because they say that he drums with his hands, elbows and feet, as if he has eight limbs.

In 1978 Fela married 27 women at a go. He also set up a political party called Movement of The People, in order to contest in the 1979 Nigerian presidential elections. Tony Allen said that he also noticed that a lot of strange people started hanging around Fela. He decided that Fela was no longer serious and left the band. Fela had to hire two drummers to play the rhythms that Tony Allen singlehandedly played. Tony Allen has lived in Paris, France for a long time and he records and plays music over there.

There is a track on this album called Drum Solo. It is like a drum battle between Ginger Baker and Tony Allen. Ginger Baker is drumming in the European style while Tony Allen is drumming in the African style. It’s my favourite track on the album.

The first video is of the whole album, so only watch it if you have enough data. The second video is of Drum Solo, the battle between Tony Allen and Ginger Baker.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Ginger Baker – Live! (full album)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20UbO62UJUg

Tony Allen vs. Ginger Baker (Drum Solo) part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIawMBojgvI

Tony Allen vs. Ginger Baker (Drum Solo) part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAeu9LJQDr4

18) Tony Tetuilla ft Tic Tac – Fefe Ne Efe (2004)
Tony Tetuilla was a member of the group Remedies, which found success in the Nigerian music scene in the late 1990s. A dispute with other members of the group led to him leaving c1999 and starting a solo career on the Kennis Music label.

Tic Tac is a Ghanaian musician who was signed on the Kennis Music label. Tony Tetuila featured him on this track which samples the bassline from Fela Anikulapo-Kuti’s Water No Get Enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMkY65LM33s

19) P Square ft Akon and May D – Chop My Money (2012)
PSquare featured their prodigy May D and American musician Akon on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvYil4HVa8

20) Davido ft R Kelly - If (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x41dLEcJbM0

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by naptu2: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2017
21) Hugh Masekela ft Orlando Julius - Ashiko (1975)

Back in the 1980s I used to think to myself that there was a trinity of African living legends (or maybe a quartet). They were Fela Anikulapo-Kuti from Nigeria, Hugh Masekela from South Africa and Manu Dibango from Cameroon (the other person was Miriam Makeba from South Africa).

Hugh Masekela is a legendary South African jazz musician. He went on exile in 1960 due to the apartheid policies of the then South African government. He lived in various African countries (including Nigeria and Botswana), the United States and the United Kingdom from 1960-1990. He has been nominated for three Grammy awards (in 1969, 1989 and 2012) and collaborated with Paul Simon on his Grammy award winning album, Graceland, which was released in 1986. His song Bring Him Back Home, which he performed at Nelson Mandela’s birthday concert, became an anthem of the anti-apartheid struggle in the late 1980s. Hugh Masekela was a very good friend of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti.

Orlando Julius has been playing a blend of African and western music since the 1960s. He spent most of the 1970s and early 1980s in the United States (where he married his American wife, Latoya, who is one of his dancers and backup singers). He collaborated with a lot of American musicians, including James Brown and Lamont Dozier, while he was in the US. He and Fela were the most popular acts releasing afro-beat songs in Nigeria in the 1980s. My favourite songs by Orlando are Dance Afrobeat (1984) which was a huge success in Nigeria and his 2000 track Ololufe (which is a remix of one of his earlier songs).

Orlando Julius and James Brown.

This song was written by Orlando Julius and he also played the saxophone on the track. It was on Hugh Masekela’s 1975 album The Boy’s Doing It. Orlando Julius also co-wrote the title track of the album (along with Masekela and four others). The song was produced by Stewart Levine.
The song was heavily sampled by Lamont Dozier (an American singer, song writer and producer) in 1977. He called his version, “Going Back To My Roots” and it was also produced by Stewart Levine. Orlando Julius was paid a few thousand dollars for this version, but he was not credited on the album. Hugh Masekela was credited instead.

The song was covered by Odyssey (an American group) in 1981. This version was a massive hit in Nigeria. I remember that it was played on radio, TV and at parties in Lagos. I never would have imagined that Orlando Julius wrote the song if Caveatemptor had not informed me some time ago.
Orlando Julius also heard the song being played all over Lagos and he recognised that it was basically the same song that he wrote. He was not paid for this version, neither was he credited for it. He contacted his American lawyers and they started working on the matter, but at a point they said that they had a conflict of interest and that’s how the matter died.
Here is Orlando Julius talking about the song “Going Back To My Roots”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Nn3rdgznM

Hugh Masekela featuring Orlando Julius – Ashiko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scL3tmN3H8k

Odyssey – Going Back To My Roots (this was the video that was shown on NTA2 Channel 5 over and over again).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hussyi2HsMU

22) Femi Kuti ft Common - Missing Link (2001)
Femi featured American rapper Common on this track which is on his 2001 album Fight To Win. The album was nominated in the World Music category at the 2002 Grammy awards.

I don’t have a video of this track, but here’s a video of Femi and Common performing live at Central Park in New York in 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwlIBUVI0o

23) P Square ft Dave Scott – Bring It On (2014)
P Square featured Atlanta’s ‘one man band’, Dave Scott on this uplifting track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUxptvq-Gjw

24) B-Red ft Akon – Cucumber (2015)

Davido’s cousin, B-Red, featured Akon on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yIepOxh6QI

25) King Sunny Ade ft Manu Dibango – Jingo (1994)
Manu Dibango is an African music living legend. He is credited with popularising the Makossa genre of music (it existed before him, but he made it very popular). The word Makossa means “I Dance” in the Douala language of Cameroon.

His 1972 worldwide hit, Soul Makossa has been sampled by countless musicians, especially the refrain which goes ”Ma ma ko, ma ma sa, ma ma makossa”.

Michael Jackson stole it and used it in his 1982 hit song Wanna Be Starting Something. Manu Dibango sued him, but they settled out of court. Rihanna’s people then asked Michael Jackson’s people for permission to use the refrain and rather than refer them to Manu Dibango, they gave her permission, so she used it in her 2007 hit Please Don’t Stop The Music. Manu Dibango then sued both Michael Jackson and Rihanna and won.

This song was originally done by Babatunde Olatunji in 1960. He called it Jin-Go-Lo-Ba. It was covered by Carlos Santana in his debut album in 1969. He called it Jingo. Then Cameroonian legend, Manu Dibango and King Sunny Ade covered the song in 1994. Their version is titled Jingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_tt3jLRUR4

26) 2Face ft VIP - My Love (2007)
2Face featured Ghanaian rappers VIP on his cover of Harry Belafonte’s classic 1957 hit Jamaica Farewell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G6vwwQVG-c

27) Drake ft Wizkid and Kyla – One Dance (2016)
Canadian singer and rapper, Drake, heavily sampled from British artiste Kyla’s 2008 song Do You Mind for this 2016 hit in which he featured Wizkid. The song got to number 1 on the Billboard charts and it was also number one in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

Unfortunately I can’t get a YouTube video for the song because the record company has blocked it (there are many fake versions on YouTube).

28) Victor Olaiya & ET Mensah – Highlife Giants Of Africa (1984)

This is like when you have two absolute legends in any field and you want to see both of them perform together. Emmanuel Tettey “E.T.” Mensah was known as the “King of Highlife”, while Dr Victor Olaiya was known as the “Evil Genius of Highlife”.

Highlife existed before E.T. Mensah, but there’s no doubt that he made it popular in Ghana and Nigeria (he toured Nigeria in 1950). He was probably the most popular West African musician in the 1950s. One of his songs, All For You was made into a Yoruba folk song called Bamijo and he toured Britain in 1953.
His independence song, Ghana Freedom became like a second national anthem in Ghana and he performed with American jazz legend, Louis Armstrong at the Ghanaian Independence concert in 1957. He died in 1996.

Nigerian highlife maestro, Dr Victor Olaiya, was incredibly popular in the 1950s, ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s. He played in both the Sammy Akpabot band and the Bobby Benson band before starting out on his own. He released many classic hits like Baby Jowo, Omolanke and my favourite, Omo Pupa.
Afrobeat legends Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Tony Allen both played in Dr Victor Olaiya’s band before Fela formed his first band the Koola Lobitos.

Dr Victor Olaiya is still playing and recording music and he released a remake of his hit Baby Jowo, in which he featured 2Face Idibia in 2014.

E.T. Mensah and Victor Olaiya collaborated on the album called “Highlife Giants of Africa” in 1984. There was some dispute over who wrote one of the songs on the album, but I can’t remember which of the songs (it was a long time ago). I’ve selected this track from the album and it’s called Yabomisa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8je5UjCTjk

29) Femi Kuti ft Mos Def - Do Your Best (2001)
Femi featured American rapper Mos Def on this track which is on his 2001 album Fight To Win. The album was nominated in the World Music category at the 2002 Grammy awards.

Unfortunately I can’t find a YouTube video of the album version of Do Your Best, but here’s a video of Femi performing Do Your Best live in Boston in 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ocRsFalK0

30) Chawki ft Dr Alban – It’s My Life (Don’t Worry) (2014)
This song was initially a massive hit for Dr Alban in 1992. It was number one in the charts in Sweden, Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium and number two in the UK charts. In the US it got to number 88 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and number 3 on the Billboard Dance Music chart. It was used in tampon adverts in the UK and France and in a Guinness advert in Nigeria. It was also featured in a Bollywood movie. Lots of artistes have covered the song.

Nigerian gossip journalists made a lot of money from this song. They wrote stories in which they claimed that Dr Alban was referring to his father in the song. Some even said that his father wanted him to come back to Nigeria or to stop making music and practice dentistry instead. Dr Alban denied all these rumours.
Moroccan singer Chawki featured Dr Alban in his 2014 cover version of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3PRClJTdk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by naptu2: 12:39pm On Jul 22, 2017
31) Angelique Kidjo ft Asa - Eva (2013)

Angelique Kidjo is a Benenoise singer who became popular in 1991 when she released her debut album Logozo. She featured Manu Dibango and Branford Marsalis on the album and it spawned the hits Batonga and We We. The album got to number one on the Billboard world music chart.
However, she is better known in Nigeria for her second album Aye, which was released in 1994 and particularly for the track Agolo, which got her her first Grammy nomination. The song was a worldwide hit.

Ms Kidjo has won 3 Grammy awards for best world music album in 2004, 2014 and 2015 and released many hits including Wombolombo and a cover of Jimmy Hendrix’s Voodoo Child.

She expressed a desire to work with Nigerian artistes in the early 2000s, but she said that she didn’t know which ones to trust.

France based Nigerian musician Asa attended the famous Peter King College of Music in Lagos where she learnt to play the guitar in 6 months. She moved to France (where she was born) and worked with musicians like Manu Dibango and Tony Allen. She released her first singles, Eye Adaba and Jailer in 2007 and they quickly became major hits. She has released many hit songs since then, including Fire On The Mountain, Be My Man and Bi’Ban Ke.

Well, Angelique Kidjo found a Nigerian musician that she can trust because she featured Asa on this track, which was also promoted by Rotary International. The track is a tribute to African women and to Rotary International’s efforts to end polio in Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPp7QVUS4U

32) ¡May Day! Ft Femi Kuti – Something In The Air (2015)
American hip hop and rock group ¡May Day! featured Femi Anikulapo-Kuti on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CkXjM6QY9s

33) J Martins ft Fally Ipupa - Jukpa (2010)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtR5HDvoBBs

34) Sound Sultan ft Wyclef Jean – King Of My Country (2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=029oJaBzOoI

35) D’Banj ft Kanye West – Scapegoat (remix) (2013).
D’Banj featured GOOD Music boss, Kanye West on this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuyxLYeoVqk

36) J Martins ft Cabo Snoop - Good Time (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2XWIyEH4Yw

37) Kanye West ft Raekwon, Pusha-T, Common, 2 Chainz, Kid Cudi and D’Banj – The Morning (2012)
D’Banj features on this track from the GOOD Music collaborative album “Cruel Summer”. The song contains a sample of “Get Me To Church On Time” from the musical My Fair Lady (my favourite version of that song is Yellow Man’s Getting Married).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTkgI9G9_vk

38) Yemi Alade ft Marvin – Kissing (2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSWWDe8uB9s

39) D’Banj ft Akon – Feeling The Nigga (Remix) (2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIzWdJWN_Ow

40) Ice Prince ft Gyptian – Magician (Remix) (2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h5rc2bXZHw
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Ishilove: 12:41pm On Jul 22, 2017
Another masterpiece from the Brainy one himself! cheesy

Naptu2 darling, please put a copyright notice on this thread because there are so many thieving bloggers waiting to steal your intellectual property.

7 Likes

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by naptu2: 12:42pm On Jul 22, 2017
41) 2Face ft Sauti Soul – Oya Come Make We Go (2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FeG9jP_omw

42) Awilo Longomba ft Yemi Alade – Rihanna (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3R8PCQaPY

43) Awilo Longomba ft P Square – Enemy Solo (2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJrPdBgirMY

44) Yemi Alade ft Diamond Platnumz – Kissing (2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlXZM0RoaiU

45) Flavour ft Sarkodie – Sake Of Love (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLGHiqOnUE

46) Tha Suspect ft Wyclef Jean, M.I, Vector Tha Viper, Eva Alordiah, Illbliss and Tha Suspect – I Know Send You (2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q80zpCCQH8

47) Ayo Jay ft Fetty Wap – Your Number (remix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR83SfI0P8

48) P Square ft Akon – Bedroom (2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNq7NNfh_0

49) Matt Houston ft P Square – E No Easy (2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkk7wKHGFRI

50) Timaya ft Sean Paul - Bum Bum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4tWUJKiT1M

50* ) R Kelly ft 2 Face, Fally Ipupa, Amani, Alikiba, JK, Movaizhaleine, Navio and 4x4 (ONE8) – Hands Across The World (2010).
Lots of multi-national corporations sponsored songs about African unity and cooperation on the eve of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. FIFA sponsored the official song of the tournament, Waka Waka – This Time For Africa by Shakira, featuring Freshly Ground, Coca-Cola sponsored K’Naan’s Waving Flag, Pepsi sponsored Akon’s Oh Africa and Sony Corporation sponsored this song.

They created a super group called ONE8 which was made up of R Kelly from the US, 2Face from Nigeria, Fally Ipupa from Congo, Amani from Kenya, Alikiba from Tanzania, JK from Zambia, Movaizhaleine from Gabon, Navio from Uganda and 4x4 from Ghana and this is the result of their collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWal3pQOKI

Bonus tracks

1) Buckshot Lefonque ft Maya Angelou and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti – I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (1994)
Buckshot La Funke was the pseudonym used by American jazz legend Julian “Cannonball” Adderley on the album “Here Comes Louis Smith” in 1958 (for contractual reasons).
Branford Marsalis (brother of Wynton Marsalis) created a band in 1990, which he wanted to use to blend jazz with rock and hip hop. He named the band Buckhot Lefonque in honour of Cannonball Adderley. Various artistes played, sang and rapped in the band.

Maya Angelou is one of the most famous American poets in recent times. She has won 3 Grammy Awards for her spoken word albums, she recited her poem, “On The Pulse Of The Morning” at Bill Clinton’s inauguration and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barrack Obama. She was very active in the civil rights movement and she worked with Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is the title of Maya Angelou’s 1969 autobiography. The book is about her life up to her 17th birthday, how she was raped at the age of 8, became a mother at the age of 16, how she endured racism and eventually became a confident black woman. It is her most famous book.

A book of her poetry called “Shaker, Why Don’t You Sing?” was published in 1983 and it contained the poem Caged Bird which is about the book.
This track consists of many recordings which were put together to form a whole. The lead vocals is from a recording of Maya Angelou reciting Caged Bird, the bassline and chords are sampled from Fela Anikulapo-Kuti’s [I]Beast Of No Nation[/i], the refrain is also sampled from Fela’s Beast Of No Nation (the portion in which Fela sings “O f’eshe lu, Aya kata” ) and Branford Marsalis plays the horn solo.

This track is not on the main list because it’s not exactly a collaboration. They didn’t bring Fela back into the studio to sing, rather they sampled his voice and music from Beast Of No Nations.

Raypower FM and Rhythm FM played and over played this song in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Rhythm FM played it at exactly 12pm every Sunday in the late ‘90s and early 2000s. Classic FM currently uses it in the advert for its book club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vnt7TBovKs

2) Hugh Masekela – Lady
I enjoy telling this story (which was originally told by Hugh Masekela on the BBC World Service).

South African jazz musician Hugh Masekela had not seen his good friend Fela Anikulapo-Kuti for many years, so when he came to perform in Nigeria, he took the opportunity to visit his friend & the following conversation ensued.

Hugh: I heard you got married to 27 women, where are they? I want to see them.

Fela: (Hisses) I divorced them.

Hugh: You divorced them? Why?

Fela: My girlfriends were jealous

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Hugh Masekela were obviously very good friends. This song is a cover of Fela’s 1972 hit Lady. Hugh Masekela also released a tribute song in memory of Fela (c2000). I can’t remember the name of the song, but the chorus goes, “There will never be another Fela”.

I enjoy listening to Hugh’s attempt to sing in Pidgin English. It’s hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QjO6rHHqpw

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by naptu2: 12:50pm On Jul 22, 2017
Tags

caveatemptor, johnie, joseph1832, AHCB, DanseMacabre, stagger

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by YoungBlackRico(m): 1:18pm On Jul 22, 2017
Nice one bro. Now we know Nigerian artists have been doing foreign collaborations way before these papangolo boys. smiley

9 Likes

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Ishilove: 2:25pm On Jul 22, 2017
h
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by 5starmilitant: 2:26pm On Jul 22, 2017
Now our government wants to become enemies of progress to our hardworking Artistes.
Ndi-Ala(in Psquare's voice).

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 22, 2017
those people mtn gave 10mb... no need to open this thread

hisses and walk away..
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 22, 2017
Buhari ft London health care - Nigeria money don suffer

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Tapout(m): 2:31pm On Jul 22, 2017
op u forgot I swear by ice prince ft french montana... He also has a track with freda gaz of Empire (tv series) cant remember the name of the song.... Wizkid has a track with wale, kardinal offishall had wizkid on the track repping for my city, what about come closer with drake... Lil kesh remix cause trouble with wale...ur list ain't complete

4 Likes

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 22, 2017
d
naptu2:
41) 2Face ft Sauti Soul – Oya Come Make We Go (2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FeG9jP_omw

42) Awilo Longomba ft Yemi Alade – Rihanna (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3R8PCQaPY

43) Awilo Longomba ft P Square – Enemy Solo (2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJrPdBgirMY

44) Yemi Alade ft Diamond Platnumz – Kissing (2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlXZM0RoaiU

45) Flavour ft Sarkodie – Sake Of Love (2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLGHiqOnUE

46) Tha Suspect ft Wyclef Jean, M.I, Vector Tha Viper, Eva Alordiah, Illbliss and Tha Suspect – I Know Send You (2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q80zpCCQH8

47) Ayo Jay ft Fetty Wap – Your Number (remix)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR83SfI0P8

48) P Square ft Akon – Bedroom (2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNq7NNfh_0

49) Matt Houston ft P Square – E No Easy (2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkk7wKHGFRI

50) Timaya ft Sean Paul - Bum Bum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4tWUJKiT1M

50* ) R Kelly ft 2 Face, Fally Ipupa, Amani, Alikiba, JK, Movaizhaleine, Navio and 4x4 (ONE8) – Hands Across The World (2010).
Lots of multi-national corporations sponsored songs about African unity and cooperation on the eve of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. FIFA sponsored the official song of the tournament, Waka Waka – This Time For Africa by Shakira, featuring Freshly Ground, Coca-Cola sponsored K’Naan’s Waving Flag, Pepsi sponsored Akon’s Oh Africa and Sony Corporation sponsored this song.

They created a super group called ONE8 which was made up of R Kelly from the US, 2Face from Nigeria, Fally Ipupa from Congo, Amani from Kenya, Alikiba from Tanzania, JK from Zambia, Movaizhaleine from Gabon, Navio from Uganda and 4x4 from Ghana and this is the result of their collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWal3pQOKI

Bonus tracks

1) Buckshot Lefonque ft Maya Angelou and Fela Anikulapo-Kuti – I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (1994)
Buckshot La Funke was the pseudonym used by American jazz legend Julian “Cannonball” Adderley on the album “Here Comes Louis Smith” in 1958 (for contractual reasons).
Branford Marsalis (brother of Wynton Marsalis) created a band in 1990, which he wanted to use to blend jazz with rock and hip hop. He named the band Buckhot Lefonque in honour of Cannonball Adderley. Various artistes played, sang and rapped in the band.

Maya Angelou is one of the most famous American poets in recent times. She has won 3 Grammy Awards for her spoken word albums, she recited her poem, “On The Pulse Of The Morning” at Bill Clinton’s inauguration and she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barrack Obama. She was very active in the civil rights movement and she worked with Martin Luther King and Malcolm X.

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings is the title of Maya Angelou’s 1969 autobiography. The book is about her life up to her 17th birthday, how she was raped at the age of 8, became a mother at the age of 16, how she endured racism and eventually became a confident black woman. It is her most famous book.

A book of her poetry called “Shaker, Why Don’t You Sing?” was published in 1983 and it contained the poem Caged Bird which is about the book.
This track consists of many recordings which were put together to form a whole. The lead vocals is from a recording of Maya Angelou reciting Caged Bird, the bassline and chords are sampled from Fela Anikulapo-Kuti’s [I]Beast Of No Nation[/i], the refrain is also sampled from Fela’s Beast Of No Nation (the portion in which Fela sings “O f’eshe lu, Aya kata” ) and Branford Marsalis plays the horn solo.

This track is not on the main list because it’s not exactly a collaboration. They didn’t bring Fela back into the studio to sing, rather they sampled his voice and music from Beast Of No Nations.

Raypower FM and Rhythm FM played and over played this song in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Rhythm FM played it at exactly 12pm every Sunday in the late ‘90s and early 2000s. Classic FM currently uses it in the advert for its book club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vnt7TBovKs

2) Hugh Masekela – Lady
I enjoy telling this story (which was originally told by Hugh Masekela on the BBC World Service).

South African jazz musician Hugh Masekela had not seen his good friend Fela Anikulapo-Kuti for many years, so when he came to perform in Nigeria, he took the opportunity to visit his friend & the following conversation ensued.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and Hugh Masekela were obviously very good friends. This song is a cover of Fela’s 1972 hit Lady. Hugh Masekela also released a tribute song in memory of Fela (c2000). I can’t remember the name of the song, but the chorus goes, “There will never be another Fela”.

I enjoy listening to Hugh’s attempt to sing in Pidgin English. It’s hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QjO6rHHqpw

5/10

6/10

8/10

8/10

respectively
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Jul 22, 2017
Beeatiful Onyinye.
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by seyoops4u: 2:35pm On Jul 22, 2017
Viral Video Of 2 Guys fighting Like girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjH5cWoCVeQ
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by Stanleyville(m): 2:35pm On Jul 22, 2017
Me I want to collabo wit Micheal Jackson..but he's dead!

1 Like

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by whitebeard(m): 2:38pm On Jul 22, 2017
Middle finger to all those that think I'll about my country base on what the western saying about her.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by misspineapple(f): 2:39pm On Jul 22, 2017
Me nd trey songz..We wont be singing tho

2 Likes

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by blessedweapon(m): 2:41pm On Jul 22, 2017
So I should roast meatpie angry angry
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by MrSarcasm(m): 2:44pm On Jul 22, 2017
Where's come closer by Wizkid FT Drake?

2 Likes

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by KingTom(m): 2:45pm On Jul 22, 2017
Guess who's coming to dinner Carolina. I love that song

1 Like

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by danduj(m): 2:45pm On Jul 22, 2017
Beautiful onyinye remix is the best collaboration for me.Rick Ross killed it

3 Likes

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by internationalman(m): 2:50pm On Jul 22, 2017
where is 2face and T-pain 2face, wyclef and sound sultan 2face, chakademus and plier 2face and marry Jane Blige. And finally where is Wizkid ft Jay Z, Eminem, Drake, And Rhianna?

2 Likes

Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by internationalman(m): 2:53pm On Jul 22, 2017
where is 2face and T-pain 2face and chakademus and plier 2face and wyclef and sound sultan 2face and Mary Jane Blige
finally where's Wizkid ft Jay-Z, Eminem and Rhianna?
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by YETFILMS: 2:53pm On Jul 22, 2017
We see
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by internationalman(m): 2:55pm On Jul 22, 2017
where is 2face and T-pain 2face and chakademus and plier 2face and wyclef and sound sultan 2face and Mary Jane Blige
finally where's Wizkid ft Jay-Z, Eminem and Rhianna?
Re: 50 Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Artistes by itsinfochris(m): 2:55pm On Jul 22, 2017
naptu2:
Tags

caveatemptor, johnie, joseph1832, AHCB, DanseMacabre, stagger

Nice

SAY THE TRUTH!! Guys, What’s the Craziest Thing You’ve Ever Done To Attract A Lady You Like?
http://www.cutechrisblog.com/2017/07/say-truth-guys-whats-craziest-thing.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bullet Blasts Event Organizers For Playing Nigerian Music In Ghana (Video) . / P-Square - Personally / Download Full Tracks: MI Abaga Album – Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.