Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,100 members, 7,835,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Aftermath Of Supreme Court Ruling And Nec Meeting: Matters Arising And My Advice - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Aftermath Of Supreme Court Ruling And Nec Meeting: Matters Arising And My Advice (348 Views)

Supreme Court Ends Four-decade Old Land Dispute In Anambra / Aftermath Of Ghana Gas Explosion And How It Happened (video) / Indimi Sisters Call Aisha Buhari Gold Digger, Aftermath Of Zahra's Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Supreme Court Ruling And Nec Meeting: Matters Arising And My Advice by impact231(m): 3:37pm On Jul 22, 2017
AFTERMATH OF SUPREME COURT RULING AND NEC MEETING: MATTERS ARISING AND MY ADVICE TO THE YOUTHS OF OGUN PDP

We all recall that for about fourteen months, there was deep division in our party as it concerns the national leadership of the PDP. The two consecutive conventions which held in Portharcourt last year did not resolve the impasse as both Senator Ali Modu Sheriff and Senator Ahmed Makarfi laid claim to the leadership, not until the Supreme Court, in its own wisdom, ruled in favour of Makarfi. 

Let me again use this medium to congratulate Senator Ahmed Makarfi and his committee members for the landmark judgement. A lot of commentary has greeted the Apex court decision, and whether it was sound in logic and points of law or otherwise, every party member who loves PDP must abide by it. 

It is important again to say very quickly that, both men are respected leaders of the Party having both served as two-term governors of their states and also as senators in the National Assembly. Their wealth of experience will always be needed to rebuild this party going forward. To that effect, the judgement of the Apex court is victory for all, in a case of no victor, no vanquished.

The PDP has also proven to be a party with rules and order; and should such order be compromised, it will be tested to the full length of the law. I must state however that, while the tussle lasted between Makarfi and Sheriff, I related with both men, whether it be Sheriff’s National Working Committee or Makarfi’s National Caretaker Committee. 

I exchanged correspondences with both leaderships at various times. I attended several meetings called by both leaderships at their instances and in my capacity as the chairman of the party in ogun state. The decision by Ogun PDP under my leadership, to relate with both men stemmed out of our belief that at some point, a political solution will either prevail or a landmark judicial pronouncement will halt the crisis; the latter being the case. Therefore, it makes no difference the direction the judgment favoured as it was purely a national leadership tussle that has no bearing with state chapters of the party, and all we needed to do is to align and that we have done to recognize Makarfi.

I returned from Abuja last night after appreciable participation in the NEC meeting and other significant layers of meeting with the national leadership. Without unduly rehashing what has been eloquently said by some people while I was away, it is pertinent I make some clarifications that are fundamental to ogun state. One of the resolutions of the NEC meeting was that it approved all congresses conducted before the Porthacourt conventions with the exception of those states with caretaker committees that were set up after the victory of Senator Ali Modu-Sheriff at the Appeal Court. It therefore infers that nothing has changed the status quo in ogun PDP as the party remains under the control of the state executive which I humbly chair.

Whatever were the sound-bites that happened at the just concluded NEC meeting in Abuja which may have been mischievously twisted and reported by the dissident group, is nothing but the usual pranks of Ladi Adebutu and Sikirulai Ogundele. They merely repeated the same script they acted at Porthacourt the last time out. As it is now constant with their character and in alliance with Fayose, they relied on the forged/inaccurate accreditation list used at that convention in May 2016 to grant access into the NEC meeting of July 2017.

I vehemently challenged that fraud – despite near-physical assault and intimidation by Ladi Adebutu’s thugs – to a logical conclusion (with all relevant documents). This prevented Sikirulai Ogundele from participating in the meeting not until he was smuggled in towards the end of the meeting; but again, he was sent out by the National Chairman.

I must also inform that no national officer of the party or any security agent harassed or prevented me from my duties in Abuja. The persons that attempted to embarrass me were Sikirulai Ogundele and one political thug called Wole Osinaike – a close ally of Gbenga Daniel and Ladi Adebutu. They indeed acted on the prompting of Ladi who gave Wole N250,000 to attack me. They attacked me with guns within and outside the meeting premises but I have since taken that up at the appropriate quarters.

I read different versions of this incident and other general reactions of our youths on the PDP Whatsapp loops; and have come to an unfortunate conclusion. The conducts of these youths are unbecoming and sad. They are going to be the leaders of tomorrow and no matter how much you castigate the leaders and insults elders of today, tomorrow will be defined by the actions of today which will be recorded by posterity.

At the age of 29 (twenty-nine) in 1974, I bought my first house in England for £8,000 which is today worth £320,000. I never had a rich or influential father, but by dint of hardwork and respect to elders, I am where I am today. Most of our youths are towing the wrong path with the insults and uncouth words being lavishly used on the loops when most of these youths in their thirties and early forties don’t even have a land talk less of house.

Many hardly have decent cars to drive, decent occupation or can give decent care to their young families. I believe these should concern them and preoccupy their mind. You never can tell who will help you tomorrow and in the event that you have poured dirt on your future helper, what do you do? We should think of tomorrow (what Yorubas call Atunbotan) in all we do.

And this is to everyone; Politics is only a means to an end. It is not a profession and it doesn’t last forever. There are no permanent friends or enemies in politics but permanent interest. Do not let the interest of today destroy the possibilities of tomorrow. I envisage a PDP that is peaceful and united to forge a common front against the opposition. To achieve this, respect to the rule of law and sacrifice form everyone will be needed. 

The PDP under my leadership will continue to promote equity, fairness and justice. 2019 is a defining year for all of us and for me personally, I can only stay at a vantage position to watch the youths make progress but it will be up to everyone, the youths particularly, to have a deep rethink and help our leaders take the right decision that will be in the interest of the majority.

Finally, my mandate, which includes that of the executive committees from the ward, local government and state levels - cannot be taken by anyone except through the judgement of superior courts. I am assuring everyone that under my watch, we shall return to the path of electoral prosperity. I therefore appeal for unity from all sections of the party so that together,  we can achieve our goal. 

My doors are always opened and I restate that the party is big and open enough to accommodate everyone irrespective of our desires and ambitions. This message is my personal opinion which I do not envisage that it should be subjected to debates, arguments or brickbats. God bless Ogun PDP.

Signed:

Engr. Adebayo Dayo

State Chairman, Ogun PDP

22/07/2017

(1) (Reply)

Lagos: Many Trapped As 4-storey Building Collapses / How To Get Six Packs In A Month: #go From Slim To Steel / Apartment Building Of 4 Flats FOR SALE!!! Gowon Estate Egbeda N30,000,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.